Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Davestr wrote:Max the 18's on an M2 -

Looks a million times better than the 20s.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

troyguitar wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:32 pm

Looks a million times better than the 20s.
I agree Troy. Much better proportions with the 18's.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:52 am
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:40 pm The 8AT is not easy to get accustomed to, at first I disliked it. Especially with the baby :jalepenis: motor (2.0).

The sport mode is great for hooning, however the regular mode does take a few kick downs to get into the right gear.
The normal mode in the 2.0 is not good at all... constant hunting, unless you don't want to keep up with traffic.
Yeah, comfort or eco modes kick down into the lowest gears ASAP which drives me :fullretard:

Sport is good in the 8AT. Really good.
Well I guess that's what I did wrong. I had to put the transmission in sports mode in the sports car. :gaydance:

The Mini 6AT was pretty decent out of the gate, no need for sport mode.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:07 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:06 pm

Well I guess that's what I did wrong. I had to put the transmission in sports mode in the sports car. :gaydance:

The Mini 6AT was pretty decent out of the gate, no need for sport mode.
I put every BMW/MINI I drive into sport mode.

Plebe mode ain't good enough.
It should default to sports mode and then you have the option to neuter it from there. Especially in a car that claims to be sporty.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:07 pm I put every BMW/MINI I drive into sport mode.

Plebe mode ain't good enough.
It should default to sports mode and then you have the option to neuter it from there. Especially in a car that claims to be sporty.
Has to default to eco because EPA. :thanksobama:
Davestr

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:25 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:13 pm I’m going to the SF car show today, will post pics
I was going to go today too, but this cold kicked in on it's third wind... #ithinkimdying
Get better soon! Someone needs to keep order here! :) :D
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:25 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:13 pm I’m going to the SF car show today, will post pics
I was going to go today too, but this cold kicked in on it's third wind... #ithinkimdying
Sorry to hear :( it was fairly decent ... not many great things out but some... new Lexus there ... no jl tons of mb products doe
max225

BMW oled tails

Worlds biggest sunroof literally the entire roof lifts off and moves into the back glass

This thing is art not a car

“Hot” V in the C63 amg ... biggish turbros also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Davestr wrote:
Devilchrono wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:40 pm :dat:

But, knowing how to drive a :manuel: is at least a good skill to have
I have it. World turns that now I have a car with DCT as well. Joking or not the manual vs DCT auto talk is pointless and for the most part the folks vehement about manuals or else world ends are usually the MORONS. It might be a good skill to have an open mind and appreciate both for what they are in the larger scheme.

This is an interesting read by an actual industry expert on the subject and the physics and reality of both - Of course he is a moran to some here LOL - http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/ca ... -are-dead/

Lamborghinis are supposed to be about raw emotion: the scream of a V12 engine, the thrill of mile-wide tires scrambling for grip, the joy of driving something built without a single care thrown toward convenience, practicality, or the rigors of everyday humdrum life.

You'd think a manual transmission would fit the formula perfectly.

But at the Frankfurt Auto Show last week, R&T sat down with Maurizio Reggiani, Director of Research and Development at Lamborghini. And while the Lamborghini news at the show was the introduction of the Huracán LP 610-4 Spyder, we couldn't help asking Mr. Reggiani a question that's been weighing on our minds: Is the dream of a manual-transmission Lamborghini dead?

"Unfortunately I must say yes," he told us. "All the systems that are integrated in the car need to have a dialog with one another. The clutch is one of the fuses of the system, whether you're engaging or disengaging the torque. This creates a hole in the communication between what the engine is able to provide and how the car reacts to the power of the engine. For this reason, unfortunately, I must say I am sure that in a premium supersports car like the Huracán, we will only do a semiautomatic.

"Unfortunately, it's the demand of the control of the chassis," he continued. "If you want to control the chassis, you must control the power. If you want to control the power, the clutch must be under the control of the brain of the car, not your brain."

This decision wasn't easy, and Mr. Reggiani understands the yearning among traditionalists for a three-pedal Lamborghini. But he brings up a very good point about modern manual transmissions, one that doesn't get discussed very often among three-pedal evangelists: Today's manual transmissions aren't the pure, directly-connected driver's experience you think they are.

It all comes down to the mechanics of what happens when you push the clutch pedal. "Remember, when you put a servo system between your feet and the clutch, you have already put a filter in there. For me, the most pure expression of the manual transmission is when with your foot you push all the load that is necessary to disengage the clutch."

So when people pining for manual transmissions hold up today's three-pedal sports cars as standard bearers of purity, it puzzles Mr. Reggiani. "In all the latest manual transmissions, there is a servo that reduces the load [of the clutch pedal]," he explains. "If we want to talk about the purist [experience], we must go back 20 years, not 10 years, because already these filters were in place.

Then there's the practical side. "I've been working for Lamborghini for 20 years. I started at the time of the Diablo, [which had] a clutch without a servo. You needed 40 kilograms of force to disengage the clutch. At that time, we were making 450 N m of torque. Now we are at 690. It's a problem to manage the closing point of the clutch. If you have hesitation, with this torque you'll burn the clutch immediately.

"And unfortunately not everybody can be a super expert, but everybody wants to buy the car and nobody wants to appear stupid. For this, you must put the servo in there, and if you put the servo in there you disengage the really mechanical feeling between you and the engine."

In other words, if you want a Lamborghini with power like the 740-hp Aventador LP750-4 SV, you're gonna have to settle for a transmission that's smarter than you. As for Mr. Reggiani? When he wants to get that purist mechanical feel, he hops in his 1966 Alfa Romeo Duetto, with a manual transmission and no servos in sight.
Good point on the servo clutch engagement. :like: . Most pedals nowadays feel vague, but it is nice to be able to commit to a gear/rpm prior to cornering. I wouldn't trade it for my recent experience with the latest gen DSGay, entertaining rapid shifts accompanied by rev matching and all kinds of instant get up and go. It's fun and Devilchrono is right, you feel connected and able to focus on other tasks which keeps the driving experience pretty :stig:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Mmmm :meat: :like:
Davestr

[user not found] wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:56 am
Tarspin wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:57 pm Mmmm :meat: :like:
:dat:

I love the standard wheels on the M3/4. Look great on the M2, too.
:like:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

wap wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:22 pm New Fuckus spy pics

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/2019- ... hotos-news
I wonder if it put on any weight... Or if they are putting in a new auto trans?
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

NeonJonny wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:24 am

I wonder if it put on any weight... Or if they are putting in a new auto trans?
:iono:
I do like the look with the new swoopy sides. From some angles it reminds me of the true 1'er hatch that we don't get here.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

Fuck that thing if it is made in China
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

max225 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:09 pm

Ford?

Who buys a Ford anymore?

Fuck Ford. I will buy another Hyundai before any Ford after the level of quality and lack of support on the 2015 Mustang GT.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:10 pm

Ford?

Who buys a Ford anymore?

Fuck Ford. I will buy another Hyundai before any Ford after the level of quality and lack of support on the 2015 Mustang GT.
Korea>China
Democracy, support of the US, hotter women
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Ford?

Who buys a Ford anymore?

Clearly you didn’t slaughter enough people leaving cars and coffee.

My buddy had the most difficult time getting a battery for his GT. The parts guy kept insisting he wanted one for a Mustang GT and not a GT.
max225

Apex wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:55 pm

Ford?

Who buys a Ford anymore?

My buddy had the most difficult time getting a battery for his GT. The parts guy kept insisting he wanted one for a Mustang GT and not a GT.
Firstworldproblems
Davestr

Ford?

Who buys a Ford anymore?

+1. My FoST was fine but the issues on the forums plus the GT350 issues, plus the issues you had = NO THANK YOU! Im glad the GT350 sounds amazing --- so what lol. FoRS is a loser now with the headgasket issue - on and on and on. Ford. Be glad you didnt buy one. Better choices out there. Their job one-- seems to be not enabling future sales.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:06 pm
Apex wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:55 pm

Firstworldproblems
:dat:
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

Gun to my head I'd be to afraid to buy anything new. Even a truck. Cars aren't simple anymore. I'd take a headgasket over a piece of shit Subaru with Ringland failure any day of the week. At least ford is doing something about it. That car is killer- they'll find a way to fix the problem correctly. Only time will tell if that new gasket will be sufficient. Did Subaru ever come forward and say hey our tunes literally cause your car to detonate and run lean just to pass smog? Nope.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

NeonJonny wrote:Gun to my head I'd be to afraid to buy anything new. Even a truck. Cars aren't simple anymore. I'd take a headgasket over a piece of shit Subaru with Ringland failure any day of the week. At least ford is doing something about it. That car is killer- they'll find a way to fix the problem correctly. Only time will tell if that new gasket will be sufficient. Did Subaru ever come forward and say hey our tunes literally cause your car to detonate and run lean just to pass smog? Nope.
Not to mention, it mostly is known for that engine that’s been equipped for 10 years now, it should’ve been revisioned, etc. but if a vape bro with parent sponsor mods the hell out of it, thats a different story and its a huge target audience for Sti’s.

Take a look at BMW, when they switched from N54 to N55, they are proven to be more reliable. N54 eats waterpumps and fuel pumps for days, and the source is, wait for it, a design flaw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

N54 also eats turbo waste Gates and has carbon build
Up for days it is a shit engine for the long term
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:12 am N54 also eats turbo waste Gates and has carbon build
Up for days it is a shit engine for the long term
that pretty much goes for any direct injection turbo cars.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.