General Economic chit chat/updates.

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

3 months salary and healthcare after 10 years with the company, dunno if that is decent but it is what it is... Looking like the talk of leaving FL might become reality sooner than expected. The dream of being a proper pro musician is certainly dead, can't afford to try that any longer.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

:( Sorry this happened to you guys. Good luck overcoming this. Keep us posted.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Valkyrie wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:20 pm 3 months salary and healthcare after 10 years with the company, dunno if that is decent but it is what it is... Looking like the talk of leaving FL might become reality sooner than expected. The dream of being a proper pro musician is certainly dead, can't afford to try that any longer.
Truly sorry Val. FWIW a few years after we moved to Fla, the rug got pulled out from my wife unit as well. That job was the whole reason we went there....and when they let her go she took a 60% pay cut. We struggled for a year, and then the housing bubble popped and we were under water on our house by $100K. The only way we could qualify for the :thanksobama: mortgage relief program was to default on our mortgage. Which we did and then they lowered our payment by about 35%. We were scaping by Wells Fargo screwed us with a typo and our payment soared back up to even higher than it was initially. We rented our house out and moved back up north, but we started to get behind on our payments. When the process server showed up at the house to serve us notice that foreclosure proceedings were being enacted, our tenant stopped making her rent payments. We defaulted and the HOA tried to steal our house as well for back dues payments. Miraculously we were able to "short sell" the house and get out from under it. But our credit took a 7 year hit.

The point is that we made it through, and with hard work and perseverance we are doing quite well 12 years later. We have a house that is paid off in less than 10 years. We are sitting on decent retirement accounts and have 6 figure savings. My further point is, that you two will be okay too,
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Valkyrie wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:20 pm 3 months salary and healthcare after 10 years with the company, dunno if that is decent but it is what it is... Looking like the talk of leaving FL might become reality sooner than expected. The dream of being a proper pro musician is certainly dead, can't afford to try that any longer.
It’s something. You two have some savings to tie yourselves over as well right ? And there is also a bit in unemployment benefits. Overall you shouldn’t do any sort of immediate moves Imo.

You like Florida so do your best to stay, your COL seems completely reasonable so it should be manageable. I’m not sure what area is cheaper than 350k ish or so for a house other than the Deep South. Which is a yuge no
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Decent houses can be had in semi Rural areas outside small/medium cities for $200-250K. The housing market here in Central PA is pretty conservative and generally doesn't suffer wild swings. That being said the values are still covid-inflated IMO. And anything decent around or under the 200K mark sparks bidding wars. My son recently threw his hat in the ring on a house (under) listed at $145K. He made an offer of $175K with an escalation clause in $2500 increment capped at $190K. He had a full pre approval from a local mortgage broker, not just the fake letter. The sellers had 13 offers and only considered the 5 that were all cash.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:14 am
It’s something. You two have some savings to tie yourselves over as well right ? And there is also a bit in unemployment benefits. Overall you shouldn’t do any sort of immediate moves Imo.

You like Florida so do your best to stay, your COL seems completely reasonable so it should be manageable. I’m not sure what area is cheaper than 350k ish or so for a house other than the Deep South. Which is a yuge no
Leaving is more likely to happen because of jobs than short term affordability. The chances of her finding another remote job are slim, especially now.

We were looking at her retiring in ~12 years and me only needing to make enough to pay for healthcare until 65. None of that is going to happen as the income and savings take huge hits, expenses continue to soar, and the market remains trash. :doomed:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Sorry to hear about the job loss, Val. Hope that something works out in short order. I know she hasn’t had much luck in the past but it should be better being able to dedicate more time to B the search. A lot of jobs are still remote from what I’m seeing, plenty are not as well. She was some kind of engineering manager?
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

First republic has officially failed, feds seized and gave to JPMorgan. oh im sorry 'sold' it. :rolleyes:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Dammit. Sorry Val. That blows.
File for unemployment ASAP.

What was her job title? Utilities seem to be hiring…
https://jobs.tecoenergy.com/search/?cre ... ch=Florida
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

That sucks about losing job but if i recall, you guys left NY with the understanding that once WFH ended that his was extremely likely outcome? Again correct if wrong but I recall you guys having asked about working remote and being told "no"
:iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

golftdibrad1 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:57 am
That sucks about losing job but if i recall, you guys left NY with the understanding that once WFH ended that his was extremely likely outcome? Again correct if wrong but I recall you guys having asked about working remote and being told "no"
Nah it took forever for them to give her an answer but it was an official Yes, her position was 100% remote permanently (while it existed). I was ready to just go ZFG a year earlier, damn the consequences.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Valkyrie wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:01 pm

Nah it took forever for them to give her an answer but it was an official Yes, her position was 100% remote permanently (while it existed).
Ah fuck well that sucks even more then, sorry to hear.
max225

A lot of companies are reneging the wfh shit …
Kind of crazy how we went “fully remote” to hybrid to “you should probably be in the office”
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Valkyrie wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:01 pm

Nah it took forever for them to give her an answer but it was an official Yes, her position was 100% remote permanently (while it existed). I was ready to just go ZFG a year earlier, damn the consequences.
I do a ton of biz with this company - https://www.powerdesigninc.us/careers/

They always have a ton of jobs posted, they have two facilities, one in north St. Pete and one just over the bridge in Palmetto, worth taking a look.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:42 pm A lot of companies are reneging the wfh shit …
Kind of crazy how we went “fully remote” to hybrid to “you should probably be in the office”
My company is legit auditing the amount of times people are coming in the office (the expectation is 50/50 hybrid). lots of VP/SVP/EVP’s are about to get in trouble because they are responsible for the downstream of their business units and some units are in 100% of the time, but others are in 1 day a month.

We are the ones procuring the audits. It’s very gestapo like
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:42 pm A lot of companies are reneging the wfh shit …
Commuting is such trash.
max225

razr390 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:49 pm
My company is legit auditing the amount of times people are coming in the office (the expectation is 50/50 hybrid). lots of VP/SVP/EVP’s are about to get in trouble because they are responsible for the downstream of their business units and some units are in 100% of the time, but others are in 1 day a month.

We are the ones procuring the audits. It’s very gestapo like
Apple is doing it … and the reporting is skiplevel. So your Boss’ Boss gets your badge report if you don’t show up a minimum number of times.

Fb is doing it also…

My wives company started to as well… anything under 3 days a week is getting flagged.
max225

Valkyrie wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:36 pm
Commuting is such trash.
Working is trash. I’d rather not die a slow and miserable death working for the man. But such is life
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Commuting is such trash.
WFH is nice in that the commute time is zero. the rest of it, take it or leave it. I work a lot more efficiently in the office.

But yeah. Commuting is annoying. My commute now is a short walk to the subway, and then 2 subways and I’m at the building. Like 20 min door to door with no drive and basically no stress. And while it’s a hell of a lot better than driving it’s still annoying.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:02 pm

Commuting is such trash.
Working is trash. I’d rather not die a slow and miserable death working for the man. But such is life
Working in theory is at least productive. Commuting is generally not.
max225

Valkyrie wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:43 pm

All relative. If real estate costs 2x what it does for a 1 hr commute how do you pick what’s better ? You either give up life in the car or get a worse standard of living
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Commuting is such trash.
I am beginning to realize this is the spread. I just went on vacation with someone who took early retirement from an unknown telecom company @ age 50 because sounds good. After 5 days I wanted to to shoot X in the face. Such doldrums, much boring, WOW. If you have game, retire. If you do not have retirement game, DO NOT RETIRE. I have no retirement game at this time. My jerb allows me something between 100% and fired. This is the way, if you can do it. I understand that working for the man is oppressive. If you can find a way to negotiate somewhere between that and sitting on your ass, DO EIT. Russian Vodka Bar. Kauai. Let me know.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:32 am
Valkyrie wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:43 pm

All relative. If real estate costs 2x what it does for a 1 hr commute how do you pick what’s better ? You either give up life in the car or get a worse standard of living
Time is the only thing that you can't get back. Why we're all stuck on this 50, 60, 70+ hours a week (with commuting) paradigm is beyond my understanding. That -is- a worse standard of living. What's the point of a house/family if you never see it?

Of course I spend 12 hours a day in bed and will likely die by age 65, so time is worth more to me than most.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Valkyrie wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:16 am
max225 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:32 am

Time is the only thing that you can't get back. Why we're all stuck on this 50, 60, 70+ hours a week (with commuting) paradigm is beyond my understanding. That -is- a worse standard of living. What's the point of a house/family if you never see it?

Of course I spend 12 hours a day in bed and will likely die by age 65, so time is worth more to me than most.
I generally agree with this, time is more important to standard of living than having a large or fancy house. At the end of the day, we all value what we value, but I think a lot of husbands/wives/parents are ultimately cucks enslaved to their families trying to provide some false idyllic suburban dream.

Supporting a family if you have one is obviously important but I feel a balance that works for everyone is important.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:01 am

I am beginning to realize this is the spread. I just went on vacation with someone who took early retirement from an unknown telecom company @ age 50 because sounds good. After 5 days I wanted to to shoot X in the face. Such doldrums, much boring, WOW. If you have game, retire. If you do not have retirement game, DO NOT RETIRE. I have no retirement game at this time. My jerb allows me something between 100% and fired. This is the way, if you can do it. I understand that working for the man is oppressive. If you can find a way to negotiate somewhere between that and sitting on your ass, DO EIT. Russian Vodka Bar. Kauai. Let me know.
:dat: if you have a lot you’d like to do and the resources to do it, cool. If you’re retiring but have to just kind of sit around being cheap to make it last, meh.

There’s something out there for everyone that at least provides opportunity for some interesting experiences, challenges, and life balance. You have to find it and it sucks some days, but everything sucks some days, just have to make the most of it and try to make it mostly not suck.

When I was in inside sales going to the office everyday and being prodded by management about call volume, having my calls listened in on and getting feedback, working with other cucks, yeah that job blew ass but I was able to learn and grow into something better. Most of the jobs I’ve had have been legitimately interesting to me and sometimes even enjoyable.