Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/02/27/ ... eased.html

New face of the :dillerman:

5 cars a day? What kind of BS is this... no fucking way can he do that. I suppose he has 10 other dudes working for him and just takes the "credit" since he is the "manager" they all talk to.
Reda broke a 44-year-old record by moving 1,582 cars off the lots of Les Stanford Chevrolet and Cadillac in Dearborn, Mich. last year,
Last edited by max225 on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225

But 5 cars a day... (with 0 days off and holidays) how... ?!. every car transaction I have encountered takes at least 30 min to 2 hrs. Unless somehow a human being can bang through that in 5 min or less I don't see it happening.
I suppose selling 1000 cars to like Hertz or something may work?!
Last edited by max225 on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

troyguitar wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:16 pm
4zilch wrote:
:like:

Considering these as my "fun" tar and leaving Sport Comp A/S on for general duty. They seem to provide adequate grip for local hoonage.
They're definitely better than the Rival-S unless you only use them for dry autox/time trials, but if you're just doing HPDE and similar non-competitive stuff I'd go Falken RT615K+ or Hankook RS4. You lose a tiny amount of grip and gain a lot of heat resistance and tread life vs the RE71R/Rival-S. Supposedly the Falken has the best steering response of any street tire.
:word:

I could probably go 215/45/16 on the Falkens. I'd probably need 17" :ramz: for the appropriately sized Hankook
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:16 pm http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/02/27/ ... eased.html

50 cars a day? What kind of BS is this... no fucking way can he do that. I suppose he has 10 other dudes working for him and just takes the "credit" since he is the "manager" they all talk to.
Reda broke a 44-year-old record by moving 1,582 cars off the lots of Les Stanford Chevrolet and Cadillac in Dearborn, Mich. last year,
:bruh: 5 cars a day. Errday doe.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:39 pm But 50 cars a day... (with 0 days off and holidays) how... ?!. every car transaction I have encountered takes at least 30 min to 2 hrs. Unless somehow a human being can bang through that in 5 min or less I don't see it happening.
:iono: I've literally worked with a sales guy for 10 min, then sat for 90 min for financing.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:41 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:16 pm http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/02/27/ ... eased.html

50 cars a day? What kind of BS is this... no fucking way can he do that. I suppose he has 10 other dudes working for him and just takes the "credit" since he is the "manager" they all talk to.

It is my monday... Been off for 5 days without :math: time to get back into the grind yo.
max225

4zilch wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:42 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:39 pm But 5 cars a day... (with 0 days off and holidays) how... ?!. every car transaction I have encountered takes at least 30 min to 2 hrs. Unless somehow a human being can bang through that in 5 min or less I don't see it happening.
:iono: I've literally worked with a sales guy for 10 min, then sat for 90 min for financing.
So no test drive? No dog and pony show nothing?
Even for a tire kicking event the saleshole spends 30 min to 1 hr with you. Before inviting you to his den for ass poundings.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:39 pm But 5 cars a day... (with 0 days off and holidays) how... ?!. every car transaction I have encountered takes at least 30 min to 2 hrs. Unless somehow a human being can bang through that in 5 min or less I don't see it happening.
I'm willing to bet over 900 were white silverados in work truck trim
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

4zilch wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:16 pm They're definitely better than the Rival-S unless you only use them for dry autox/time trials, but if you're just doing HPDE and similar non-competitive stuff I'd go Falken RT615K+ or Hankook RS4. You lose a tiny amount of grip and gain a lot of heat resistance and tread life vs the RE71R/Rival-S. Supposedly the Falken has the best steering response of any street tire.

I could probably go 215/45/16 on the Falkens. I'd probably need 17" :ramz: for the appropriately sized Hankook
Ahh yeah 16" :ramz: limit your options. It might be worth picking up some cheap-ish and wider wheels to better support the tires anyway. They feel better and last longer with a small stretch (205 on 8, 225 on 9, just convert the mm size to inches and that's about the ideal wheel width).

Consider some $15 front camber bolts too to keep the front outside tires flat in corners. Having no class rules makes things so much easier. Between that and a wider wheel, you could double or triple your front tire life.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:45 pm

Even for a tire kicking event the saleshole spends 30 min to 1 hr with you. Before inviting you to his den for ass poundings.
I was in and out at Subaru in about 30 minutes. VW took about 3-4 hours. A 5 minute test drive usually takes at least a half hour between the dog and pony show and visiting the rape cave. Which is why I hate car shopping. Test drive things, that's easy to say. In reality it's a massive pain in the ass.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote:

I was waiting for someone to point out the :225: :math:

:impressive: order of magnitude error.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:50 pm

I was in and out at Subaru in about 30 minutes. VW took about 3-4 hours. A 5 minute test drive usually takes at least a half hour between the dog and pony show and visiting the rape cave. Which is why I hate car shopping. Test drive things, that's easy to say. In reality it's a massive pain in the ass.
But you were doing some :unicorn: transaction... through costco or whatever that was prenegotiated. Most of the time you still drive the car/pick it up etc etc. I mean out of the 30+ transactions I have had I'd say the average was around 30min with the saleshole, 15 min on the lower end and 2 hrs on the higher end.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:51 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
I was waiting for someone to point out the :225: :math:

:impressive: order of magnitude error.
Been fixed. Just a trump style Error. Nothing to see here.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

No, but often I've made up my mind and go in with the intention of buying. If I had it my way, I'd have a price negotiated via email and walk straight into financing and sign the paperwork.
max225

4zilch wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:53 pm

No, but often I've made up my mind and go in with the intention of buying. If I had it my way, I'd have a price negotiated via email and walk straight into financing and sign the paperwork.
I always pre-negotiate over email, but still take the cars for a test drive, just to be sure everything is ok. That seems to be a normal course of action.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
4zilch wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:53 pm No, but often I've made up my mind and go in with the intention of buying. If I had it my way, I'd have a price negotiated via email and walk straight into financing and sign the paperwork.
I always pre-negotiate over email, but still take the cars for a test drive, just to be sure everything is ok. That seems to be a normal course of action.
That's what I did on the RX8, but they still took over an hour to do an enormous amount of paper work and try to sell me extended warranties. :dillerman: gonna :dillerman:

The place was empty though, so it's not like they had other customers waiting.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:50 pm
4zilch wrote:

Ahh yeah 16" :ramz: limit your options. It might be worth picking up some cheap-ish and wider wheels to better support the tires anyway. They feel better and last longer with a small stretch (205 on 8, 225 on 9, just convert the mm size to inches and that's about the ideal wheel width).

Consider some $15 front camber bolts too to keep the front outside tires flat in corners. Having no class rules makes things so much easier. Between that and a wider wheel, you could double or triple your front tire life.
True story.

Problem is odd bolt pattern on the FiST makes finding :scrooge: ramz difficult to find, and difficult to sell when the time comes. Focal and Advanti make 17x8's for the FiST, as well as TD. Nobody that I can find makes a 16x8. TD makes a 15x8, but they also come have a fair amount of offset (47.5 OE vs 35 TD) Could convert to Mazda 2 hubs, discs, etc to get a 4x100 bolt pattern and open up options, but don't have much motivation to go that far.

Needless to say, my choices are limited.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

4zilch wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:14 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:50 pm

True story.

Problem is odd bolt pattern on the FiST makes finding :scrooge: ramz difficult to find, and difficult to sell when the time comes. Focal and Advanti make 17x8's for the FiST, as well as TD. Nobody that I can find makes a 16x8. TD makes a 15x8, but they also come have a fair amount of offset (47.5 OE vs 35 TD) Could convert to Mazda 2 hubs, discs, etc to get a 4x100 bolt pattern and open up options, but don't have much motivation to go that far.

Sounds like you need a ND.
troyguitar

4zilch wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:50 pm Ahh yeah 16" :ramz: limit your options. It might be worth picking up some cheap-ish and wider wheels to better support the tires anyway. They feel better and last longer with a small stretch (205 on 8, 225 on 9, just convert the mm size to inches and that's about the ideal wheel width).

True story.

Such Ferd. Which :ramz: are people using for the new STH autox class? That size should have decent resale value since hub changes aren't allowed. Someone will want the :ramz: to give the class a shot after you're done with them.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:24 pm
4zilch wrote:
True story.

Such Ferd. Which :ramz: are people using for the new STH autox class? That size should have decent resale value since hub changes aren't allowed. Someone will want the :ramz: to give the class a shot after you're done with them.
On stock hubs - 15x8 or 16x7. 15x8 TD's probably wouldn't be too hard to sell. Lots of guys say they want to go that route, but saying and spending money are 2 different things lol.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:20 pm
4zilch wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:14 pm

True story.

Sounds like you need a ND.
:dat:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

FWIW RE71's give me the most size options. Could do 195/55/16 :225:
troyguitar

4zilch wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:55 pm FWIW RE71's give me the most size options. Could do 195/55/16 :225:
That probably is the best bet. Stock wheels are what, 7" wide? Either that or the Falken are your best bets.

In other news, they're making a Fiata that's sort of a coupe!

https://www.motor1.com/news/234511/abar ... ouncement/

Carbon hardtop with actual insulation and BIG rear window with defroster, plus lighter 17" OZ :ramz:

:notbad:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:06 pm
4zilch wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:55 pm FWIW RE71's give me the most size options. Could do 195/55/16 :225:
That probably is the best bet. Stock wheels are what, 7" wide? Either that or the Falken are your best bets.

Carbon hardtop with actual insulation and BIG rear window with defroster, plus lighter 17" OZ :ramz:

yeah - stock are 17x7. I have a set of 16x7 that the fun tars will likely go on.

Also dat Fiata
:fap: :fap: :fap:
:fap: :jizz: :fap:
:fap: :fap: :fap:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:06 pm

:fuckyeah:

This is neat. The world needs moar coupes.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.