Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:35 am
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:32 am

So you’d have to quadruple your income to make that statement.
By that time times, I'll be able to afford it. I'll give it 10 years, or just get a CPO, and take advantage of someones placprofit. Or something else, who knows.
As do priorities. Crotchfruit changes priorities into vans
max225

Here is something crazy... Uber to my work which is 10 miles one way is $9, which is way too cheap. So for $350 a month I could have a personal driver to work. :mindblown:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:51 am Here is something crazy... Uber to my work which is 10 miles one way is $9, which is way too cheap. So for $350 a month I could have a personal driver to work. :mindblown:
another way of "ballin on a budget"
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:41 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:35 am

By that time times, I'll be able to afford it. I'll give it 10 years, or just get a CPO, and take advantage of someones placprofit. Or something else, who knows.
As do priorities. Crotchfruit changes priorities into vans
I'll only get one when I start to have 3 kids, and it will be wife's car #sorrynotsorry, and I'll done do :aintcare: driving on roadtrips. I'll always have a fun car of my own anyway, and probably get a cheap ass beater for a NFG daily/winter driving. Maybe dat 2018 camry in 2028 from a :mahtroy:

But that said, I was pretty much sold on the macan as it is a great compromise for an :waxer: enthusiast and dropping kids off soccer practice.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:47 pm
Davestr wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:21 pm

If I had to go SUV, Id test this!!!!
The new X3 is legitimately awesome. M40i sounds fantastic. I'd pick it over anything else in the segment aside from a Macan.
Will check em both out this week when the M2 goes in Thursday pm for oil and summer wheels/tires :)
max225

Davestr wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:27 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:47 pm

The new X3 is legitimately awesome. M40i sounds fantastic. I'd pick it over anything else in the segment aside from a Macan.
Will check em both out this week when the M2 goes in Thursday pm for oil and summer wheels/tires :)
Why would you check out an SUV when you have exactly 0 need for one.
Davestr

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:27 am
Davestr wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:22 am

Not mandatory there. Here your new car will have winters on or it wont be released to you.

Detroit appeared to be very cold when he was driving it. All season suck. Should be evident to the author and was so why didnt the Mag spring for some rational tire upgrade or is it cheap or just fun to beeotch about it.
Mags don't spend a dime on press cars (not even gas) so they can complain about every little thing and do nothing about it.

I was amazed that it's required in Germany. My rental Polo had snow tires on it. It snowed pretty hard when we were in the black forest, pretty amazing how well the car did on those tires. Winter tires are absolutely a worthwhile upgrade if you live somewhere with cold/snow.
Yep they started cracking down about 3 yrs ago and they are now mandatory in 'winter conditions'. Basically Nov - Feb/March depending on the weather. I had them off last winter in mid Feb. They were on in late Nov. So barely 3 months. Not bad and with so little use a set will last years. Its smart and in general not a big hassle. They take good care of the road and I hope you were witness to that.
Last edited by Davestr on Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225

Davestr wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:35 pm
Mags don't spend a dime on press cars (not even gas) so they can complain about every little thing and do nothing about it.

I was amazed that it's required in Germany. My rental Polo had snow tires on it. It snowed pretty hard when we were in the black forest, pretty amazing how well the car did on those tires. Winter tires are absolutely a worthwhile upgrade if you live somewhere with cold/snow.
Yep they started cracking down about 3 yrs ago and they are no mandatory in 'winter conditions'. Basically Nov - Feb/March depending on the weather. I had them off last winter in mid Feb. They were on in late Nov. So barely 3 months. Not bad and with so little use a set will last years. Its smart and in general not a big hassle. They take good care of the road and I hope you were witness to that.
I barely even snows in Germany if at all. Dem lack of freedoms.
Davestr

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:40 pm

Yep they started cracking down about 3 yrs ago and they are no mandatory in 'winter conditions'. Basically Nov - Feb/March depending on the weather. I had them off last winter in mid Feb. They were on in late Nov. So barely 3 months. Not bad and with so little use a set will last years. Its smart and in general not a big hassle. They take good care of the road and I hope you were witness to that.
True but winter tires work as a function of temp....cold roads
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

:lolgasm:

I encountered more snow than we get in Murica when I was there.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Yep they started cracking down about 3 yrs ago and they are now mandatory in 'winter conditions'. Basically Nov - Feb/March depending on the weather. I had them off last winter in mid Feb. They were on in late Nov. So barely 3 months. Not bad and with so little use a set will last years. Its smart and in general not a big hassle. They take good care of the road and I hope you were witness to that.
The roads were :mindblown: compared to what we call "roads" here.

It also cost me $70 to fill up a VW Polo with petrol...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Davestr wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:32 pm

True but winter tires work as a function of temp....cold roads
It doesn't even get cold either... Unless you're up in the mountains. Cold being below 0. It hovers around there, but overall it is not like Minnesota.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

My rental benzo had pos winter tires on it. In September. Was super disappointing.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:56 pm My rental benzo had pos winter tires on it. In September. Was super disappointing.
Winter tires are obviously a must. :lol:

If the EU had their way no one would drive period. Insane taxes on car ownershit, fuel, diesel ban, weird pedestrian safety shit that makes cars hideous and requires hoods that pop

Dat nanny state.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:00 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:56 pm My rental benzo had pos winter tires on it. In September. Was super disappointing.

If the EU had their way no one would drive period. Insane taxes on car ownershit, fuel, diesel ban, weird pedestrian safety shit that makes cars hideous and requires hoods that pop

Dat nanny state.
They certainly choose to heavily incetivize mass transit and penalize owning a car. US seems opposite of this. Easy af and cheap (relatively) to own a vehicle, and mass transit systems are typically in disrepair, beat, smelly, never on time, etc.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:18 pm

Dat nanny state.
They certainly choose to heavily incetivize mass transit and penalize owning a car. US seems opposite of this. Easy af and cheap (relatively) to own a vehicle, and mass transit systems are typically in disrepair, beat, smelly, never on time, etc.
Because we’re not communist hippies
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:25 pm

:dat:
Also.. How's the smog been lately? :)
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:30 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:25 pm

Really bad actually but it doesn’t matter we are at the forefront of pods. So it is only temporary
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:40 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:30 pm

Really bad actually but it doesn’t matter we are at the forefront of pods. So it is only temporary
:fuckyeah:
ChrisoftheNorth

Dat nanny state.
I was surprised by how many people actually did own cars in Germany. But further, how nice driving was. The roads are fantastic. Drivers are unbelievably good/attentive. Traffic was minimal. I wish we'd go to a European style. Amp up public trans and make cars harder to own.

That said, Europe is laid out way differently than the US, so it'll pretty much never happen. I would love to see a higher gas tax to make our roads drivable, doe.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:38 am

I was surprised by how many people actually did own cars in Germany. But further, how nice driving was. The roads are fantastic. Drivers are unbelievably good/attentive. Traffic was minimal. I wish we'd go to a European style. Amp up public trans and make cars harder to own.

That said, Europe is laid out way differently than the US, so it'll pretty much never happen. I would love to see a higher gas tax to make our roads drivable, doe.
Agreed. Gas tax needs to increase. Roads in this country are trash. We're never going to get as pristine as Germany though. Those roads are great but they spend an assload of money to keep them great, and have fewer roads to maintain, and fewer vehicles traveling on them so less upkeep.

Also agreed on the layout being different in Europe. However, in the US the northeast is laid out very similar to Europe. There's absolutely no good reason we don't have high speed bullet trains between DC and Boston. Acela is a piece of shit compared to true high speed rail in Europe/Japan/CHINA/etc. Between Philly and NYC, Acela is limited to 135 MPH because it can't tilt due to track spacing. The Northeast Regional poverty train reaches 125. Acela can hit 150 MPH north of NYC for a short section into Connecticut but that's it. Meanwhile the ROW are reaching almost 300 MPH. Our infrastructure is garbage.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:02 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:38 am

Agreed. Gas tax needs to increase. Roads in this country are trash. We're never going to get as pristine as Germany though. Those roads are great but they spend an assload of money to keep them great, and have fewer roads to maintain, and fewer vehicles traveling on them so less upkeep.

Also agreed on the layout being different in Europe. However, in the US the northeast is laid out very similar to Europe. There's absolutely no good reason we don't have high speed bullet trains between DC and Boston. Acela is a piece of shit compared to true high speed rail in Europe/Japan/CHINA/etc. Between Philly and NYC, Acela is limited to 135 MPH because it can't tilt due to track spacing. The Northeast Regional poverty train reaches 125. Acela can hit 150 MPH north of NYC for a short section into Connecticut but that's it. Meanwhile the ROW are reaching almost 300 MPH. Our infrastructure is garbage.
NJ raised the gas tax 23 cents per gallon over a year ago.

Roads are still garbage and potholes worse than ever.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:08 am

Gas tax ain't going towards fixing roads. :disappoint:
Johnny_P

I think investments in public transit would be very wise. Many cities have terrible traffic and growth is being restricted because of it.

Of course networked pods could alter this significantly. Podtrains could move a ton of people quickly and efficiently if they're all talking to each other and drafting close to each other.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:08 am