Do you even Crock-Pot bro? DFD Cooking Thread

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

We did Blue Apron for a while. The recipes were the best of the ones we tries: Plated (had no flavor), Hello Fresh (not bad, but not super adventurous).

We liked it because for the price, you can't beat it going out...and it's simpler than coming up with stuff on our own all the time. Problem was...portion sizes are fine for just that meal, but no leftovers for lunches, and the menu started to get repetitive. Not the same recipes, but the same ingredients cooked in similar ways.

Once the butcher shop opened locally, we just go there and buy fresh meat, then hit the market and buy fresh veggies to go with it. Way better quality, recipes don't need to be complicated because the stuff tastes so good, cheaper, and supporting local.

:millennial:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I just go to the grocery store. It's less than a mile away.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:30 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:07 am Does anyone here actively do Blue Apron or any of those other similar services? Michelle and I want to start cooking together a few nights a week, but $50/week for two two-serving meals seems like a lot. Sure it's cheaper than going out to eat two nights a week unless we do fast food, and its convenient to not have to think about what you're gonna make or buying some things in excess that you only need a very little amount of for a meal, but it's still expensive for what it is.

If you use one, which do you use, or what's the cheapest one you've found?
We do Hello Fresh every week for three meals. We order the two person package and supplement a little meat if my daughter is with us. $60/wk.

Advantages:
1. No meal planning for three nights a week, that's a big deal to us ain't nobody SAH in our family.
2. Good size to the meals but NO WASTED FOOD. But no leftovers for lunch doe.
3. Good quality food, interesting flavors but nothing over the top for spice haters.
4. Cheap compared to eating out.

A nice alternative to trying to plan 6ish meals at home every week. We eat out twice a week and make our own stuff or simply skip dinner on the other two.

Disadvantages:

1. On busy weeks we've tossed a meal before, Johnny W style.
2. Not cheap compared to meal planning yourself.

It's really a convenience, you're not going to save money over going to the grocery store.
Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:37 pm We did Blue Apron for a while. The recipes were the best of the ones we tries: Plated (had no flavor), Hello Fresh (not bad, but not super adventurous).

We liked it because for the price, you can't beat it going out...and it's simpler than coming up with stuff on our own all the time. Problem was...portion sizes are fine for just that meal, but no leftovers for lunches, and the menu started to get repetitive. Not the same recipes, but the same ingredients cooked in similar ways.

Once the butcher shop opened locally, we just go there and buy fresh meat, then hit the market and buy fresh veggies to go with it. Way better quality, recipes don't need to be complicated because the stuff tastes so good, cheaper, and supporting local.

:millennial:

Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards just coming up with our own recipes or pulling stuff out of a cook book or something. I have a decent one called Table for Two that I like cooking out of. We've been talking about cooking together on Tuesdays and Thursdays (nights I'm not at the gym after work) so if we each pick a meal on one of the nights, I really only need to come up with one meal per week... We'll try that for a bit and then see if we actually want to spend the extra money for the convenience of these companies.
Last edited by SAWCE on Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

We found that simplifying recipes was key. Infamous LOVES cooking, but not after work when she's tired. She does fancy stuff on the weekends, but during the week it's just a piece of meat and some veggies (steamed or whatever).

If you buy high quality stuff, you don't really need complex recipes. Just season and enjoy. Faster/easier than any alternative we've found.

We're cooking pork chops with green beans tonight. I'll steam the green beans, pork chops get some basic seasoning and into the cast iron they go. 20 min tops, and we're eating...and it's tasty.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:56 pm We found that simplifying recipes was key. Infamous LOVES cooking, but not after work when she's tired. She does fancy stuff on the weekends, but during the week it's just a piece of meat and some veggies (steamed or whatever).

If you buy high quality stuff, you don't really need complex recipes. Just season and enjoy. Faster/easier than any alternative we've found.

We're cooking pork chops with green beans tonight. I'll steam the green beans, pork chops get some basic seasoning and into the cast iron they go. 20 min tops, and we're eating...and it's tasty.
See and I like eating like that anyways. SImple is key for me. It's more just something for us to do together.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:02 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:56 pm We found that simplifying recipes was key. Infamous LOVES cooking, but not after work when she's tired. She does fancy stuff on the weekends, but during the week it's just a piece of meat and some veggies (steamed or whatever).

See and I like eating like that anyways. SImple is key for me. It's more just something for us to do together.
Yep, and you can when it's simple. I'm usually put in charge of the :meat: and she does the veggies however she wants. We both get home hungry and tired, so the fastest way to fix that is key.

BUT

Cooking together with Blue Apron was fun. I'd start on step one, and she'd do 2 and so on. We did enjoy it as an activity and the way it's laid out is much simpler than a normal cook book. Not to mention, you don't have to go buy all the different ingredients that go into it.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:07 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:02 pm

Yep, and you can when it's simple. I'm usually put in charge of the :meat: and she does the veggies however she wants. We both get home hungry and tired, so the fastest way to fix that is key.

BUT

Cooking together with Blue Apron was fun. I'd start on step one, and she'd do 2 and so on. We did enjoy it as an activity and the way it's laid out is much simpler than a normal cook book. Not to mention, you don't have to go buy all the different ingredients that go into it.
Yeah following instructions isn't a strong suit of hers.. so just winging stuff might be better.

It will probably devolve into each of us just taking a turn to cook each of those nights, but at least then we'll still be sitting down to a meal together.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Sno and I don’t do well in the kitchen together. :gtfo:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

4zilch wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:35 pm Sno and I don’t do well in the kitchen together. :gtfo:
:dat:

But our kitchen is so not laid out for two working at once. We would do much better if we had island space. All of our counter space is between major appliances.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:41 pm I just go to the grocery store. It's less than a mile away.
:dat:
Same. None of that :waxer: shit. We cook on the weekends and love leftovers during the week. Although, since wifey stopped working she's cooking more during the week. :drool:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
NEEK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: DIESEL BRODOZER, R53 JCW

I have taken it upon myself to teach my boys to cook. Every Sunday they cook dinner. It has been a pretty amazing experience.
*reserved for no content*
wap

NEEK wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:08 pm I have taken it upon myself to teach my boys to cook. Every Sunday they cook dinner. It has been a pretty amazing experience.
:bravo:
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

We have a number of easy, low cost, go-to meals that we can plug in. Grilled cheese and soup, breakfast for dinner, big salads, etc. Then we mix in other meals that will generate a day or two of leftovers and we’re solid.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
troyguitar

NEEK wrote:I have taken it upon myself to teach my boys to cook. Every Sunday they cook dinner. It has been a pretty amazing experience.
:notbad:

I never cooked anything until I moved out on my own, turns out it's not that hard - at least if you don't care about looking good on pinshit. Artsy stuff is obviously a challenge. Tasty stuff is simple :doe:

If you can pass chem lab then you can cook.
NEEK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: DIESEL BRODOZER, R53 JCW

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:55 pm
NEEK wrote:I have taken it upon myself to teach my boys to cook. Every Sunday they cook dinner. It has been a pretty amazing experience.
:notbad:

I never cooked anything until I moved out on my own, turns out it's not that hard - at least if you don't care about looking good on pinshit. Artsy stuff is obviously a challenge. Tasty stuff is simple :doe:

No, it is not that hard. But for children who have never used an oven, BBQ, etc it can be a bit of a challenge. They embrace it and while admit it is work, they also say it is easy as long as you pay attention.

Lots of millenials do not know how to cook.
*reserved for no content*
wap

NEEK wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:09 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:55 pm :notbad:

No, it is not that hard. But for children who have never used an oven, BBQ, etc it can be a bit of a challenge. They embrace it and while admit it is work, they also say it is easy as long as you pay attention.

Lots of millenials do not know how to cook.
:crang:

He does seem to be learning :doe:
troyguitar

I meant that it's good to get them involved, my parents didn't do that at all. The most I ever regularly did at home was microwave stuff. I think I peeled some apples for pie a few times too, but didn't know how to make the rest of it.
Calvinball

troyguitar wrote:I meant that it's good to get them involved, my parents didn't do that at all. The most I ever regularly did at home was microwave stuff. I think I peeled some apples for pie a few times too, but didn't know how to make the rest of it.
Ditto, I did some real basic stuff, mostly heating up things (soup, hot dogs, grilled cheese, etc).

It’s weird because my parents love to cook, but when we were young my dad was usually at work til 8 or 9 and my mom worked nights, so weekday dinners were super quick and easy.

When I was a little older I probably just had no interest, being a surly teenager and all.

SAWCE

Calvinball wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:46 am
troyguitar wrote:I meant that it's good to get them involved, my parents didn't do that at all. The most I ever regularly did at home was microwave stuff. I think I peeled some apples for pie a few times too, but didn't know how to make the rest of it.
Ditto, I did some real basic stuff, mostly heating up things (soup, hot dogs, grilled cheese, etc).

It’s weird because my parents love to cook, but when we were young my dad was usually at work til 8 or 9 and my mom worked nights, so weekday dinners were super quick and easy.

When I was a little older I probably just had no interest, being a burly teenager and all.

Hey big boy
Calvinball

SAWCE wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:46 am Ditto, I did some real basic stuff, mostly heating up things (soup, hot dogs, grilled cheese, etc).

When I was a little older I probably just had no interest, being a burly teenager and all.

Hey big boy
Haha I guess I got autocorrected. Supposed to say “surly.”

SAWCE

Calvinball wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:53 am
SAWCE wrote:
Hey big boy
Haha I guess I got autocorrected. Supposed to say “surly.”

It said surly. I just wanted to call you burly.

Calvinball

SAWCE wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:53 am Haha I guess I got autocorrected. Supposed to say “surly.”

It said surly. I just wanted to call you burly.

:massles:

rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Well my mother is an awful cook. I didn't realize it until I was probably around 13 and 14. That's when I just started cooking on my own and making my own meals.

Btw sawse ever think about taking a cooking class together? Could be fun and makes it a bit more special. Then there are the other 6 days I guess.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Will be fun to clean upImage
Calvinball

rockchops wrote:Will be fun to clean upImage
Eeks!