Poverty 4x4 thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:51 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:47 pm
And you have epic :derp: s in your area. Can totally see the reservation. Coming out to your truck spray painted with dicks, windows broken, tires slashed, etc...that's a shitty experience.

Which is stupid because that H3 is probably no worse for the environment than a V8 4Runner or whatever.

Might be worth you at least checking it out?
I want it... but given my uncertain work/living arrangement. I am not sure it is the right move... i am pretty conservative about this.... the vehicle is epic, at least on paper. I haven't driven one yet so I don't know. But it can't possibly be bad for what it is.
It's completely incompatible with your planned urban apocalypse. Unless you ditch Mk.2 and dig in in the East Bay. Given all of these "stigma" issues all of you guys seem to be facing maybe you should just stick to the BMWs. LOL. Being self employed has highs and lows, I will add "drive whatever the fuck you want" to the highs list.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:04 pm
I want it... but given my uncertain work/living arrangement. I am not sure it is the right move... i am pretty conservative about this.... the vehicle is epic, at least on paper. I haven't driven one yet so I don't know. But it can't possibly be bad for what it is.
It's completely incompatible with your planned urban apocalypse. Unless you ditch Mk.2 and dig in in the East Bay. Given all of these "stigma" issues all of you guys seem to be facing maybe you should just stick to the BMWs. LOL. Being self employed has highs and lows, I will add "drive whatever the fuck you want" to the highs list.
I definitely get a lot of push back at the office regarding owning a BMW and Corvette... can't even make the "your :truk: /CR-V/whatever cost more than my cars" argument because most people here just have shit cars. :iono: though, :aintcare: I drive what I like and can afford it because I share a one bedroom apartment and don't have half a dozen CF.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Mk2 is not a dumb moran who wants to be :wasteful: she is fully aware that a JLUR costs "more than a wedding" she welcomed the fact that this thing is only 13k. :member: she drives a 2010 TSX with 90k miles and gives about 0 fucks about these things. For shits and giggles I brought up the hummer at the watercooler place... No one knows the H3 it seems however everyone knows the hummer brand... which is surprising. However a hummer in everyone's mind means H2. The H3 is a vivid outlier in that line up.

It is basically the same size and performance as a JLUR at 1/4 of the price. Granted with 100k farts + ancient 4 speed.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:54 pm

Mk2 is not a dumb moran who wants to be :wasteful: she is fully aware that a JLUR costs "more than a wedding" she welcomed the fact that this thing is only 13k. :member: she drives a 2010 TSX with 90k miles and gives about 0 fucks about these things.
I wasn't coming down on Mk. 2 as a crazy rich asian. I was just saying that if guys are going to shack on Nob Hill and get rid of cars this doesn't jibe with that plan. Just tell your coworkers you got rid of your cars and park "off campus." You will have a nice rig for the Sierra and the leftist proletariat will admire you while also getting the nod on weekends from the locals in Truckee.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:59 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:54 pm

Mk2 is not a dumb moran who wants to be :wasteful: she is fully aware that a JLUR costs "more than a wedding" she welcomed the fact that this thing is only 13k. :member: she drives a 2010 TSX with 90k miles and gives about 0 fucks about these things.
I wasn't coming down on Mk. 2 as a crazy rich asian. I was just saying that if guys are going to shack on Nob Hill and get rid of cars this doesn't jibe with that plan. Just tell your coworkers you got rid of your cars and park "off campus." You will have a nice rig for the Sierra and the leftist proletariat will admire you while also getting the nod on weekends from the locals in Truckee.
Well, I'd still would like to be not completely car-free, something "cheap" that would serve as a transport would be good. As well as a weekend getaway thing. I have yet to drive one to see if it is even passable as a weekender. I can insure it for next to nothing under 1 way coverage and outside of minor initial maintenance I don't see myself spending more than 2k on it in 2 years, which is :notbad:

I emailed the Hummer bro, :popcorn: asking about trans service and maintenance records if there are any.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:03 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:59 pm

Well, I'd still would like to be not completely car-free, something "cheap" that would serve as a transport would be good. As well as a weekend getaway thing. I have yet to drive one to see if it is even passable as a weekender. I can insure it for next to nothing under 1 way coverage and outside of minor initial maintenance I don't see myself spending more than 2k on it in 2 years, which is :notbad:

I emailed the Hummer bro, :popcorn: asking about trans service and maintenance records if there are any.
:popcorn:

Seems reasonable to pursue it. If you go the city route, will you just try to get a place with a parking spot for this weekend getaway machine, or what? Honestly this isn't the worst city car, it's not all that huge and the low-ish price point is nice in a wasteland for car ownershit.

My :millennial: paradise actually has a deck onsite and I just illegally own/park two cars in it, plus the fiancee's Fusion. We are technically allowed only two spots, one each. So far zero repercussions on that end, but worst case scenario, I could street park one or pay like $50/month for another spot.

Plenty of people cram :truk: and :jeep: into the spots though, NFG. Charlotte is more spacious than SF though.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:19 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:03 pm

Seems reasonable to pursue it. If you go the city route, will you just try to get a place with a parking spot for this weekend getaway machine, or what? Honestly this isn't the worst city car, it's not all that huge and the low-ish price point is nice in a wasteland for car ownershit.

My :millennial: paradise actually has a deck onsite and I just illegally own/park two cars in it, plus the fiancee's Fusion. We are technically allowed only two spots, one each. So far zero repercussions on that end, but worst case scenario, I could street park one or pay like $50/month for another spot.

Plenty of people cram :truk: and :jeep: into the spots though, NFG. Charlotte is more spacious than SF though.
My dad lives about 45 min away from SF. So I'd just park it there.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:20 pm

And poorblic transportation to East Bay for work? :disgust: Or would you be trying to secure a new in-city :millennial: job?
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:23 pm
And poorblic transportation to East Bay for work? :disgust: Or would you be trying to secure a new in-city :millennial: job?
I'd do 3/2 3 days in the office 2 at homo, we also have an office in SF I have been using once a week as is.

I'd prefer public transit to work either way.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

This is actually a remarkably good plan of action, all of it. You're not caged in the city waiting in line with :millennial: all weekend, but you're also not paying out the ass for something you don't use that much. That H3 Alpha will not depreciate that much.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:24 pm
This is actually a remarkably good plan of action, all of it. You're not caged in the city waiting in line with :millennial:s all weekend, but you're also not paying out the ass for something you don't use that much. That H3 Alpha will not depreciate that much.
Yes, this is not an out of the blue type of thing, I gave it some thought. Hence the looking for JKs and used TJs... this seems like a far better value.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

This is actually a remarkably good plan of action, all of it. You're not caged in the city waiting in line with :millennial: all weekend, but you're also not paying out the ass for something you don't use that much. That H3 Alpha will not depreciate that much.
breh seal of approval carries more weight than the bible, IMO. :doit:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:27 pm

This is actually a remarkably good plan of action, all of it. You're not caged in the city waiting in line with :millennial:s all weekend, but you're also not paying out the ass for something you don't use that much. That H3 Alpha will not depreciate that much.
Yes, this is not an out of the blue type of thing, I gave it some thought. Hence the looking for JKs and used TJs... this seems like a far better value.
:poverty:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:28 pm

breh seal of approval carries more weight than the bible, IMO. :doit:
:wub: Max usually has his game plan thought out long before he "introduces" it to DFD.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:30 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:27 pm

I attempted to find XJs and TJs in the 7000-10000 range. And it has been terrible, I even drove 2 TJs. They are not 4 figure cars... and frankly, they have a lot of problems due to sheer age. All of them needed suspension work, tons of delayed/deferred maintenance/wheels/tires etc. Nothing was turn key....
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:42 pm

I attempted to find XJs and TJs in the 7000-10000 range. And it has been terrible, I even drove 2 TJs. They are not 4 figure cars... and frankly, they have a lot of problems due to sheer age. All of them needed suspension work, tons of delayed/deferred maintenance/wheels/tires etc. Nothing was turn key....
Yeah fk that. Frankly I'd rather just pick up well maintained ML320 somewhere for far less.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:49 pm

Yeah fk that. Frankly I'd rather just pick up well maintained ML320 somewhere for far less.
Right which is why I started looking at 4 runners/land cruisers etc. The hummer accidentally popped up in my search since it was on the first page... I did a bit of research... and it seems like a near-perfect vehicle for temporary ownership. I am not kidding myself into thinking I'll own something 5+ years down the line. That won't happen. I am looking for something to use temporarily and flip.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:53 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:49 pm

Right which is why I started looking at 4 runners/land cruisers etc. The hummer accidentally popped up in my search since it was on the first page... I did a bit of research... and it seems like a near-perfect vehicle for temporary ownership. I am not kidding myself into thinking I'll own something 5+ years down the line. That won't happen. I am looking for something to use temporarily and flip.
Eh, you may like it. Same powertrain as my Brahhoe. Nothing exciting but it gets it done. I realize that for many on here owning a vehicle for more than 2 years is akin to contracting AIDS, but 3/4 of the vehicles in my garage are paid for, fully sorted, and there is no reason to :plac: other than hating money. Eventually I plan to plac the Tahoe for a JLU but that's going to take some convincing of the wifepiece.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Yeah man, I've shopped "affordable" :jeep: before and it's rough. A nice TJ is like $15-20K which is insane for a 20 year old ox cart. JKs are pretty high too, but it seems like there may be a sweet spot in the high 20s/low 30s for nice ones. I'd probably just go new or just skip Wranglers all together though.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:20 pm

Yeah man, I've shopped "affordable" :jeep: before and it's rough. A nice TJ is like $15-20K which is insane for a 20 year old ox cart. JKs are pretty high too, but it seems like there may be a sweet spot in the high 20s/low 30s for nice ones. I'd probably just go new or just skip Wranglers all together though.
Nice JKs used to be mid 30s but they are certainly mid 20/high 20s now. 26-29k gets you a sub 50k mile JKU Sport or Sahara. Rubicunts do command a premium. But overall that seems like an insane amount to pay for a toy. Yes things like rubicons/sports cars are toys to me as they serve a different purpose from basic transport.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:34 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:43 pm That picture comparison is crazy. It really looks like a decent size (didn't remember, never see them really). When do you return the XSE?
H3 is about the same size as an Xterra or 4Runner. It's not big at all.
:dat:

Pretty ideal, actually.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:38 pm

Pretty ideal, actually.
:dat: no response from bro... but he did list phone # and I emailed....
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:43 pm

Pretty ideal, actually.
:dat: no response from bro... but he did list phone # and I emailed....
:ohdang: :popcorn:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Pretty ideal, actually.
Does the Alpha come with lockers?
max225

Apex wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:01 pm

Pretty ideal, actually.
Does the Alpha come with lockers?