Poverty 4x4 thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:33 pm
This car was so ahead of its time. Let's appreciate this for a second here...

Sliding rear cargo tie down tray, much like the current 4Runner has in some trims, and like all the overlanding crowd wants and spends retard money on.
Party mode rear speakers with a controller in the back, that's just cool.
12V power in the back.
Completely flat floor because it's a minivan. 4x8 sheets of plywood can lay flat.
You could get an air mattress, air compressor, and tent attachment as a factory accessory.
The center console is a cooler and it's removable.
Split tailgate has butt cutouts and cup holders for 2 turning it into a bench.
AWD
A modicum of ground clearance for soft roading.
V6 engine

:bravo: too bad it looks like ass inside and out, and had poor fuel economy.
My mom had one when they first came out, she thought it was the coolest thing ever. And so did I. I really appreciated all the features, too bad it looked so bad.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Aztek was a great vehicle. There's a Buick version too which is perhaps slightly less hideous? :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:43 pm Aztek was a great vehicle. There's a Buick version too which is perhaps slightly less hideous? :iono:
ahh yes, the Rendezvous...

slightly less hideous I guess, but not as #activelyfestyle

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Instead of buying a shitty pos like that why not just get a small trailer for 5k and tow it behind something decent.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:47 pm Instead of buying a shitty pos like that why not just get a small trailer for 5k and tow it behind something decent.
Depends what the intended use is. Trailers can be a liability if adventuring far off the grid.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:47 pm Instead of buying a shitty pos like that why not just get a small trailer for 5k and tow it behind something decent.
Is he street parking the trailer in Philly? Or is this going to be a buy it the day he leaves for the adventure?
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:56 pm
Is he street parking the trailer in Philly? Or is this going to be a buy it the day he leaves for the adventure?
What adventure?
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:04 pm

What adventure?
Johnny :wasteful: s adventure across NA after he quits his job in March. Going to travel west and then hit up some of Canadia and Alaska maybe. Overland style. Just a :wasteful: a :jeep: or :truk: or :van: , his mountain bike and the open road/countryside.

Sig other wants him to take the trip to find himself and what he wants to do in life.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:07 pm
What adventure?
Johnny :wasteful: s adventure across NA after he quits his job in March. Going to travel west and then hit up some of Canadia and Alaska maybe. Overland style. Just a :wasteful: a :jeep: or :truk: or :van: , his mountain bike and the open road/countryside.

Sig other wants him to take the trip to find himself and what he wants to do in life.
Fucking awesome.

4x4 Van no doubt.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
Apex wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:07 pm Johnny :wasteful: s adventure across NA after he quits his job in March. Going to travel west and then hit up some of Canadia and Alaska maybe. Overland style. Just a :wasteful: a :jeep: or :truk: or :van: , his mountain bike and the open road/countryside.

Fucking awesome.

4x4 Van no doubt.
SAFARI! It's even named appropriately.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Fucking awesome.

4x4 Van no doubt.
SAFARI! It's even named appropriately.
I was actually thinking that. An AWD Astro/Safari van with a slight lift for more ground clearance would be ideal.

Something LIKE this...

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/ ... 72075.html
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:12 pm
Apex wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:07 pm

Fucking awesome.

4x4 Van no doubt.
:rage: nobody fucking makes one! None of the vans are off road capable.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:21 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:17 pm SAFARI! It's even named appropriately.
I was actually thinking that. An AWD Astro/Safari van with a slight lift for more ground clearance would be ideal.

Something LIKE this...

Aren't these things death traps? They have crossed my mind...
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:23 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:12 pm
Fucking awesome.

4x4 Van no doubt.
You're overlanding, not hardcore wheeling. You need something that's bulletproof, easy to find parts for, with reasonable ground clearance. A lifted Astro/Safari fits the bill perfectly.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:24 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:21 pm

Something LIKE this...

Aren't these things death traps? They have crossed my mind...
In what way?

They'll run forever and parts are everywhere. It's perfect for what you want to do.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:24 pm Aren't these things death traps? They have crossed my mind...
In what way?

They'll run forever and parts are everywhere. It's perfect for what you want to do.
Aren't there kits to convert them from AWD to a proper 4x4 system too? :wasteful:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:27 pm
Detroit wrote: In what way?

Aren't there kits to convert them from AWD to a proper 4x4 system too? :wasteful:
I think so, but again...for what he's doing, the AWD system would be fine.
max225

What adventure?
You are literally me 2 days ago. He still hasn't posted the actual plans or :wtf: is actually happening :rage:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:37 pm
What adventure?
You are literally me 2 days ago. He still hasn't posted the actual plans or :wtf: is actually happening :rage:
:millennial:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:26 pm
wap wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:55 pm
:dat:
It could very well be a life changing adventure.
:dat:

Image all the places we'll see :neek: pop up? :amazing:

We need to be sure he has a ton of :neek: available to :neek: everything, everywhere.
5/7 idea! :lol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:44 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:37 pm
:millennial:
And Dgriffs oil leak are driving me nuts and they are both :aintcare:
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Johnny_P wrote:
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:12 pm Fucking awesome.

4x4 Van no doubt.
ahem...
Johnny_P

rockchops wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:59 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
ahem...
Yeah yours would work for this.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:16 pm
rockchops wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:59 pm ahem...
Yeah yours would work for this.
Disagree.

While you want something reliable, you really want something with insane parts availability. If you're in the middle of BFE Canada and something breaks (it will), you want to be able to go to any local parts store, garage, junkyard, whatever and get a replacement part to stay on the road. Some ZOMG rando JDM or Euro thing will screw you here. Overnight parts from Japan don't exist in BFE. Something that was made in mass quantities and distributed all over NAFTA would be critical. Think Ford E-series van or GM G-van or Astro/Safari.

Another great option would be a full size pickup with a drop-in camper. F-150 or K1500 or the like.

It's fun to think of random unique things, but in this case for what you want to do, the more common the better. That's why Toyotas are popular overland vehicles in ROW because parts are everywhere.
ChrisoftheNorth