Griff's UT Rental Car Saga

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:24 am
ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:55 am
The people we know are straight up obese, probably bordering on morbidly so. Cruise life makes sense for them, but still can't for the life of me understand how they afford it.
Not owning a house would free up a shit ton of money. I hate owning real estate.
That's assuming you had it. These people are way in the red with no savings or income other than social security. I thought that didn't pay anything, but I guess it's enough to cruise around the world forever when supplementing CCs?

I like owning real estate, but when it's cheap. My house is worth $500k tops and I probably only have ~$150k in it and the mortgage is cheaper than a studio apt rent downtown Traverse City. If I were where you are, I'd feel very differently. I honestly don't even know how people afford it out there. My BIL is buying their 4th condo in Huntington Beach for "just another $800k" to rent month to month. He's our age, spent MILLIONS (this $800k puts them near $4M invested by my counts) buying real estate around the city and I have zero idea where the money comes from. He owns a "business" selling shit on Amazon so he must have some sort of tax or PPP scam going on like your buddy.

And I have to hear about how poor we are and they offer to fly us out to visit all the time because they know we don't make that much. No, we make plenty, we just don't spend that much. $1k to fly to CA to be talked down to and made to feel poor isn't my idea of money well spent. What the fuck.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:40 am

Not owning a house would free up a shit ton of money. I hate owning real estate.
That's assuming you had it. These people are way in the red with no savings or income other than social security. I thought that didn't pay anything, but I guess it's enough to cruise around the world forever when supplementing CCs?

I like owning real estate, but when it's cheap. My house is worth $500k tops and I probably only have ~$150k in it and the mortgage is cheaper than a studio apt rent downtown Traverse City. If I were where you are, I'd feel very differently. I honestly don't even know how people afford it out there. My BIL is buying their 4th condo in Huntington Beach for "just another $800k" to rent month to month. He's our age, spent MILLIONS (this $800k puts them near $4M invested by my counts) buying real estate around the city and I have zero idea where the money comes from. He owns a "business" selling shit on Amazon so he must have some sort of tax or PPP scam going on like your buddy.

And I have to hear about how poor we are and they offer to fly us out to visit all the time because they know we don't make that much. No, we make plenty, we just don't spend that much. $1k to fly to CA to be talked down to and made to feel poor isn't my idea of money well spent. What the fuck.
Yea there are a lot of people heavily “invested” in the RE. Market … almost everyone I know owns multiple housing units as “investments” to rent out to the poors. I hate it, just like I hate used car sales or car sAles in general. I refuse to prey on the poors…

Most rentals don’t make Jack shit post interest taxes repairs and expenses. The only way people “made money” is through that rapid fake appreciation from 2015-22. But that’s come to an end…

Matter of fact if anyone tells me they “invest” in real estate I find them to be on the same level as drug dealers as far as social standing in my book.

/rantout
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:44 am

Yea there are a lot of people heavily “invested” in the RE. Market … almost everyone I know owns multiple housing units as “investments” to rent out to the poors. I hate it, just like I hate used car sales or car sAles in general. I refuse to prey on the poors…

Most rentals don’t make Jack shit post interest taxes repairs and expenses. The only way people “made money” is through that rapid fake appreciation from 2015-22. But that’s come to an end…

Matter of fact if anyone tells me they “invest” in real estate I find them to be on the same level as drug dealers as far as social standing in my book.

/rantout
:thankyou:

I see things the exact same way. I've run the math on "investing" in real estate, and I just don't see it at all. Even if you pay cash for something, the cost of taxes, maintenance and insurance make it a break-even venture at best compare to just dumping that money elsewhere. BIL claims it's for the long term so once the mortgages are paid off in 30 years he can just live the easy live, but $4M invested in other ways would probably grow better/faster than real estate, so it's a real head scratcher to me. It's gotta be some small business tax scheme or something like that.

Like you said, these people are just used car salesmen with more money. :disgust: I can't stand it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:52 am

+1 but these peeps are total rail jobs so apparently they have conquered gluttony
The people we know are straight up obese, probably bordering on morbidly so. Cruise life makes sense for them, but still can't for the life of me understand how they afford it.
:impressive:

I always find it so sad to see morbidly obese people going to town on buffets and stuff and am :mindblown: that they aren't embarrassed to be in that position. I saw some of these huge women from accounting at my office going ham in the dessert room at the company Christmas party last week and it's like, maybe do that shit in secret?
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:11 am

I always find it so sad to see morbidly obese people going to town on buffets and stuff and am :mindblown: that they aren't embarrassed to be in that position. I saw some of these huge women from accounting at my office going ham in the dessert room at the company Christmas party last week and it's like, maybe do that shit in secret?
It takes work and no shame to reach that size. Agreed, it's :digust:

Michele told me the other day that this woman commented on one of her instagram posts with :mindblown: you've lost so much weight what's the secret??!?!

Um, put the fork down.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:44 am

/rantout
:lolol: Yes, my realtor buddy (same guy who bought the F30) is all in on the house game and has tried to talk us into rentals on multiple times and he and his wife seemed legit astonished when I told them that I didn't want to get involved because it artificially raises prices and basically fucks over poors. God forbid you give more fucks about trying to make the world an OK place versus making a ton of money.

Funny thing is, much like Chris's bro-in-law, the laughs are up for all of these 'investors'. This dude and his wife bought a mountain house a year ago in peak :fullretard: for like $700K and it's probably worth $400K now, it was the perfect storm, they looked at a couple dozen mountain places, kept getting outbid and the budget kept climbing. Now they're incurring constant maintenance costs, huge headaches with airBNB, and heavily under water on the property.

They also bought a slumlord kinda dumpy rental property in Charlotte in 2020 and I imagine that is now sitting at what they paid at best, all for the beauty of breaking even each month on rent income versus mortgage and having to deal with renting to poor immigrant families who could probably buy the place if all of these dumbasses weren't snatching up any shit hole out there that's under $300K.

The dude has made a millski+ in the past three years slingin' houses though, so they will be fine. His wife is also a mid tier manager at Lowe's corporate and gets paid rather well.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:15 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:11 am

Michele told me the other day that this woman commented on one of her instagram posts with :mindblown: you've lost so much weight what's the secret??!?!

Um, put the fork down.
This is a HUGE pet peeve for me... 'must be nice to be skinny'. Um, no, I work hard every day exercising and starving myself half the time, so fuck you.

That said, I do enjoy being glutinous at events like that and making people :notsure:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tar wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:19 pm Apparently extended stays on a cruise are cheap, you pay full tilt on the first week then something like 300/week for each additional week. $1200/month beats rent + food costs. Throw that on a LOC and all the CCs you never pay back and it starts to look pretty cheap.
Yep
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Yes. They own but Property taxes in MX are negligible, HOAs reasonable, they depart from San Diego and they are dialed in.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:25 am
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:52 am

+1 but these peeps are total rail jobs so apparently they have conquered gluttony
What’s a “rail job”?
Slimmed down dragster of 50's lore...literally consists of engine, rails, tires and a seat. In human terms "skinny people"

https://www.shazam.com/track/10051041/little-rail-job
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:20 am

Um, put the fork down.
This is a HUGE pet peeve for me... 'must be nice to be skinny'. Um, no, I work hard every day exercising and starving myself half the time, so fuck you.

That said, I do enjoy being glutinous at events like that and making people :notsure:
:dat:

It's not nice to be this way, it actually sucks being hungry and tired most of the time. Beats being fat :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

Um, put the fork down.

I can't eat nearly as much as I used to, being glutinous for me is a thing of the past. I ate too much for Thanksgiving and felt absolutely horrible. I'm done with that, I'm OK with this.

I also can't drink much of any booze anymore, I feel hung over the next day if I even just drink two drinks the day/night before. It's so strange, but not bad for me, so :aintcare:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:33 pm

I can't eat nearly as much as I used to, being glutinous for me is a thing of the past. I ate too much for Thanksgiving and felt absolutely horrible. I'm done with that, I'm OK with this.

I also can't drink much of any booze anymore, I feel hung over the next day if I even just drink two drinks the day/night before. It's so strange, but not bad for me, so :aintcare:
I had too glasses of wine and a very high ABV beer last night and I was definitely :drunk: and definitely felt it this morning.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:12 pm
ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:33 pm

I had too glasses of wine and a very high ABV beer last night and I was definitely :drunk: and definitely felt it this morning.
My next day would be destroyed from that. It's insane.

High ABV is the worst. One and done or I'm really feeling it.

Two glasses of wine is my max

I can handle liquor a bit more, but even then...2-3 cocktails max.

Getting old I guess.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:21 pm

Getting old I guess.
I've been productive and biked to my parent's house to work from here/watch my dad, so all in all no harm done. I'll wind up with 25-30 miles of cycling and a day of work. Still feel it just a little bit :doe:
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Getting old I guess.
I'm :notsure: anymore if it's the case that alcohol doesn't make me feel bad or that I have never actually felt good. I can drink half a bottle of whiskey in an afternoon/evening and feel the same as usual the next day - tired. Skipping the alcohol, adding exercise, and eating better == I feel exactly the same, still just tired all of the time no matter what... so there's no point in being good except for trying to stay skinny.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Valkyrie wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:05 pm

Getting old I guess.
I'm :notsure: anymore if it's the case that alcohol doesn't make me feel bad or that I have never actually felt good. I can drink half a bottle of whiskey in an afternoon/evening and feel the same as usual the next day - tired. Skipping the alcohol, adding exercise, and eating better == I feel exactly the same, still just tired all of the time no matter what... so there's no point in being good except for trying to stay skinny.
Oddly enough that's the biggest differentiator for me. I sleep well probably 50% of the time recently with no alcohol. Add in a couple drinks or more and I sleep terribly 95% of those nights.

One trick I recently adopted is to take melatonin when I wake up in the middle of the night instead of at bedtime. I'll sleep from 10 to sometime between 1-3, I used to never be able to fall back asleep, but taking some melatonin at that time seems to be working rather well.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I’m @week 3 of no booze. No magical anything is happening … I’m a low key alcy but can quit cold Turkey whenever… at points 30-40 drink equivalents per week got way too much so I decided to cut it out…

Some reds/ipas create the worst hangovers imo. Also all brown liquors… aka anything

One positive is, it’s way easier to get out of bed the next day… and I’m pretty well rested after 6.5 hrs … drinking nights get me in bed for 8-9… :disgust:
ChrisoftheNorth

I drank very rarely this year, replacing it with cannabis. That got out of hand, so I cut that off cold turkey (for the last month and don't miss it) but started drinking a bit more. Last night, had 3 whiskey cocktails over the course of 4 hours and I slept like shit and feel like shit today. Insane low tolerance.

Going to cut booze out too and see what happens. Curious if I still feel like shit like Val mentioned, might just be my normal state.

Dan, good idea on the middle night melatonin. For the last week I've woken up at 3am on the dot wide awake and it takes me forever to fall back to sleep. I'll pop a melatonin tonight to see if that helps.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:29 pm I drank very rarely this year, replacing it with cannabis. That got out of hand, so I cut that off cold turkey (for the last month and don't miss it) but started drinking a bit more. Last night, had 3 whiskey cocktails over the course of 4 hours and I slept like shit and feel like shit today. Insane low tolerance.

Going to cut booze out too and see what happens. Curious if I still feel like shit like Val mentioned, might just be my normal state.

Dan, good idea on the middle night melatonin. For the last week I've woken up at 3am on the dot wide awake and it takes me forever to fall back to sleep. I'll pop a melatonin tonight to see if that helps.
It’s some form of insomnia where you can easily fall asleep upon going to bed but it’s very difficult to get back.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:47 pm I’m @week 3 of no booze. No magical anything is happening … I’m a low key alcy but can quit cold Turkey whenever… at points 30-40 drink equivalents per week got way too much so I decided to cut it out…

Some reds/ipas create the worst hangovers imo. Also all brown liquors… aka anything

One positive is, it’s way easier to get out of bed the next day… and I’m pretty well rested after 6.5 hrs … drinking nights get me in bed for 8-9… :disgust:
Pretty much same for me on all accounts. I gave it up for around 100 days earlier this year and felt the same (other than the morning after a drinking night where I don’t sleep well). I also didn’t lose weight or anything. I think alcohol is terrible for the body nonetheless, but it seems to me like for the most part I’d rather live with it than without. I pretty successfully avoid it during the work week.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:47 pm I’m @week 3 of no booze. No magical anything is happening … I’m a low key alcy but can quit cold Turkey whenever… at points 30-40 drink equivalents per week got way too much so I decided to cut it out…

:dat:
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

It's probably just me, but I fall asleep the easiest and wake up feeling the best when I've had several drinks first. I am dead tired by noon, but I actually feel relatively good in the morning after drinking. :thisisfine:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Valkyrie wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:18 pm It's probably just me, but I fall asleep the easiest and wake up feeling the best when I've had several drinks first. I am dead tired by noon, but I actually feel relatively good in the morning after drinking. :thisisfine:
This is very similar to how it goes for me.

Man I'd crush a Pear High Noon right now if I had one.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Glad you didn’t get hosed Griff 🤙