Great places to live in the US

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:17 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:16 am Well, for starters, look at this map, and pick a red area

This is a fun map re: outlier counties. Like the two blue counties in North Dakota. I would assume that's tribal land but who knows.
Yes, looking at the big version for instance I was surprised that the MS river delta was so blue across all the sate lines in such a rural area.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:02 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:59 am Oh great now this is getting into a political shit show
🤣🤣🤣 :poop: incoming!

To add to the topic at hand, I used to shit on Wilmington NC, but I have some clients that moved there and after growing up and seeing them develop, I quite like it.

Also, was looking at the RDU area and Chapel Hill seems to me like one of the most walkable and bikable areas of our state. It’s more expensive than Charlotte :doe:

Maybe I’m biased to NC, but I just feel likes it’s the perfect combo to raise a family. It’s not HCOL like the other bigger cities and there’s till plenty of green, access to mountains, ocean, and it’s business friendly for the most part. So you can make a living here. NC public universities are also pretty awesome & there are a ton to choose from depending on your major and speciality. In state tuition at UNC is only like still less than $10k. So if you have kids, theres no lack of options.
NC was always on my radar for those reasons; just not a lot of the kind of work I do in the areas I'd like to live unless you get to the coasts....and that is just a different version of swampy humid - I wanted mountains. And no hurricanes.
D Griff wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:19 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:59 am Oh great now this is getting into a political shit show
I let Brad back in and allow him free speech but occasionally have to flex my privilege when he tries to make nearly every discussion about politics.
obvious :troll: was obvious, and worked.

D Griff wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:01 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:39 am

Absolutely, hence why I said to start there. But it does indicate that you are less likely to be interfered with by the government, and that tax burden will be more reasonable.

There is a long laundry list from both parties.
I can bitch about the Republicunts all day too holmes, pick something :lol:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

D Griff wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:01 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:39 am

Absolutely, hence why I said to start there. But it does indicate that you are less likely to be interfered with by the government, and that tax burden will be more reasonable.
:lolgasm: , the lower tax burden in republican areas is certainly possible, but the government interference argument is a fucking joke. Both sides just pick and choose the freedoms they feel are critical to take away and act accordingly. Your boys and red are anti freedom in MANY categories:

1. Women having the right to control their own body
2. People having the choice to live without a car
3. The freedom to walk, bike, or use transit in their communities
4. Black people being able to move about freely without getting pulled over or shot
5. The big kicker: THE FREEDOM TO CONTINUE HAVING A DEMOCRACY! ( :thankstrump: )

There is a long laundry list from both parties.
:lolol:

What a truly insane, unhinged post.
Melon2.0
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Many Things

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:47 pm I wanted to start this as a separate thread as this topic seems to come up often.

Here is my contribution to it.

Where?
Maui
Why? Great weather, not as busy as Oahu. Natural beauty that is second to none. Laid back people/laid back lifestyle.
Why not? Way too expensive, taxes are too damn high, too many homeless and druggies once you get off the main path.

Where?
East Bay Area California (Where I currently reside)
Why? One of the worlds best climates. In the proper cities, no crime, no homeless. Amazing amounts of nature to enjoy. In 1 day you can go to the desert/mountain/snow/ocean. No other place on the planet has this IMO. Access to any food on this planet, 3 Major international airports within 1 hr drive, major landmarks within 1 hr drive, multiple of the worlds best schools within 1 hr drive.
Why not? Insane politics, $2M + to live in a nice hood, and you essentially have to live in a nice hood or else you're fk'ed. One of the most expensive places to buy homes in the us+highest taxes. Terrible combo.

Where?
West Palm beach Florida
Why? Nice tropical climate, great places to eat, close to miami and quite a few things to do. Clean and relatively safe.
Why not? Insanely overpriced for what it is, flat florida geography will get old.

Where?
Cork Ireland
Why? Some of the nicest people I have ever met, everywhere. Great food. Beautiful country, decent airport that gets you pretty much anywhere in europe. Reasonable prices on food/lodging.
Why not? Gray weather ... can't really make much money compared to how much it costs to live there. Politics are going in the really wrong direction. Driving on the wrong side of the road...
The only one I can comment on is Florida, and the year-round decent weather is lovely.

I'd like to add

Austin, Texas
Why? Tech jobs, excellent food, great culture, liberal enough to have hippie communes, Texas enough to open carry.
Why Not? Cost of living, Heat, ERCOT

Portland, Maine
Why? Beautiful NE city. Portside, if you love the ocean.
Why Not? (I assume, the snow is pretty bad)
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I would live in Portland Maine.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:16 am I would live in Portland Maine.
I love New England and a lot of the small cities would be so awesome... until it's December-March.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Still need to check that out
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

I have minimal east coast experience, but winters seem too harsh for me.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Portland smelled like dead ass fish when I was there, but that was straight up downtown near the port which is an unlikely place to live. One thing of note with those smaller NE cities is a lot of the smaller or locally owned businesses have weird hours or are randomly closed as the owners just operate/ come and go as they please. At least that was my experience is some of the coastal towns outside of Portland.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:29 pm I have minimal east coast experience, but winters seem too harsh for me.
Like Philly and below the winters really aren’t bad. Great Lakes region is also rough for winters. New England is beautiful though and quite unique versus the south and west as it was all built like 100+ years earlier. I’d be a northeasterner if it weren’t for the winters, but I really appreciate outdoor activities year round.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I really liked Chicago but that winter was brutal … I hear the summers can be too
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:04 pm I really liked Chicago but that winter was brutal … I hear the summers can be too
Chicago is great, if you pick the right neighborhood, but yeah, summers can be quite hot and humid. We routinely swing over 100* from winter lows to summer highs. Definitely a 4 season region, lol.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:20 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:48 pm

In the summer, you get to tube on the river, which is awesome! If you want any recommendations for wineries, let me know, we can probably :dock: But I'm going to Turkey from July 20th to August 5th.
Dude, I’m down.

Cale and Dan, road trip? DFD takes on Harper’s Ferry?
Yassss. One winery also serves beers and pretzels. Would it be too much to ask if griff balls brings the gr86, all 3 bros cramped in the car #yolo Those roads are :nice:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:11 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:04 pm I really liked Chicago but that winter was brutal … I hear the summers can be too
Chicago is great, if you pick the right neighborhood, but yeah, summers can be quite hot and humid. We routinely swing over 100* from winter lows to summer highs. Definitely a 4 season region, lol.
I have enjoyed my visits in chiraq's. Last time as just after new years last year, it wasn't as cold as I expected. Then when I was in high school for spring break. It's like New York but way more chill, less noisier and in fact i found the food to be cheaper than dc.

Also my hotel (thats :fancy: ) has a property there so lmk for friends and family discount :wink:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Portland is fucking beautiful and I don't care if it's a small town, if I need my city fix, i'd just go to boston or perhaps new york