Mercedes CLA 250 review, the car I thought i'd hate!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

but instead I kind of love it...
Frankly this thing is a grown up GTI...

I have no idea who complained about lack of refinement or shitty cabin in this car. It is a very premium experience, on par or better than the A3.

I will post pics once I take better ones but frankly this is an AWESOME CAR. Yes shoot me, I love the baby dick benz but it is better than the C class that I drove for an extended period of time.

Here is what is great about it.
1. Great lights
2. Great moon roof
3. Great seats
4. Most of the interior is super premium
5. Very good steering, it is pretty heavy and responsive similar to Mk6 GTI/TDI/R
6. Nice suspension over 90% of pavement
7. Tons of refinement, no windnoise, almost no road noise etc.
8. Decent trunk
9. Very decent stereo.
10. Engine has a great punch especially from 2500-6k rpm
11. Insane turning radius, you can easily park this thing anywhere.
12. high 20s in terms of MPG

Here is what sucks...
1. Useless back seat, unless your passengers are 5'6" or shorter, and i seriously mean USELESS.
2. Back visibility is blah
3. EVERYTHING IS A GOD DAMN OPTION, this 32k car had 14k options and frankly they make the car great the base car would be absolute shit. This car is not worth 46k period, that's insanity. Is it a good car FUCK YES, is it a 46k car? No
4. The transmission refuses to shift, or shifts by itself even in manual mode, the DSGAY is better in that regard. however in sport mode it allows for very decent driving.
5. I hate the way it looks like a squished bug... :disgust:

Here is a video of what the brakes looked like after i took it through the canyons for 5 min... and yes this is with the fancy "AMG" package

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swd-CgBJP-Y

Honestly I would recommend this car over a C class to most ppl, it is a far far better driving experience and it is downright FUN. I wanted to hate it, I really did, but surprisingly I loved it. It is one awesome machine
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

But to make it great, you have to option the hell out of it...so is it really that great considering it's so expensive?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote:But to make it great, you have to option the hell out of it...so is it really that great considering it's so expensive?
You are correct, every single thing I loved about the car was in fact an option over the sticker
the seats, the nice nav, the amg wheels, the moon roof, the leather on the dash + doors, the lights and the stereo. That's 11k right there.
It is a tough call... there really isn't another car that is THIS nice and small for the money save for a A3. However, the A3 will be comparably priced if similarly equipped.

There really aren't many compact luxury cars that ride nicely... the 3 series is worse, the 2 series only comes in 2 door etc.

Everything else is some kind of compromise... in interior amenities or what not.
ChrisoftheNorth

I've got a very limited experience with recent stuff (sitting in at carshow, I know :bs: ), but I think a base A3 is nicer than the base CLA and would possibly require less options.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Oh matter of fact... I just remembered another car that would compare... a Mini Pooper... however the CLA refinement and interiors are are :mindblown: over the mini except the JCWs... that would be a tough call, I'd think I'd go JCW for the money.
ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote:Oh matter of fact... I just remembered another car that would compare... a Mini Pooper... however the CLA refinement and interiors are are :mindblown: over the mini except the JCWs... that would be a tough call, I'd think I'd go JCW for the money.
I don't think the MINI interior touches a CLA or A3.

They're nice, but not that nice.

JCW would be more fun for the money, for sure.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I think the C class looks way better than the CLA, but I can appreciate the CLA's role in the segment
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Nice review Max. That conflicted car sells well here. A friend of the frau has a loaded one and she paid 50k+. Nice but Im looking around at slightly used others that have more performance and or space. Say a lightly used Macan etc among others. Loaded Golf-R etc etc. They depreciate here terribly to be honest. Of course what doesnt now but If I had to go baby sedan from large maker I think S3 is the ticket.
max225

razr390 wrote:I think the C class looks way better than the CLA, but I can appreciate the CLA's role in the segment
Looks and certain interior aspects the c is worlds better. But the cla drives better ... much better
max225

Davestr wrote:Nice review Max. That conflicted car sells well here. A friend of the frau has a loaded one and she paid 50k+. Nice but Im looking around at slightly used others that have more performance and or space. Say a lightly used Macan etc among others. Loaded Golf-R etc etc. They depreciate here terribly to be honest. Of course what doesnt now but If I had to go baby sedan from large maker I think S3 is the ticket.

A used macan here is 50-60k a used cla just like
Mine for the weekend is 35-36k.

I really have to drive a newer egg r to see, but I'd pick this over a mk6 i think. Tough call really.

It is a very conflicting car
ChrisoftheNorth

Yea, but then you're in a baby bitch MB, and everyone knows it. :disgust:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I think they look pretty dopey
max225

Detroit wrote:Yea, but then you're in a baby bitch MB, and everyone knows it. :disgust:
Exactly, ugh. Frankly I don't remember driving a car that was this great combo in a while.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Got pics?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChrisoftheNorth

Such poverty.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote:Such poverty.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
:lolol: :dat:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

It's ugly doe?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:iono: I don't think it's particularly ugly.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote::iono: I don't think it's particularly ugly.
Not particularly attractive either.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

There's something weird about its proportions that just doesn't sit right with me

:dedong:
ChrisoftheNorth

rockchops wrote:There's something weird about its proportions that just doesn't sit right with me

Looks too poor?
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote:
rockchops wrote:There's something weird about its proportions that just doesn't sit right with me

Looks too poor?
No panda nest.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Apex wrote:
Detroit wrote: Looks too poor?
No panda nest.
This can be solved easily with trip to Marshalls as :[user not found]: mentioned, or Target. Maybe Bed Bath and Beyond but I don't know if you'd have time.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote:
Apex wrote: No panda nest.
This can be solved easily with trip to Marshalls as :[user not found]: mentioned, or Target. Maybe Bed Bath and Beyond but I don't know if you'd have time.
:lolol: Nice.