Mr :225: Drives a Vapemobile (WRX STI)

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

I'd get a '16 or '17, though, BTW. '15s had much higher rates of spun bearings and an even worse head unit. I'd guess most of the '15s that were going to spin bearings already have, but I'd still stick to the '16+ cars.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

coogles wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:50 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:40 am Max I'm pretty sure that car had an aftermarket short throw shifter installed. I didn't notice any gear whine on my car coming in today. You might hear the gearbox a bit if you're pegging it under 2k RPM, but even then it's faint at best.
I only get gear whine under engine braking in second, none of the higher gears. Can't say I ever downshift to 1st slowing to an intersection. OEM short shifter is :fuckyeah:, btw.
Sounds similar to what I heard ...
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:41 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:24 am

You getting one now? :impressive:

The epic low depreciation seems to align well with your values. I'd rather a :manuel: German Camry :doe:
I kind of agree with this for Max, but it's really up to him. The STI has lower depreciation and a better sounding engine. Possibly more grip in turns when driving hard. The Fakesport seems to have a better power band, far better interior, better sound system, fewer rattles, better AC system, better MPG, lower insurance. I think it would get old pretty quick for our resident badgewhore. Even though the STI doesn't depreciate much, it's still an expensive ass car between insurance, fuel (esp on the highway, you'll be lucky to get 22 MPG at 80 MPH), maintenance (3,750 mile oil changes), tires, etc.

For me, I like the old school approach to the STI and how it's rough around the edges far more than the added comfort of the BMW. Not everyone will appreciate that day in day out.
I won’t lie, I’d much rather m car, or maybe even another fake sport when I’m done. It was nice to get this perspective :doe:

3750 oil changes ? Is this thing on Dino oil ?
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:50 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:40 am Max I'm pretty sure that car had an aftermarket short throw shifter installed. I didn't notice any gear whine on my car coming in today. You might hear the gearbox a bit if you're pegging it under 2k RPM, but even then it's faint at best.
I only get gear whine under engine braking in second, none of the higher gears. Can't say I ever downshift to 1st slowing to an intersection. OEM short shifter is :fuckyeah:, btw.
The OEM short shifter felt more precise than the stock one but to me it wasn't worth the $400 price or whatever it was for a 10% throw reduction. I wouldn't have rejected a car with it but it wasn't a necessity for me. :iono:
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:52 am I'd get a '16 or '17, though, BTW. '15s had much higher rates of spun bearings and an even worse head unit. I'd guess most of the '15s that were going to spin bearings already have, but I'd still stick to the '16+ cars.
The bearings were corrected quickly doe. Only early builds seem to have that issue.
The head unit is truth doe. The starshit unit is better than that piece of garbage embarrassment they shipped with in 2015.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:02 am

I kind of agree with this for Max, but it's really up to him. The STI has lower depreciation and a better sounding engine. Possibly more grip in turns when driving hard. The Fakesport seems to have a better power band, far better interior, better sound system, fewer rattles, better AC system, better MPG, lower insurance. I think it would get old pretty quick for our resident badgewhore. Even though the STI doesn't depreciate much, it's still an expensive ass car between insurance, fuel (esp on the highway, you'll be lucky to get 22 MPG at 80 MPH), maintenance (3,750 mile oil changes), tires, etc.

For me, I like the old school approach to the STI and how it's rough around the edges far more than the added comfort of the BMW. Not everyone will appreciate that day in day out.
I won’t lie, I’d much rather m car, or maybe even another fake sport when I’m done. It was nice to get this perspective :doe:

Synthetic :troywax: per the :manuel:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:04 am

:wat:

3750 recommended by the :manuel: ?

Must be some ridiculous requirement that most won't follow to give the :dillerman: an out for warrantying blown engines.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

:butwhy: any modern car does 10k?
What does blackstone say ?
I don’t think I’d ever get a used sti, unless I got a good feel for the owner. They are the most ragged on cars for sale on the market
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:06 am

Must be some ridiculous requirement that most won't follow to give the :dillerman: an out for warrantying blown engines.
:manuel: says 6,000, but the OEM Subaru oil is this new resource conserving lightweight 5w30 shit that breaks down to a 20 weight in a couple thousand miles. It just isn't robust enough to keep the bearings healthy in an EJ. A stout diesel oil like Rotella T6 will easily do 6k, but Subaru gets pissy when you run anything other than what they spec.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:18 am

:manuel: says 6,000, but the OEM Subaru oil is this new resource conserving lightweight 5w30 shit that breaks down to a 20 weight in a couple thousand miles. It just isn't robust enough to keep the bearings healthy in an EJ. A stout diesel oil like Rotella T6 will easily do 6k, but Subaru gets pissy when you run anything other than what they spec.
That's awful.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

I think so. I thought that's what it was. I'll double check.
Johnny_P

:forumbreh: :forumbreh: :forumbreh:

Also don't forget to get a pro dyno tune for engine longevity, the factory tune is as dangerous as the factory oil.

:rolleyes:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:30 am

Also don't forget to get a pro dyno tune for engine longevity, the factory tune is as dangerous as the factory oil.

OEM engineers are morans. Duh.
max225

You’d think If it was a “traktor” motor it would on regular gas and super tech Dino oil every 10k miles maybe.

My tigerII Motor is calling for every 10-15k on Mobil 1
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:30 am :forumbreh: :forumbreh: :forumbreh:

I guess. I've read way too many UOAs of people using piss water oil in EJs and starting to see silver (bearings) in the results.
max225

coogles wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:42 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:30 am :forumbreh: :forumbreh: :forumbreh:

I guess. I've read way too many UOAs of people using piss water oil in EJs and starting to see silver (bearings) in the results.
Willing to bet said ppl also weren’t stock
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:44 am
coogles wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:42 am

Willing to bet said ppl also weren’t stock
Some were, some weren't.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:28 am

That's awful.
:dat: :wtf:
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Synthetic at 6k. 3750 is the if you live in a dust bowl or track it sched. Seriously 6k is no problem on full synthetic. Its in the book.
Davestr

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:33 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:30 am

OEM engineers are morans. Duh.
For real - the less you read the forums about the STi the better. 6k on good oil is no problem. Good fuel and drive it. The cars are durable and capable. Sorry but a tune is not required to 72mph on cruize control or have fun on the back roads occasionally. Its a fkn car with an old and proven motor. Read less, drive more, maintain wisely. Period.
Johnny_P

Davestr wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:05 pm

Synthetic at 6k. 3750 is the if you live in a dust bowl or track it sched. Seriously 6k is no problem on full synthetic. Its in the book.
Well shit then I'm good for 2 years between oil changes :koolaid: :neek:
Davestr

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:13 pm

Well shit then I'm good for 2 years between oil changes :koolaid: :neek:
LOL - yearly is way good!
max225

FUCK YOU ASSHOLE, WHAT DO YOU KNOW? MY BOY HAS A 650WHP TUNED STI RUNNING ON E85 FOR THE LAST 5 MILES AND IT HAS BEEN FLAWLESS MAINLY BECAUSE HE CHANGES THE OIL WITH KAMIKAZE SPEC UNICORN TEARS.
YOU KNOW NOTHING DO YOU EVEN HAVE A BACKGROUND IN THIS SHIT? I HAVE BEEN RACING KARS FOR YEARS AND NEVER BROKE MORE THAN 3 MOTORS DUE TO SOME FUCKED UP SHIFT PATTERN.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:02 pm

FUCK YOU ASSHOLE, WHAT DO YOU KNOW? MY BOY HAS A 650WHP TUNED STI RUNNING ON E85 FOR THE LAST 5 MILES AND IT HAS BEEN FLAWLESS MAINLY BECAUSE HE CHANGES THE OIL WITH KAMIKAZE SPEC UNICORN TEARS.
YOU KNOW NOTHING DO YOU EVEN HAVE A BACKGROUND IN THIS SHIT? I HAVE BEEN RACING KARS FOR YEARS AND NEVER BROKE MORE THAN 3 MOTORS DUE TO SOME FUCKED UP SHIFT PATTERN.
All of this. :bravo:

Dat :corn: powered Jap rocket :doe: OE engineers know literally nothing about the cars they make. It's sad that you have to go to the aftermarket just to make the car safe to drive. I know plenty of people that went stage 2 before break-in and their cars have been running totally fine for a month, compared to the one dudebro I found on a forum that had a stock STI spin its bearings. You basically HAVE TO install a catch can, tune, and change the oil to kamikaze unicorn tears ASAP.
Davestr

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:02 pm

Max you are so ready. Get dat brim flat and fire at will on the forums!!! Pep Boys code reading for all my tuned friends LOL!!!!!! :)