SawceHaus

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

SAWCE wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:16 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:54 pm

Peasant. They are moving 86" TVs out of Costco for $1200 or some such. 65 inch Samsungs are 500 bucks.
Haha we may go up to 75”. I don’t watch tv/movies enough to justify going bigger than that. $1200 is wild for that size though. I bought my first 40” Vizio for like $1600 12-13ish years ago.
get a tv that fits the room first and foremost. You dont want to look poor with an 85" unit that swallows the space.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:57 pm Also, your location still says San Diego. Come on bro.
Fixed.
SAWCE

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:24 pm

Haha we may go up to 75”. I don’t watch tv/movies enough to justify going bigger than that. $1200 is wild for that size though. I bought my first 40” Vizio for like $1600 12-13ish years ago.
get a tv that fits the room first and foremost. You dont want to look poor with an 85" unit that swallows the space.
:word: 85” would be huge above that mantle. I don’t see going over 75”. 65” - 75” is plenty for us.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

#TVTooHigh!

Looks good. I'm just a stickler for TV height. Doesn't it feel like you're staring upwards?
SAWCE

MrH42 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:19 pm #TVTooHigh!

Looks good. I'm just a stickler for TV height. Doesn't it feel like you're staring upwards?
Never saw this… so we mounted a little high in anticipation of going with a bigger TV at some point so that we wouldn’t have to raise the mount if the larger TV wouldn’t fit above the mantle..

I don’t spend too much time watching it, but Michelle says she’s comfortable with it at that height.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

There's a whole subreddit about TVs mounted too high in houses. They're really sticklers for it.

There is a mount when you can swing the tv down in front of the fireplace for viewing. Some of there use that if they can't avoid the tv above the fireplace. That was a very hot point of contention when buying a house with :tits: in 2021.
SAWCE

MrH42 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:40 am There's a whole subreddit about TVs mounted too high in houses. They're really sticklers for it.

There is a mount when you can swing the tv down in front of the fireplace for viewing. Some of there use that if they can't avoid the tv above the fireplace. That was a very hot point of contention when buying a house with :tits: in 2021.
:ohdang: I sat and looked at the TV for a few minutes last night after my post and didn’t feel uncomfortable at all, but I’ll have to put on a movie and see how it feels with a prolonged watch. Maybe we’ll end up pulling it down a few inches when we do get a bigger TV
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

SAWCE wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:10 am
MrH42 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:40 am There's a whole subreddit about TVs mounted too high in houses. They're really sticklers for it.

:ohdang: I sat and looked at the TV for a few minutes last night after my post and didn’t feel uncomfortable at all, but I’ll have to put on a movie and see how it feels with a prolonged watch. Maybe we’ll end up pulling it down a few inches when we do get a bigger TV
If you don't watch a ton of TV, it's probably not a big deal. But if you binge watch movies or football or something, might be worth investing in a pull down mount.
SAWCE

MrH42 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:16 am
SAWCE wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:10 am

If you don't watch a ton of TV, it's probably not a big deal. But if you binge watch movies or football or something, might be worth investing in a pull down mount.
Yeah I probably actively watch less than 3 hours a week, but Michelle watches quite a bit so I’ll get her input and adjust based on that if needed :like:
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

We had ours up high in KY because the mount was already on the wall there. It was kind of nice in a recliner with the screen tilted down, like being in a theater.
SAWCE

Valkyrie wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:36 am We had ours up high in KY because the mount was already on the wall there. It was kind of nice in a recliner with the screen tilted down, like being in a theater.
Yeah a tilt mount like that may be the way to go.0
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

I also generally hate tv over fireplace, but thats the setup we have now and it works. In some spaces its ok, like we have a lowish fireplace.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Less than ideal flatscreen placement is most def a first world problem.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:41 am Less than ideal flatscreen placement is most def a first world problem.
:dat:

I’ve literally never given this as much thought as it’s getting now :lol:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:54 pm

Peasant. They are moving 86" TVs out of Costco for $1200 or some such. 65 inch Samsungs are 500 bucks.
I'd pass on those cheap big TVs. My 75" was $800 and its so frustrating to use. It's laggy, freezes, sometimes doesn't load icons, will shut itself off when fast forwarding "live" TV occasionally etc. Definitely spring for a higher end model and it'll have more staying power.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

I like having an actual PC connected to the TV vs using any kind of built-in "smart" stuff, but I'm a nerd. Last year I finally updated it from a full-sized desktop PC to one of these little guys:

https://www.amazon.com/Beelink-MINIS-12 ... =8-21&th=1

Works great.
SAWCE

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:29 pm

I'd pass on those cheap big TVs. My 75" was $800 and its so frustrating to use. It's laggy, freezes, sometimes doesn't load icons, will shut itself off when fast forwarding "live" TV occasionally etc. Definitely spring for a higher end model and it'll have more staying power.
Dang.. my 50” was a target Black Friday special like 7 years ago for $300. Works great still with all the apps and everything.

I was casually shopping TVs after Dirk mentioned the big ones for cheap at Costco though, and it would be cool to spring for an OLED next for those super black blacks.
SAWCE

Valkyrie wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:03 pm I like having an actual PC connected to the TV vs using any kind of built-in "smart" stuff, but I'm a nerd. Last year I finally updated it from a full-sized desktop PC to one of these little guys:

Works great.
I wouldn’t mind skipping the smart tv apps and doing something like that or an Apple TV
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:33 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:29 pm

Dang.. my 50” was a target Black Friday special like 7 years ago for $300. Works great still with all the apps and everything.

I was casually shopping TVs after Dirk mentioned the big ones for cheap at Costco though, and it would be cool to spring for an OLED next for those super black blacks.
Definitely read into real world reviews of OLED. Your room looks very bright and OLED tvs sacrifice overall brightness for color reproduction.
SAWCE

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:49 pm

Definitely read into real world reviews of OLED. Your room looks very bright and OLED tvs sacrifice overall brightness for color reproduction.
Definitely bright for now, but only because we don’t have blinds/curtains up yet. Blinds are finally on order from Home Depot and when I get home from California we’re gonna get some curtain rods and curtains to hang up as well.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Noice. New TVs are such a joy.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Valkyrie wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:03 pm I like having an actual PC connected to the TV vs using any kind of built-in "smart" stuff, but I'm a nerd. Last year I finally updated it from a full-sized desktop PC to one of these little guys:

Works great.
I wouldn’t mind skipping the smart tv apps and doing something like that or an Apple TV
Yep, I'm using Apple TVs throughout the whole house. It's nice to have a consistent experience across the house. All apps work on it, you can screen mirror from a macbook or ipad, and all apps seem to work on it.
SAWCE

MrH42 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:43 am

Yep, I'm using Apple TVs throughout the whole house. It's nice to have a consistent experience across the house. All apps work on it, you can screen mirror from a macbook or ipad, and all apps seem to work on it.
Sweet! The mirroring would be cool for sure for the rare occasion I want to be able to do that.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

SAWCE wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:58 pm
MrH42 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:43 am

Sweet! The mirroring would be cool for sure for the rare occasion I want to be able to do that.
It's mostly used for "hey, check out this ugly house I found on Zillow"
SAWCE

MrH42 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:02 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:58 pm

It's mostly used for "hey, check out this ugly house I found on Zillow"
:lolol: love it.