Do you even Crock-Pot bro? DFD Cooking Thread

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Melon wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:39 pm
troyguitar wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:22 pm :iono: I've never sharpened mine. They cut stuff easily, same as the new ones. The total :scrooge: knives? Yeah they have rust spots and are a PITA.

This reads like motor oil arguments to me. You guys sound like the armchair chemists swearing that mobil 1 is trash and only the :waxer: special stuff can possibly hold up to road racing use... meanwhile shops like Phoenix have been winning races for 20+ years on walmart-grade mobil 1.
I've been using Pennzoil Ultra Plat, because I got a bunch on Amazon on the cheap. M-1 is good stuff.
:dat:

Unless I forget to order, then I use M1 from Walmart.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Interesting and timely knife fight discussion. I just used the gf's "Chef's choice" automatic sharpener to sharpen a couple of blocks worth of relatively cheap Henckels we have, and all but two I got back to razor sharp. We have a block of Shun Knives acquired over the last four years that needs sharpening, but the angle on those is different than the ROW so I need a different sharpener. Troy I enjoyed your mortal kombat position on your poverty knives that you treat so badly you should be charged with domestic violence. It's been too long man.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:19 pm :butwhy:
I'm allergic.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Enthused to have leftovers of this for lunch today:

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

Zilch’s salad game was strong tonight.

Chicken
Green and red apples
Blue cheese
Bacon
Sautéed mushrooms
Pecans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

stripethree wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:59 am
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:19 pm :butwhy:
I'm allergic.
That's a bummer. I eat a lot of eggs.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:56 pm Turkey in a cider bourbon brine.

He was alive at my parents neighbors last week. He lived outside and chased cats. His name was Carl. He will be delicious.
In4Carlpics.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Browned butter and pecan cheesecake is ready in the fridge. Decided to put a homemade carmel on top last night. Applying a stabilized cinnamon whipped cream garnish tonight. Wishing I would have done a shortbread crust over graham cracker but taking some pride in this one, I had to practically write the recipe.

Spike cake is baked but still needs assembled and iced.

At my Mom’s now for prelim prepping with the females of the family.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Sno wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:32 am Browned butter and pecan cheesecake is ready in the fridge. Decided to put a homemade carmel on top last night. Applying a stabilized cinnamon whipped cream garnish tonight. Wishing I would have done a shortbread crust over graham cracker but taking some pride in this one, I had to practically write the recipe.

Spike cake is baked but still needs assembled and iced.

At my Mom’s now for prelim prepping with the females of the family.
:drool: doesn't even begin to describe my feelings towards this...

I'm moving in with Sno and Zilch.
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

“Extra” turkey is up. We literally cook a 12-13lber. just for juice and fat to go into stuffing, gravy, etc. Meat goes home as leftovers.

CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Sno wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:06 am “Extra” turkey is up. We literally cook a 12-13lber. just for juice and fat to go into stuffing, gravy, etc. Meat goes home as leftovers.

You had me at "fat"
wap

:impressive:
:fatty:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Made a gluten free version of my apple pie, dunno if it will be any good. It looks and smells OK :doe:Image
SAWCE

troyguitar wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:13 pm Made a gluten free version of my apple pie, dunno if it will be any good. It looks and smells OK :doe:Image
What did you use instead of wheat flour for the crust? Should be the only thing with gluten in a normal pie, yeah?
troyguitar

It's primarily rice flour but it's not just a substitution, it's an entirely different dough recipe that came pre-mixed in a box. It called for a lot of butter too, 2 full sticks for one pie. I normally use a little bit of flour in the filling too and swapped that out for corn starch. Seems fine, will know tomorrow for sure.
wap

:notbad:
wap

troyguitar wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:51 pm It's primarily rice flour but it's not just a substitution, it's an entirely different dough recipe that came pre-mixed in a box. It called for a lot of butter too, 2 full sticks for one pie. I normally use a little bit of flour in the filling too and swapped that out for corn starch. Seems fine, will know tomorrow for sure.
Do you bother with dealing with the cross-contamination issues? Like, do you use a separate pan just for GF cooking? Not sure if it's :bs: but we have to be careful to only use glass or stainless serving bowls and even bought a small set of dishes just for when my SIL and niece come over to eat.

Niece has been clinically diagnosed with celiac and SIL is in the middle of testing for same so they're GF not just for :millennial: reasons.
troyguitar

wap wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:51 pm It's primarily rice flour but it's not just a substitution, it's an entirely different dough recipe that came pre-mixed in a box. It called for a lot of butter too, 2 full sticks for one pie. I normally use a little bit of flour in the filling too and swapped that out for corn starch. Seems fine, will know tomorrow for sure.
Do you bother with dealing with the cross-contamination issues? Like, do you use a separate pan just for GF cooking? Not sure if it's :bs: but we have to be careful to only use glass or stainless serving bowls and even bought a small set of dishes just for when my SIL and niece come over to eat.

Niece has been clinically diagnosed with celiac and SIL is in the middle of testing for same so they're GF not just for :millennial: reasons.
Nah. If we had to do that then I wouldn't cook anything.

This is a random thing she's been trying as part of "treatment" for auto-immune stuff that the docs don't really understand. They call it "mixed connective tissue disease" which means they have no real clue what's wrong or how to fix it.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:03 pm
wap wrote:

This is a random thing she's been trying as part of "treatment" for auto-immune stuff that the docs don't really understand. They call it "mixed connective tissue disease" which means they have no real clue what's wrong or how to fix it.
:word:
So it's not really a gluten-related GI thing you're dealing with. Got it.

I hope it works for your Mrs. :doe:
SAWCE

troyguitar wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:03 pm
wap wrote:

Yeah, fuck that. I wouldn't cook either if that was the case. My knowledge of gluten is very limited, but from what I know it's not like a bacteria or something where it can transfer from surface to surface like that..
SAWCE

[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:49 pm
SAWCE wrote:
Yeah, fuck that. I wouldn't cook either if that was the case. My knowledge of gluten is very limited, but from what I know it's not like a bacteria or something where it can transfer from surface to surface like that..
It absolutely can.
Interesting.. I figured as a protein, and thus a chain of amino acids, that it wouldn't be able to transfer that easily.. :themoreyouknow:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

SAWCE wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:02 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:49 pm It absolutely can.
Interesting.. I figured as a protein, and thus a chain of amino acids, that it wouldn't be able to transfer that easily.. :themoreyouknow:
Flour dust gets everywhere and creates literal shit storms for the people impacted.

My friend has celiac and it is a nightmare if we want to go out and eat with them.
SAWCE

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:09 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:02 pm

Flour dust gets everywhere and creates literal shit storms for the people impacted.

My friend has celiac and it is a nightmare if we want to go out and eat with them.
:word: I wasn't even thinking about the fact that it's all powdered up and spreads everywhere. Good call.
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

I’m spent.