POLL: Can you "read" music?

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!

Do you pretend to understand sheet music?

Yes, I pretend to "read" sheet music to make you feel dumb.
44%
No, that shit is impossible to understand.
39%
Sheet music is real, man. I also believe in pro wrestling, Santa, and that OJ is innocent.
17%

Total votes: 18
Do Work, Son
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: CX-5

Look, I know this is bullshit:

All those squiggles are just gibberish musicians pretend to understand to make those of us who musically challenged feel dumb. I'm on to you, you people just play along to music being pumped into your ear by tiny earbuds.

In the fifth grade a "music" teacher, who's an active participant in this conspiracy, attempted to teach our class how to read music so we could play recorders. Now I'm a fairly intelligent person but she may as well been trying to teach an 11 year old nuclear physics. I knew right there that purported "sheet music" is just a bunch of nonsense to justify the paycheck of music teachers.

Are you part of this nonsensical little clique?
#AllPostsMatter
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

:lolgasm:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Ah this IS my stop: the tinfoil hat convention!!
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

It's kind of like reading anything else... some is harder to read than others. Sure, I know how. Could I perfectly sight read a complex piece, even on an instrument I'm pretty good at? No.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I can piddle around on guitar, but I learned using tabs. I can't read music.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:12 am It's kind of like reading anything else... some is harder to read than others. Sure, I know how. Could I perfectly sight read a complex piece, even on an instrument I'm pretty good at? No.
Sight reading was always a strong point for me in auditions.
:therapist:
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

I can read beginner high school music for the trumpet and sax, but the more intermediate stuff hell no. I just copied what the genius next to me played. Perfect pitch ftw. I can sing in tune great but I have a horrible voice. :(
ChrisoftheNorth

A few weeks ago, I got black-out drunk at a friend's house and apparently sight read "My Heart Will Go On" from Titanic while a friend played piano. Evidently, it sounded :mindblown: I don't remember this occurring and don't know the song at all. Infamous played me the version by Celine Dion and I had heard it maybe twice before.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Tits and ass to the DFD

my wife can. She is a High School Choral teacher, plays the piano and used to play the trumpet in marching band.
ChrisoftheNorth

datgrundle wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:50 am my wife can. She is a High School Choral teacher, plays the piano and used to play the trumpet in marching band.
:notbad:
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I've been playing for 22 years. I don't fuck with that shit. I don't need it for what I'm doing. If I was doing music for a living I would of put more time into learning to read it. But I don't need that shit. I've got a decent theory background and can honestly say all I really need for what I'm doing is knowing modes and how to interpret what mode/key it's in, and then I can write my lines on top of that.
My 2 guitarists write some really off the wall shit and I refuse to be a death metal bassist that falls into the stigma of "Just do what the guitars are doing but follow the roots", or "a dumbed down guitarist". So I figure out what modes they're in, and do the opposite of what they're doing. If they're doing fast shit, I'll slow it down and be more percussive. If they're doing slow riffs, I'll write some more complicated tapping lines in the same mode as them.

That's how I use it.
If I was doing jazz gigs and all sorts of other elite jamz, I'd say reading is a necessity.

Edit: and on top of that, reading sheet music isn't impossible to understand. The more you do it the better you become at it. But for my music, none of my friends are looking for sheet music to cover this kind of shit.
https://youtu.be/fVCoX7_OaSk?t=13s
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:47 am A few weeks ago, I got black-out drunk at a friend's house and apparently sight read "My Heart Will Go On" from Titanic while a friend played piano. Evidently, it sounded :mindblown: I don't remember this occurring and don't know the song at all. Infamous played me the version by Celine Dion and I had heard it maybe twice before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZEuaXI0fbQ
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:45 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:47 am A few weeks ago, I got black-out drunk at a friend's house and apparently sight read "My Heart Will Go On" from Titanic while a friend played piano. Evidently, it sounded :mindblown: I don't remember this occurring and don't know the song at all. Infamous played me the version by Celine Dion and I had heard it maybe twice before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZEuaXI0fbQ
:notbad:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

I knew how in high school. Was pretty good at a high school level at sight reading while playing cornet. I've forgotten most of it, :doe:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Can read/write it fine, but playing it while reading it is :nope:

I have to go through and memorize it and then use the page as a reminder.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:21 pm Can read/write it fine, but playing it while reading it is :nope:

I have to go through and memorize it and then use the page as a reminder.
:impressive:
Do Work, Son
Drives: CX-5

datgrundle wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:50 am my wife can. She is a High School Choral teacher, plays the piano and used to play the trumpet in marching band.
No, she's just part of the Musical Illuminati Freemasons who pretend it's real.
#AllPostsMatter
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Tits and ass to the DFD

Sanchez wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:59 pm
No, she's just part of the Musical Illuminati Freemasons who pretend it's real.
:dat: ... I think?
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

I can

dis for :mahtroy: @troyguitar

Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Me and :wap: Jamming...

wap

Irish wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:19 pm I can

dis for :mahtroy: @troyguitar

:iswydt:
:lolol:
wap

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:51 pm Nope. I'm musically illiterate.

Also, where is Do Work, Son? :sad:
:dat: :(
wap

Irish wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:23 pm Me and :wap: Jamming...

Shockingly accurate.