Do you even invest?

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I think it is time to start getting the fuck out of the market y'all so much shit is brewing in the world... this won't end will.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:32 pm I think it is time to start getting the fuck out of the market y'all so much shit is brewing in the world... this won't end will.
I'm putting all my money in Ethereum. :derp:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

[user not found] wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:49 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:32 pm I think it is time to start getting the fuck out of the market y'all so much shit is brewing in the world... this won't end will.
But war is good for the economy!
We've been at war for 17 years.... economy moves independently from it. We went up and down since.
Been going up too long...
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:48 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:39 pm
Sure. $1000 to fly, $400 for a hotel, plus whatever we actually do... $2k+ for a weekend.
Nah. I flew to Florida and back for $200 in February.

Hotels in NYC aren't that expensive. We've done a night or two for $150/night before.
:bruh: We don't live in TroyWorld, what we're saying is all lies.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:51 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:49 pm

But war is good for the economy!
We've been at war for 17 years.... economy moves independently from it. We went up and down since.
Been going up too long...
Yea, right now I'm trying to figure out what to do with my cash. Put it in the market and it'll tank for sure...it's just been going up for too long. With all the :bs: we're over due for a serious correction.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:48 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:39 pm
Sure. $1000 to fly, $400 for a hotel, plus whatever we actually do... $2k+ for a weekend.
Nah. I flew to Florida and back for $200 in February.

Hotels in NYC aren't that expensive. We've done a night or two for $150/night before.
Show me a flight that leaves between 5 and 7 PM nonstop on a Friday from LEX to NY and comes back on the following Sunday at a reasonable (early afternoon) hour for $200 for 2 people... and on a weekend where there are things that we want to see specifically.

I just ran an example: September 22-24 would be a great time for me to go. Cheapest flight that works (there's really only one, and even it would hinge on the wife getting out of work 90 minutes early and driving separately to the airport) is $700. Plus airport parking for 2 cars because we have to drive separately ($50), plus NYC transportation (???), plus 2 nights at a hotel ($300+), 2 nights of shows/drinks ($500+), 2 dinners ($100+), 2 breakfasts ($40+), and whatever the hell we do during the day on Saturday ($100+)... pushing $2000+ again unless you go full :scrooge: and don't do shit in the city.

and fuck, I just realized that my example flight actually is into Newark so we'd still probably miss the late Friday shows by the time we got from the airport to the hotel to the show... so to really do it would require taking Friday off work on top of everything else.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:53 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:40 pm

Show me a flight that leaves between 5 and 7 PM nonstop on a Friday from LEX to NY and comes back on the following Sunday at a reasonable (early afternoon) hour for $200 for 2 people... and on a weekend where there are things that we want to see specifically.

I just ran an example: September 22-24 would be a great time for me to go. Cheapest flight that works (there's really only one, and even it would hinge on the wife getting out of work 90 minutes early and driving separately to the airport) is $700. Plus airport parking for 2 cars because we have to drive separately ($50), plus NYC transportation (???), plus 2 nights at a hotel ($300+), 2 nights of shows/drinks ($500+), 2 dinners ($100+), 2 breakfasts ($40+), and whatever the hell we do during the day on Saturday ($100+)... pushing $2000+ again unless you go full :scrooge: and don't do shit in the city.

and fuck, I just realized that my example flight actually is into Newark so we'd still probably miss the late Friday shows by the time we got from the airport to the hotel to the show... so to really do it would require taking Friday off work on top of everything else.
Or... she takes a Friday off and you do a mini vacation like normal people?

Too many constraints.
...so same fucking thing, but either leaving on Thursday night and adding another hotel night or anytime before 5 or so on Friday. Even adding stops to the flights, $697 shows as the cheapest option.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:04 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:55 pm

...so same fucking thing, but either leaving on Thursday night and adding another hotel night or anytime before 5 or so on Friday. Even adding stops to the flights, $697 shows as the cheapest option.
Fly out Friday morning? Also how far in advance are you looking for flights? If you go 2-3 months out, they get quite a bit cheaper.
Thursday night and ANYTIME Friday, the cheapest is $697 and that even assumes you pick a really shitty flight back on Sunday. Real prices with a decent Sunday choice are $900+

I'm doing exactly what I said in my earlier post: Looking at 9/22-24 because I know for sure that I'm free that weekend and there are people playing in NYC who I have always wanted to see who never tour much of the rest of the country. The weekend gets picked based on show schedules, weather, and us being available - not flight prices. I'm not going to wander the city in fucking February because it's cheaper.

Read. The. Posts.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:12 am
troyguitar wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:08 am

Thursday night and ANYTIME Friday, the cheapest is $697 and that even assumes you pick a really shitty flight back on Sunday. Real prices with a decent Sunday choice are $900+

I'm doing exactly what I said in my earlier post: Looking at 9/22-24 because I know for sure that I'm free that weekend and there are people playing in NYC who I have always wanted to see who never tour much of the rest of the country. The weekend gets picked based on show schedules, weather, and us being available - not flight prices. I'm not going to wander the city in fucking February because it's cheaper.

Read. The. Posts.
How long have you known about these shows in NYC? Did you look at flight tickets 3 months ago? Have you considered getting a credit card to share with the wife that accumulates free miles?

Bottom line is this: These are shows that you've always wanted to see. Just do it. Life is too fucking short to pinch pennies 24/7 and not make your own stories. You can save a few dollars here and there and not blow massive amounts of :troywax: on everything.

Quit being so damn angry.
Sure, just spend all of the money all of the time! What's a few grand here and there? YOLO! Just eat ramen and watch TV every day so that you can afford to :troywax: once or twice a year! :gtfo:

I looked these up today to have a concrete example for you showing how ridiculously expensive it is to go do things in cities. I'm not angry at anything other than your inability to read and understand basic :math: concepts. There will always be shit that I can't afford to do, that's life. I don't keep up on who's playing NYC on what days because it's too expensive. Even with half price :wap: :alpo: deals it's too expensive. :dealwithit:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Too many constraints.
Take friday off. Drive to Cincinnati (~70 miles from LEX) and fly for way cheaper with Frontier airlines (if you don't care about amenities or whatever the fuck.)

$125/person round trip.

https://goo.gl/flights/vu2w
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

Too many constraints.
Hotel: Vanderbilt YMCA Hostel, close to United Nations Building ( :caspian: )

$264 for 2 nights
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

I literally found you a trip for around $550 for two people (give/take taxes+fees) for transportation & lodging. I'd assume everything else would be around the differential from $1,000 which means that your trip can be had for 1/3 of the price that you have in your mind.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:23 am
troyguitar wrote:

That's not how you get cheap flights.

1) drive to a real airport not lex or sdf
2) be flexible with flight times and use PTO
:dat:

Round trip flights to NYC are less than $200 from Charlotte all day long, I've booked many of them.

Rooms are a bit expensive, yes, but look around and you can find something for $200/night.

Food in NYC can be cheap... :mahtroy: special, $0.99 slices 🍕. Allison and I spent $750 on food for 14 days in Hawaii, likely the most expensive state.

The shows are expensive as fuck, no getting around that.

Simply put, you're choosing saving an asinine amount for retirement instead of enjoying your younger years. That's fine, that's your choice. Joke will be on guys like me and [user not found] in 30 years but these are just choices we all get to make in the free world.
troyguitar

razr390 wrote:I literally found you a trip for around $550 for two people (give/take taxes+fees) for transportation & lodging. I'd assume everything else would be around the differential from $1,000 which means that your trip can be had for 1/3 of the price that you have in your mind.
Still well over $1000 all-in, if not more like $1500 to do it even close to right... and involves 4 hours of driving on top plus staying in a likely shitty place. It simply isn't worth it and that's fine. Can't do it all.
razr390

troyguitar wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:21 am
razr390 wrote:I literally found you a trip for around $550 for two people (give/take taxes+fees) for transportation & lodging. I'd assume everything else would be around the differential from $1,000 which means that your trip can be had for 1/3 of the price that you have in your mind.
Still well over $1000 all-in, if not more like $1500 to do it even close to right... and involves 4 hours of driving on top plus staying in a likely shitty place. It simply isn't worth it and that's fine. Can't do it all.
The Vanderbilt YMCA has good reviews. For fucks sake you camp out at autox, any place that is remotely nice is doable if you're that :scrooge: and :aintcare:
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:52 am Investment thread becomes thread encouraging folks to spend money. Only on dfd.
It's investing in your own story!
Apex
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:57 am
[user not found] wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:52 am Investment thread becomes thread encouraging folks to spend money. Only on dfd.
It's investing in your own story!
:notbad:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

That's fair. Gotta pick and choose what you value.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I haven't checked my 401k or Roth in a while, but my other little investment account took a dump over the last week or two (while I was on vacation). Ah well.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:03 am

That's fair. Gotta pick and choose what you value.
:dat: is all I'm saying. Everything has an opportunity cost. Y'all act like I don't do anything when I'm out of town about 30 weekends a year and often do fun random shit during the week, hell I do something fun every single day even if it's "only" jamming on the guitar by myself which is :fuckyeah: one of my favorite things to do anyway. That's all because I generally avoid sinking large amounts into short-lived things like super expensive meals/shows/flights/hotels - not because I save a lot.

I prefer to make every day/week good rather than be bored for weeks on end saving up for a single :fuckyeah: weekend. It's a different philosophy and works better for me. Blowing all of your "fun money" :jizz: on 5-10 days per year leaves you :flaccid: for the other 360.
ChrisoftheNorth

So, I should exchange all my cash for bitcoins?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:00 pm WAit.... this one takes the fucking cake...
TE’S SIGNATURE SPECIALTY BLOODY MARY
$35
Tito’s vodka, Todd’s sinful bloody mary blend, stacked with
a slider, crispy chicken wing, chilled shrimp, corn dog pup, stuffed olives, celery, carrot, pickled asparagus
$35 for a bloody mary?!
Sounds like a drink and a meal. Still :waxer: :doe:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:58 pm So, I should exchange all my cash for bitcoins?
Without further delay! Also, encumber your house with a Bitcoin Second Mortgage!
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Just put the whole 401k into a money market fund and bailed on the stock market. Had been waiting for the first actual signs in large caps that problems were on the horizon since signs had already been popping up in small-cap stocks. Locking in ~15% returns over the last 12 months and calling it good for the moment.

:doomed:
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:36 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:58 pm So, I should exchange all my cash for bitcoins?
Without further delay! Also, encumber your house with a Bitcoin Second Mortgage!
Oh good call. I'll ask :crang: for the name of his broker.

I do feel like I completely missed the boat on the most recent market run. I was looking for shit to invest in the other night, and everything is showing signs of peaking or bubble status. I think I'll hold off until things tank and move some cash into the market in some long positions. There's zero point in getting in now.