Poverty 4x4 thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:25 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:23 pm

:rage: nobody fucking makes one! None of the vans are off road capable.
You're overlanding, not hardcore wheeling. You need something that's bulletproof, easy to find parts for, with reasonable ground clearance. A lifted Astro/Safari fits the bill perfectly.
:dat: x100. You will be pounding WAY more highway miles than crawling rocks and forging rivers.
Last edited by dubshow on Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Oh wow.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:26 am
Oh wow.
I no, rite?

I want it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I mean, thats cool and all but nearly ANY taco will do better. Even a long dick bed taco with a shell.

Actually road tripping a 50 year old vehicle sounds terrifying. You can get a NICE 2007-08 taco for under 15k.
Apex

dubshow wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:29 am
I mean, thats cool and all but nearly ANY taco will do better. Even a long dick bed taco with a shell.

Actually road tripping a 50 year old vehicle sounds terrifying. You can get a NICE 2007-08 taco for under 15k.
Taco will need the frame replaced, or it better have documentation that it was already done.
ChrisoftheNorth

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hmn/2 ... 95791.html

Holy hell, it was a factory thing. The inside of the cab opens up to the camper.

I actually really want this now.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Show me a Taco with a drop-in camper for under $15k.

These old trucks were simple and bulletproof. I bet it would do fine running across the country with some basic maintenance. I'd do it.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:32 am

These old trucks were simple and bulletproof. I bet it would do fine running across the country with some basic maintenance. I'd do it.
i hear you but fuel cost would be terrible as well.

ultimate :wasteful:
ChrisoftheNorth

This is actually pretty perfect, but "call for price" I bet it's over $20k.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:37 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:32 am

i hear you but fuel cost would be terrible as well.

ultimate :wasteful:
Gas is basically free, who cares. It would be stupid simple to work on and go anywhere.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:40 am
This is actually pretty perfect, but "call for price" I bet it's over $20k.
yeah maybe, but it exist in his local region. He could go :dillerman: them with fat stacks :troywax:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Dang Zil,

that second link with land cruiser is dope
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:28 am
Apex wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:26 am

Oh wow.
I no, rite?

I want it.
Didn't Tanner Faust drive a home-built version of this on US TopGear and drive it up through Alaska?
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:57 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:28 am
I no, rite?

I want it.
Didn't Tanner Faust drive a home-built version of this on US TopGear and drive it up through Alaska?
:iono:

I'm chatting with the wife about this. She wants it too...might need to do a thing...
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:59 am

I'm chatting with the wife about this. She wants it too...might need to do a thing...
:ohdang:

:popcorn:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Me: "I want something reliable that will take me across the country."
DFD: "You'll take this pickup from 1977 and you'll like it, dammit."
Johnny_P

Doesn't $14k seem like an assload of money for this?
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:59 am

Yes, certainly. I'd only pull the trigger if the dude goes way down on price...like half.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:58 am Me: "I want something reliable that will take me across the country."
DFD: "You'll take this pickup from 1977 and you'll like it, dammit."
You laugh. I think a well maintained 70's/80's domestic full size is a great option for this use.
Johnny_P

Oh my God that Land Cruiser :wub: :wub: :wub:
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Detroit wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:16 pm Yeah yours would work for this.
Disagree.

While you want something reliable, you really want something with insane parts availability. If you're in the middle of BFE Canada and something breaks (it will), you want to be able to go to any local parts store, garage, junkyard, whatever and get a replacement part to stay on the road. Some ZOMG rando JDM or Euro thing will screw you here. Overnight parts from Japan don't exist in BFE. Something that was made in mass quantities and distributed all over NAFTA would be critical. Think Ford E-series van or GM G-van or Astro/Safari.

Another great option would be a full size pickup with a drop-in camper. F-150 or K1500 or the like.

It's fun to think of random unique things, but in this case for what you want to do, the more common the better. That's why Toyotas are popular overland vehicles in ROW because parts are everywhere.
Basic maintenance and a couple items (egr delete and pyrometer, timing belt check) and they're reliable to begin with. Parts arent hard to find as you might think as many of them are not necessarily bespoke to the dang van. Especially in canada. Transfer case was used in toyotas, etc.

The simplicity of a diesel engine with mechanical fuel injection is pretty hard to beat, although I'd take a merc OM617 over the mitsu diesel any day.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:01 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:59 am

Yes, certainly. I'd only pull the trigger if the dude goes way down on price...like half.
No low balls I know what I have.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

20k vehicles are certainly no longer poverty. Johnny for Christ's sake can you make a thread. It makes this one really confusing.
ChrisoftheNorth

rockchops wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Disagree.

While you want something reliable, you really want something with insane parts availability. If you're in the middle of BFE Canada and something breaks (it will), you want to be able to go to any local parts store, garage, junkyard, whatever and get a replacement part to stay on the road. Some ZOMG rando JDM or Euro thing will screw you here. Overnight parts from Japan don't exist in BFE. Something that was made in mass quantities and distributed all over NAFTA would be critical. Think Ford E-series van or GM G-van or Astro/Safari.

Another great option would be a full size pickup with a drop-in camper. F-150 or K1500 or the like.

It's fun to think of random unique things, but in this case for what you want to do, the more common the better. That's why Toyotas are popular overland vehicles in ROW because parts are everywhere.
Basic maintenance and a couple items (egr delete and pyrometer, timing belt check) and they're reliable to begin with. Parts arent hard to find as you might think as many of them are not necessarily bespoke to the dang van. Especially in canada. Transfer case was used in toyotas, etc.

The simplicity of a diesel engine with mechanical fuel injection is pretty hard to beat, although I'd take a merc OM617 over the mitsu diesel any day.
Simplicity is key.