Poverty 4x4 thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:12 am
dtraill27 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:08 am

My GF is all in on one but she wants the stupid limited trim when she should be looking at the sr5 premium
That bumper on the Limited is :gag:

SR5 Premium gets you heated seats and that's about all that's needed. The Trail has neato wheels but IDK if any of the off road shit is even necessary on these. I'm sure they're supremely capable out of the box in poverty trim.

Preaching to the choir guys. I keep telling her get the sr5 premium. She can get a new one for the price of a used limited with 40k miles. Slap the TRD pro grill and wheels on it and it'll look dope
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:14 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:12 am I don't understand this thread. Of anyone on the forum, Max is the most vocal about the impending :doom: of the industry...yet he wants to buy at a high?
Dude, wait a year and the :dill: s will be abundant.
I don't think the low end of the market will collapse much, honestly. Clean Cali cars will always command a premium, at least until gas prices shoot through the roof again. And who knows when that will happen.
Post Fuhrer Cheeto.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:12 am I don't understand this thread. Of anyone on the forum, Max is the most vocal about the impending :nuke: of the industry...yet he wants to buy anyway?
He's already posted some epic :dill: s on :225: FakeSports going for under $30 large that are still in warranty.

:mindblown:

I think there's value in a used cheap as shit 4x4 though. I doubt you'd lose much of anything on these, considering the utter rapeage they went through with C4C, there aren't a shitload of cheap ones available and won't be for some time.

I bet you're on the hook for $3k tops if you buy wisely and re-sell on your own.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:18 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:17 am

He's already posted some epic :dill: s on :225: FakeSports going for under $30 large that are still in warranty.

:mindblown:

I think there's value in a used cheap as shit 4x4 though. I doubt you'd lose much of anything on these, considering the utter rapeage they went through with C4C, there aren't a shitload of cheap ones available and won't be for some time.
:dat:

C4C completely decimated the cheap 4wd market. :(
Just avoid the ghetto cruisers like the Trailblazers, Exploders, and the like. Get a 4Runner, Cherokee, Xterra, Wrangler, something that's desirable to someone with offroading intentions.... and you'll be good to go.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:20 am
[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:18 am

:dat:

C4C completely decimated the cheap 4wd market. :(
Just avoid the ghetto cruisers like the Trailblazers, Exploders, and the like. Get a 4Runner, Cherokee, Xterra, Wrangler, something that's desirable to someone with offroading intentions.... and you'll be good to go.
Didnt list mountaineer :datass:
Johnny_P

dtraill27 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:34 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:20 am

Its an exploder doe :notsure:

Just about all of the domestic 4x4 SUVs end up as ghetto cruisers. With the exception of some of the Jeep models.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:38 am
dtraill27 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:34 am

Its an exploder doe :notsure:

Just about all of the domestic 4x4 SUVs end up as ghetto cruisers. With the exception of some of the Jeep models.
Exploder with a superior interior
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:12 am I don't understand this thread. Of anyone on the forum, Max is the most vocal about the impending :nuke: of the industry...yet he wants to buy anyway?
:plac: doe. Also I'm only looking at what I think are fully depreciated vehicles. I sold my 03 jgc for $6500 and gas was $4 then. Looks like they are around $5500 for one that is very similar to mine now.

A clean 4x4 will very likely not be under 5k but maybe I'm a delusional derp
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:16 am
:plac: doe. Also I'm only looking at what I think are fully depreciated vehicles. I sold my 03 jgc for $6500 and gas was $4 then. Looks like they are around $5500 for one that is very similar to mine now.

These used values are unsustainable, as we've discussed. Once the flood of off-lease new(er) vehicles come in the next few years, these ancient things will drop considerably. I wouldn't be surprised if things worth buying are under $5k again.

Overall, this strikes me as a bad idea for you in every way.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:36 am
max225 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:16 am

These used values are unsustainable, as we've discussed. Once the flood of off-lease new(er) vehicles come in the next few years, these ancient things will drop considerably. I wouldn't be surprised if things worth buying are under $5k again.

:(
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:41 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:36 am

Sorry to bring the Anti- :plac: but someone has to do it. This is full :derp: breh.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:48 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:43 am
Sorry to bring the Anti- :plac: but someone has to do it. This is full :derp: breh.
:notsure:

A running driving 4x4 in good shape will always be between $5000 and $10000 unless it's 30 years old. Then it might even start to appreciate.

Max, stop beancounting you way through life - a $9000 4Runner may lose about 1-2k of value in the next few years. :aintcare:
Max has been heralding the decimation of the industry by the likes we've never seen before.

I remember buying my XJ in 2011, even after C4C, you could buy NICE ones for $3k-$4k. I bought mine for $1,500 and it was great mechanically. My buddy sold a 2WD 99 4Runner for $4k at the same time that was under 100k miles and flawless and he had to work to sell it.

If the industry :nuke: the way he says it will, these days will return. And that's the time to buy.

But even regardless, I think the poverty is more than he's willing to bear.
max225

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:41 am

Yea. There is truth to this. There are a couple of other considerations. I am pretty much at my lease miles, which means that anything more I'll be paying 17cents a mile. :disgust:
Which also means I can :derp: around town etc but taking it on a 2k mile road trip is out of the question.

I suppose I can use the AZN mk1 Civic for that. There are always options, but it would be nice to have a utilitarian vehicle that I don't care about, that also would be great for road trips.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:14 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:48 am

:notsure:

A running driving 4x4 in good shape will always be between $5000 and $10000 unless it's 30 years old. Then it might even start to appreciate.

Max, stop beancounting you way through life - a $9000 4Runner may lose about 1-2k of value in the next few years. :aintcare:
Max has been heralding the decimation of the industry by the likes we've never seen before.

I remember buying my XJ in 2011, even after C4C, you could buy NICE ones for $3k-$4k. I bought mine for $1,500 and it was great mechanically. My buddy sold a 2WD 99 4Runner for $4k at the same time that was under 100k miles and flawless and he had to work to sell it.

If the industry :nuke: the way he says it will, these days will return. And that's the time to buy.

I think there is going to be a floor. Running working 4x4s will usually be around 4-5k Also there has been a bit of inflation since 2011. Considering what I am seeing in the market now, there is pretty much nothing that isn't owned by creatures from middle earth.

No one speaks english, no one has maintenance records, ppl don't understand maintenance or basic car questions really in that price range. It is frankly :disgust:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:29 pm
Yea. There is truth to this. There are a couple of other considerations. I am pretty much at my lease miles, which means that anything more I'll be paying 17cents a mile. :disgust:
Which also means I can :derp: around town etc but taking it on a 2k mile road trip is out of the question.

I suppose I can use the AZN mk1 Civic for that. There are always options, but it would be nice to have a utilitarian vehicle that I don't care about, that also would be great for road trips.
Old vehicle + road trips is :yikes: to me, at least until it's proven itself for a while. If I were you, I'd much rather take the AZN mobile for such instances. Especially when fuel costs are factored in.

But hitting lease miles is tough. I guess some :math: could be done, but at bare minimum you're looking at a few $k worth of depreciation in any poverty mobile you buy...plus sales tax, insurance, and reg...all down the drain. That's a lot of overage miles at $.17/mile, IMO...in fact assume you lose $2k (depreciation, tax, insurance, etc...conservative) on a poverty mobile...that's 11,765 miles OVER your lease. Both are wasting money, it just depends on how you want to waste it.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:36 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:14 pm

I think there is going to be a floor. Running working 4x4s will usually be around 4-5k Also there has been a bit of inflation since 2011. Considering what I am seeing in the market now, there is pretty much nothing that isn't owned by creatures from middle earth.

No one speaks english, no one has maintenance records, ppl don't understand maintenance or basic car questions really in that price range. It is frankly :disgust:
Right...which is why this is such a terrible idea.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:42 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:36 pm

Ok aside from not having a vehicle as such period. What would be my options then? I thought I found the cheapest/most acceptable one. (A relatively decent 4x4, with no known issues and a solid reliability record)
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:46 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:42 pm
Ok aside from not having a vehicle as such period. What would be my options then? I thought I found the cheapest/most acceptable one. (A relatively decent 4x4, with no known issues and a solid reliability record)
XJ

I don't know enough about the Japanese stuff, admittedly...but none of that was made in the same volume and people in CA are full :triggered: on Jap stuff, which inherently raises the price.

Someone mentioned the Izusu thing that seemed promising, but rarity is your worst nightmare for value.

Though if it were me, I'd be looking at Tahoes/Blazers of the later GMT400 vintage (95-99). The definition of reliable. Cheap parts. Made in solid volume.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:57 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:46 pm

XJ

I don't know enough about the Japanese stuff, admittedly...but none of that was made in the same volume and people in CA are full :triggered: on Jap stuff, which inherently raises the price.

Someone mentioned the Izusu thing that seemed promising, but rarity is your worst nightmare for value.

Though if it were me, I'd be looking at Tahoes/Blazers of the later GMT400 vintage (95-99). The definition of reliable. Cheap parts. Made in solid volume.
Ok. Let me explain my stance on XJs and why I moved past them. I WANTED AN XJ. But finding one has proved impossible.
  • Pre 97 models are pretty damn disgusting. For one they are over 20 years old so you will have "old car" problems more so than with the newer vehicles
    97 models have wiring issues, they went through 3 different wiring harenesses before settling on what that worked.
    99-01 models pop heads
    99-01 models also seem to crack exhaust manifolds.
    This basically leaves me with a 1998 only
The 98 I wanted to look at sold in 2 days that had the front end smashed in and confused owners. For at least 4200
The other 98 with the :manuel: didn't even bother responding to me when I offered more than asking price.

SO.... which brings me to my point they are easily 7-10k for an example with a non retard owner that doesn't look like it was used to transport shelter dogs over the last two decades. That particular vehicle is VERY expensive for what it is.

I find it easier to get to a 4 Runner FOR LESS which has the same following IMO, but is far easier to find. Reliability should be good if some maintenance was done (timing belt).

At the end of the day I have 0 interest in making a trail rig, I want something decently capable off roads, that is reliable and won't leave me stranded. I am not going mudding, I am not interested in 35" tires or 5" lift kits.
ChrisoftheNorth

A 4Runner for less than an XJ is the better buy. But 99 XJ's are fine too. The head issue was isolated to mid-00 to 01 trucks. And even then, at this point they would have all failed. An 00-01 with a replacement head would be a fine vehicle.
max225

Back on track.

There is a local 4 Runner for $5800 with an owner that really doesn't give a fuck about selling it. I asked to see the car over the weekend, he told me he would tell his neighbors to give me the keys, then 3 days later... he just emailed me saying "he is out of state" and would get back to me when he is back next week.
This dude said he bought this thing for his son and himself to go on fishing trips ( :wtf: I didn't know that ppl fish here) and said trips didn't happen.
He claimed to have bought the thing from the original owners.

We shall see where this goes.

AZN 1 is supposed to check the 9k dealer 4 runner out this am.

A cross Tranny is literally the best vehicle for me when it comes to this. However the lease is $300 a month all in+ full coverage insurance etc. It ends up costing more.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:15 pm A 4Runner for less than an XJ is the better buy. But 99 XJ's are fine too. The head issue was isolated to mid-00 to 01 trucks. And even then, at this point they would have all failed. An 00-01 with a replacement head would be a fine vehicle.
I'd take one with a replacement head, but that's a :unicorn: find. They end up getting scrapped at that point. $2500-3000 repair for a :derp: vehicle. Or someone doing it in the their back yard :disgust: :nope:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:27 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:15 pm A 4Runner for less than an XJ is the better buy. But 99 XJ's are fine too. The head issue was isolated to mid-00 to 01 trucks. And even then, at this point they would have all failed. An 00-01 with a replacement head would be a fine vehicle.
I'd take one with a replacement head, but that's a :unicorn: find. They end up getting scrapped at that point. $2500-3000 repair for a :derp: vehicle. Or someone doing it in the their back yard :disgust: :nope:
I'd buy it from someone doing it in their back yard if they're competent...which you can usually tell by talking to someone. Hell, I'd buy one with a blown head and fix it myself if everything else was good. Changing the head on a 4.0 isn't rocket science. Just need to know how to properly use a torque wrench.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:31 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:27 pm

I'd buy it from someone doing it in their back yard if they're competent...which you can usually tell by talking to someone. Hell, I'd buy one with a blown head and fix it myself if everything else was good. Changing the head on a 4.0 isn't rocket science. Just need to know how to properly use a torque wrench.
Have you recently talked to anyone selling a sub 5k vehicle?
I need to make a thread about it. It is simply mind boggling. Those ppl don't seem human to me.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:33 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:31 pm

Have you recently talked to anyone selling a sub 5k vehicle?
I need to make a thread about it. It is simply mind boggling. Those ppl don't seem human to me.
Well, that's why I'm telling you this is a terrible idea, but you don't seem to care so :aintcare:

Buying anything ~$5k is a bad idea. I don't care what the vehicle is.