Griff :plac: on nears full mast... Cayman review and other musings

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

quite an experience griff. Could not wait for the review for the c5 on the track!
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:33 pm Been talking about this for a bit... the Issue with the Cockster is that it will depreciate like a rock until it hits 4 figures like the 1st/2nd gen models
isnt that the point of a sports car? to show that you dont care about sensible things?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:39 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:35 pm
:wrong:
Why is your experience valid and not mine? Zero 986S's that I looked at had :dillerman: service records. Zero out of 30+ cars.
Because have you actually SOLD a Porsche? It's one thing to buy one, it's another to sell. There's a reason all those cars were on your :scrooge: radar.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

dubshow wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:58 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:33 pm Been talking about this for a bit... the Issue with the Cockster is that it will depreciate like a rock until it hits 4 figures like the 1st/2nd gen models
isnt that the point of a sports car? to show that you dont care about sensible things?
Well if you can get another model that may even be newer and depreciate less, it tips the scale into that buying decision. It is one of those things you discover when doing the research. I used to give 0 fucks about that until getting burned several times after selling cars... you live and you learn.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:51 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:39 pm

Why is your experience valid and not mine? Zero 986S's that I looked at had :dillerman: service records. Zero out of 30+ cars.
Because have you actually SOLD a Porsche? It's one thing to buy one, it's another to sell. There's a reason all those cars were on your :scrooge: radar.
So if you get a "discount" when you BUY the fucker, why is it so bad that you have to sell it for the same discount?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:08 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:51 pm
So if you get a "discount" when you BUY the fucker, why is it so bad that you have to sell it for the same discount?
Because here at DFD we dominate both sides of the transaction brah. Basically the world owes us stuff for free.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:11 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:08 pm

Because here at DFD we dominate both sides of the transaction brah. Basically the world owes us stuff for free.
:dat:

Also, because even if you sell something cheap, you'll still deal with a :mindblown: amount of people asking for records and :bs:

Selling a Porshhaaaa is a terrible experience at any price point.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:17 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:24 pm As some of you may have noticed, I've been eyeing/thinking about changing up the sheet metal. I think I'd like to stay in a somewhat focused sports car, because at this stage of life, I can. This will be my DD/only car, but because of my road job, I really only use my car on the weekends. In a lot of ways, it's tough to really "upgrade" from the C5 from a driving/performance standpoint, it is faster and has more grip than most things, and I'd like to stay in that realm. However, I would prefer something a bit more compliant and nicer that doesn't scrape everywhere. After tracking the Elise SC 220, I really fell in love with the feel and dynamics of the car, so I've somewhat landed on the Cayman as a much less terrible to live with version of that. More on other cars I'm thinking about in a later post, but for now, I'll review the Cayman as I took the ultimate test drive this weekend.

For my gf's 30th birthday, I got her a trip to Las Vegas, she'd never been. I was already in the area for work, so she met me and we saw the sights and took a day trip to Zion. I took the opportunity to rent a 2007 Cayman S on Turo. This was a 5/7 experience. I paid $235 for three days in the car and we drove it about 450 miles. I think this is stupid cheap and told the dudebro he should start charging more. The car was in 3/7 condition with 109k miles and a few issues but it still gave me a great opportunity to try the car out in a lot of different environments. Prior to Allison arriving, I was able to take the car to Nevada 158 by Mount Charleston to hoon for a few hours. We also spent six hours road tripping to and from Zion from Las Vegas.

So, the review:

The drive:

Power is 4/7. It's definitely fun, it feels about as quick as the C5. I'm not sure if the non S will feel a bit underpowered, I'd like to try one out as well. Delivery is... OK, not really what I expected. It feels pretty torquey and has good powah at 2K plus which is nice, it felt a little bit underwhelming in the upper revs. It's fun to wind it up to 7500, but the Corvette is more exciting at 4k plus, which was a bit surprising given they're known as torque monsters and I think of Porsches as a bit more high strung. All in all though, the power is solid and acceleration is strong. I took it up to about 100 a few times, but his tires weren't balanced all that well, so it got a little sketchy above that, but was still pulling well.

The transmission was somewhat of a love hate, mostly leaning towards love. The clutch feel is great and I was great with it immediately, unlike some cars where it takes some time to get used to the action. The gearing is much shorter than my car, which I love. Short gearing is just the best. The gripe is the shifter feel, it kind of blows, worse than a C5 which is known as being terrible. I guess this is just a mid engine thing.

The handling is great. Steering feels good to me, although I missed the small steering wheel I have in my car. What can I really write about the handling of a Porsche Cayman? It's obviously impressive.

The other stuff:

I love the looks, especially this one in dark green with the deep dish black wheels and carbon fiber spoiler.

The interior is pretty nice. This car was a bit worn, but still quite comfy on our road trip. The seats aren't Focus ST Recarbro level, but they hold you in better than most and feel good. It's not a quiet car, but much better than the C5 as far as road noise. Hearing the engine right behind you is neat but unobtrusive. It's narrower than the C5 which I like, but still spacious enough inside and utility is pretty solid with the hatch and frunk.

The sound is great, just not BROla/Ellis great.

The owner was really cool and we chatted about the car a lot. He said it's been perfectly reliable, despite clearly being a "run hard and put away wet" type car. It also felt great running hard, not the "made of glass" feeling I've gotten driving older BMWs.

That was a long post... any other questions about the car, let me know. Overall I really enjoyed it and am thinking hard about considering further. For even more :popcorn: , I signed up for a track day in the :poorvette: on 3/3, so we'll see how that impacts my opinion :wasteful: .
Very similar to my experience.
On the pros,
Better interior
Very usable inside
Decent power
Great handling

On the downside
Meh power (which is why I was super hesitant on the non S)
Meh shifter

What are those :ramz: and tires on that thing?
He said they were stock... 285s on the back, 235s on the front, the tires were not very good and not a matched set.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:28 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:17 pm
Very similar to my experience.
On the pros,
Better interior
Very usable inside
Decent power
Great handling

On the downside
Meh power (which is why I was super hesitant on the non S)
Meh shifter

What are those :ramz: and tires on that thing?
He said they were stock... 285s on the back, 235s on the front, the tires were not very good and not a matched set.
:wat: that shit is not stock at all...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:29 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:28 pm

They were Porsche wheels :iono:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:48 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:29 pm

They were Porsche wheels :iono:
Those aren't stock wheels.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

How are they Porsche wheels? Center caps?

I have not seen Porsche deep dish wheels period. Let alone black for that gen
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:sass: :whocares:
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:53 pm :sass: :whocares:
Just curious how that car was fucked with... those Ramz are kind of :fullretard:

You mentioned how it vibrated etc
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:54 pm
Just curious how that car was fucked with... those Ramz are kind of :fullretard:
He claimed it was stock... It was certainly a bit beat on, the owner was a college bro. I mean, ya get what you pay for in an 11 year old $77/day Turo Porsche. I think the wheels look really good though.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

You mentioned how it vibrated etc
Yeah, there was one "new" tire that didn't match the rest and it vibrated at 90+, I think due to imbalance. Dudebro was up front about that at least, and was like "it's still safe to go fast" :lolol:
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:55 pm

He claimed it was stock... It was certainly a bit beat on, the owner was a college bro. I mean, ya get what you pay for in an 11 year old $77/day Turo Porsche. I think the wheels look really good though.
Form>function. $77 a day is not cheap either for a car worth 19k ... however his shit is prob getting beat on.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:57 pm

Form>function. $77 a day is not cheap either for a car worth 19k ... however his shit is prob getting beat on.
It's pretty cheap :doe: based on supply/demand and actual market value. Most Caymans on Turo are over $150. It also most closely aligned to what I would get, 987, manual, etc.
troyguitar

What other mid engine :manuel: tranny sports car can you rent for less money in this country? :wtf:
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:59 pm
It's pretty cheap :doe: based on supply/demand and actual market value. Most Caymans on Turo are over $150. It also most closely aligned to what I would get, 987, manual, etc.
Yep makes sense for you to rent it doe...

So thoughts now?! Gonna go ballz deep in the P car ?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:00 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:59 pm

I'm debating it. I really liked it, but it wasn't quite an "OMG I HAVE TO HAVE IT" type thing. I want to try the other cars I've mentioned out in a bit better capacity than :bs: :dillerman: test drives, I think the 370Z is most likely to make me as :dedong: as the Gayman. I've heard rumors that the next Z might be a little smaller to compete more in the FRZ world... I wonder if that will be a thing anytime soon. An FRZ with a six cylinder would be awesome.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:04 pm

I'm debating it. I really liked it, but it wasn't quite an "OMG I HAVE TO HAVE IT" type thing. I want to try the other cars I've mentioned out in a bit better capacity than :bs: :dillerman: test drives, I think the 370Z is most likely to make me as :dedong: as the Gayman. I've heard rumors that the next Z might be a little smaller to compete more in the FRZ world... I wonder if that will be a thing anytime soon. An FRZ with a six cylinder would be awesome.
A 370z is smaller than an frz. as is. Just make sure you rent a decent example with the sport package. I miss mine ...

Hard to say “I have to have it” when it’s over 100k miles and a rental ...
troyguitar

OMG I HAVE TO HAVE IT reaction doesn't usually happen unless it's got 400+ hp, :manuel: :dong: to fondle, and makes V8 noises in my experience. The cars I've had that reaction to:

:poorvette:

Coyote Performance pack Rustang

Other cars are more subtle.
max225

I drove a 2013 PP mustang 5.slow and the gayman back to back. I’d never pick the mustang over it. It was worse in every aspect. However I haven’t driven a 2015+ yet
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:13 pm

OMG I HAVE TO HAVE IT reaction doesn't usually happen unless it's got 400+ hp, :manuel: :dong: to fondle, and makes V8 noises in my experience. The cars I've had that reaction to:

:poorvette:

Coyote Performance pack Rustang

Other cars are more subtle.
:word: That is basically how I ended up with a :poorvette: , but that "OMG I HAVE TO HAVE IT" reaction doesn't really mean it's the best car, kind of like how you seem more satisfied from the R8 than the C5.