What is Life

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Irish wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:17 pm I got some good/surprising news on the insurance front. It appears that they are going to write some sort of addendum to their plan for cases like mine where a medical issue caused the dental problem. The head of HR for Sinclair Broadcasting Group (wife's employer) has gave us a verbal "its going to be completely covered, including prosthodontics".

I have gone to two different oral surgeons. One was the dude that removed all my upper teeth. His office staff has the worst bedside manner of any "doctor" i have ever been to, but his medical staff is top shelf. His anesthesiologist, upon hearing I was cancer free, made it a point to stop in and tell me that she had prayed everyday for me. Made my eyes leak a little. He has a super busy, successful practice with a waiting room containing furniture (and artwork) who's value likely surpasses every lick of furniture I have ever owned in my life...combined. He wants to do 6-8 upper implants and 5 lower and the upper will necessitate bone grafting. He doesn't deal in the prosthetics. He referred me to a "delicate genius" who charged me $180 to tell me that I needed $40000 worth of teeth. This really pissed me off but I was in "Doctor visit mode" at the time and I was suffering sticker shock so I paid without complaint. Anyway....Total all-in is likely $120K and 10 months until I have a permanent mouth rebuild.

The other dude has a country road practice outside a local college town. He only wants to do 4 top and 4 bottom implants and he does his own prosthetics. His total is $70k. I've seen him twice and both times he has pushed so hard on my surgical sites that the bottom of my mouth feels super uncomfortable for weeks afterwards. He seems to be infatuated with the work that was done there (which is really impressive but is also as uncomfortable as fuck) and he seems like he wants to get in there and do all sorts of modifications that the other guy says is unnecessary. He is, however, much more willing to work with the insurance, is substantially cheaper and his turn around is only 6 months. But I really fear he is a sawbones, quack mfer.

I am hoping to be able to get exactly what procedures are covered in writing and then go get at least one more opinion. Hopefully one that will fall between the elitist and the neanderthal.
Wow. You still have a long road ahead. Sorry dude. :fuckyeah: about your insurance coverage. While I have serious problems with Sinclair Broadcasting and their buying up of local news outlets all over the country to spew far right wingnut :bs: while passing it off as news, I am very glad they're stepping up for you.

Best of luck finding an oral surgeon in the "goldilocks" zone. Keep us posted.

p.s. , sorry for the Sinclair rant. Didn't mean to impugn your wife's employer.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

wap wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:24 pm
Irish wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:17 pm I got some good/surprising news on the insurance front. It appears that they are going to write some sort of addendum to their plan for cases like mine where a medical issue caused the dental problem. The head of HR for Sinclair Broadcasting Group (wife's employer) has gave us a verbal "its going to be completely covered, including prosthodontics".

I have gone to two different oral surgeons. One was the dude that removed all my upper teeth. His office staff has the worst bedside manner of any "doctor" i have ever been to, but his medical staff is top shelf. His anesthesiologist, upon hearing I was cancer free, made it a point to stop in and tell me that she had prayed everyday for me. Made my eyes leak a little. He has a super busy, successful practice with a waiting room containing furniture (and artwork) who's value likely surpasses every lick of furniture I have ever owned in my life...combined. He wants to do 6-8 upper implants and 5 lower and the upper will necessitate bone grafting. He doesn't deal in the prosthetics. He referred me to a "delicate genius" who charged me $180 to tell me that I needed $40000 worth of teeth. This really pissed me off but I was in "Doctor visit mode" at the time and I was suffering sticker shock so I paid without complaint. Anyway....Total all-in is likely $120K and 10 months until I have a permanent mouth rebuild.

The other dude has a country road practice outside a local college town. He only wants to do 4 top and 4 bottom implants and he does his own prosthetics. His total is $70k. I've seen him twice and both times he has pushed so hard on my surgical sites that the bottom of my mouth feels super uncomfortable for weeks afterwards. He seems to be infatuated with the work that was done there (which is really impressive but is also as uncomfortable as fuck) and he seems like he wants to get in there and do all sorts of modifications that the other guy says is unnecessary. He is, however, much more willing to work with the insurance, is substantially cheaper and his turn around is only 6 months. But I really fear he is a sawbones, quack mfer.

I am hoping to be able to get exactly what procedures are covered in writing and then go get at least one more opinion. Hopefully one that will fall between the elitist and the neanderthal.
Wow. You still have a long road ahead. Sorry dude. :fuckyeah: about your insurance coverage. While I have serious problems with Sinclair Broadcasting and their buying up of local news outlets all over the country to spew far right wingnut :bs: while passing it off as news, I am very glad they're stepping up for you.

Thanks mang.... no worries about the rant, I hate them too.....but I will take their money....
wap

Irish wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:46 am
wap wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:24 pm

Thanks mang.... no worries about the rant, I hate them too.....but I will take their money....
:word:
By all means, take as much of their money as you can.
Irish

So, wife unit fought the good fight and beat the insurance company into submission. They're paying for 90% of the full upper and lower implants. Surgery is on Thursday. They are doing 6 implants up top and 6 on the bottom. I am just hoping that there isn't any further nerve damage that makes my mouth any more numb.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

that's great news
brain go brrrrrr
wap

Irish wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:31 am So, wife unit fought the good fight and beat the insurance company into submission. They're paying for 90% of the full upper and lower implants. Surgery is on Thursday. They are doing 6 implants up top and 6 on the bottom. I am just hoping that there isn't any further nerve damage that makes my mouth any more numb.
:fuckyeah:
Rarely do you hear about insurance companies doing the right thing. Good for Mrs. Irish for winning the battle.
:rage: and :disappoint: that it ever had to come to a battle in the first place, :doe:
For-profit health care :disgust:
Irish

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:41 am that's great news
Thanks man.
wap wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:20 pm
Irish wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:31 am So, wife unit fought the good fight and beat the insurance company into submission. They're paying for 90% of the full upper and lower implants. Surgery is on Thursday. They are doing 6 implants up top and 6 on the bottom. I am just hoping that there isn't any further nerve damage that makes my mouth any more numb.
Rarely do you hear about insurance companies doing the right thing. Good for Mrs. Irish for winning the battle.
:rage: and :disappoint: that it ever had to come to a battle in the first place, :doe:
For-profit health care :disgust:
Yeah, she is nothing if not tenacious......
Irish

The Surgery was somewhat of a shitshow..... scheduled too late and then went long because yet another DENTAL oral surgeon was totally enamored with the work that my gifted MEDICAL oral surgeon did on the floor of my mouth.....

This guy did waaaaaaay more than what was discussed. He says that the outcome will be worth it, but I very much doubt I will ever know if that is true.

What I DO know is true is that because he went so long, the Novocain started to wear off and the swelling started to interfere before the prosthodontist was done placing the the teeth.

So after 4.5 hours of surgery under general anesthetic and 3.5 hours in her chair (where she had placed 75% of the screws and fixturest, she pulled the plug, pulled it all out and sent me home.

I was not amused.

I insisted that we try again the following day but when I got there the swelling was still too great.

Saturday morning at the 36 hour mark I looked like I went a few rounds with Tyson. It was a very uncomfortable weekend.

But by today she was able to place the uppers......

BEFORE

AFTER

The lowers will have to wait until the swelling comes down after the overzealous handiwork of an egotistical buffoon........
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Dang, haven't looked in this thread in a long time. That's a damn roller coaster ride @Brian, but glad it is finally working out OK for you.
wap

Fuck man, that's some brutal shit you went through, Irish. :(
But :fuckyeah: on finally getting your uppers in! And may I say, you look :jimp: in your new teefus. :hubba:
Irish

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:36 am Dang, haven't looked in this thread in a long time. That's a damn roller coaster ride @Brian, but glad it is finally working out OK for you.
Thanks man. Yeah its been a rough 8 months but hopefully, the worst is all over.
Irish

wap wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:42 am Fuck man, that's some brutal shit you went through, Irish. :(
But :fuckyeah: on finally getting your uppers in! And may I say, you look :jimp: in your new teefus. :hubba:
:wub: Thanks for your support Olde friend
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Trevor1342 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:53 pm I’ve been through quite a bit of crap in the past 3 years or so. Let’s not make this a sob story thread because no one wants a bitch fest, right? Let’s talk about life. Dedicate this thread to betterment for all. :jizz:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Irish wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:51 pm The Surgery was somewhat of a shitshow..... scheduled too late and then went long because yet another DENTAL oral surgeon was totally enamored with the work that my gifted MEDICAL oral surgeon did on the floor of my mouth.....

This guy did waaaaaaay more than what was discussed. He says that the outcome will be worth it, but I very much doubt I will ever know if that is true.

What I DO know is true is that because he went so long, the Novocain started to wear off and the swelling started to interfere before the prosthodontist was done placing the the teeth.

So after 4.5 hours of surgery under general anesthetic and 3.5 hours in her chair (where she had placed 75% of the screws and fixturest, she pulled the plug, pulled it all out and sent me home.

I was not amused.

I insisted that we try again the following day but when I got there the swelling was still too great.

Saturday morning at the 36 hour mark I looked like I went a few rounds with Tyson. It was a very uncomfortable weekend.

But by today she was able to place the uppers......

BEFORE

AFTER

The lowers will have to wait until the swelling comes down after the overzealous handiwork of an egotistical buffoon........
Looking good brah.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Trevor1342
Spinbait
Spinbait
Drives: 2020 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor

dubshow wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:26 pm
Trevor1342 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:53 pm I’ve been through quite a bit of crap in the past 3 years or so. Let’s not make this a sob story thread because no one wants a bitch fest, right? Let’s talk about life. Dedicate this thread to betterment for all. :jizz:
HA! I thought it was bad back then! I need to shut up and quit bitchin’.
2020 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor/Long Range (Acceleration Boost + FSD pack)
2018 Jetta S 1.4T - Silk Blue
wap

Had a follow up visit with my cardiologist six months after my last follow up and 9 months since my surgery. Blood work looks good; kidney and liver function looked great, cholesterol was fine, bp and heart rate were good, new valve sounded good. Incision healing fine. Essentially no negatives. Don't have to go back for a year, when I'll have another echocardiogram with an immediate follow up with him.
All in all, :notbad:

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:23 pm Had a follow up visit with my cardiologist six months after my last follow up and 9 months since my surgery. Blood work looks good; kidney and liver function looked great, cholesterol was fine, bp and heart rate were good, new valve sounded good. Incision healing fine. Essentially no negatives. Don't have to go back for a year, when I'll have another echocardiogram with an immediate follow up with him.

That's max fucking power Ron. Great news in a sub par news week.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

wap wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:23 pm Had a follow up visit with my cardiologist six months after my last follow up and 9 months since my surgery. Blood work looks good; kidney and liver function looked great, cholesterol was fine, bp and heart rate were good, new valve sounded good. Incision healing fine. Essentially no negatives. Don't have to go back for a year, when I'll have another echocardiogram with an immediate follow up with him.

fantastic news. the best. even more so being that there is alot of negative news lately in my circles
brain go brrrrrr
wap

Thanks guys. :wub:
It was a nice bit of relief to hear.
Irish

:fuckyeah: Happy to hear this, my golden oldie....
wap

Irish wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:55 am

:fuckyeah: Happy to hear this, my golden oldie....
Thanks, luv. :)