Tar Thread, New, Used, Abused.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Dp
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:37 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:35 pm

This is what I found. From this site. 255/40/19 are basically the same diameter as Oem. Is that legit?

https://tiresize.com/calculator/
I always use a calculator to figure that kind of stuff out.

The only challenge will be fitting the width. Go out and turn your wheels to full lock and see how much space you have between the tire and the wheel liner...
Your suggested size gets me the tires I need

Any issues to look out for doing this other than what you mentioned?

Speedometer will show a slower speed than actual speed?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:49 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:37 pm
I always use a calculator to figure that kind of stuff out.

The only challenge will be fitting the width. Go out and turn your wheels to full lock and see how much space you have between the tire and the wheel liner...

Speedo will read slower, might feel a bit slower to accelerate, fuel economy might be worse (wider tires, more drag), tires will be more expensive, but this might be a wash if there's more options in the larger size.

Also, need to pay close attention to the recommended rim width for the tires your considering and make sure they'll fit on your wheels.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:51 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:49 pm

Speedo will read slower, might feel a bit slower to accelerate, fuel economy might be worse (wider tires, more drag), tires will be more expensive, but this might be a wash if there's more options in the larger size.

Also, need to pay close attention to the recommended rim width for the tires your considering and make sure they'll fit on your wheels.
Got it
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Abused.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

4zilch wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:12 pm Abused.Image

What causes this? My M3 tires are wearing in a similar fashion... too many "high G" turns?
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

max225 wrote:
4zilch wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:12 pm Abused.Image

What causes this? My M3 tires are wearing in a similar fashion... too many "high G" turns?
The tearing you’re seeing in the pic is overheating of the tire, likely caused by under-inflation.

Over inflation can cause tearing as well, but it’s generally deeper, narrower and fingernail shaped.

For reference, because I’m not sure if car tires experience the same sort of patterns as motorcycles, here’s a pic of the rear tires on the FiST. The rubber buildup is normal (gumballs) though there is a tiny bit of tearing at the edge, likely due to localized heat build up. Image
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...