Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 3:09 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:39 am Lots of shit we finally have to lean into getting done before the new baby comes:

1) new carpet in his room and probably the office if we get a dill
2) painting pretty much the whole damn interior of the house
3) sleeper sofa for the office since we are losing a bedroom
4) another nursery of furniture

:wasteful: :troywax:
You can't put a price on living vicariously through your crotchfruit.
$15k/yr, how much my neighbor pays to put his 13yr old into competitive AAA hockey. :disgust:
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Tarspin wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:12 am
Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 3:09 pm

You can't put a price on living vicariously through your crotchfruit.
$15k/yr, how much my neighbor pays to put his 13yr old into competitive AAA hockey. :disgust:
My boss's son used to play hockey like this. Now they know someone on almost every NHL team and have held the Cup. :notbad: if that's what you're into.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

$15k/year for SPORTS?

:wtf: :butwhy: :nope:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:57 am
SAWCE wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 12:26 pm

Rereading his post now, I see that he said I’d need a wireless router also.. but I wasn’t thinking at the time. Modem and router have become synonymous to me.
:ohdang: Sorry breh, should have made that more clear.

You want separate modem and wifi. From my experience, WiFI routers fail more frequently, and WiFi standards are constantly improving, so upgrading every few years can be common. If it's built into the modem, you'll be throwing out a good working modem to get WiFi. The modem will just keep cranking along ZFG by itself, so all you have to do is upgrade your WiFi router. I think I've had 4 WiFi routers working through my current modem through the years.
No worries. I got the time capsule set up as my router now. Only thing that’s weird is my phone is picking up the signal and connecting. Network tests show that it’s the Cox network and I’m getting just over my 30mbps.. but my laptop and TV are both giving me IP address errors trying to connect wirelessly or hardwired. Having a buddy come over tonight to see if he can troubleshoot. Any of you have experience with this?
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:55 am
Detroit wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:57 am
:ohdang: Sorry breh, should have made that more clear.

You want separate modem and wifi. From my experience, WiFI routers fail more frequently, and WiFi standards are constantly improving, so upgrading every few years can be common. If it's built into the modem, you'll be throwing out a good working modem to get WiFi. The modem will just keep cranking along ZFG by itself, so all you have to do is upgrade your WiFi router. I think I've had 4 WiFi routers working through my current modem through the years.
No worries. I got the time capsule set up as my router now. Only thing that’s weird is my phone is picking up the signal and connecting. Network tests show that it’s the Cox network and I’m getting just over my 30mbps.. but my laptop and TV are both giving me IP address errors trying to connect wirelessly or hardwired. Having a buddy come over tonight to see if he can troubleshoot. Any of you have experience with this?
Interesting...I've never used Apple WiFi devices for this reason. I've heard about them only communicating with other Apple products and ignoring the rest. Hopefully your buddy can get it ironed out.

I'm using Google WiFi now, and it's a pretty great setup. But overkill for an apt IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:57 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:55 am

Interesting...I've never used Apple WiFi devices for this reason. I've heard about them only communicating with other Apple products and ignoring the rest. Hopefully your buddy can get it ironed out.

I'm using Google WiFi now, and it's a pretty great setup. But overkill for an apt IMO.
Laptop is an MBP and won't connect, even though it and my TV show the network I have set up. But whats more weird, is that even hardwiring either of them directly to the modem and bypassing the router, they won't connect and come up with that same IP address issue.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:35 am $15k/year for SPORTS?

I'm pretty sure DirecTV can get you all the sports packages for a lot less than that. :)
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

So it's hot as fuck up here this week and our HVAC cannot keep up. Need to get a newer,more efficient set up.

I know these fucking ducts are jacket to though. Ain't no way I'm opening that can of worms rn.
SAWCE

If my boy can't figure it out tonight, I'll buy a different router to use. Links from Detroit or Waxer would be appreciated since they're on that separate modem and router tip.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:35 am $15k/year for SPORTS?

:dat:
Most college/university programs cost that or less (here) and a person pays it for 4 yrs in most cases. Why these parents are willing to fork that over for kids sports is beyond me. Putting my kid in baseball this yr costs me like $300, and that includes literally everything.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

My sister loves the Google WiFi stuff.
Last edited by KYGTIGuy on Tue May 29, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:07 pm If my boy can't figure it out tonight, I'll buy a different router to use. Links from Detroit or Waxer would be appreciated since they're on that separate modem and router tip.
I run Google WiFi, did so for the mesh network to cover my house and outside

https://store.google.com/us/product/goo ... i?hl=en-US

Stupid easy to setup and has been dead reliable.

I replaced a TP Link router that was solid the entire time I had, just didn't have the range I needed (4 floors basement to 3rd and outside).

Something like this would probably treat you fine...
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless ... ifi+router
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:27 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:07 pm If my boy can't figure it out tonight, I'll buy a different router to use. Links from Detroit or Waxer would be appreciated since they're on that separate modem and router tip.

I replaced a TP Link router that was solid the entire time I had, just didn't have the range I needed (4 floors basement to 3rd and outside).

Much appreciated. I'll order tonight if we can't get the Time Capsule working.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:30 pm

Does apple support the time capsule anymore?
SAWCE

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:35 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:30 pm

I know they don't make it as of a few years back, but I don't think it's been "archived" by them yet.. so actually yeah, maybe I'll call their tech support to see if they can help me out if my buddy can't tonight.

I still think it's weird that even hardwiring the TV or my laptop to the modem wouldn't work either though.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

+1 for that tp link router. I've used it for going on 2 years now with 0 issues
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:50 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:35 pm

I know they don't make it as of a few years back, but I don't think it's been "archived" by them yet.. so actually yeah, maybe I'll call their tech support to see if they can help me out if my buddy can't tonight.

I still think it's weird that even hardwiring the TV or my laptop to the modem wouldn't work either though.
Well, you need a router of some sort to transmit the signal from the modem. Can you hardwire between the time capsule and your TV or laptop?
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:57 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:50 pm

Well, you need a router of some sort to transmit the signal from the modem. Can you hardwire between the time capsule and your TV or laptop?
Nope, I tried that as well.. Got the same IP address error. I tried messing with some of the IP settings on the TV myself, but I'm not super knowledgeable about that stuff.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

[user not found] wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:49 pm Painting scheduled. $4500. On one hand :disgust: on the other we will do this every five or six years and I don't ever have to paint? Works out to like $800 bucks a year? I'll take it.
It’s interesting how as we get older and build families, we have far less of an issue paying others to do things like this.
:therapist:
ChrisoftheNorth

Painting is a tough one. Wife and I have done so much painting that we can get a room done in a few hours at this point. We've gotten quotes and it just never makes sense. Especially when you consider the amount of plaster repair I usually do when painting, the cost is :fullretard:

However, if we didn't work so well together, the equation would change significantly.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Anyone have a home warranty?
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:20 am Anyone have a home warranty?
I've looked into it, got quotes, etc and always decide that it's better to just self-insure by putting that money in savings.

I do have a sewer line warranty, :doe: Covers anything that can go wrong with the line for $3.50/mo. That's the only one that has made sense to me.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:53 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:20 am Anyone have a home warranty?
I've looked into it, got quotes, etc and always decide that it's better to just self-insure by putting that money in savings.

I do have a sewer line warranty, :doe: Covers anything that can go wrong with the line for $3.50/mo. That's the only one that has made sense to me.
Yeah I've heard good and bad stories about them. Need a new HVAC soon and thought it was with a look
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:25 am
Detroit wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:53 am

Yeah I've heard good and bad stories about them. Need a new HVAC soon and thought it was with a look
Look closely at the warranty. Many won't cover things that are too old. On my last house, our AC unit was 20 years old. Still worked fine, but made me :notsure: Most warranties I looked at wouldn't cover a unit that was older than 15 years or something.