SawceHaus

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Quote not working..

Water damage is covered, but a natural disaster flood is not covered. Not something we’re terribly worried about as we’re up in the mountains. Will have to ask about the retaining walls and fence. Good call on that.

Close/move in date is slated for 2/8 and all seems to be on track for that.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:17 pm Quote not working..

Water damage is covered, but a natural disaster flood is not covered. Not something we’re terribly worried about as we’re up in the mountains. Will have to ask about the retaining walls and fence. Good call on that.

Close/move in date is slated for 2/8 and all seems to be on track for that.
That's fast, you guys will hopefully be able to celebrate Valentine's Day in your new digs!
There's a lot to tackle, hope its not overly stressful for you guys.

It's not so much flooding as water run off, likely the retaining walls that would get messed up
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:16 pm
Valkyrie wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:24 pm It's a combo of storms and shitty state laws allowing people to sue the hell out of insurance companies and win for the most dubious of claims, making the cost of doing insurance business crazy. Most companies have stopped bothering to operate here anymore, it's one thing that I didn't know about until after moving.
I would look at it as insuring yourself against wanting to commit seppuku in Corning New York.
:notwrong:

I don't live here because it's cheap. That was Kentucky.
SAWCE

Inspection went well this morning. No major finds, a few small ticket items for them to take care of. Walk-through with the builder tomorrow and the appraisal happens tomorrow too.

Been watching interest rates. When we got our pre approval 6.375% on 1/5 the national average was 6.5%. That’s down to 6.09% now, so hoping we can lock at 6% or just below.
SAWCE

Appraisal completed and we’re good there. Appraised value was $566k, so coming in with a bit of equity.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:31 pm Appraisal completed and we’re good there. Appraised value was $566k, so coming in with a bit of equity.
well thats a huge win!

If you can after you close turn that around and do a HELOC esp if doing 20% down. Don't use it; think of it like an emergency credit card with a low(er) interest rate.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:11 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:31 pm Appraisal completed and we’re good there. Appraised value was $566k, so coming in with a bit of equity.
well thats a huge win!

If you can after you close turn that around and do a HELOC esp if doing 20% down. Don't use it; think of it like an emergency credit card with a low(er) interest rate.
We should have done this when rates were still low. Don't need it, but would have been nice to have as an option.
SAWCE

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:11 pm
well thats a huge win!

:notbad: thanks for the idea dude.
SAWCE

Rate locked at 6.25%. Not as big a drop as we were hoping for, but still shaves a bit off our mortgage.

What kinds of smart thermostats are you guys using? Our utility company offers some nice rebates on the basic bitch Nest (without the learning function) and brings the price down to $25. Same price for what looks to be a slightly better Ecobee model that does have the learning function. Or for $99 can do the learning version of the Nest or the same Ecobee but with some additional temp senses to place in other rooms and help control the temps where you want them.

Nest makes a camera doorbell as well and a smart lock deadbolt, so thinking about going all in on their eco system. But would love to hear first hand reviews/experiences with other brands if you guys have them.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:18 am Rate locked at 6.25%. Not as big a drop as we were hoping for, but still shaves a bit off our mortgage.

What kinds of smart thermostats are you guys using? Our utility company offers some nice rebates on the basic bitch Nest (without the learning function) and brings the price down to $25. Same price for what looks to be a slightly better Ecobee model that does have the learning function. Or for $99 can do the learning version of the Nest or the same Ecobee but with some additional temp senses to place in other rooms and help control the temps where you want them.

Nest makes a camera doorbell as well and a smart lock deadbolt, so thinking about going all in on their eco system. But would love to hear first hand reviews/experiences with other brands if you guys have them.
No experience with the nest, but i have the eco bee and I like it.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
SAWCE

golftdibrad1 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:27 am
SAWCE wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:18 am Rate locked at 6.25%. Not as big a drop as we were hoping for, but still shaves a bit off our mortgage.

No experience with the nest, but i have the eco bee and I like it.
Sweet. I had a Nest in an apartment in SD. It was fine. I like the look of the ecobee better myself.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Catching up here, 5/7 progress dude! Outstanding work, I think this is a killer haus.

I'm heavily into Nest products. Got a Nest video doorbell, nest smoke/CO detectors, learning t-stat, and a basic bitch t-stat on the stove downstairs. Utility company gave me the t-stats for free.99 during black friday sales, so just keep an eye out for those.

Overall, I'm a fan of Nest. It "just works" and has been perfectly reliable. You have to be into the Google Home ecosystem, which some may not like if you're into Alexa or whatever, but it's been a-ok for me.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Oh, and I use google/nest Wifi routers. The mesh networking is solid, I now have them hardwired ethernet over coax and they've been REALLY solid since then.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

Sweet! Thanks for the input Chris! Free.99 would be awesome for the thermostats, but even $25 for the basic bitch non-learning one is nothing. We’ll run the one they installed for a while and then see if we feel like holding out for a possible BF sale later this year or just drop the $25 as we’re getting into summer and actually start using the HVAC system more.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Yo B that place is dope. New construction life is going to spoil y'all but you earned it.
SAWCE

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:36 pm Yo B that place is dope. New construction life is going to spoil y'all but you earned it.
Thanks dude! Legit never thought we’d be getting into new construction, but I’m super :excited: for it.

And now we have plenty of space if any of you hoodrats wants to come hang in the PNW.
SAWCE

Plugging right along. Loan was conditionally approved yesterday; Bank just wanted one more document since I “work” in Seattle but am buying in OR.

Got all utilities scheduled to be turned on in my name for the 8th. Wild that it’s only two weeks away. Apparently we pay in our bi-monthly water bill for police/fire services.. never seen that before.
SAWCE

Just looked it up. Normally $7.50/month, but currently on a temporary increase to $15/month, for police, fire, and parks. 95% goes to poooce and fire, the rest goes to the parks.
SAWCE

Went to the title company today and signed all the final docs for the house. Had a final walkthrough with the builder’s PM after that. Was a little :flaccid: to see how much they have left to do between today and tomorrow. Will be annoying if some things have to be taken care of after we move in. She sounded optimistic about everything being finished by the time the keys are turned over to us tomorrow. Said she’ll be the last person in the house after the cleaners go through the whole thing and she’ll change our air filters and swap out the locks/keys and then it’s ours.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:56 pm Went to the title company today and signed all the final docs for the house. Had a final walkthrough with the builder’s PM after that. Was a little :flaccid: to see how much they have left to do between today and tomorrow. Will be annoying if some things have to be taken care of after we move in. She sounded optimistic about everything being finished by the time the keys are turned over to us tomorrow. Said she’ll be the last person in the house after the cleaners go through the whole thing and she’ll change our air filters and swap out the locks/keys and then it’s ours.
:excited:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:56 pm Went to the title company today and signed all the final docs for the house. Had a final walkthrough with the builder’s PM after that. Was a little :flaccid: to see how much they have left to do between today and tomorrow. Will be annoying if some things have to be taken care of after we move in. She sounded optimistic about everything being finished by the time the keys are turned over to us tomorrow. Said she’ll be the last person in the house after the cleaners go through the whole thing and she’ll change our air filters and swap out the locks/keys and then it’s ours.
Good times in the new digs! Hope it's a great day for you and Michelle! Congrats and cheers!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Exciting!
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:dat: , I was elated on day one in my first home, :sawce: is probably Christening a room or two :lolol:
SAWCE

Tar wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:29 pm :dat: , I was elated on day one in my first home, :sawce: is probably Christening a room or two :lolol:
Hahaha took care of that last night. Air mattress :dock: is extra… bouncy.

We finally got over to the house last night about 8:00, unpacked a few small things, then hopped in the bathtub, lit up a joint, and split a pizza. Smoking while soaking in a warm tub is 5/7.

Moved a few other things over today, will do a few more small loads tomorrow, then Saturday we’ll grab a uhaul and bring the rest over in one trip. The garage floor is being epoxied right now, so we’ll have to park outside for a week while that finished curing, but glad we scheduled it for day one and don’t have to worry about pulling shit out of the garage to do it later on.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:13 pm
Tar wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:29 pm :dat: , I was elated on day one in my first home, :sawce: is probably Christening a room or two :lolol:
Hahaha took care of that last night. Air mattress :dock: is extra… bouncy.

We finally got over to the house last night about 8:00, unpacked a few small things, then hopped in the bathtub, lit up a joint, and split a pizza. Smoking while soaking in a warm tub is 5/7.

Moved a few other things over today, will do a few more small loads tomorrow, then Saturday we’ll grab a uhaul and bring the rest over in one trip. The garage floor is being epoxied right now, so we’ll have to park outside for a week while that finished curing, but glad we scheduled it for day one and don’t have to worry about pulling shit out of the garage to do it later on.
That sounds stellar! I gotta do a scarface style joint + tub event someday, sounds 5/7.. also :jelly: of that epoxy job. I'll do mine some day but I'm passed the point where I can squeeze it in before a kitchen update, so it'll be a while.