Corollise GT RS 1.8

Strut your greasy stuff!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:03 pm Started the brake pad swap and figured out that the pads probably weren't the main reason the brakes feel weak/soft. Right rear caliper is seized to hell, haven't checked the left rear yet. :derp:

I'm thinking about just buying a whole damn set of RED calipers and rotors to go with the new pads, and then keeping the old stock shit on the shelf for spares. :troywax:

Will take off the stuck caliper tonight first and see if I can get it apart. I do think red calipers would look cool on the boring silver car :doe:
Yes yes. One caliper seizes which means you should buy a second whole set of brake calipers.

:waxer: af

Or just replace the one with a remanufactured unit?
$150 for one raw rear caliper vs like $250 for 2 red ones with rotors :doe:

Most likely scenario is I break the piston loose, clean it up and put it back together and buy nothing.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Aren't calipers like $60 at autozone?
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:22 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
Yes yes. One caliper seizes which means you should buy a second whole set of brake calipers.

$150 for one raw rear caliper vs like $250 for 2 red ones with rotors :doe:

Most likely scenario is I break the piston loose, clean it up and put it back together and buy nothing.
I paid $59.95 (SHIPPED for 2 NOS calipers OEM with OEM PADs for the crown vic. I think it may be the cheapest car in terms of parts known to man. :lolgasm:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:42 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:03 pm Started the brake pad swap and figured out that the pads probably weren't the main reason the brakes feel weak/soft. Right rear caliper is seized to hell, haven't checked the left rear yet. :derp:

I'm thinking about just buying a whole damn set of RED calipers and rotors to go with the new pads, and then keeping the old stock shit on the shelf for spares. :troywax:

Will take off the stuck caliper tonight first and see if I can get it apart. I do think red calipers would look cool on the boring silver car :doe:

It is best to replace in pairs :doe: I did that pre-emptively on the CV.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:Aren't calipers like $60 at autozone?
Nah, the rears have the parking brake integrated and are unique to the spyder so they cost more. The fronts are cheap and also used on the Echo.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:27 pm
Johnny_P wrote:Aren't calipers like $60 at autozone?
Nah, the rears have the parking brake integrated and are unique to the spyder so they cost more. The fronts are cheap and also used on the Echo.
Huh. That blows.
troyguitar

Got the caliper apart, cleaned everything up, polished the piston/bore, and put it all back together with the old seals. PITA but cost no money and it seems to work fine now. Car stops way better after bedding in the stoptech pads and having all 4 calipers fully operational... :derp:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:20 pm Got the caliper apart, cleaned everything up, polished the piston/bore, and put it all back together with the old seals. PITA but cost no money and it seems to work fine now. Car stops way better after bedding in the stoptech pads and having all 4 calipers fully operational... :derp:
:dat:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:45 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:20 pm Got the caliper apart, cleaned everything up, polished the piston/bore, and put it all back together with the old seals. PITA but cost no money and it seems to work fine now. Car stops way better after bedding in the stoptech pads and having all 4 calipers fully operational... :derp:
It stopped pretty well as it was, I guess that's the nature of a 21xx lb mid/rear-engine car. With everything right, though, it stops NOW. Seems like I could probably get away with either a more aggressive rear pad or less aggressive front pad if I wanted to try to get it fully optimized, the fronts get into ABS quite a bit before the rears.
troyguitar

Ran yesterday and finally got top PAX overall. The new seats are :fuckyeah:

It's amazing how much easier and more fun it is to drive the car when your ass isn't sliding all over the place. :derp:

I definitely need to try a less aggressive brake pad in the front now :doe: These stoptechs lock up the fronts way too easily. They have a Max-approved level of initial bite which seems to confuse the ABS system.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:04 am They have a Max-approved level of initial bite
:datass:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:04 am Ran yesterday and finally got top PAX overall. The new seats are :fuckyeah:

It's amazing how much easier and more fun it is to drive the car when your ass isn't sliding all over the place. :derp:

I definitely need to try a less aggressive brake pad in the front now :doe: These stoptechs lock up the fronts way too easily. They have a Max-approved level of initial bite which seems to confuse the ABS system.
Can you pull a fuse on the ABS system for autocrossing?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:24 am
troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:04 am Ran yesterday and finally got top PAX overall. The new seats are :fuckyeah:

its an advantage most of the time.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

How is that ok for classing? Isn't it cheating?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:12 pm

How is that ok for classing? Isn't it cheating?
Partially why I'm asking I legit don't know.
troyguitar

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:32 am

The ABS is a good thing, it'll just be a matter of figuring out the right pad compound to take full advantage of it. Fortunately spyder pads are super cheap so it won't cost much to try a few different ones.

CSP franken-miata builders have been switching over to NB shells so that they can use the NB ABS system.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:31 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:32 am

The ABS is a good thing, it'll just be a matter of figuring out the right pad compound to take full advantage of it. Fortunately spyder pads are super cheap so it won't cost much to try a few different ones.

CSP franken-miata builders have been switching over to NB shells so that they can use the NB ABS system.
:word:
My Focus had an overactive ABS system. It was annoying. That car had shit brakes overall too, tiny :jalepenis: front discs with single piston sliding calipers that would freeze up, and drums out back that would frequently break.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:21 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:31 pm

My Focus had an overactive ABS system. It was annoying. That car had shit brakes overall too, tiny :jalepenis: front discs with single piston sliding calipers that would freeze up, and drums out back that would frequently break.
You just need to stay away from the hatchbacks bro.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

I don't know who would buy a Focus RS/ST at this point in time. These things were dated compared to a Mk6 GTI.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:43 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:21 pm

You just need to stay away from the hatchbacks bro.
It was actually a BLUE SEDAN :lolol: :fuckyeah: #teambluecar

But yes I am not a huge fan of tiny minivans anyway.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:04 pm I don't know who would buy a Focus RS/ST at this point in time. These things were dated compared to a Mk6 GTI.
Seriously. They came out around the same time. :mindblown:

I guess if they're super cheap, it makes sense. But they're not, soo....
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:14 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:04 pm I don't know who would buy a Focus RS/ST at this point in time. These things were dated compared to a Mk6 GTI.

I was trying to buy a yellow+recarbros Focus ST instead of my GTI but the release date got delayed too far and eventually I needed to buy a car that actually existed.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:14 pm

I was trying to buy a yellow+recarbros Focus ST instead of my GTI but the release date got delayed too far and eventually I needed to buy a car that actually existed.
Yea, but that was what...4 years ago? That same car is still kicking around...
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:25 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:17 pm

Yea, but that was what...4 years ago? That same car is still kicking around...
6 years ago.

I haven't driven a MK7 and don't really give a damn anymore because spending 5 figures on FWD cars is no longer my idea of a worthwhile purchase, but the Focus was way more fun to drive than the MK6 and the seats were way better. I never cared about the superior interior :bs:
troyguitar

Similarly, the 370Z is the same car since 2008/9. Who fucking cares? It's still better than the competition. Why do you need new things just because they're new?