Half a Car: The Motorbike Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

4zilch wrote:So there's Chinese Groms now?

http://louisville.craigslist.org/mcd/5868679589.html
yes, but I'm not :scrooge: ing out on this, Honda or :gtfo:
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

:mindblown:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote:

yes, but I'm not :scrooge: ing out on this, Honda or :gtfo:
I've always wanted a Hongda
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
4zilch wrote:
$2500 seems to be the absolute bottom for these things, it's what I bought mine for and I haven't really seen many cheaper than that in my area. I really thought that the market would be saturated with this things by now, but evidently people are hanging onto them...
Yea, thats what i see around here too, and for that I'd rather pay a few hundred more and start off with a 100% new one, that unless i stumble upon one for less with very few mods, but the right ones; tires for example.
and suspension....but's it's usually gold chinese pegs from ebay and LEDs.

Mine had tires, handle bars, pipe, crash sliders, and an extra set of plastics +all of the OEM take-offs. It was a 5/7 find for the price.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

4zilch wrote:Can we talk some more about how :jimp: this bike is.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:yesth:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote:
Yea, thats what i see around here too, and for that I'd rather pay a few hundred more and start off with a 100% new one, that unless i stumble upon one for less with very few mods, but the right ones; tires for example.

Mine had tires, handle bars, pipe, crash sliders, and an extra set of plastics +all of the OEM take-offs. It was a 5/7 find for the price.
id consider paying closer to full clap if I found one done up exactly how I'd do it, but its mostly stance bros with 800 dollar exhausts with ebay led's and fender eliminators that think their shit is worth 3500 'casue I have 5k into this bike'
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
4zilch wrote:

id consider paying closer to full clap if I found one done up exactly how I'd do it, but its mostly stance bros with 800 dollar exhausts with ebay led's and fender eliminators that think their shit is worth 3500 'casue I have 5k into this bike'
People who jack the price up because of their add-ons make me :rage:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

...and their ad usually has the statement "I know what I have, don't low ball me."
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I'd also like to point out that this thread is approaching the poorvette thread post count. Motorcycles are making in-roads at DFD
Apex

4zilch wrote:I'd also like to point out that this thread is approaching the poorvette thread post count. Motorcycles are making in-roads at DFD
:ohdang: dem 2 wheels catching up in here.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

No :poorvette: needed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Such motorcycles

Next year I'll be part Jew with tars in tow.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

welp, i guess today is the day to have that grom talk. Track day on December 10th, and I'd like to ride some before that.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

i think i like the yellow

brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote:i think i like the yellow

:fuckyeah:
Apex

Big Brain Bradley wrote:i think i like the yellow

:doit:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

http://www.mmpowersportskentucky.com/de ... craigslist

Damn, $3749 brand new. Looks like Fall/Winter is the time to get a bike... Maybe by next year I'll be ready to grab something.

How much less fun on small roads are the slightly bigger+taller bikes? Like Versys 650 LT - seems like that might be a more practical thing to ride more often perhaps and isn't ridiculously expensive or huge. 100 extra lbs and 2" taller but about the same wheelbase and similar-ish geometry to the smaller sportbikes.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote:http://www.mmpowersportskentucky.com/de ... craigslist

Damn, $3749 brand new. Looks like Fall/Winter is the time to get a bike... Maybe by next year I'll be ready to grab something.

How much less fun on small roads are the slightly bigger+taller bikes? Like Versys 650 LT - seems like that might be a more practical thing to ride more often perhaps and isn't ridiculously expensive or huge. 100 extra lbs and 2" taller but about the same wheelbase and similar-ish geometry to the smaller sportbikes.
I usually buy the previous model year motorcycle in February. Winter + leftover = good deals available.

Something like a Versys is great on small roads it's still a fairly light bike @460lbs wet. Taller bikes can be a little intimidating to new riders in the low speed (parking lot) handling department but largely depends on seat height on how top heavy it is, but it's easy to learn with some practice.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote:

I usually buy the previous model year motorcycle in February. Winter + leftover = good deals available.

Something like a Versys is great on small roads it's still a fairly light bike @460lbs wet. Taller bikes can be a little intimidating to new riders in the low speed (parking lot) handling department but largely depends on seat height on how top heavy it is, but it's easy to learn with some practice.
:dat:

My experience is limited, but I really liked my upright seating position bike. I could ride all day and not be worse for the wear than i would have been due to seating position. I fell like if I was on a ninja or something, i'd get tired of it quick.
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

4zilch wrote:

:notbad:

Looks like there are still new 2015 Versys 650 LT out there in :fuckyeah: green for as little $6k.

I see that they're putting out a 300 versys for 2017 too, could be cool. Also comes in :fuckyeah: green w/ ABS but has goofy looking 19" front wheel.

I'm :notsure: on the whole "bigger wheels = offroad" thing on bikes. On a car it's the opposite. What makes bikes different?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

seen that. Its a diller, diller fees, diller taxes..... I'd rather pay a couple hundred bucks more for a 2017
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote:
4zilch wrote:

:notbad:

Looks like there are still new 2015 Versys 650 LT out there in :fuckyeah: green for as little $6k.

I see that they're putting out a 300 versys for 2017 too, could be cool. Also comes in :fuckyeah: green w/ ABS but has goofy looking 19" front wheel.

I'm :notsure: on the whole "bigger wheels = offroad" thing on bikes. On a car it's the opposite. What makes bikes different?
Taller wheels w/ generally narrow tires = easier to "sink" in soft surfaces and find traction. Taller wheels also traverse gaps/holes/crevices easier than 17" rims. 17" usually equal less rotating mass, better tire selection, and larger tire contact patch.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

4zilch wrote:
troyguitar wrote: :notbad:

Taller wheels w/ generally narrow tires = easier to "sink" in soft surfaces and find traction. Taller wheels also traverse gaps/holes/crevices easier than 17" rims. 17" usually equal less rotating mass, better tire selection, and larger tire contact patch.
:dat:

The interstate I frequent has been breaking apart with narrow but deep potholes, have to keep an extra look out for those.