Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

coogles wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:14 pm
wap wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:51 pm There must be some :dill: 's to be had :doe: , no?
Not like there were at the end of the 2017 model year. VeeDub currently only offering $1k in dealer cash on the 2018s. There was $4k or more available on the leftover 2017s.
That's what I was thinking of. Ah well.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:17 pm
wap wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:11 pm

:howdareu:
I mean, you sit in it so upright, it's like a tiny SUV. I can't imagine driving one in an auto-x. It would constantly feel like tipping.

:nope:
Oh I get it. It was just an opportunity to use :howdareu: :lol:
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:39 pm
wap wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:26 pm

Didn't want to go there on this site, but I don't disagree. :yikes:
There's a fair number of C5 uber alles brohams out there....and I don't think that car will stand the test of time in the way that the C2 did. It was a magical reinvention of the Corvette from a world class handling and power perspective....any C5 can be set up to run strong at any track and the car is 19 years old....but looks wise...eh. Not the best, not the worst. And the interior is just fucking atrocious, other than the gauge cluster.
Typical GM of the era. The strides that have been made in the C7, like most other GM offerings, is really :impressive:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

:ellis: :doe:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:15 pm:ellis: :doe:
:ellis: all the things!
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:15 pm:ellis: :doe:
:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:18 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:17 pm

When is the :ellis: Colorado coming out?
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:31 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:18 pm
It needs to.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:34 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:31 pm

It needs to.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:44 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
There's a fair number of C5 uber alles brohams out there....and I don't think that car will stand the test of time in the way that the C2 did. It was a magical reinvention of the Corvette from a world class handling and power perspective....any C5 can be set up to run strong at any track and the car is 19 years old....but looks wise...eh. Not the best, not the worst. And the interior is just fucking atrocious, other than the gauge cluster.
I know that I'm :wrong: but looks-wise I rate corvettes like so:

4 >= 2 > 6 > 7 > 3 > 1 > 5

90s gumby blobs are not sexy.
If I were a waxer collector, I would consider a 90's ZR1 just for the LT5, which, IMHO, is hands down the most beautiful engine ever put in any Corvette, and probably always will be. The later 90s' ZR1s had the nice 5 spoke ramz and looked A LOT better than your average 80's C4.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-Chevrolet ... SwMGBay7~m :notbad:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

I also like the exposed front tire when you pop the hood on the C4.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Desertbreh wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:44 pm I know that I'm :wrong: but looks-wise I rate corvettes like so:

If I were a waxer collector, I would consider a 90's ZR1 just for the LT5, which, IMHO, is hands down the most beautiful engine ever put in any Corvette, and probably always will be. The later 90s' ZR1s had the nice 5 spoke ramz and looked A LOT better than your average 80's C4.

:word:

The 80s digital dash is cool :doe:

When I bought my C5Z, the C4ZR1 was the same price. I almost bought one instead, but went for the better handling out-of-the-box car in the C5. I still kind of want an 80s C4 with LS power, good suspension, weight reduction, etc. in something like 80s white with red interior with the sawblade :ramz:

Dynamically it could be made to be pretty damn good, it just would cost a lot and never be worth anything. That would need to be a "forever" project. C4 has the advantage of a significantly shorter wheelbase, narrower width, lower polar moment, and faster steering rack than the C5/6/7 and it's in the same power and weight ranges. They're way better cars than their reputation implies.
Desertbreh

troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:26 pm
Desertbreh wrote:

:word:

When I bought my C5Z, the C4ZR1 was the same price. I almost bought one instead, but went for the better handling out-of-the-box car in the C5. I still kind of want an 80s C4 with LS power, good suspension, weight reduction, etc. in something like 80s white with red interior with the sawblade :ramz:

Dynamically it could be made to be pretty damn good, it just would cost a lot and never be worth anything. That would need to be a "forever" project. C4 has the advantage of a significantly shorter wheelbase, narrower width, lower polar moment, and faster steering rack than the C5/6/7 and it's in the same power and weight ranges. They're way better cars than their reputation implies.
That's a good price on that black one and if late 70's Trans Ams are now collector cars that are appreciating in value equipped with a smog choked, low compression all cast parts Oldsmobile 403 straight out of a Vista Cruiser, it's hard to see how an LT5 Corvette will not.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:26 pm :word:

That's a good price on that black one and if late 70's Trans Ams are now collector cars that are appreciating in value equipped with a smog choked, low compression all cast parts Oldsmobile 403 straight out of a Vista Cruiser, it's hard to see how an LT5 Corvette will not.
LT5 cars have already started going up. Nice ones were $20-25k 5-6 years ago.
troyguitar

In other news, Ford is apparently going full MURICA by 2020 or so. The Mustang will be the only car sold in North America. The rest of the lineup will be CUV/SUV and :truk: :truk: :truk:

Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, Taurus are all dead.

https://media.ford.com/content...2018/0 ... ncials.pdf
Desertbreh

troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:47 pm In other news, Ford is apparently going full MURICA by 2020 or so. The Mustang will be the only car sold in North America. The rest of the lineup will be CUV/SUV and :truk: :truk: :truk:

History has proven that nothing can happen to defeat a master strategy like this.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:52 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:47 pm In other news, Ford is apparently going full MURICA by 2020 or so. The Mustang will be the only car sold in North America. The rest of the lineup will be CUV/SUV and :truk: :truk: :truk:

History has proven that nothing can happen to defeat a master strategy like this.
:iswydt:
:yeahok:
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote:

Apparently now is the time to buy a Fiesta ST if you want to ever own a small hot hatch in this country. I almost want one, but not enough to give up a real sports car. Maybe if we end up with a cheap house and a big garage somehow... FiST + kart could be cool.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:38 pm :dat:

Apparently now is the time to buy a Fiesta ST if you want to ever own a small hot hatch in this country. I almost want one, but not enough to give up a real sports car. Maybe if we end up with a cheap house and a big garage somehow... FiST + kart could be cool.
FiST is a fantastic car.

Shame we won't get the new one with the LSD. :flaccid:

The real diff, with lighter and cooler sounding 3-banger, seems badass.

I guess we still have the Koopa as the only remaining OG-style hot hatch sold here.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:05 pm :dat:

The real diff, with lighter and cooler sounding 3-banger, seems badass.

I guess we still have the Koopa as the only remaining OG-style hot hatch sold here.
Days are probably numbered for MINI in the US, honestly. :truk: :truk: :truk:
Used sports cars are gonna be it until we're replaced by the pod people.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:39 pm Used sports cars are gonna be it until we're replaced by the pod people.
Gonna be :waxer: cars only soon.
Pods?

I'm hoping that there will be plain old sports cars for reasonable prices for as long as I can drive a :manuel:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

:whocares: truk is lyfe
Next fad will be pods anyway and you won’t own one you’ll just hire it for quick trips on a subscription basis.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:48 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:39 pm Used sports cars are gonna be it until we're replaced by the pod people.
Gonna be :waxer: cars only soon.
We’re basically there. GTIs worth a damn go for over $30k now.

Honestly the FiST was the best recent sport compact due to its price to performance ratio. Sad that is dying too.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:

:whocares: truk is lyfe
Next fad will be pods anyway and you won’t own one you’ll just hire it for quick trips on a subscription basis.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:11 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:44 pm I know that I'm :wrong: but looks-wise I rate corvettes like so:

:like: :like: