Cars you wanted, but never purchased

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Irish wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:43 pm In the early 90's I test drove the first generation Mitsu Eclipse. These seem lame-o now :facepalm: but they were one of the affordable few sporty cars available then. My 24 yo self thought they were pretty damn sharp especially since Where I lived (in NE NJ) They were advertising $179/month, no money down leases. But alas, at the time I did not qualify.

In the mid 90's when my (then) wife-to-be was having service on her Saturn SC2.

I test drove the first Z28 to have the LT1 engine.

I talked the guy into letting me test drive it without a credit check (at the time I doubt a new car Chevy Dealer would have done so) It was the most powerful thing I had ever driven. The salesman went white as I had the thing sideways when I lit them up right out of the parking lot. The want was real. But as we were getting married the following year, it just wasn't practical. I ended up with an Eagle Vision instead. :baby: :dissappoint:

In the mid 2000's, I test drove A Chrysler Crossfire. It drove like a dream, being 40% Mercedes. But again, the timing wasn't right for a non practical car as we were raising 3 crotchfruit by then.

:datass: Dat Ass doe....
Eclipses were cool in the 90s :iono: no hate from me on any of those wants (well, maybe the Crossfire a little).
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:09 pm I looked at a Pheonix Yellow Integra Type R in 2011. It was $13K, not rough but definitely far from a museum piece, like 120K miles with wear and tear. At the time, I was like, that's way too much for an old Honda that's kind of beat up. I also looked at a mint 2001 Prelude at the same time, $6500. Offered $5500 and the dude told me to pound sand so I walked. I bought a damn :mk6: instead :disgust:

Meeting y'all has been the saving grace of the GTI but I lost my ass on that thing and could've made like $20K on the ITR even if I'd just dailied it for the next half decade.
:dat:

I'd go for a 2011 WRX hatch over my 2011 GTI if I could go back and do it again, if I was still buying new. Should've bought something used, doe.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:54 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:09 pm I looked at a Pheonix Yellow Integra Type R in 2011. It was $13K, not rough but definitely far from a museum piece, like 120K miles with wear and tear. At the time, I was like, that's way too much for an old Honda that's kind of beat up. I also looked at a mint 2001 Prelude at the same time, $6500. Offered $5500 and the dude told me to pound sand so I walked. I bought a damn :mk6: instead :disgust:

Meeting y'all has been the saving grace of the GTI but I lost my ass on that thing and could've made like $20K on the ITR even if I'd just dailied it for the next half decade.
:dat:

I'd go for a 2011 WRX hatch over my 2011 GTI if I could go back and do it again, if I was still buying new. Should've bought something used, doe.
I thought about those but the few extra K up front plus more gas/insurance was more than I could swing at the time. Hell, the GTI was more than I could swing.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

I remember insurance on WRX being something like triple that of the GTI for me at the time.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Valkyrie wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:04 pm I remember insurance on WRX being something like triple that of the GTI for me at the time.
Yep. Hell, I think I paid like $150/month for the :mk6: at the time due to being 22. WRX at $400 was a :nope:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

ITR would have been stolen by now brah
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Valkyrie wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:04 pm I remember insurance
ah yes thanks for reminder I need to do that as well
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:10 pm
Valkyrie wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:04 pm I remember insurance on WRX being something like triple that of the GTI for me at the time.
Yep. Hell, I think I paid like $150/month for the :mk6: at the time due to being 22. WRX at $400 was a :nope:
Those sound similar to what I remember. :disgust:

That's also why I bought a Corvette instead of an Elise. Both cars were around $25k in 2013, but insurance was $120/mo on a C5 and $450 on the Elise.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

That doesn't surprise me, though TBH I don't think I ever got a quote on one. It was October of 2010 when I bought the GTI and the widebody WRXs weren't really very available yet at that point. I was driving a 12 year old Grand Prix and wanted out RIGHT MEOW. I cross-shopped the WRX, Mazdaspeed3, and the Civic Si, but I didn't even drive those other three. The GTI was really the only car I seriously considered.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:51 pm

That doesn't surprise me, though TBH I don't think I ever got a quote on one. It was October of 2010 when I bought the GTI and the widebody WRXs weren't really very available yet at that point. I was driving a 12 year old Grand Prix and wanted out RIGHT MEOW. I cross-shopped the WRX, Mazdaspeed3, and the Civic Si, but I didn't even drive those other three. The GTI was really the only car I seriously considered.
I actually wanted a Mazda Speed 3 at the time but there were none available that weren’t black so I got a white :mk6:

:lolol: I wasn’t very smart.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:51 pm

I actually wanted a Mazda Speed 3 at the time but there were none available that weren’t black so I got a white :mk6:

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:22 pmI actually wanted a Mazda Speed 3 at the time but there were none available that weren’t black so I got a white :mk6:

A used 07-08 MS3 could've been a good way to go. I couldn't get over the stupid grin and the ugly dotted cloth in the second gen ones. My wife had an 05 Mazda3 at the time and I sat in the new MS3 at the :dillerman: while her car was getting some warranty work done. It was a :nope: from me, dawg.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:29 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:22 pmI actually wanted a Mazda Speed 3 at the time but there were none available that weren’t black so I got a white :mk6:

A used 07-08 MS3 could've been a good way to go. I couldn't get over the stupid grin and the ugly dotted cloth in the second gen ones. My wife had an 05 Mazda3 at the time and I sat in the new MS3 at the :dillerman: while her car was getting some warranty work done. It was a :nope: from me, dawg.
It was a hoot to drive though, way more fun than the GTI.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:07 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:29 pm

It was a hoot to drive though, way more fun than the GTI.
Lots of fun. The smiley face was so bad though, I couldn’t do it. And at the time the first gen was stupid high priced used and the cars were generally pretty beat by the time they hit the used market.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

The Mazdaspeed6 was a car I drove when new and never bought. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but definitely enjoyed the GTO more, and I only had the space and budget for one car. So, the GTO won that battle.

Oddly enough, when I was looking for a second vehicle, the MS6 never really crossed my mind to look at. By the time I did remember that car used to be a thing, all of the options were pretty beat.
Johnny_P

I guess you could add Rav4 hybrid to my list. I was set on getting one but the wife insisted that she liked the CRV better. I suppose it doesn’t really matter but I’d have been happier with the Toyota. I think.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 3:14 pm I guess you could add Rav4 hybrid to my list. I was set on getting one but the wife insisted that she liked the CRV better. I suppose it doesn’t really matter but I’d have been happier with the Toyota. I think.
Ive got another rant with my accord's quality, the metal tip thing on the window switch just randomly broke, on a car less than 2 years old. My vw. Is it me or quality is going downhill. Same goes for the weatherstripping too from day one.

Maybe i could have add mazda 6 or even just a mazda 3.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I decided to add honda passport since I almost got it, but i got disappointed with the way it drove plus dealer was charging my absurd amount of money which i decided to move on the accord.

B8 s4 was a good option, but at the time my driving situation for that year was questionable and i atleast went for the accord for the peace of mind
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:54 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 3:14 pm I guess you could add Rav4 hybrid to my list. I was set on getting one but the wife insisted that she liked the CRV better. I suppose it doesn’t really matter but I’d have been happier with the Toyota. I think.
Ive got another rant with my accord's quality, the metal tip thing on the window switch just randomly broke, on a car less than 2 years old. My vw. Is it me or quality is going downhill. Same goes for the weatherstripping too from day one.

Manufacturing QC has been questionable since the pandemic. I just had a brand new battery maintainer eat two batteries and a brand new air compressor have not one, not two, but three bad regulators. Factories are just spitting crap out to catch up on lead times, and it is showing.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:35 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:54 am

Manufacturing QC has been questionable since the pandemic. I just had a brand new battery maintainer eat two batteries and a brand new air compressor have not one, not two, but three bad regulators. Factories are just spitting crap out to catch up on lead times, and it is showing.
My car was one of the cars where i had to order, waited 3 weeks to be built in ohio. When i got it, i found the trunk to randomly open. Now i have to take it to the dealership to get that shit fixed. Subaru that my parents have on the other hand has been good knock on wood, and it was japanese built.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:12 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:35 pm

My car was one of the cars where i had to order, waited 3 weeks to be built in ohio. When i got it, i found the trunk to randomly open. Now i have to take it to the dealership to get that shit fixed. Subaru that my parents have on the other hand has been good knock on wood, and it was japanese built.
My Subaru built Toyota (also from Japan) is flawless as well. It is quite a nice thing.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:08 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:12 pm

My Subaru built Toyota (also from Japan) is flawless as well. It is quite a nice thing.
We can finally be gr86 bros after this summer, at earliest that is. Unless i find something else used with :manuel:

Im kinda at crossroads of either going bronco or tacoma though, manual of course.

So I can't make up my mind
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

The one circled can suck my balls
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:16 pm Image

The one circled can suck my balls
?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:15 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:08 pm

We can finally be gr86 bros after this summer, at earliest that is. Unless i find something else used with :manuel:

Im kinda at crossroads of either going bronco or tacoma though, manual of course.

So I can't make up my mind
:lolol: GR86 versus Bronco/Tacoma is more out there than Civic versus M3.