MrH's Garage Carousel

Strut your greasy stuff!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

MrH42 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:20 pm So long, lesbian battle wagon.

:nice:
Wife had a justaBolt rental for a week or so a few years ago and liked it a lot. Interested in following your journey with this. :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:31 pm
Valkyrie wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:22 pm :wrong:

Max the :plac: -ternal has had like 3 Musk-mobiles?
Oh duh. I guess I forgot because they were all :plac: within eight weeks or so.
Yeah the guy had a Plaid, which is pretty :dedong: His Tesla flipping with only transactional losses was pretty baller.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

So do women find electric cars more approachable like an electric lawn mower is more approachable? No things going boom? Totally sexist but possible yes?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:03 pm So do women find electric cars more approachable like an electric lawn mower is more approachable? No things going boom? Totally sexist but possible yes?
I think they also get sold on the “I’m helping the environment!” bullshit as well.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

In the city, avoiding gas stations is a genuine safety benefit of an EV.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Valkyrie wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:57 pm In the city, avoiding gas stations is a genuine safety benefit of an EV.
That's what Max says.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

I'm :notsure: about the dirtiness claims, but the sketchy bums are real. If you want to get shot/stabbed, hang out at gas stations.

It's the same thing in rural areas too, to be fair. "Hey Jesse go get the truck, there's queers here"

<banjo music intensifies>
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Valkyrie wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:38 pm I'm :notsure: about the dirtiness claims, but the sketchy bums are real. If you want to get shot/stabbed, hang out at gas stations.

It's the same thing in rural areas too, to be fair. "Hey Jesse go get the truck, there's queers here"

<banjo music intensifies>
My gas station experiences over the past few weeks really have echoed the Max commentary over the past few years as well.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Yeah, I don't really think I'm saving the world at all. I remember looking at a bunch of life cycle assessments back in college. The best thing we can all do is just to continue driving our current vehicles, and not produce more.

I hate the EV tax credits too. But don't hate the player, hate the game. The game sucks, but I'll play it if I think it's a financial edge for myself. $7500 tax credit + overinflated residual on Outback made this a no-brainer from a payback scenario. It'll end up being slightly less than a 2 year payback, and then it's thousands per year cheaper. If you could include the better residual value too, it's even better. That was the main reason for doing this.

But silent operation, not having to go to a gas station once a week, and super cruise? That's all just gravy. Commuting is much much better in this than the Outback.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I live in a Costco bubble to avoid the mean streetz. Not only will I not pay 60 cents more for gas (which is what it is), I simply gas each car every week as part of my routine. My wife refuses to fuel until the reserve light comes on because that's what doods are for.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Bolt got a big crack in the windshield from a tiny rock chip it looks like. No warranty coverage because it didn't pass the pen test to find that tiny chip. $500 deductible and two safelite appointments, and I finally have a Super Cruise calibrated new windshield in place. Would have been $1200+ if I didn't use insurance. Brutal.

Finally installed the clutch spring and OEM Audio + speakers.

- Clutch spring completely transforms the car. The weird clutch was always off-putting. Now it feels like any other sports car. Not a noticeable different in weight really.
- Took probably 2 hours of wrestling with it to get the stock one out. Very frustrating. But $20 well spent. Wish I had done this the day I got the car

- Audio system so far seems like a huge improvement
- Podcasts are also much clearer. The frequency filtering by speaker really makes everything much clearer
- Huge bass from the door speakers. Had to turn it down quite a bit. I don't think there's any chance I get the sub and amp now. This is plenty
- Pricey for what it is, but probably worth it. Less than $100 a speaker is hard to beat.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MrH42 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:00 am Bolt got a big crack in the windshield from a tiny rock chip it looks like. No warranty coverage because it didn't pass the pen test to find that tiny chip. $500 deductible and two safelite appointments, and I finally have a Super Cruise calibrated new windshield in place. Would have been $1200+ if I didn't use insurance. Brutal.

- Clutch spring completely transforms the car. The weird clutch was always off-putting. Now it feels like any other sports car. Not a noticeable different in weight really.
- Took probably 2 hours of wrestling with it to get the stock one out. Very frustrating. But $20 well spent. Wish I had done this the day I got the car

- Podcasts are also much clearer. The frequency filtering by speaker really makes everything much clearer
- Huge bass from the door speakers. Had to turn it down quite a bit. I don't think there's any chance I get the sub and amp now. This is plenty
- Pricey for what it is, but probably worth it. Less than $100 a speaker is hard to beat.
This one https://mtecind.com/products/scion-frs- ... gt-86-2014 ?

You've convinced me, the clutch is def weird. I drove the car to a hike with the wife yesterday and was super self conscious that my shifts were not smooth :lolol:

Interested in the audio piece as well although I'm not quite ready to drop the 500 bones or whatever as our expenditures have been rather high (been planning a big trip for August/September).

Sorry to hear about the windshield, big pain in the anus. Sucks that happened without a chip you could catch first as those $10 chip repair kits work quite nicely.

Do you find you still don't see many 2022+ Toyobarus? I am in Detroit this week and saw a base 86 and they still catch me off guard every time, I almost never see them around CLT. I am always hoping to spot a red BRZ Limited and be like 'ah, how's my order treating you?'

:lolol:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:28 pm
MrH42 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:00 am Bolt got a big crack in the windshield from a tiny rock chip it looks like. No warranty coverage because it didn't pass the pen test to find that tiny chip. $500 deductible and two safelite appointments, and I finally have a Super Cruise calibrated new windshield in place. Would have been $1200+ if I didn't use insurance. Brutal.

You've convinced me, the clutch is def weird. I drove the car to a hike with the wife yesterday and was super self conscious that my shifts were not smooth :lolol:

Interested in the audio piece as well although I'm not quite ready to drop the 500 bones or whatever as our expenditures have been rather high (been planning a big trip for August/September).

Sorry to hear about the windshield, big pain in the anus. Sucks that happened without a chip you could catch first as those $10 chip repair kits work quite nicely.

Do you find you still don't see many 2022+ Toyobarus? I am in Detroit this week and saw a base 86 and they still catch me off guard every time, I almost never see them around CLT. I am always hoping to spot a red BRZ Limited and be like 'ah, how's my order treating you?'

I'm finally starting to see them more. But of course I'm always in the minivan when I do.

No bro waves. :foreveralone:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:21 pm First non tesla of EV of DFD? :neat:
Yup
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Yep, that's the one.

I still see about 1 or 2 second gen twins a week. I drive 350+ miles a week though, so I see a lot of cars I guess.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MrH42 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:26 am

Yep, that's the one.

I still see about 1 or 2 second gen twins a week. I drive 350+ miles a week though, so I see a lot of cars I guess.
I ordered this nasty bitch.

I'm getting a bit of :plac: -itis with engine reliability issues but at least going to keep this thing through the fall for a TOTD trip.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Valkyrie wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:57 pm In the city, avoiding gas stations is a genuine safety benefit of an EV.
:dat: there are times a bum hangs out there in dc as well. Also more expensive that the surrounding suburbs. For someone that commutes to dc for the past couple years (not including covid) I always avoided dc stations like plague
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:24 am I ordered this nasty bitch.

I'm getting a bit of :plac: -itis with engine reliability issues but at least going to keep this thing through the fall for a TOTD trip.
Same. I'm hopeful a solution will be found eventually that doesn't require going away from a wet sump. EJs have a worse oiling system than the FA (supposedly), but there are sufficient solutions for that application to stick with a wet sump on those for all but the most hardcore race builds.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:48 pm
D Griff wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:24 am I ordered this nasty bitch.

Same. I'm hopeful a solution will be found eventually that doesn't require going away from a wet sump. EJs have a worse oiling system than the FA (supposedly), but there are sufficient solutions for that application to stick with a wet sump on those for all but the most hardcore race builds.
Yeah guys. If you really want to track a car you may just want to find the coin for a C6GS or Z.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:12 pm
coogles wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:48 pm

Yeah guys. If you really want to track a car you may just want to find the coin for a C6GS or Z.
:notwrong:

But either one of those is way too much car for a first track car. The 86 was supposed to be a learning tool, not a hold-on-for-dear-life-and-try-not-to-die experience like a C6Z would be in popping my HPDE cherry.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

C6GS would be about the same money as my 86, but I wanted something new with warranty I wouldn’t have to fuck with :lolol:

Consumables cost is also significantly lower. I’m still thinking :doomed: it’s pretty darn unlikely at anyone here’s skill level/with stock grip levels.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I also just hit some suburban twisties after getting dinner with my parents and this car is a lot more fun where I actually live then a Corvette is IMO.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:20 pm I also just hit some suburban twisties after getting dinner with my parents and this car is a lot more fun where I actually live then a Corvette is IMO.
That's pretty :neat: even though my :plac: thoughts are all over the place, unless i wait for too long, id probably get the brz or gr86.

Also :tits: family lives in a town between wv and va and theres this place I found on instagram that happens to be 2 hours away from them. When i googlemapped the directions, the route mostly involved with twisties. So I gotta have that car, maybe not that fun on i81. But :ohwell:
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

The potential reliability issue is totally overblown. How many engines have popped so far? A couple? They're going to sell something like 12k GR86 and 5k BRZ in the US this year. A couple of cars out of 17k/year in sales is not a huge amount. And I think all but maybe one is getting replaced by warranty? And they'll probably cave and replace that one too.

Of all things to worry about in my life, this is not one of them. This sounds a lot more like looking for reasons to :plac: than legitimate concern.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

MrH42 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:41 am The potential reliability issue is totally overblown. How many engines have popped so far? A couple? They're going to sell something like 12k GR86 and 5k BRZ in the US this year. A couple of cars out of 17k/year in sales is not a huge amount. And I think all but maybe one is getting replaced by warranty? And they'll probably cave and replace that one too.

Of all things to worry about in my life, this is not one of them. This sounds a lot more like looking for reasons to :plac: than legitimate concern.
:dat:

I still don't see how a warranty will be denied. Yes if you walk in and tell them "I was tracking the car and it blew up" but you get it towed out of the track and to the dealer and tell them you were going to church story it would be weird to get a denial.

Are toyotas sophisticated enough to log all engine run times/g forces with geolocation ? If so that's a different issue all together.