Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

So I'm thinking about getting into some light trail riding since I have an insane amount around me in the blessed lands. My brother in law recently got a trek marlin 6 and I was thinking of about doing the same. I'm just looking for a solid, entry level bike. I was even thinking about just getting the marlin 5 since it'd be around $500. I don't really know anything about biking so curious for some feedback on this idea plus anyone know if trek does any kind of sales on black Friday?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

dtraill27 wrote:So I'm thinking about getting into some light trail riding since I have an insane amount around me in the blessed lands. My brother in law recently got a trek marlin 6 and I was thinking of about doing the same. I'm just looking for a solid, entry level bike. I was even thinking about just getting the marlin 5 since it'd be around $500. I don't really know anything about biking so curious for some feedback on this idea plus anyone know if trek does any kind of sales on black Friday?
You came to the wrong place. They'll have you on a legit bike in no time.

:lolol:

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:57 pm
dtraill27 wrote:So I'm thinking about getting into some light trail riding since I have an insane amount around me in the blessed lands. My brother in law recently got a trek marlin 6 and I was thinking of about doing the same. I'm just looking for a solid, entry level bike. I was even thinking about just getting the marlin 5 since it'd be around $500. I don't really know anything about biking so curious for some feedback on this idea plus anyone know if trek does any kind of sales on black Friday?
You came to the wrong place. They'll have you on a legit bike in no time.

Oh I'm fully prepared to be told this is a bad idea and I need the zr2 of bikes. But in reality while I'm getting my feet wet and riding easy flat dirt trails I think this should be plenty
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dtraill27 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:06 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:57 pm You came to the wrong place. They'll have you on a legit bike in no time.

Oh I'm fully prepared to be told this is a bad idea and I need the zr2 of bikes. But in reality while I'm getting my feet wet and riding easy flat dirt trails I think this should be plenty
Not necessarily a bad idea. Just get something you can grow into with solid components. I thought I was only gonna spend about 6-700 but ended up spending way more than that and got a solid entry level type hard tail.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:10 pm
dtraill27 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:06 pm

Not necessarily a bad idea. Just get something you can grow into with solid components. I thought I was only gonna spend about 6-700 but ended up spending way more than that and got a solid entry level type hard tail.

What do you use for a rack? I want a roof rack cause I'd use it for skis as well but they're pricey
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

dtraill27 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:20 am So I'm thinking about getting into some light trail riding since I have an insane amount around me in the blessed lands. My brother in law recently got a trek marlin 6 and I was thinking of about doing the same. I'm just looking for a solid, entry level bike. I was even thinking about just getting the marlin 5 since it'd be around $500. I don't really know anything about biking so curious for some feedback on this idea plus anyone know if trek does any kind of sales on black Friday?
Bike shops may or may not have deals. Most will be pretty :jalepenis: unless they have something rotting in stock for the last 2 years.

Anything from a bike store will handle paths and gravel type trails without issue. MTB trails, and a new $500 bike don't mix too well, you'll end up destroying stuff pretty quickly. Most big box frames will be fine, but stuff like suspension forks, shifters, etc tend to be really cheap crap. Forks may or may not do anything at all. Shifters likely not very durable.

This looks like a killer deal....

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/ma ... ve-31-7055

If you're looking at $500 range, I'd honestly go used. And then the $500 bike will be $350 or less and not a big hurt in the feels if/when you want to upgrade it. To get back into biking I bought a used $250 Trek 26" wheel hardtail with a piece of SHIT fork. I beat the absolute piss out of that bike and broke damn near everything on it, eventually just threw it out, and bought my 29er. But it was good condition when I got it, and I trashed the entire drivetrain and the fork in about 6 months.

A couple things I'd look for:
-Aluminum frame
-Hardtail, meaning front suspension but not rear
-Air suspension fork not coil
-29" or 27.5" wheels
-Shimano Deore or better drivetrain
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:37 pm
dtraill27 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:20 am So I'm thinking about getting into some light trail riding since I have an insane amount around me in the blessed lands. My brother in law recently got a trek marlin 6 and I was thinking of about doing the same. I'm just looking for a solid, entry level bike. I was even thinking about just getting the marlin 5 since it'd be around $500. I don't really know anything about biking so curious for some feedback on this idea plus anyone know if trek does any kind of sales on black Friday?
Bike shops may or may not have deals. Most will be pretty :jalepenis: unless they have something rotting in stock for the last 2 years.

Anything from a bike store will handle paths and gravel type trails without issue. MTB trails, and a new $500 bike don't mix too well, you'll end up destroying stuff pretty quickly. Most big box frames will be fine, but stuff like suspension forks, shifters, etc tend to be really cheap crap. Forks may or may not do anything at all. Shifters likely not very durable.

If you're looking at $500 range, I'd honestly go used. And then the $500 bike will be $350 or less and not a big hurt in the feels if/when you want to upgrade it. To get back into biking I bought a used $250 Trek 26" wheel hardtail with a piece of SHIT fork. I beat the absolute piss out of that bike and broke damn near everything on it, eventually just threw it out, and bought my 29er. But it was good condition when I got it, and I trashed the entire drivetrain and the fork in about 6 months.

-Aluminum frame
-29" or 27.5" wheels
Damn that looks like a nice bike. I'll be near the performance bike in Paoli on Wednesday too. Decisions decisions. Looks like performance bike might have some deals in the future too https://www.bicycleretailer.com/industr ... -8QW_dOn3C
Johnny_P

dtraill27 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:51 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:37 pm

-Aluminum frame
-29" or 27.5" wheels
Damn that looks like a nice bike. I'll be near the performance bike in Paoli on Wednesday too. Decisions decisions. Looks like performance bike might have some deals in the future too https://www.bicycleretailer.com/industr ... -8QW_dOn3C
I doubt you'll find anything better than that. Look around on sites like Jensonusa.com or RA Cycles for bike deals.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dtraill27 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:31 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:10 pm

What do you use for a rack? I want a roof rack cause I'd use it for skis as well but they're pricey
I use an OEM VW rack with a rockymounts brass knuckles bike mount. Does Mazderp have a rack for the 6?
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:53 pm
dtraill27 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:31 pm

I use an OEM VW rack with a rockymounts brass knuckles bike mount. Does Mazderp have a rack for the 6?
They have one for the 3 but not sure if it'd fit the 6. I'm coming to about 500 on a thule set up if I go that route.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dtraill27 wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:53 pm I use an OEM VW rack with a rockymounts brass knuckles bike mount. Does Mazderp have a rack for the 6?
They have one for the 3 but not sure if it'd fit the 6. I'm coming to about 500 on a thule set up if I go that route.
Yeah Thule is expensive. My vw rack was $300. Does the Mazda have those screw mounts on the roof or is it going to be a clamp type mount?

Apex
Drives: Abominable

dtraill27 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:09 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:53 pm

Keep an eye out for REI and EMS to run :dill: s on racks. 20% off Thule/Yakima pop up every so often with them if you want to go that route.
Johnny_P

Throw it in the trunk. = free
Apex

Dtrail, you should buy the BMC off me. :hubba:
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:40 pm
dtraill27 wrote:
Yeah Thule is expensive. My vw rack was $300. Does the Mazda have those screw mounts on the roof or is it going to be a clamp type mount?

Thule tries to use the clamps but after checking the forums there are screw in mounts that can be utilized
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Apex wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:42 pm
dtraill27 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:09 pm

Keep an eye out for REI and EMS to run :dill: s on racks. 20% off Thule/Yakima pop up every so often with them if you want to go that route.
Good call. Will keep an eye on them for black Friday
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

[user not found] wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:45 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:43 pm Throw it in the trunk. = free
Fine for a road bike, but dirty mountain bikes are a tough sell in a car.

Bring a blanket to wrap it in if that's your plan. Or just :aintcare: and get me :triggered:

Your call.
Yeah for local riding I can put it in the car but any time I'm going to travel I need the trunk for storage which is why I'm looking for a rack.

I'm definitely going to check that Marin on Wednesday.

If I do end up getting a bike I expect a lot of dfd meatings
Apex

dtraill27 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:01 pm

Bring a blanket to wrap it in if that's your plan. Or just :aintcare: and get me :triggered:

Your call.
Yeah for local riding I can put it in the car but any time I'm going to travel I need the trunk for storage which is why I'm looking for a rack.

:meatspin:
Johnny_P

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:43 pm Throw it in the trunk. = free

Your call.
I’ll take option 2, obvi
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Your call.

I put mine in the back of the R once. It got old immediately. Bought the rack a few days later.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Speaking of REI has 20% on Yakima right now. Could do a base system for $363
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:06 pm

I put mine in the back of the R once. It got old immediately. Bought the rack a few days later.
Back seat down, wheel off, throw that shit in there like a puzzle piece. But I use my car for bike hauling like 2x a year, usually just ride to the trails.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Any thoughts on this?
https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/nish ... uctSuggest keep seeing it suggested on reddit
Johnny_P

dtraill27 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:04 am Any thoughts on this?
https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/nish ... uctSuggest keep seeing it suggested on reddit
Doesn’t hold a candle to the Marin I posted but this isn’t a bad pick at all. Nice parts mostly, crap wheels, crap fork, but maybe not a big deal. Frame is made by Giant which is a good thing. 27+ is a great wheel size for a hardtail it will ride smoothly. Only thing I can’t find is warranty duration. Should be lifetime so if that’s the case go for it.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:30 am
dtraill27 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:04 am Any thoughts on this?
Doesn’t hold a candle to the Marin I posted but this isn’t a bad pick at all. Nice parts mostly, crap wheels, crap fork, but maybe not a big deal. Frame is made by Giant which is a good thing. 27+ is a great wheel size for a hardtail it will ride smoothly. Only thing I can’t find is warranty duration. Should be lifetime so if that’s the case go for it.
I'm still leaning towards the Marin just wanted to double check. I'll probably pull the trigger on it tomorrow