Do you even Crock-Pot bro? DFD Cooking Thread

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:24 pm Perhaps :)
Happy Birthday fellow DFD'er from 1982.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Ew, born in 1982? What a terrible year.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Damn youngsters.

Happy birthday!
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

stripethree wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:07 pm
1982 x 3

HBD :[user not found]:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:40 pm I made steaks. Wife made cake. Almond icing and cake, raspberry filling.

Happy Birthday :[user not found]: !!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

stripethree wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:07 pm
:dat:

Also in that '82 club
brain go brrrrrr
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Lunch for the week, probably more because there is so much. Chicken tortilla soup. I got the recipe from a coworker and tweaked it a little bit. Came out awesome.

Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

stripethree wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:43 pm Lunch for the week, probably more because there is so much. Chicken tortilla soup. I got the recipe from a coworker and tweaked it a little bit. Came out awesome.

I saw this on your insta and did want. Nom.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Forester & Fiata

Made my twist on the Reuben - rye bread, chipotle aioli (instead of thousand island), turkey, provolone, and sauerkraut, and a salad topped with tomatoes, avocado, and a creamy cilantro dressing.

SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

haleyann wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:55 pm Made my twist on the Reuben - rye bread, chipotle aioli (instead of thousand island), turkey, provolone, and sauerkraut, and a salad topped with tomatoes, avocado, and a creamy cilantro dressing.

Very yum. I don't like thousand island, so yours sounds great.
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Forester & Fiata

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:23 pm
haleyann wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:55 pm Made my twist on the Reuben - rye bread, chipotle aioli (instead of thousand island), turkey, provolone, and sauerkraut, and a salad topped with tomatoes, avocado, and a creamy cilantro dressing.

Very yum. I don't like thousand island, so yours sounds great.
Not a fan of thousand island either. Chipotle works well though. I actually found a chipotle sauerkraut at one of those hippie grocery stores back home, and it’s delicious on sandwiches and on tacos.
nuggstein
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2012 GTI

this is my first time using a slow cooker. Using a sauce / seasoning mix for pulled pork, but we're using chicken instead. Is it okay that the chicken is not completely covered by the sauce? It's been simmering for a few hours now, I set it on low for 7.5 hrs. It said to cook for 6-8 hours, then add the finishing sauce, then cook another 30 min.

:crang:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

nuggstein wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:59 pm this is my first time using a slow cooker. Using a sauce / seasoning mix for pulled pork, but we're using chicken instead. Is it okay that the chicken is not completely covered by the sauce? It's been simmering for a few hours now, I set it on low for 7.5 hrs. It said to cook for 6-8 hours, then add the finishing sauce, then cook another 30 min.

Yes, it's totally fine.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

nuggstein wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:59 pm this is my first time using a slow cooker. Using a sauce / seasoning mix for pulled pork, but we're using chicken instead. Is it okay that the chicken is not completely covered by the sauce? It's been simmering for a few hours now, I set it on low for 7.5 hrs. It said to cook for 6-8 hours, then add the finishing sauce, then cook another 30 min.

7.5-8 hours cooking and it should be fine.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Creamy cilantro is my jam. I’d eat cilantro on everything.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

I'm assuming there's an Instapot discussion buried in this thread. If not, you're doing it wrong.

Highly recommend the instapot
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:38 pm I'm assuming there's an Instapot discussion buried in this thread. If not, you're doing it wrong.

We got the 8 quart one and the wife did mashed potatoes in it the first night.

She has proclaimed that if all she ever does with it is mashed potatoes it is worth the price of entry. Fast, simple and no mess chopping, boiling and draining...

I made white rice in it and it was perfect and done in about 1/2 the time as my rice cooker.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Blam. Marinated pork chops. Sour cream whipped Tates. Some roasted asparagus with a beer reduced glaze. ImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

dubshow wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:30 pm Blam. Marinated pork chops. Sour cream whipped Tates. Some roasted asparagus with a beer reduced glaze. ImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Good work! +5 points for an effort in plating. Looks delicious.
Last edited by Sno on Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:42 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:38 pm I'm assuming there's an Instapot discussion buried in this thread. If not, you're doing it wrong.

She has proclaimed that if all she ever does with it is mashed potatoes it is worth the price of entry. Fast, simple and no mess chopping, boiling and draining...

I made white rice in it and it was perfect and done in about 1/2 the time as my rice cooker.
I’ve had multiple people they hate theirs and that it wasn’t worth it? :iono:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Sno wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:55 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:42 pm

I think it depends on what you expect and what you will use it for.

A lot of the stuff I see on YouTube makes no sense, the traditional way is better and not much harder.

This thing is just a pressure cooker / crock pot combo and 90% of the recipes are things I wouldn't make.

Mashed potatoes is much easier though for sure and a lot less mess to clean up. I think finding those items is key, at least in my opinion.
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:11 am
Sno wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:55 am

A lot of the stuff I see on YouTube makes no sense, the traditional way is better and not much harder.

This thing is just a pressure cooker / crock pot combo and 90% of the recipes are things I wouldn't make.

Mashed potatoes is much easier though for sure and a lot less mess to clean up. I think finding those items is key, at least in my opinion.
Makes sense. I couldn’t figure out why people were all hyped over it when pressure cookers have been a thing for years? But there are certainly recipes I would use in certain devices. Beef stew in a crock pot, sure, lasagna? No. And have seenplenty of stupid Pinterest recipes telling me lasagna in a crockpot is a great idea.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Sno wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:19 am

Makes sense. I couldn’t figure out why people were all hyped over it when pressure cookers have been a thing for years? But there are certainly recipes I would use in certain devices. Beef stew in a crock pot, sure, lasagna? No. And have seenplenty of stupid Pinterest recipes telling me lasagna in a crockpot is a great idea.
:dat:

My feels. I don't get the hype at all. Electric pressure cooker.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

This was tuesdays dinner from my wife, it was delish. Smothered tilapia stuff with roasted broccoli and tates.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Sno wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:19 am

apparently a lot of people are afraid of pressure cookers, this dumbs it down and makes it easy-peasey.
I was not one of those people, but the wife was/is.

The thing is pretty sweet :doe: it made bomb ass pork shoulder that took like 6 hours in the oven in under 2 hours start to cleaned.
brain go brrrrrr