Griff's UT Rental Car Saga

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:50 pm
ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:18 am
We know some people who got their house repo'd, evicted from their apartment so they're effectively homeless, yet somehow travel all over the world on cruises and whatnot. "Retired" without a dime to their names, they must be blowing social security money on travel or something.
WHAT?
It's a weird one. These people are horrific with money. The woman was successful in pharma sales for like 5 years in the late 90's, and lived like a queen with no job ever since. Her husband was a tennis coach at the local high school and retired in his early 50's for...reasons? We helped them move out of their house when they had to short sale it to prevent foreclosure. Then they moved into a swanky loft apt in downtown Detroit, which we never understood how they could afford it, and was there for a few years until we heard they got evicted. Now the woman just posts on facebook every week from a different country on cruise ships. Still no idea where income is coming from, but they seem to be living on cruise ships exclusively now.

They're the parents of some friends of ours, who are about our age. They're equally horrific with money, currently near 6 figures in CC debt (didn't know it could get that high) after making an absolute KILLING on a house in a luxury neighborhood in Detroit (legit bought it for $200k and sold it for $800k 4 years later). But they go to Morton's like it's McDonald's, pop out babies like its their jobs (up to 4 now), and refuse to live anything other than the high life.

And yet, they're surviving. Like Max has mentioned, makes it tough to be motivated to be responsible.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:21 pm

WHAT?
It's a weird one. These people are horrific with money. The woman was successful in pharma sales for like 5 years in the late 90's, and lived like a queen with no job ever since. Her husband was a tennis coach at the local high school and retired in his early 50's for...reasons? We helped them move out of their house when they had to short sale it to prevent foreclosure. Then they moved into a swanky loft apt in downtown Detroit, which we never understood how they could afford it, and was there for a few years until we heard they got evicted. Now the woman just posts on facebook every week from a different country on cruise ships. Still no idea where income is coming from, but they seem to be living on cruise ships exclusively now.

They're the parents of some friends of ours, who are about our age. They're equally horrific with money, currently near 6 figures in CC debt (didn't know it could get that high) after making an absolute KILLING on a house in a luxury neighborhood in Detroit (legit bought it for $200k and sold it for $800k 4 years later). But they go to Morton's like it's McDonald's, pop out babies like its their jobs (up to 4 now), and refuse to live anything other than the high life.

And yet, they're surviving. Like Max has mentioned, makes it tough to be motivated to be responsible.
Good for them, and sucks for us to try and be part of the Matrix. They have shit figured out as long as they are happy.
max225

Speaking of that my "contractor" buddy who is now 150-200k in debt (going up by about 10k a month) ... is going to a "well deserved" snow vacay with his family (leaving today), he is renting a cabin at lake tahoe and I am renting a hotel on points, and may see him in a bit.

And he has a 2nd kid on the way... because why the fuck not... he is flying to hawaii for 9 days later in the holidays because why the fuck not... he thought the tickets were affordable... dropping around 6k on the second trip and 3k on the first... He has been cash flow negative for 6 months...has 2 people full time on payroll doing god knows jack shit and can't make a buck.

Once he accumulates enough "debt" he is just going to "write off" his business and start a new one... also they are shopping for a new car for his wife... since their 2016 CUCKTREK is too OLD... meanwhile mine rolls in a 2010 TSX...

:rage: but that's how life works. It makes you really wonder what the fuck saving money and being responsible is for when so many people don't give a fuck and live better or equal lives while accumulating debt.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Wow I'm probably running for the biggest financial cuck award... Extra cash goes to debt repayment.....Bahahaha! :derp:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:18 am
We know some people who got their house repo'd, evicted from their apartment so they're effectively homeless, yet somehow travel all over the world on cruises and whatnot. "Retired" without a dime to their names, they must be blowing social security money on travel or something.
WHAT?
If I was way far into retirement/near my death bed I would send it like that :lolol: Tough to wrap my head around the logistics :doe:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tar wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:48 pm Wow I'm probably running for the biggest financial cuck award... Extra cash goes to debt repayment.....Bahahaha! :derp:
I feel majorly :wasteful: buying a BRZ for $15K less than an average new car even though it will likely be a cashola purchase... :ohwell: :scrooge: just runs too deep.

At least I am going to actually :doit: , I've been rocking the :scrooge: vehicle life for pretty much all of life other than when I had a new :mk6: for three years.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:30 pm Speaking of that my "contractor" buddy who is now 150-200k in debt (going up by about 10k a month) ... is going to a "well deserved" snow vacay with his family (leaving today), he is renting a cabin at lake tahoe and I am renting a hotel on points, and may see him in a bit.

And he has a 2nd kid on the way... because why the fuck not... he is flying to hawaii for 9 days later in the holidays because why the fuck not... he thought the tickets were affordable... dropping around 6k on the second trip and 3k on the first... He has been cash flow negative for 6 months...has 2 people full time on payroll doing god knows jack shit and can't make a buck.

Once he accumulates enough "debt" he is just going to "write off" his business and start a new one... also they are shopping for a new car for his wife... since their 2016 CUCKTREK is too OLD... meanwhile mine rolls in a 2010 TSX...

:rage: but that's how life works. It makes you really wonder what the fuck saving money and being responsible is for when so many people don't give a fuck and live better or equal lives while accumulating debt.
It's funny because the few people I know who run small businesses like that do nothing but complain about how shitty their tax implications and stuff are... small price to pay to be able to bail at any time and let the tax payer or whoever else foot the bill.

:disgust:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:14 pm
Tar wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:48 pm Wow I'm probably running for the biggest financial cuck award... Extra cash goes to debt repayment.....Bahahaha! :derp:
I feel majorly :wasteful: buying a BRZ for $15K less than an average new car even though it will likely be a cashola purchase... :ohwell: :scrooge: just runs too deep.

At least I am going to actually :doit: , I've been rocking the :scrooge: vehicle life for pretty much all of life other than when I had a new :mk6: for three years.
I whole heartedly think you should, you're probably cash flow positive with minimal good debt (house) and not looking to buy anything big aside from a nice car. It's not a lavish purchase out of your means, like you said, $15k cheaper then the average new car purchase... that still qualifies as responsible.

If I knew prices were going to be heading upwards in quick fashion I'd spend some free cash on things that I covet, but that doesn't seem the case so I'm in no rush really.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:15 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:30 pm Speaking of that my "contractor" buddy who is now 150-200k in debt (going up by about 10k a month) ... is going to a "well deserved" snow vacay with his family (leaving today), he is renting a cabin at lake tahoe and I am renting a hotel on points, and may see him in a bit.

It's funny because the few people I know who run small businesses like that do nothing but complain about how shitty their tax implications and stuff are... small price to pay to be able to bail at any time and let the tax payer or whoever else foot the bill.

He has never even paid 1/10th of my tax bill even when he made 6 figures... wrote off everything including lunches/vehicles etc into his lovely "business"
max225

I don't see how the F30 is anywhere near :scrooge:

:scrooge: is a 2010 TSX or a 2006 Toyota Prius. :whocares: about the brz at 33k it's cheap. Just get it and have some fun. What's all this mulling about... You want to be buried in some useless cash that may be gone tomorrow ?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:34 pm

I don't see how the F30 is anywhere near :scrooge:

:scrooge: is a 2010 TSX or a 2006 Toyota Prius. :whocares: about the brz at 33k it's cheap. Just get it and have some fun. What's all this mulling about... You want to be buried in some useless cash that may be gone tomorrow ?
:iono: you say $33K is cheap, the F30 was half that. Pretty much the cheapest car one car buy that isn't a total seppuku wagon.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:29 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:15 pm

He has never even paid 1/10th of my tax bill even when he made 6 figures... wrote off everything including lunches/vehicles etc into his lovely "business"

Exactly, I don't feel bad for these guys in the least.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:10 pm

WHAT?
If I was way far into retirement/near my death bed I would send it like that :lolol: Tough to wrap my head around the logistics :doe:
There is an older (mid 70s?) couple in our building in MX we saw a lot of during the VID but now are Gone Johnson...........because they are "cruisers." Literally 300 days a year on a boat. Whatever works, man.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:36 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:10 pm

There is an older (mid 70s?) couple in our building in MX we saw a lot of during the VID but now are Gone Johnson...........because they are "cruisers." Literally 300 days a year on a boat. Whatever works, man.
I semi redact my statement, I’d travel a lot but I couldn’t do the cruise thing that much. I would die of obesity/alcohol poisoning within 30 days.

That said, you do you boo, MX cruisers. At least they can maybe afford it more than Chris’s acquaintances.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Apparently extended stays on a cruise are cheap, you pay full tilt on the first week then something like 300/week for each additional week. $1200/month beats rent + food costs. Throw that on a LOC and all the CCs you never pay back and it starts to look pretty cheap.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tar wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:19 pm Apparently extended stays on a cruise are cheap, you pay full tilt on the first week then something like 300/week for each additional week. $1200/month beats rent + food costs. Throw that on a LOC and all the CCs you never pay back and it starts to look pretty cheap.
Cruises to not that great destinations are indeed pretty cheap if you can manage to avoid buying too much booze. The problem with that though, is then you’re sober on a cruise ship.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:34 am
Tar wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:19 pm Apparently extended stays on a cruise are cheap, you pay full tilt on the first week then something like 300/week for each additional week. $1200/month beats rent + food costs. Throw that on a LOC and all the CCs you never pay back and it starts to look pretty cheap.
Cruises to not that great destinations are indeed pretty cheap if you can manage to avoid buying too much booze. The problem with that though, is then you’re sober on a cruise ship.
So basically the gig is up at liver failure or bankruptcy? :notbad:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:15 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:36 pm

I semi redact my statement, I’d travel a lot but I couldn’t do the cruise thing that much. I would die of obesity/alcohol poisoning within 30 days.

That said, you do you boo, MX cruisers. At least they can maybe afford it more than Chris’s acquaintances.
+1 but these peeps are total rail jobs so apparently they have conquered gluttony
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:52 am

+1 but these peeps are total rail jobs so apparently they have conquered gluttony
They’re slamming other rails to curb their appetite.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

The people we know are straight up obese, probably bordering on morbidly so. Cruise life makes sense for them, but still can't for the life of me understand how they afford it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

ChrisoftheNorth wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:55 am

The people we know are straight up obese, probably bordering on morbidly so. Cruise life makes sense for them, but still can't for the life of me understand how they afford it.
Not owning a house would free up a shit ton of money. I hate owning real estate.
max225

What’s a “rail job”?
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:25 am

What’s a “rail job”?
Super skinny people.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:36 am
max225 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:25 am

What’s a “rail job”?
Super skinny people.
:thankyou: honestly didn’t know what it meant.
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:38 am
SAWCE wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:36 am

Super skinny people.
:thankyou: honestly didn’t know what it meant.
:bow: just doing my civic duty