Real Estate BITCH thread.

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:54 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:52 pm Asheville seems like it costs a millie for a decent place too...

https://www.redfin.com/NC/Asheville/1-V ... /111277220

This is a double wide disguising as a house for 7 figures. WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK sold for 1/2 the price a year ago
The Trust Funders have landed in Asheville proper. I just like the area.
Make it MAKE SENSE please... I don't understand the current state of affairs when it comes to real estate. It shouldn't cost a lifetime of top tier work ($200k+ a year) to afford an OK house in bum fuck egypt.
Last edited by max225 on Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:52 pm Asheville seems like it costs a millie for a decent place too...

This is a double wide disguising as a house for 7 figures. WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK sold for 1/2 the price a year ago
"Completely remodeled 1960's Mid Century Modern" = Doublewide. This equation deeply angers historical preservationists in this area, who jerk it HARD to spare boxes with little to no insulation originally built for winter use only.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:41 pm Interesting. I have typed up my thoughts about where I WOULD move and the internal server error refuses, fucking REFUSES to allow me to submit it. But I type Fuck Off, I'm good to go.
Find someone on this forum interested in the tech side, I dare you.

:sad:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Dude, fuck Asheville. Prices on everything there are insane and it really isn't anything special. It's not even really in the mountains or in view of any. There are tons of other places in Appalachia that are way better and more affordable.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:58 pm

"Completely remodeled 1960's Mid Century Modern" = Doublewide. This equation deeply angers historical preservationists in this area, who jerk it HARD to spare boxes with little to no insulation originally built for winter use only.
Fire place from the 60s..

Painted shiplap

fan that grandma picked out in 1965

Straight from the sears catalog in 1956
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:01 pm

Dude, fuck Asheville. Prices on everything there are insane and it really isn't anything special. It's not even really in the mountains or in view of any. There are tons of other places in Appalachia that are way better and more affordable.
That's what everybody in North Carolina says.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:41 pm Interesting. I have typed up my thoughts about where I WOULD move and the internal server error refuses, fucking REFUSES to allow me to submit it. But I type Fuck Off, I'm good to go.
Makes sense lol
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

That Asheville house is fucking brutal. One Million Dollars and I have a carport and a brass fireplace insert.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I think FL is kind of fucked, very :popcorn: on what happens with that place over the next couple of decades.

I guess it'll be a good test of whether a place can support a bunch of people living there who don't 'work' there or really add to the GDP in any meaningful way, it's a bunch of rich ass North Easterners and maybe Californians avoiding taxes by pretending to live there or only doing so half the time.

It's sort of a bummer as all of the water and plant/animal life are quite beautiful, but I really don't like the place anymore.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:47 pm
Yea I think there is a character of sorts that triggers something on this forum. Probably some "gift" our prior overlords left us to keep everyone on their toes.

Try to split the post into several sections... I just had to do that in another thread. Love to hear your thoughts on the matter also.
As far as i can tell it has to be some kind of database error, ie when your post is translated to sql there is either a leading space or character that pisses it off an thows the error. Happens most often to me when i try to quote.

An update to the BB software would probably resolve.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:46 pm
4. Knoxville/Asheville (Shout out to Brad)

Knoxville is terribad.
:trollface: :trollface: :trollface:
:trollface: :pouroneout: :trollface:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:05 pm That Asheville house is fucking brutal. One Million Dollars and I have a carport and a brass fireplace insert.
Let me just say I love this new thread. :lol:
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:06 pm I think FL is kind of fucked, very :popcorn: on what happens with that place over the next couple of decades.

I guess it'll be a good test of whether a place can support a bunch of people living there who don't 'work' there or really add to the GDP in any meaningful way, it's a bunch of rich ass North Easterners and maybe Californians avoiding taxes by pretending to live there or only doing so half the time.

It's sort of a bummer as all of the water and plant/animal life are quite beautiful, but I really don't like the place anymore.
I don't know how many "rich ass californians" are still left... most got mandated back into an office setting. Every single top tier tech firm that I am aware of is cracking down HARD on this and or has already called people back 4 days a week
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tar wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:04 pm
Makes sense lol
:dat:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:09 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:06 pm I think FL is kind of fucked, very :popcorn: on what happens with that place over the next couple of decades.

I don't know how many "rich ass californians" are still left... most got mandated back into an office setting. Every single top tier tech firm that I am aware of is cracking down HARD on this and or has already called people back 4 days a week
Maybe so, I'm speculating here. Almost all of the FL people I know are North Easterners who buy homes there to live in for the worst of winter and sit the rest of the time, meanwhile preventing normals from the opportunity of home ownership or even getting a rental unit.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:55 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:54 pm

The Trust Funders have landed in Asheville proper. I just like the area.
Make it MAKE SENSE please... I don't understand the current state of affairs when it comes to real estate. It should cost a lifetime of top tier work to afford an OK house in bum fuck egypt.
Asheville is a hipster patch in a very red state. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting some twenty something eating avocado toast holding his 4th microbrew and getting ready to hop on his $5K mountain bike. It's a cute town......but yeah not 1 Million Dollar shitbox cute.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:08 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:47 pm

Yea I think there is a character of sorts that triggers something on this forum. Probably some "gift" our prior overlords left us to keep everyone on their toes.

Try to split the post into several sections... I just had to do that in another thread. Love to hear your thoughts on the matter also.
As far as i can tell it has to be some kind of database error, ie when your post is translated to sql there is either a leading space or character that pisses it off an thows the error. Happens most often to me when i try to quote.

An update to the BB software would probably resolve.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:46 pm

Knoxville is terribad.
:trollface: :pouroneout: :trollface:
I'll see if I can figure out updating, can't be hard. I'll look tonight.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:16 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:55 pm

Make it MAKE SENSE please... I don't understand the current state of affairs when it comes to real estate. It should cost a lifetime of top tier work to afford an OK house in bum fuck egypt.
Asheville is a hipster patch in a very red state. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting some twenty something eating avocado toast holding his 4th microbrew and getting ready to hop on his $5K mountain bike. It's a cute town......but yeah not 1 Million Dollar shitbox cute.
Hey I'm a geriatric :millennial: and can relate to this other than age and I still don't like Asheville. It's just not great. Multiple freeways run right through the middle of it. Zero views of mountains anywhere in DT Asheville. A beer or coffee is $10 and a meal at a restaurant is $30 without tips/drinks. Traffic/road construction are brutal. It's just a straight :nope: So much goodness within 50 miles in any direction though.

The vitriol for this house is absolutely :amazing:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Also, NC isn't really a red state at all, as purple as they come.

It's a place where your votes on a national/state level actually count if that matters to anyone.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

D Griff wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:21 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:16 pm

Hey I'm a geriatric :millennial: and can relate to this other than age and I still don't like Asheville. It's just not great. Multiple freeways run right through the middle of it. Zero views of mountains anywhere in DT Asheville. A beer or coffee is $10 and a meal at a restaurant is $30 without tips/drinks. Traffic/road construction are brutal. It's just a straight :nope: So much goodness within 50 miles in any direction though.

The vitriol for this house is absolutely :amazing:
Asheville's quality of life for the money might be the worst in the state! Every small town around Asheville is significantly more fun and cheaper.
max225

Here is an unpopular opinion... also DANGER ZONE WILD CARD HOUSE

I used to really like this area... because IMO it has the worlds best weather (About 20F cooler in the summer) on average from where I live, even though it's only 20 min away... Average summer high 79... average winter low 50... you're within 30 degrees YEAR AROUND.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Oakland/6451- ... ome/614379

I present OAKLAND HILLS, California...

There has been 0 appreciation since 2015 or so.... house prices are about 1/2>1/3 of else where in the PAY AREA FOR WHAT YOU GET... the schools are actually GOOD.
The views are great...

But you have to deal with cultural enrichment on the regular. Raiding parties have been going out and burglarizing the residents... on the regular... cops don't pick up the phone (although I hear they actually do for the hills, as they pay 90% of the cities prop taxes).

+ You have higher prop taxes... closer to 2%.

I think it still presents an interesting opportunity... access to Americas highest paid jobs... 3 major airports within 40 min drive... best climate in the world... and you get to experience quite a bit of culture...
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Oaktown Baby
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:33 pmOaktown Baby
You get to live in california on a midwest budget... with a small catch.
max225

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Oakland/6076- ... me/2029997

Under 7 figures for a pretty nice place.

Sold in 2003 for 626k... barely keeping up with inflation.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:28 pm Here is an unpopular opinion... also DANGER ZONE WILD CARD HOUSE

I used to really like this area... because IMO it has the worlds best weather (About 20F cooler in the summer) on average from where I live, even though it's only 20 min away... Average summer high 79... average winter low 50... you're within 30 degrees YEAR AROUND.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Oakland/6451- ... ome/614379

I present OAKLAND HILLS, California...

There has been 0 appreciation since 2015 or so.... house prices are about 1/2>1/3 of else where in the PAY AREA FOR WHAT YOU GET... the schools are actually GOOD.
The views are great...

But you have to deal with cultural enrichment on the regular. Raiding parties have been going out and burglarizing the residents... on the regular... cops don't pick up the phone (although I hear they actually do for the hills, as they pay 90% of the cities prop taxes).

+ You have higher prop taxes... closer to 2%.

I think it still presents an interesting opportunity... access to Americas highest paid jobs... 3 major airports within 40 min drive... best climate in the world... and you get to experience quite a bit of culture...
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:46 pm 1. Fort Collins, CO
2. Durango, CO.
3. Tuscon, AZ

Tuscon is too hot for most, but it is quite affordable and its just a nice town. Fort Collins is home to CSU, Tuscon has UA, Knoxville has UT, Durango has Fort Lewis College, a 4 year school.
We were between Ft. Collins and here since I had offices available in both areas. Glad we ended up here, but I’d still consider that area down the road.

It is nice that we are full remote now and can move pretty much anywhere. If shit ever hits the fan we can pack up and haul ass to somewhere else without having to consider job changes, which is a very nice luxury to have.