Jeeponomics 101: Eternal tirekicking for the gutless Jeep

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:03 pm Also, my Rubicon did a ton of stuff without the lockers engaged. They disengage at 20mph+, which makes them worthless in slippery stuff. Pretty much just rock crawling, and even then open is ample.

I would be more inclined to install an aftermarket lcoker in a poverty sport.
IMO you're better off with the LSD.
BUT, in the 2016s at least, you could get a locker on a non-Rubicon model. The Black Bear package offered this as an option. Looks like it was dropped for 2017.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:15 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:03 pm Also, my Rubicon did a ton of stuff without the lockers engaged. They disengage at 20mph+, which makes them worthless in slippery stuff. Pretty much just rock crawling, and even then open is ample.

BUT, in the 2016s at least, you could get a locker on a non-Rubicon model. The Black Bear package offered this as an option. Looks like it was dropped for 2017.
:disappoint: I thought the Black Bear package was a nice sweet spot for the JK.
Johnny_P

The only combination of the new powertrains and chassis that I'd even come remotely close to trusting is the 8AT and Pentastar combo. The 8AT should have already been put in this damn vehicle by now. The Pentastar is fine. No way in hell am I trusting a brand new FCA turbo engine in the first model year of its design in a brand new chassis built by stoned UAW workers.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:17 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:15 pm

:disappoint: I thought the Black Bear package was a nice sweet spot for the JK.
It was. Gave you a true Rubicon lite for less than the price of the Willys Wheeler W.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Melon wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:02 pm Can I post in here for only being mildy interested?
I know a great online place to buy a jeep
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

dubshow wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:27 pm
Melon wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:02 pm Can I post in here for only being mildy interested?
I know a great online place to buy a jeep
I'll send them an email.

AFoolAndHisMoney@SoonDeparted.Com
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

:notsure:

Who goes over heavy ruts/uneven terrain up a muddy hill at 20 mph+ ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKQdlXvbWSU
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

SixSpeeder wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:27 pm

Wheelspin, breh. Especially in low traction, it's not hard for it to hit 20 and disengage...especially with 4.10's.

Unfortunately, I speak from experience.

If low traction stuff is the game, a limited slip is the name.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

Jeep has too many "special editions" that are basically sticker packages. :disappoint:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:18 pm The only combination of the new powertrains and chassis that I'd even come remotely close to trusting is the 8AT and Pentastar combo. The 8AT should have already been put in this damn vehicle by now. The Pentastar is fine. No way in hell am I trusting a brand new FCA turbo engine in the first model year of its design in a brand new chassis built by stoned UAW workers.
Yea first model year and FCA combo :disgust: :nope:

They fucked up the pentastar at first with 11-12 models getting head replacements. blah blah blah... endless fuck ups pretty much all across. That's what happens when customers are beta testers for the first 2-3 years.

However the late model FCA cars are epic reliable. I would totally trust any 13+JKU to go 300k miles.
ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:39 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:18 pm The only combination of the new powertrains and chassis that I'd even come remotely close to trusting is the 8AT and Pentastar combo. The 8AT should have already been put in this damn vehicle by now. The Pentastar is fine. No way in hell am I trusting a brand new FCA turbo engine in the first model year of its design in a brand new chassis built by stoned UAW workers.
Yea first model year and FCA combo :disgust: :nope:

They fucked up the pentastar at first with 11-12 models getting head replacements. blah blah blah... endless fuck ups pretty much all across. That's what happens when customers are beta testers for the first 2-3 years.

However the late model FCA cars are epic reliable. I would totally trust any 13+JKU to go 300k miles.
:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:37 pm Jeep has too many "special editions" that are basically sticker packages. :disappoint:

:dat: Often ugly ass sticker packages at that.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Apex wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:37 pm Jeep has too many "special editions" that are basically sticker packages. :disappoint:
You don't have to get em... Most are still falling into the 3 main categories...

Sport
Rubicunt
Sahara

Sport is the way to go IMO.
Apex

maxtdi wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:28 pm
You don't have to get em... Most are still falling into the 3 main categories...

Sport
Rubicunt
Sahara

Sport with some armor, tarz, and gears/lockers will go anywhere. Cheaper than a Rubi too.
max225

Apex wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:33 pm
maxtdi wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:28 pm

Sport
Rubicunt
Sahara

Sport with some armor, tarz, and gears/lockers will go anywhere. Cheaper than a Rubi too.
IMO the best "Value" is a sport with a 24S package I believe which adds power shit etc, hard top, + 3.73+LSD
Should be around 35k MSRP for 4 door and 32k for 2 door. Still that is a lot of money for a car that is equipped worse than a 19k civic
ChrisoftheNorth

maxtdi wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:36 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:33 pm

IMO the best "Value" is a sport with a 24S package I believe which adds power shit etc, hard top, + 3.73+LSD
Should be around 35k MSRP for 4 door and 32k for 2 door. Still that is a lot of money for a car that is equipped worse than a 19k civic

Power (windows, locks, cruise), 3.73+LSD is all you need in a Jeep.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:38 pm
maxtdi wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:36 pm

Power windows and locks don't work too well when the doors aren't on doe. :lol:
max225

Apex wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:40 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:38 pm

Power windows and locks don't work too well when the doors aren't on doe. :lol:
Ain't nobody got time fo dat.
SixSpeeder

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:54 am
SixSpeeder wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:27 pm

Wheelspin, breh. Especially in low traction, it's not hard for it to hit 20 and disengage...especially with 4.10's.

I've got a little video for you brometheus brought you by the good folks at GM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdND6o9Vsqo

It pretty clearly shows why a 4x4 with an LSD is inferior to a locker.
Last edited by SixSpeeder on Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

SixSpeeder wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:37 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:54 am

:bruh:

That's not what the JK has. It's an open diff all the time until you engage the lockers electronically. And the electronics disengage them i.e. back to open above 20 mph.
SixSpeeder

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:40 pm
SixSpeeder wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:37 pm

That's not what the JK has. It's an open diff all the time until you engage the lockers electronically. And the electronics disengage them i.e. back to open above 20 mph.
But you are able to lock them when you need, correct? Maybe I'm confused, but it seems like you're arguing that lockers are pointless off road. :doge:
ChrisoftheNorth

SixSpeeder wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:42 pm

But you are able to lock them when you need, correct? Maybe I'm confused, but it seems like you're arguing that lockers are pointless off road. :doge:
No, I'm arguing that their pointless unless rock crawling.

I think the best choice is an LSD in a JK.
ChrisoftheNorth

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:46 pm

And only in the Jeep. If they didn't disengage at 20mph, they'd be 5/7. They're intended only for rock crawling because of heat. The stock lockers are actually kind of weak.
max225

They are pointless for "mudding" or whatever else you were trying to do. The only purpose for front/rear lockers is to crawl at sub 5mph while another dude stands outside and tells you where to go, while you then end up flipping your brand new 40k jeep against a tree and just simply "flip it back around" Because
"its a jeep thing"

https://i.imgur.com/jTriOwS.mp4

SixSpeeder

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:46 pm

And I disagree hardily, I've spent a good amount of time off the pavement in vehicles with LSDs, lockers, e-difs, and plain old open difs, and I've found a lot of merit in a dif that has the ability to lock the wheels together.