Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:30 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:26 pm

:dat:

I'm quite frankly amazed. I disagree with Detroit that they had to, they could've slightly changed some sheet metal and added the diesel and it still would've sold very well. They legitimately made it better in every imaginable way. Many, many manufacturers could learn from this.

By the way, not all parts bin, multiple videos talk about all of the interior pieces, switches and buttons being unique to the Wrangler, but those parts should be fine.
If you look closely it is all doge switchgear with jeep plastics layered on top. It is very unique in that way. Everything is technically 95% partbin but with a jeep twist. Just like a red iPhone. Yes it normally doesn’t come in that color but the guts are the same
Dem window switches :doe:

But you're right, and I think it's a smart approach. Reliable, known pieces for a car that should be a work horse, but with their own cool style. I love all of the little Jeep easter eggs on the car. The start up screen is :amaze:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:29 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:21 pm
Wild animals don't want to screw with people. That's the funny thing, there's very little benefit to the tent being elevated.

And I'm blown away by the aftermarket. It seems like when you attach something to a vehicle, it increases the MSRP by a factor of 50. Makes no sense, but people are paying it so whatever.
:word:

And as you pointed out, any time you want to leave the campsite, you have to break everything down and pack it up. The Walmart stove/tent/anything can be just left and used again upon return.
Totally, it makes no sense.

We always go places in the truck when camping. I guess if you're overlanding, having everything mounted to the truck makes setup faster, but that's a very limited use case.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:35 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:29 pm

:word:

And as you pointed out, any time you want to leave the campsite, you have to break everything down and pack it up. The Walmart stove/tent/anything can be just left and used again upon return.

We always go places in the truck when camping. I guess if you're overlanding, having everything mounted to the truck makes setup faster, but that's a very limited use case.
I guess but even at your, :sawce: , or my height, setting up a RTT would still be a lot harder than just setting one up grounded to the ground Camry style.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:37 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:35 pm

I guess but even at your, :sawce: , or my height, setting up a RTT would still be a lot harder than just setting one up grounded to the ground Camry style.
Totally! I really don't get the RTT trend at all. Though I can admit that I've never personally set one up. I think the theory is they just unfold and you're done. As oppose to dealing with poles, etc in a grounded tent.

Our grounded tent is a fast setup, doe...we can go from bag to fully setup in under 5 minutes now. We still have to setup the inside, but getting the thing up is no harder than an RTT I imagine.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Interesting take. I've never driven off anywhere when I've been camping. We've either stayed in/around our camp site, or we hiked anywhere we were planning on going from our base camp. Only reason I can think to leave your campsite in your car is if you forgot something essential and need to drive to a town/store..
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:57 am Glowing review from Doug.... the rational part of me is being taken over by :troywax:
Go! Go to the light! Order the red :)
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

SAWCE wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:47 pm Interesting take. I've never driven off anywhere when I've been camping. We've either stayed in/around our camp site, or we hiked anywhere we were planning on going from our base camp. Only reason I can think to leave your campsite in your car is if you forgot something essential and need to drive to a town/store..
Wheelin' doe...
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Melon wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:17 am
Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:41 pm Or maybe don't call the members assholes?

I was pretty pissed when you deleted my posts for being off topic too. Took a few days off. I know i don't mean much to the site (under 4k posts and no expert in any specific avenue), but i enjoy being a part of it. Super cop behavior turns me right off doe. Especially since the whole premise of DFD is "Where off-topic is on-topic, 24/7".

Gonna :scoot: now lolImage
:ohdang:

Full disclosure:

That jeep mods thread was started by Sawce, my attempt was to keep that one thread on topic, because Sawce had other threads derailed days before. That was a one-off on topic deal.

Secondly, I mainly cleaned up shit between Max and i, and other off-topic stuff, you just got caught in the sweep, no hard feelings, again, a one-off type of thing. I guess helping out a friend, keeping one thread on DFD on-topic, makes me a shitty admin, and a "super cop"

As far as Max and I, well that's our own thing.

As a mod you can't do friends favors :gtfo:

:foreveralone:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

dubshow wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:21 pm
Melon wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:17 am

:ohdang:

Full disclosure:

That jeep mods thread was started by Sawce, my attempt was to keep that one thread on topic, because Sawce had other threads derailed days before. That was a one-off on topic deal.

Secondly, I mainly cleaned up shit between Max and i, and other off-topic stuff, you just got caught in the sweep, no hard feelings, again, a one-off type of thing. I guess helping out a friend, keeping one thread on DFD on-topic, makes me a shitty admin, and a "super cop"

As far as Max and I, well that's our own thing.

As a mod you can't do friends favors :gtfo:

:foreveralone:
Just because I never do YOU favors, doesn't mean I don't do friends favors.

You ask for weird shit, like that thing with the hair dryer...

...weird.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:09 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:47 pm Interesting take. I've never driven off anywhere when I've been camping. We've either stayed in/around our camp site, or we hiked anywhere we were planning on going from our base camp. Only reason I can think to leave your campsite in your car is if you forgot something essential and need to drive to a town/store..
Wheelin' doe...

Or for me personally, normally some hiking that requires a drive to the trail head.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:15 pm And we also camp with a Coleman tent we got at Costco a few years ago. It's a bigger one that we can stand up in, but still wasn't more than $150.

Yet an RTT costs 10 times that, and it's way smaller, and always attached to the vehicle.

:butwhy:
ChrisoftheNorth

Wheelin' doe...
Was just going to say this. We often setup "base camp" and then head off wheeling. Or we go out to grab fire wood (don't bring it from home, always buy local). Or when we went to Sequoia a number of years back...we stayed at this awesome rustic campground that had great hiking trails, but we wanted to hike the trail of a hundred giants, which wasn't walking distance so we drove (and wheeled a bit on the way there). Often times, we camp for 3 or 4 days, which means the vehicle will be used at least once for something. That's why I really value being able to separate the vehicle from camp.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:26 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:08 pm

Overall I’m surprised they did as much as they did. They put a level of detail into this thing that puts ICON to shame and they charge 200k for 30 year old FJs.
Kudos to FCA. The jk is nice but half assed in a lot of obvious ways. They shockingly fixed every single gripe with the jk?! Like how often does that happen

I'm quite frankly amazed. I disagree with Detroit that they had to, they could've slightly changed some sheet metal and added the diesel and it still would've sold very well. They legitimately made it better in every imaginable way. Many, many manufacturers could learn from this.

By the way, not all parts bin, multiple videos talk about all of the interior pieces, switches and buttons being unique to the Wrangler, but those parts should be fine.
The HVAC panel has a Jeep icon for the recirc button lol. :impressive:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:29 pm

Wheelin' doe...

Or for me personally, normally some hiking that requires a drive to the trail head.
Exactly. Camp grounds aren't always walking/hiking distance to everything.

There's also the bike/kayak aspect. Many times mountain biking trails don't run through the campground...or a sweet kayak lake/river is a 5 minute drive or something.

Also can't take a kayak with an RTT. Worthless.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:32 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:15 pm And we also camp with a Coleman tent we got at Costco a few years ago. It's a bigger one that we can stand up in, but still wasn't more than $150.

Yet an RTT costs 10 times that, and it's way smaller, and always attached to the vehicle.

:disgust:
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:29 pm

Wheelin' doe...

This
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:34 pm

I'd happily stay there if someone else set it up :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:37 pm
I'd happily stay there if someone else set it up :doe:
It's no longer "camping" but that's another semantics lesson.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

:amazing:
:lolgasm:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I wouldn't Kowalski this setup quite so fast there. You know your woman wants to do this.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:45 pm
I wouldn't Kowalski this setup quite so fast there. You know your woman wants to do this.
What's odd is that she doesn't. We've actually discussed it before. She likes the outdoors and likes "roughing it". This goes against that to her. She said if we're going to stay in something nice, we'll just stay in a damned hotel that's better in every single way.

She's a rare one.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Wheelin' doe...
True.. I haven't really done much camping/wheeling in the Jeep yet, so I may drive around on trips in the future..
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:48 pm

Wheelin' doe...
True.. I haven't really done much camping/wheeling in the Jeep yet, so I may drive around on trips in the future..
:fuckyeah:

I bet you'll really enjoy it.
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

https://jalopnik.com/the-2018-jeep-wran ... 1821160227

The 2018 Jeep Wrangler Didn't Get Soft, It Got Much Better
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Davestr wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:54 pm https://jalopnik.com/the-2018-jeep-wran ... 1821160227

The 2018 Jeep Wrangler Didn't Get Soft, It Got Much Better
Fuel to the fire

:troywax: :troywax: :troywax:
:troywax: :scrooge: :troywax:

:troywax: :rage: :troywax: