10th Gen Civic Si(gh) revealed!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

A few random thoughts on this:

People are balking at 205 HP. Yet, with the GTI, I really don't think adding more power would have helped anything. That car already had problems putting that much power down without massive wheel spin, wheel hop, and power-on understeer. FWD has limits, and I think 205 HP is a nice number that isn't overboard. I thought my car was plenty fast even stock. This would be on par with a FiST, maybe a bit faster than that.... and I think that's probably a good place to be.

It's lighter than a GTI. Honda also has a tendency to focus on lightness and crisp controls. The shifters are super precise and feel great. The steering of the last Si was better than a comparable GTI. More exact, less mushy, better feel. The whole car felt better. It just didn't have the power. So if they can make it drive better than a comparable GTI, and therefore be more fun, there's a chance this will fare better than the cars with more power than it. Remember the MK5? It had less power and was not as fast as the competition but it won everyone over with how it drove. I think they could pull this off.

Not sure how I feel about the 1.5L engine. Off boost this is going to be a really disappointing ride. Also disappointed that it won't be a screamer. An 8k redline would have been awesome paired to a turbo.

I think they're morons for not including a type of automatic transmission. The 8DCT absolutely should have been part of this package. They will lose out on sales because of that decision.

Why the hell doesn't this car have a volume knob by now?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I wonder how it's geared. Part of what made the GTI fun was the short gearing.

I personally think 300hp is the max for FWD. Since it has a real LSD, there's more room with the Si, it's just weird that they went with the :jalepenis: engine. I guess to give the R more marketing leverage?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

It's not clear that it's lighter than a GTI.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:56 am It's not clear that it's lighter than a GTI.
:dat:

The gti lost weight while the civic gained this generation.
Wheel hop sucks but sub 250hp it would only happen during a clutch drop or maybe 0-10mph. The rest of the time that 205 hp will just be :jalepenis:
The current gti has literally the most hp you can have fun with in a FWD platform. Anything more you can't really put down and anything less has you left wishing for more
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

This generation is a great improvement in styling....although its a bit overt the top methinks and Iabsolutely hate the taillights....they look like lit up parenthesis :gag:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Wheel hop comes from so much more than just being FWD or some other configuration. My Grand Prix had ~280whp and ~350wtq and didn't wheel hop, ever, but my bone stock GTI wheel hopped all over the place. A friend blew up the transfer case and front diff in his Evo when he launched it and got wheel hop. 04-06 GTOs wheel hop like crazy without help, like drag bags or springs and dampers.

Even wheel hopping all over the place, 200hp wasn't enough for me in the GTI. The 235ish whp or whatever the Uni 1+ tune gets you is bordering on not enough, and with that little 1.5L the new Si is more in line with the FiST than the FoST, GTI, and WRX. I guess it's been the case for several generations now that the Si is down on power relative to its competitors, but that's also left it at the back of the pack in just about every comparison since 2000. More than that, you're not getting 290whp out of that 1.5L with just a tune like you will in the MK7.
max225

Hondas always had terrible torque steer compared to VW.
I had it in a
1997 Civic with 100hp
A 2011 Acura TSX with 200hp
A 2013 Accord V6 with 250hp (And the worst wheel hop known to man)

I am :notsure: if they fixed it finally... but VW was really good about it... My TDI never had any... and I didn't experience any in a mK6 GTI or R and I don't think any in the MK7 with the PP.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:25 pm Hondas always had terrible torque steer compared to VW.
I had it in a
1997 Civic with 100hp
A 2011 Acura TSX with 200hp
A 2013 Accord V6 with 250hp (And the worst wheel hop known to man)

I am :notsure: if they fixed it finally... but VW was really good about it... My TDI never had any... and I didn't experience any in a mK6 GTI or R and I don't think any in the MK7 with the PP.
The torque steer on my My 2004 TL was ridunkulous.....but cool in a "twisted" way.....
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Tarspin wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:07 pm They should have put the 2.0T from the Type R and de-tune it about 50 hp. That way the car would have 30 extra HP over the GTI advertised rating with aftermarket supporting the full R tune. Then this car would be rill.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

razr390 wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:07 pm They should have put the 2.0T from the Type R and de-tune it about 50 hp. That way the car would have 30 extra HP over the GTI advertised rating with aftermarket supporting the full R tune. Then this car would be rill.
:dat: and the shocks added to the front wheels from the Type R that eliminate torque steer and wheel hop. Add that and the car would be on everyone's short list. This looks like a slightly dolled up Civic Sport but in a sedan.
Clownshoobie
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Clownshoe

I see Honda's Front Bumper Cover Design Team has lipped the same crack pipe that BMW's FBCDT has. Note to teams: you can't replace soul with a bedazzled plastic cover.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:09 pm
razr390 wrote:
:dat: and the shocks added to the front wheels from the Type R that eliminate torque steer and wheel hop. Add that and the car would be on everyone's short list. This looks like a slightly dolled up Civic Sport but in a sedan.
At that point who will buy the ARRRRRRRR version. I think the SI is fine. Blah as always. No one buys that car for speed anyways. There are faster cars for the money.
SixSpeeder
Drives: Fiat

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:50 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:09 pm
At that point who will buy the ARRRRRRRR version. I think the SI is fine. Blah as always. No one buys that car for speed anyways. There are faster cars for the money.
The real question is who spends close to $40k on a Honda Civic. :iono:
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:09 pm :dat: and the shocks added to the front wheels from the Type R that eliminate torque steer and wheel hop. Add that and the car would be on everyone's short list. This looks like a slightly dolled up Civic Sport but in a sedan.
It just seems so close to a Sport with a 25hp boost. Is that enough to build up a hype? I thought hype was Honda's main marketing strategy?
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Tarspin wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:03 pm
max225 wrote:
It just seems so close to a Sport with a 25hp boost. Is that enough to build up a hype? I thought hype was Honda's main marketing strategy?
I wish they would have put some small Brembro's on the Si. 205hp, LSD, waxables, in a coupe with a 6MT would be a nice car at $25g's.
troyguitar

Apex wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:06 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:03 pm
I wish they would have put some small Brembro's on the Si. 205hp, LSD, waxables, in a coupe with a 6MT would be a nice car at $25g's.
:butwhy:

You can already get that with 300+ hp in the ecoballz rustang... with factory warrantied tune available:

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-M4
max225

SixSpeeder wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:02 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:50 pm

The real question is who spends close to $40k on a Honda Civic. :iono:
Same person that spends 40k on a golf ?
Focus RS is selling 5k above sticker everywhere with 0 issues.

Plenty of :derp: 's around.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote:
SixSpeeder wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:02 pm The real question is who spends close to $40k on a Honda Civic. :iono:

Can't forget the STI. It's a few k cheaper but also doesn't carry a badge so it must be shit. Some people just don't have their priorities straight.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:19 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:06 pm

You can already get that with 300+ hp in the ecoballz rustang... with factory warrantied tune available:

:iono: I prefer the Si looks over the rustang. If I went rustang it would need dat :dedong: V8.
SixSpeeder
Drives: Fiat

Apex wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:34 pm

If I went rustang it would need dat :dedong: V8.

A flat plane V8. :jimp:
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
troyguitar

SixSpeeder wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:44 pm

If I went rustang it would need dat :dedong: V8.

A flat plane V8. :jimp:
Why stop there? Get a V12. All it takes is money.
max225

:iono: I prefer the Si looks over the rustang. If I went rustang it would need dat :dedong: V8.
:wat: Civic over mustang? What kind of opposite land comment is that.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:32 pm
max225 wrote:

Can't forget the STI. It's a few k cheaper but also doesn't carry a badge so it must be shit. Some people just don't have their priorities straight.
Has nothing to do with "badge" Ford is just sold through all of the GT's that are 300k for a FORD!

I was pointing out that whoever buys a 40k civic is the same person that buys a 40k golf or Focus RS. My whole point was based around the fact that such a person exists.. ie the value the performance upgrades over the basic bitch models.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:32 pm Can't forget the STI. It's a few k cheaper but also doesn't carry a badge so it must be shit. Some people just don't have their priorities straight.
Has nothing to do with "badge" Ford is just sold through all of the GT's that are 300k for a FORD!

I was pointing out that whoever buys a 40k civic is the same person that buys a 40k golf or Focus RS. My whole point was based around the fact that such a person exists.. ie the value the performance upgrades over the basic bitch models.
Makes sense, most of the forum is that type of :derp:

[user not found]: Cooper Works GP
[user not found]: Malibu SS
GBerg: R
JohnnyP: STI
Acid666: Z06
Tarspin: civicR... then refunded... then AARr
Waxer: Zet Ohhhh
Troywax: Z06
NEEK: GTO at one point but the wife and reliability got in the way.
Heck you'll probably trade up to an M/Scat if not some jeep

So yeah, as long as gas is cheap the performance variants are going to get sold. Both VW (with the R) and Honda (TypeR) are planning to build out much higher numbers then ever before. Seems like anything above basic bitch transportation is inching itself into the $30's nowadays.