Smol Truck Lyfe: Homeless Edition

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:01 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:16 pm

Xtreme, which reminds me. In fifth grade, my gym teacher used to drive one of those (Blazer), with a manual and I recall a nice sounding exhaust. When we would go out for recess towards the end of the school day, I see him leave and we would just hear that everytime.
I think that SS is different that the xTreme but pretty similar. I believe SS was more of a performance upgrade versus looks but :iono:

Funny thing is either one if the most gym teacher car of cars I can imagine :lolol:
The Xtreme came after the SS and had different fascia and side ground effects. It was very early 00s, but the SS was a bit more understated. Rare though, there weren't many SSs before the Xtreme came out.

None had any actual performance benefits other than a lowered suspension.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265638892647?c ... 1&mkcid=28

Is this basically what you've purchased?
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:18 am https://www.ebay.com/itm/265638892647?c ... 1&mkcid=28

This one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284864395544?_ ... 1128321874

The cheaper listing I bought seems to have expired or maybe it was a sale thing? Still, seems like a :notbad: deal. Will post up when it comes and I install it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:58 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:18 am https://www.ebay.com/itm/265638892647?c ... 1&mkcid=28

This one:

The cheaper listing I bought seems to have expired or maybe it was a sale thing? Still, seems like a :notbad: deal. Will post up when it comes and I install it.
I wish I could find an OE radio for the Miata.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
ChrisoftheNorth

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:17 am
This one:

I wish I could find an OE radio for the Miata.
GM put the exact same radio in just about every model from 1997 to 2004. Fortunately, that makes it easy to find refurb'd units, and even modified refurb'd, like in this case. I've found threads all over the internet of people opening up these GM units and installing hardwired bluetooth unit, so I'm just paying someone else to do that work. Fortunately, all I wanted was the ability to play my phone over bluetooth (I don't even want to make calls, just play music), so this unit should work great. The one in the truck has a few dead illumination spots and one button is cracked, so a replacement is in order anyway.

I searched all over for an aftermarket alternative that looked factory. They're all just terrible. Even "simple" design head units deploy a bunch of high gloss black, which looks completely out of place in an older vehicle where everything is matte charcoal/black/gray. I don't understand why the aftermarket hasn't caught on to the demand for a simple designed HU, I bet it's high.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

This one:

I have a BT module in a box but this sounds better than me trying to wire that up correctly myself. I'll pull my radio out soon and make sure the part number is indeed interchangeable even though they all look exactly the same.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:03 am
golftdibrad1 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:18 am saw this at the pint, figured y'all would like

$15k truck there. :megusta:
LOL that it is an "antique" by the plate and that it was brand new when the Van Halen casette I would have punched into its stereo was also brand new.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Obvious conclusion is that I AM NOT BRAND NEW.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:41 pm https://www.ebay.com/p/28004271006

Corvette tax :disgust:
Nah big playskool buttons are back in style.
ChrisoftheNorth

:wtf:

I do recall something about Corvette units being unique in some way, but this is just :fullretard:

I wonder if there's actually something different outside of the PN.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:31 pm Obvious conclusion is that I AM NOT BRAND NEW.
25 years classifies as an antique vehicle in Meat chicken. The S10 has 3 years to go.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:03 pm

I do recall something about Corvette units being unique in some way, but this is just :fullretard:

The mounting points may be different, however the photos are identical between the two links posted. Same seller too.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:03 pm

The mounting points may be different, however the photos are identical between the two links posted. Same seller too.
The units may be identical, just with a different part number. Some people get really :triggered: with Corvettes and making sure part numbers are accurate. I doubt this dude gets many units with Corvette part numbers, so he may charge a premium just for that. :iono:

I thought I remember something about impedances and how the HU interfaces with Blose amps or speakers or something functional like that being unique in the C5. I have no clue, but I swapped in a hideous Sony unit in my C5 and it worked fine, but needed some fancy adapter thing to all work right.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:36 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:11 pm

The units may be identical, just with a different part number. Some people get really :triggered: with Corvettes and making sure part numbers are accurate. I doubt this dude gets many units with Corvette part numbers, so he may charge a premium just for that. :iono:

I thought I remember something about impedances and how the HU interfaces with Blose amps or speakers or something functional like that being unique in the C5. I have no clue, but I swapped in a hideous Sony unit in my C5 and it worked fine, but needed some fancy adapter thing to all work right.
The Bose woofers are 2ohm but I think the weird Bose specific pigtail and built in amplifier handle that. The mid 3.5" and 6.5" speakers are 4ohm IIRC. So like you said I believe the unit is probably identical.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

IIRC the Corvette uses speakers that are all powered by external Blose amps and the “lesser” vehicles they were powered by the HU itself like most cars of that era. I think when I put a Kenwood unit in my Corvette I had to install a device to go from speaker level to line level out of it. So it may be different? I don’t really know though.

Caring about a numbers matching radio in a C5 is hilarious. Corvette peeps are an interesting bunch.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Speaking of corvettes, I saw this AARPurple machine while on my bike last week, thought it was funny, sort of the opposite flex of my vanity plate.

ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:56 am Speaking of corvettes, I saw this AARPurple machine while on my bike last week, thought it was funny, sort of the opposite flex of my vanity plate.

:lolol:

C8's are growing on me...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:58 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:56 am Speaking of corvettes, I saw this AARPurple machine while on my bike last week, thought it was funny, sort of the opposite flex of my vanity plate.

I don't love that one - never loved AARPurple and in base base spec they look a bit odd to me. Overall though, I want one. They're pretty dang sweet.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:20 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:58 am

I don't love that one - never loved AARPurple and in base base spec they look a bit odd to me. Overall though, I want one. They're pretty dang sweet.
I still think they're overstyled overall, but I'm hating them less the more I see them. I'd still prefer a C7 :doe: C7 GS :manuel:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

:amazing: plate
ChrisoftheNorth

I bought the S10 to be something to tinker with. I wanted something to occupy my mind that wasn't just work and house :bs: and so far it's been fitting the bill. What have I been up to?

Other than the interior parts I mentioned, there's a few issues I've been wanting to diagnose. One is a random CEL that comes and goes, the other is an intermittent ABS light.

The dude I bought it from told me about these, and claimed it needs a new rear O2 sensor (which he had and gave me) for the CEL, and the ABS light he claimed was a wheel speed sensor. Trust but verify is my motto, so I wanted to see how I could verify. The truck is a 2000 model year, so it has OBDII with a reasonably modern ECU. How much could Torque Pro tell me?

Well, at first, not much. It read the CEL and spit out a 0420 code, which a quick google search indicates is a catalytic converter failure. There were no codes returned for the ABS light. Awesome. Apparently, these GM ABS systems are notoriously difficult to read codes from, only certain software/readers can do it. I'll find a way.

Torque pro has a data logging feature, and you can select just about every parameter to log. I went through the list and found O2 sensors and wheel speed sensors. That should tell me what I need!

For the CEL, I did some reading on the error and essentially, the upstream and downstream O2 sensors are reading the same indicating the cat is doing nothing. I read that sometimes it's an O2 sensor that's giving false readings, or other times the cat is legit bad. The cat has a visible date code of 6/2019, so it's not original. That doesn't mean it's not bad, but I'd be surprised if it were because the truck is running great. It's very possible that it was gutted, but the truck passed CO smog this time last year, and the PO didn't seem like the type that would gut a cat.

For the ABS light, it's either the ABS module (that I can send out to have repaired for $130) or a wheel speed sensor.

So knowing what I needed to measure, I fired up torque, plugged in my fancy $10 OBDII reader, started logging and went for a drive.

O2 sensors rapidly fluctuate between 0 and 1, so the data is a bit tough to analyze, but outliers should be easy to see...

That jumbled mess indicates to me that indeed, the O2 sensors are all reading about the same. In the correct state, one of those (the downstream sensor Bank 1 Sensor 3) should be reading lower than the others at or near zero. That's clearly not happening, so I either have a bad cat or a bad O2 sensor. Since I have a new O2 sensor from the OP, I'll try installing it and running these logs again to see if there's a difference. If there isn't, I may need to bite the bullet for a new cat (I don't need a cat here, but I also don't hate polar bears).

Now, wheel sensors. The ABS light will come on if one or more sensors aren't working or reading way off from the others. Since torque can read and log the wheel speed sensors, it should be easy to see if one or more are failing.

Overall, the sensors are reading mostly the same. There's a few points where one is reading way off, but it generally comes back in line. For the ABS light to come on as a result of this, one or many need to be off for a long period of time (I can't find how long, but still searching), but to me these results are about what I'd expect. The event at 256 was where I gave it the beans turning onto a fast moving road, so it's reasonable to expect the sensors would read and catch up at different times. What's really interesting about this event is it was a right hand turn, and it's the right rear wheel that's turning the least...exactly what would happen during such a turn.

It's weird that most readers can't read ABS codes because they can read wheel speed sensors. Must have something to do with where the data is stored and where lights come from. Anywho, I got a great log from the wheel speed sensor and I think I can conclude that the computer needs to be repaired. It could be worth cleaning the wheel sensors, but I don't think any one of them are bad.
ChrisoftheNorth

BTW, I love that the thing is modern enough to be able to pull data like this from it, and I'm honestly quite surprised. I find the entire thing fascinating, and it's nice to know that I won't be blindly throwing parts at CELs and many mechanical problems.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Seems like bad 02 and bad computer are the culprits would be nice to find out if that’s it
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:24 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:20 am

I still think they're overstyled overall, but I'm hating them less the more I see them. I'd still prefer a C7 :doe: C7 GS :manuel:
First thing to go is the square exhaust exits. Also I REALLY dislike the black ramz on these.