Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:56 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:52 pm

The $37-40k models are what make sense to guys like you or me, the extra off roading stuff is pretty meaningless as we'd probably never do anything a Rav4 couldn't do... less than that though, :iono: the manual windows are a tough pill to swallow in a $35k car.

I just then start to think about what else I could get for $40k and the interest in the :jeep: fades.
What else can you get for 40k actually that is comparable?
I kind of need a break from "sporty" driving since I am not appreciating it at the moment anyways. Agreed on the off roading stuff, but the rubi is better looking IMO, and it will have superior resale, you won't lose the 5k upcharge one bit. So it is just money spent up front ... not wasted on things like options.
I think you'd get 90% back on the rubi upcharge 2-5 years from now
But maybe 20-30% on the options...

My whole thing is... 46k rubi vs 40k Sport S I suppose... rubi seems to make more sense... but then since you can actually order the lights (895) + Headliner $495 that creeps to 48k
I agree about nothing else really being comparable. If you're tired of sporty cars for now it isn't a bad bet, I'd just have a hard time spending $40-50k on a "pointless" vehicle. Pointless as in getting a very capable off roader that's capability will never be used. Even if you are interested in heavy duty wheeling, would you really be comfortable doing that in a nearly $50k car? I do love them though, I hope to see you get one.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:06 pm

I kind of need a break from "sporty" driving since I am not appreciating it at the moment anyways. Agreed on the off roading stuff, but the rubi is better looking IMO, and it will have superior resale, you won't lose the 5k upcharge one bit. So it is just money spent up front ... not wasted on things like options.

My whole thing is... 46k rubi vs 40k Sport S I suppose... rubi seems to make more sense... but then since you can actually order the lights (895) + Headliner $495 that creeps to 48k
I agree about nothing else really being comparable. If you're tired of sporty cars for now it isn't a bad bet, I'd just have a hard time spending $40-50k on a "pointless" vehicle. Pointless as in getting a very capable off roader that's capability will never be used. Even if you are interested in heavy duty wheeling, would you really be comfortable doing that in a nearly $50k car? I do love them though, I hope to see you get one.
Nah I'd never use the full capability period, and I won't claim otherwise. I am sure I'll be fine with a regular one but I would prefer the other. Just like I'd be fine with a 320i bmw but I am driving a 335i.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:52 pm

The $37-40k models are what make sense to guys like you or me, the extra off roading stuff is pretty meaningless as we'd probably never do anything a Rav4 couldn't do... less than that though, :iono: the manual windows are a tough pill to swallow in a $35k car.

I just then start to think about what else I could get for $40k and the interest in the :jeep: fades.

4Runner
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:23 pm

4Runner
4 Runner is meh... ancient trans, and not really any savings. Worse interior at this point to a wrangler and no lego/aftermarket status at all.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:53 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:23 pm

4Runner
4 Runner is meh... ancient trans, and not really any savings. Worse interior at this point to a wrangler and no lego/aftermarket status at all.
4R aftermarket is almost as epic as the Jeep's
What are you going to buy aftermarket anyway?

Epic low depreciation. Ancient means literally nothing will break on it. And it's likely same price maybe a few grand less than the Heep while driving better. Top doesn't go down but you're looking at hard tops anyway so IDK if that matters at all.

Interior is maybe same level as a JK, but not as good as new JL.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:11 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:53 pm

Epic low depreciation. Ancient means literally nothing will break on it. And it's likely same price maybe a few grand less than the Heep while driving better. Top doesn't go down but you're looking at hard tops anyway so IDK if that matters at all.
Top is removable, freedom top has removable panels that are easy to take out. I will use that feature for sure.
Low depreciation on 4 runner is only more or less recent because :fullretard: customers, older 4 runners are far less than older Jeeps. So I am using that as an indication.

I am paying over 40k for a vehicle I want some features.... I am not buying that. To me a 4 runner competes with a JKU but not a JLU. And a JKU can be had for less right now...
max225

To answer the aftermarket question. If I get the cheapo model.
1. new lights
2. better stereo option
3. take off wheels.

It is super easy to score 2nd hand new/like new parts on the jeeps for 1/3 of what they are worth because the Jeep bros are :fullretard:
a set of 5 brand new rubicon wheels/tires are $800-900 all day long here.
max225

https://www.southcountychryslerjeepdodg ... 50036e.htm
Purple Rubi with $6500 on the hood. Perfect spec too, no useless nav etc. ~39k after discount with LED headlights. ~comparable JLU is 48k new (pre-discount)... 9k spread MSRP to discount or 4k msrp to msrp. :disgust:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:30 pm https://www.southcountychryslerjeepdodg ... 50036e.htm
Purple Rubi with $6500 on the hood. Perfect spec too, no useless nav etc. ~39k after discount with LED headlights. ~comparable JLU is 48k new (pre-discount)... 9k spread MSRP to discount or 4k msrp to msrp. :disgust:
:doit: looks solid

max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:43 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:30 pm https://www.southcountychryslerjeepdodg ... 50036e.htm

I'd rather that rubi than any new toyota. But yea... I still have time. I imagine the deals on the JKUs will only get sweeter, they will make em until 3/31/18. And they will be at full capacity for the JLU/JL by then... the supply should really catch up.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:46 pm

I'd rather that rubi than any new toyota. But yea... I still have time. I imagine the deals on the JKUs will only get sweeter, they will make em until 3/31/18. And they will be at full capacity for the JLU/JL by then... the supply should really catch up.
But the deals are solid now and this is literally the exact spec you want so why not just go :doit:
Johnny_P

That truck is badass, Max
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:36 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:46 pm
But the deals are solid now and this is literally the exact spec you want so why not just go :doit:
Because I lose nothing by waiting?
1. JLU pricing/availability will solidify
2. I'd be able to actually sit in /drive one by march I hope.
3. JKU pricing will only go down.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:14 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:11 pm

Top is removable, freedom top has removable panels that are easy to take out. I will use that feature for sure.
Low depreciation on 4 runner is only more or less recent because :fullretard: customers, older 4 runners are far less than older Jeeps. So I am using that as an indication.

I am paying over 40k for a vehicle I want some features.... I am not buying that. To me a 4 runner competes with a JKU but not a JLU. And a JKU can be had for less right now...
Freedom top is 5/7. I walked out of work today, saw how nice it was and popped the front half of the top off in under 2 minutes. Can’t hear shit on the stereo when it’s offend you’re cruisig at highway speeds, but it just feels fun.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

I love that purple. It was the one color I considered holding out for instead of doing white like I always do.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:07 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:53 pm

Yep, it has basically been 2-3 minor repairs a year + 1 oil change and 2 maintenance items like tires/brakes or coolant etc. That's like guaranteed. Cars are expensive propositions...

The fact that it is so unbelievably cheap to lease right now is quite impressive. It takes so many headaches out of the equation. Annoying :dillerman: have turned to service departments in order to fleece their "customers" so any car north of 25k miles receives $800-1200 service quotes which are blatant rip offs.
Blatant rip offs?

I wouldn't go that far. Technology is fucking expensive nowadays - turbos and rare earth magnets and electronic tomfoolery costs a pretty penny to replace. It's no longer just nuts and bolts.
Maybe it is a Nazifornia phenomenon, but I don't recall a single time a :dillerman: here provided a reasonable quote.
1. $1400 for 60k service for my stepmoms Q5, $700 of that was sparkplugs which cost me $30+30 min in labor
2. $900 30k mile service for a 30k mile 2013 civic
3. $1200 for a 40k mile service for my then 40k mile TDI.
4. Buddies :doge: ram $500 20k mile service where it was a glorified oil change and tire rotation.
5. $249 for an oil change for my bmw and $199 for brake fluid flush

All across every :dillerman: brand here, expensive and cheap, foreign and domestic.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:23 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:22 pm
Maybe it is a Nazifornia phenomenon, but I don't recall a single time a :dillerman: here provided a reasonable quote.
1. $1400 for 60k service for my stepmoms Q5, $700 of that was sparkplugs which cost me $30+30 min in labor
2. $900 30k mile service for a 30k mile 2013 civic
3. $1200 for a 40k mile service for my then 40k mile TDI.
4. Buddies :doge: ram $500 20k mile service where it was a glorified oil change and tire rotation.
5. $249 for an oil change for my bmw and $199 for brake fluid flush

All across every :dillerman: brand here, expensive and cheap, foreign and domestic.
You also have to realize that not many people are able to or are willing to work on their own vehicles any more.

Additionally, customers want fancy dillerships, and what do you think pays for the organic snacks, free covfefe, free-range fruit, and rare air?

That all has a real cost.
Sure does. I am not going to pay for it doe :aintcare: the blatant fleecing is just hard to justify sometimes. My intern got fucked with $850 on her 30k service on her civic also. :disgust: some ppl just know nothing about cars and really get taken advantage of.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:21 am
max225 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:18 am

Sure does. I am not going to pay for it doe :aintcare: the blatant fleecing is just hard to justify sometimes. My intern got fucked with $850 on her 30k service on her civic also. :disgust: some ppl just know nothing about cars and really get taken advantage of.
Yeah, the sex based fleecing is wrong. :disgust:

I’m all for fixed and clearly posted pricing.
It should be clearly posted and exactly what’s in the manual. But hey .. that wouldn’t be hurting the consumers and :dillerman: gotta eat
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:01 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:36 pm
Wat happens if the only available JKs are Sport models in March? Or shitty colors? Or a spec you don't want? This one has it all and it's a great price. When the JK stock runs out the JK used prices will solidify too. Especially considering how much more expensive the JL is. That's how Jeep keeps resale value so high, they constantly creep price upwards on the Wrangler. Only this time, with the switch to JL, the price jumped a considerable amount.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:49 am
max225 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:01 pm

Wat happens if the only available JKs are Sport models in March? Or shitty colors? Or a spec you don't want? This one has it all and it's a great price. When the JK stock runs out the JK used prices will solidify too. Especially considering how much more expensive the JL is. That's how Jeep keeps resale value so high, they constantly creep price upwards on the Wrangler. Only this time, with the switch to JL, the price jumped a considerable amount.
Jk used is not an option they are more than new. If the prices go UP from that I’ll just buy a new jlu.

There are too many things I don’t like about the jku as I mentioned which is why I went with my bmw instead I wanted to get a jku but I couldn’t get over the brakes, transmission, stereo, lights. And I decided to wait for the JL. Which was somewhat planned from the getgo.

Also Jeep is significantly ramping up the production; they moved they entire Cherokee line to Mexico. They made about 150-250k a year of those. Now they are making JLs exclusively. By June they will transition The JK line to JL scrambler.

Literally they will up the capacity by 70% from 225k units a year to 350k. I doubt there is going to be nothing but upward price pressure.

And yes I spent way too much time researching this bs

Given how greedy companies are I am sure they will try to churn out as many JLs as they possibly can. And why not ?! They will finally get rid of their own production shortage and mint money
Very little incentive not to wait
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:49 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:36 pm Some interesting tidbits...

Base model JLU with HT+Auto as only options is $34,795 that's with crank windows.
Sport S model with HT+Auto + Stereo is around $39,850 that 5k adds Power everything + Alpine stereo
Rubicon model identically equipped is 46k so a Rubi is around 6k more than a sport S, for almost no added equipment that i'd use other than better wheels/tires.
The :scrooge: way to go is still on the base JLU and then start picking up the pieces from others....

This stupid 5 k thing.... totally relevant on the heep.

Base model 35k, base model with some stuff 40, 45k for base rubi, 50k for loaded out. Each 5k gets you extra goodies here and there.... but how does one pick the appropriate trim level... the 35-50k spread is significant. I don't know if the decked out Rubi is worth the 15k over a stripper base model.
Go big or stay home. HardCock or bust.
Brutal...Jeep owner....honesty.....Trail rated :)
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:23 pm

You also have to realize that not many people are able to or are willing to work on their own vehicles any more.

Additionally, customers want fancy dillerships, and what do you think pays for the organic snacks, free covfefe, free-range fruit, and rare air?

That all has a real cost.
It's pretty wild how much of a game changer it is with a lot of cars.

My :poorvette: $350/month real cost or whatever would probably be $550/month if I :dillerman: for anything, but I just spend a few hours a month on it and maintenance has been like $1500 in 3.5 years.

It's game over on anything oldish or somewhat unreliable-ish (European) if you can't do some basics yourself.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:32 pm

It's pretty wild how much of a game changer it is with a lot of cars.

My :poorvette: $350/month real cost or whatever would probably be $550/month if I :dillerman: for anything, but I just spend a few hours a month on it and maintenance has been like $1500 in 3.5 years.

It's game over on anything oldish or somewhat unreliable-ish (European) if you can't do some basics yourself.
Most things that bleed once a month and don’t die don’t have that skill. $350 is with gas, maintenance mods and insurance etc ?
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

That is a buy. Buy it. You wont care about the new one. You will have a new Jeep. It will sell later and probably quicker than you think. Jeep is about to price alot of people out of the market. That will keep the value up. I would not wait. I agree with others who posted - Buy.
max225

https://www.southcountychryslerjeepdodg ... 80e524.htm
31k trailcock with 12k on the hood.... :mindblown: 21k otd or so...

This has the same features as a 50k Wrangayler. :disgust:

https://www.southcountychryslerjeepdodg ... 7799ae.htm
36k new compass for 26k all the features of a 55k Wrangler and then some... :wtf: these are so damn cheap

https://www.southcountychryslerjeepdodg ... 128da6.htm

Cheapest way to wrangler period... 2 door bare bones+AC+Hardtop... 25k OTD... way cheaper than used.