SawceHaus

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

The lighted stairs are super nice! What are you going to do for a ground cover? I imagine those areas may be too shaded by the houses for grass? Maybe OR grass is different.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:00 pm The lighted stairs are super nice! What are you going to do for a ground cover? I imagine those areas may be too shaded by the houses for grass? Maybe OR grass is different.
Thanks dude, very stoked with how the lighting turned out.

On the right side of the house when facing from the street (west side) we’re planning on grass. I’ll have to research what kinds are shade tolerant and we’ll go with that. Tall fescue seems to fit the bill and can be had for fairly cheap up here from a sod farm. We’ll extend that into the backyard a bit as well. For the left, east, side we’re going to put in some planter boxes since there isn’t as much open space.. probably gravel or pavers around the boxes, but maybe mulch.. we’ll see how different things look when we get there. We’d like to plant some privacy trees along the perimeter of the yard, but I’m not sure how we’ll incorporate that.. we may end up only doing those along the back border so we have some privacy from the house that is behind/above us.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:46 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:00 pm The lighted stairs are super nice! What are you going to do for a ground cover? I imagine those areas may be too shaded by the houses for grass? Maybe OR grass is different.

On the right side of the house when facing from the street (west side) we’re planning on grass. I’ll have to research what kinds are shade tolerant and we’ll go with that. Tall fescue seems to fit the bill and can be had for fairly cheap up here from a sod farm. We’ll extend that into the backyard a bit as well. For the left, east, side we’re going to put in some planter boxes since there isn’t as much open space.. probably gravel or pavers around the boxes, but maybe mulch.. we’ll see how different things look when we get there. We’d like to plant some privacy trees along the perimeter of the yard, but I’m not sure how we’ll incorporate that.. we may end up only doing those along the back border so we have some privacy from the house that is behind/above us.
:nice:

I have been really stoked on the trees I planned, such a fun thing for me, can’t wait to see a like growth, it’s like a race between the different types.

Hopefully the grass works out, I’m sure it’s different strains up there. No grass barrier really grows well in the Carolina Piedmont. Fescue dies in the summer and requires a ton of watering, Zoysia and other hot weather grasses are brown fall-early spring. Big pain in my ass, I wish Allison would go for 100% mulched/a bunch of shrubs and other plants, maybe some juniper ground cover.
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:44 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:46 pm

I have been really stoked on the trees I planned, such a fun thing for me, can’t wait to see a like growth, it’s like a race between the different types.

Hopefully the grass works out, I’m sure it’s different strains up there. No grass barrier really grows well in the Carolina Piedmont. Fescue dies in the summer and requires a ton of watering, Zoysia and other hot weather grasses are brown fall-early spring. Big pain in my ass, I wish Allison would go for 100% mulched/a bunch of shrubs and other plants, maybe some juniper ground cover.
Yeah we have one tree in our front yard and can already see that it’s grown a decent amount in the ~9 months we’ve been here. Really looking forward to getting stuff planted in the back and watching it grow and transform over the years. Eventually we’ll have a really nice yard, just need to fast forward like 10 years :lol:
SAWCE

Walls in the back are finally done after two months of them not being able to work with the weather..

Far right/east corner I’ll build a fire pit with some of the leftover materials from the walls. Needs some finishing touches a few places like filling in behind that furthest back wall with dirt where they dug out in our neighbors yard, and then later in the spring we’ll build a fence around the property and then slowly start getting sod and plants in where we want them.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

That looks so :tits:
What's your plan for all the muddy areas?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
SAWCE

wap wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:48 pm That looks so :tits:
What's your plan for all the muddy areas?
A combination of sod, mulch, plants, pavers, trigger rock, etc.. between the deck and that retaining wall where you can see all the mud probably pavers.. eventually we’d like to run the deck out the full width of the house which would cover more of that area to the east. Then most of the rest will be sod.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

If you do pavers, just be sure you do a proper substrate underneath so they stay flat and level over the long haul.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:06 pm Walls in the back are finally done after two months of them not being able to work with the weather..

Far right/east corner I’ll build a fire pit with some of the leftover materials from the walls. Needs some finishing touches a few places like filling in behind that furthest back wall with dirt where they dug out in our neighbors yard, and then later in the spring we’ll build a fence around the property and then slowly start getting sod and plants in where we want them.

looks good mang.

Why are there steps to nowhere?
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
SAWCE

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:12 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:06 pm Walls in the back are finally done after two months of them not being able to work with the weather..

looks good mang.

There was supposed to be a landing up there and that back wall we thought would be further back based on where we were told the property line was. But then we discovered it was several feet closer to us, so that wall had to be moved in towards the house. Stairs were already done, so we said fuck it just leave them and build the wall where you need to to keep it on our side of the property line and still give us room to build a fence behind it. Kinda bummed about that; but oh well.
SAWCE

wap wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:46 pm :nice:
If you do pavers, just be sure you do a proper substrate underneath so they stay flat and level over the long haul.
Definitely!
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:22 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:12 pm

looks good mang.

There was supposed to be a landing up there and that back wall we thought would be further back based on where we were told the property line was. But then we discovered it was several feet closer to us, so that wall had to be moved in towards the house. Stairs were already done, so we said fuck it just leave them and build the wall where you need to to keep it on our side of the property line and still give us room to build a fence behind it. Kinda bummed about that; but oh well.
got it. still looks nice, and they will make for decent access to back of flower beds, and stairs are almost always decent impromptu seats.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

I love a good retaining wall. The lights are a nice touch on those steps
SAWCE

golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:44 am
SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:22 pm

got it. still looks nice, and they will make for decent access to back of flower beds, and stairs are almost always decent impromptu seats.
Definitely. Steps up to the flower beds were what we wanted them for, so we still get that, just with the awkward look of them running straight up to the wall behind them. Oh well.
SAWCE

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:03 am

I love a good retaining wall. The lights are a nice touch on those steps
Thanks dude! Glad we decided to spend the extra on the lights for sure!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

The lights are def classy. I assumed steps were to access the raised beds before the convo so I feel like they still make sense/are useful.

I'm certainly no expert but one thing I've been learning as you think about planting shit in these areas, try to get plants that will soak up water and prevent erosion. Maybe grass can do this in your part of the world, grass here is kind of shit because no varieties are native and it's tough to grow. Other ground coverings, trees, etc. will absorb water, prevent flooding, mud pits, all that shit.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

D Griff wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:58 am The lights are def classy. I assumed steps were to access the raised beds before the convo so I feel like they still make sense/are useful.

I'm certainly no expert but one thing I've been learning as you think about planting shit in these areas, try to get plants that will soak up water and prevent erosion. Maybe grass can do this in your part of the world, grass here is kind of shit because no varieties are native and it's tough to grow. Other ground coverings, trees, etc. will absorb water, prevent flooding, mud pits, all that shit.
That’s why I have all those cast irons along my driveway. They soak up water like no one’s business!
SAWCE

Nursery is coming together. Refinished a FB Marketplace dresser last week and got it set up in there yesterday. Finished the peel and stick wall paper on the opposite wall, and then put together another FBM found crib today.

Just ordered a rug for in there since Ruggable is having a sale. I think a rug on top of carpet is :fullretard: but, :tits: wants it and made a good point that a washable rug will be much easier to clean when the little one inevitably shits/pisses/pukes on the floor at some point.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:47 pm Nursery is coming together. Refinished a FB Marketplace dresser last week and got it set up in there yesterday. Finished the peel and stick wall paper on the opposite wall, and then put together another FBM found crib today.

Just ordered a rug for in there since Ruggable is having a sale. I think a rug on top of carpet is :fullretard: but, :tits: wants it and made a good point that a washable rug will be much easier to clean when the little one inevitably shits/pisses/pukes on the floor at some point.
Naw man I'm sure your baby will practically be hypo allergenic
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:10 am
SAWCE wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:47 pm Nursery is coming together. Refinished a FB Marketplace dresser last week and got it set up in there yesterday. Finished the peel and stick wall paper on the opposite wall, and then put together another FBM found crib today.

Naw man I'm sure your baby will practically be hypo allergenic
Putting that bish in a bubble.