Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:33 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:12 pm

it is likely that the 6 speed in the BMW has never been serviced either... dat lifetime fill... that kills the tranny by 120k-150k miles...

BTW the car you drove looks like it was fairly old too... how was it holding up? leather wear? Shiny wheel? all buttons/pixels work?
Funny noises or vibrations?
It was pretty solid, actually. It was a 2008. The dudebro who I rented it from clearly didn't give much of a damn about the car, didn't even check m license.

Seats were in great shape, nothing in the interior looked worn at all other than the steering wheel shine, but nothing offensive. It drove pretty well, the only thing that was off about it was a sort of steering jerk under heavy brake application, some kind of alignment issue maybe.
Ball joint, bushing, something like that.

I love the E90. The 328i is basically my ideal car. With :manuel: and M sport for the nicer seats. :unicorn:
Johnny_P

So GF and I trekked across the city to go to a furniture warehouse. En route she NFG slammed straight into the biggest pothole I've yet encountered in Philly, and hardly slowed down at all for it. I grabbed the OS handle fully expecting I'd be changing a tire or calling for a tow after it.

Nothing happened. The Tiguan ate it up. My car would have bent a rim on that at the speed she hit it. Most cars would have bottomed out and hit the deck with their bumpers. Sold. I want a CUV thingy.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:49 pm So GF and I trekked across the city to go to a furniture warehouse. En route she NFG slammed straight into the biggest pothole I've yet encountered in Philly, and hardly slowed down at all for it. I grabbed the OS handle fully expecting I'd be changing a tire or calling for a tow after it.

Nothing happened. The Tiguan ate it up. My car would have bent a rim on that at the speed she hit it. Most cars would have bottomed out and hit the deck with their bumpers. Sold. I want a CUV thingy.
This is why CUVs and :truk: s are popular these days. Roads are so screwed, it's the only way to not get :knot:

I've spent over $500 in replacing popped tires on the Volt from potholes.

:disgust:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:52 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:49 pm So GF and I trekked across the city to go to a furniture warehouse. En route she NFG slammed straight into the biggest pothole I've yet encountered in Philly, and hardly slowed down at all for it. I grabbed the OS handle fully expecting I'd be changing a tire or calling for a tow after it.

This is why CUVs and :truk: s are popular these days. Roads are so screwed, it's the only way to not get :knot:

CUVs are popular because they are greatly utilitarian, far more utilitarian than sedans. You can just fit a bunch more shit into it because you're driving essentially a box.
Come to think of it I can't think of any good reason that sedans became popular. The first cars were similar to current hatchbacks. And it seems like sedans began to rise in the late 50s early 60s. Could be an interesting automotive tidbit to research.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:00 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:52 pm

CUVs are popular because they are greatly utilitarian, far more utilitarian than sedans. You can just fit a bunch more shit into it because you're driving essentially a box.
Come to think of it I can't think of any good reason that sedans became popular. The first cars were similar to current hatchbacks. And it seems like sedans began to rise in the late 50s early 60s. Could be an interesting automotive tidbit to research.
The first cars were more akin to trucks really. They were designed to be able to drive through serious mud bogs since most roads weren't paved at that time. Yeah I'm not sure how/why sedans became popular. Probably just because early cars had no real locking cabs so you had a trunk in the back to lock things into, and that evolved with the vehicle overall.

I like my sedan, really I do. I like having a separate trunk space that's always out of view and the ability to pack 4 people plus a lot of crap in the trunk at the same time. But man that truck just fucking swallowed that ditch. Ground clearance matters. And the Tiggy has balloon tires with massive sidewall, that helps as well.
max225

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-bmw-1m-20/
I will NEVER EVER UNDERSTAND THIS
:fullretard: a BMW 1M is MORE EXPENSIVE than an M2 :butwhy:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:14 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:39 pm I used to see this fiat a lot when i was a kid in Turkey :jizz:

I used to love these on Gran Torismo back in middle school. Very cool looking cars but the performance was always a bit :flaccid: on the game IIRC.
dat 5 banger and wrong wheel drive, yeah handling may be somewhat mediocre, being somewhat front heavy. Dynamically, it could've been a better car.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

when I had the tiguan loaner, I was less worrying about looking for potholes, essentially :aintcare: driving.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:55 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:29 pm Yea...the new Camaro...yea...
The Mustang doesn't look good either.

I still love the Chally doe :wub:
the refresh kinda grew on me the more i see them on the road.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

In the opposite world, I bottomed out the :poorvette: in a parking deck today. This wasn't the usual front end of the car, the fucking middle of my car scraped as I exited the up ramp on to the flat second floor. :disgust:

Who designs these decks? :truk: owners.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:44 pm

In the opposite world, I bottomed out the :poorvette: in a parking deck today. This wasn't the usual front end of the car, the fucking middle of my car scraped as I exited the up ramp on to the flat second floor. :disgust:

There were plenty of gayrages in SF I couldn't use in my C5 because it either wouldn't be able to complete the tight circle, or wouldn't be able to go up some steeper slopes because racekar obviously.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:47 pm https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-bmw-1m-20/
I will NEVER EVER UNDERSTAND THIS
:fullretard: a BMW 1M is MORE EXPENSIVE than an M2 :butwhy:
I love these. That price blows doe.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:44 pm

Man. That just flat out sucks.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote:
D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:44 pm In the opposite world, I bottomed out the :poorvette: in a parking deck today. This wasn't the usual front end of the car, the fucking middle of my car scraped as I exited the up ramp on to the flat second floor. :disgust:

:poorvette:
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:26 am
Johnny_P wrote:
:poorvette:
I couldn't do it man. I'd end up destroying the car in Philly. The roads here are just so bad right now, I'd probably high center it over blown out road sections. The STI is handling it somewhat OK I guess but truk/SUV would be best for sure.
Johnny_P

4th gen Fraud Focus

Looks like a Hyundai
IDK whatever. 8AT this time around, so the powershit is gone. Ecoboost engines likely, 1.5T has been listed.
Some active safety features and quieter interior and all.

Nobody cares, not a CUV.
ChrisoftheNorth

Just gonna say that it looks like a Hyundai.

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

That 4th photo down looks straight Mazda 3
ChrisoftheNorth

At least they have an XV Crosstrek version. :iono:
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

But that grill is all hyundai
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I think the hood looks A5ish, side like a Mazda3 and back like a Hyundai. Its okay, not great.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:50 am That 4th photo down looks straight Mazda 3
:dat:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

without the ford badge, people would mistake it as a kia. :sad:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Wagon looks ok, but unsure if it's coming to Murica.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:21 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:00 pm

The first cars were more akin to trucks really. They were designed to be able to drive through serious mud bogs since most roads weren't paved at that time. Yeah I'm not sure how/why sedans became popular. Probably just because early cars had no real locking cabs so you had a trunk in the back to lock things into, and that evolved with the vehicle overall.

I like my sedan, really I do. I like having a separate trunk space that's always out of view and the ability to pack 4 people plus a lot of crap in the trunk at the same time. But man that truck just fucking swallowed that ditch. Ground clearance matters. And the Tiggy has balloon tires with massive sidewall, that helps as well.
Man, you guys in the Northeast....your car decisions are literally dictated by crumbling infrastructure.....that makes you the same as Mexico and other third world nations. Sad!
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.