Me: :lolol:
Btw forgot to ask. Are you towing with the 4R
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:40 pm
wap wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:27 pm

Don't forget plugs, plug wires, points, cap, rotor, (if it still uses those) coil, etc. My VERY limited experience in getting old motors running again points to not neglecting the electricals. :wrong:
Yep, gonna pull the plugs to squirt some oil in the cylinders before starting, and replace the plugs at that time. The wires still look brand new, distributor is an HEI distributor, so no coil or points to deal with.
:notbad:
IDK, 40+ year old wires may not be as ok under the insulation as they may look on the outside. Probably :wrong: :doe:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tar wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:07 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:17 am
The what now?
These are little black birds that kind of look like ravens but smaller, and with a bluish shimmer to their heads. Absolutely brilliant creatures, but stubborn and filthy. They drop pouches of :poop: into bodies of water as a defense mechanism for keeping their nests clean and ultimately predators away. This could be a fairly big problem for pool owners, like myself. Went away for the weekend and the pool was absolutely decimated, we're talking Hiroshima style :nuke: droppings. I got the pool and deck clean, but I'm not sure I want to do that again. Strategies include bb gun/pellets, running fishing line strategically over the backyard to create a web that confuses the birds, fake owl/snakes... Scare crow?? :iono:

It's comedic but annoying.
:disgust: I love bird watching now that I live in the wilderness and don't have a pool or anything for them to destroy. Biggest thing we deal with is trying to keep the birds from pecking the wood siding on the tower. They've pecked the shit out of it, and I've yet to find a good solution for making them :gtfo:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:13 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:40 pm
Yep, gonna pull the plugs to squirt some oil in the cylinders before starting, and replace the plugs at that time. The wires still look brand new, distributor is an HEI distributor, so no coil or points to deal with.
IDK, 40+ year old wires may not be as ok under the insulation as they may look on the outside. Probably :wrong: :doe:
It's a tough quandary. Parts quality have degraded so much that I'd expect to get a bad set new. Putting a bad new set on could create more problems as we're trying to get it running. Just trying to get it running first and addressing shortcomings after might be the right way to go. We'll find out...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:58 pm
wap wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:13 pm

It's a tough quandary. Parts quality have degraded so much that I'd expect to get a bad set new. Putting a bad new set on could create more problems as we're trying to get it running. Just trying to get it running first and addressing shortcomings after might be the right way to go. We'll find out...
:wtf: Had no idea that the bolded was a real common possibility. :disgust: In that case, yeah, get her running and replace whatever presents itself as a problem.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:58 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:29 am Image

Uhaul Guy: "And what vehicle are you towing on the trailer?"
Me: "A 1980 Corvette"
Uhaul Guy: :butwhy:
Me: :lolol:
Btw forgot to ask. Are you towing with the 4R
:yesth:

Been towing quite a bit with it these last few months. First the boat from Detroit 4 hours north to Home last month, then the Corvette yesterday 2 hours from the middle of Michigan (literally the city is called "Midland") to Detroit. The thing tows remarkably well, I'm actually surprised. It's better than my ZR2 and Gladiator were, which I find quite incredible since both of those have more capacity on paper.

UHaul car trailers tend to put on a lot of tongue weight, so it was riding pretty low with the Vette, but it wasn't on the bump stops and we got home without issue in relative comfort. The "ancient" 4.0 has nice torque for yanking things around, and the 5 speed always seems to have the right gear, especially as I find it somehow more eager to downshift than my GM transmission trucks (had to FLOOR IT to get it to downshift). Only issue so far is it doesn't like cruise control for towing. Accelerating for any reason (up hill or a slower vehicle moves out of the way ahead, etc), and it tries to downshift, but then quickly shifts back up, and it'll keep doing it until I disable cruise. It's really weird, but if I take cruise control off, it's fine so :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:58 pm
:wtf: Had no idea that the bolded was a real common possibility. :disgust: In that case, yeah, get her running and replace whatever presents itself as a problem.
I learned this when I did a huge tear-down on my C5. I had it all apart, so I replaced anything/everything that's hard to get to unless the vehicle is all apart like I had it. When I went to start it, it wouldn't run. I had my tuning computer plugged in and noticed no readings from some of the sensors I replaced. Swapped them with the original factory ones I didn't throw out, and it fired right up. Car parts are absolutely garbage now, and I rarely replace things "while I'm in there" or proactively anymore because often being proactive just causes more problems. And that makes trouble shooting virtually impossible because you can't rule out things you replaced as an issue, because they absolutely can be.
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:46 pm
wap wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:14 pm

I learned this when I did a huge tear-down on my C5. I had it all apart, so I replaced anything/everything that's hard to get to unless the vehicle is all apart like I had it. When I went to start it, it wouldn't run. I had my tuning computer plugged in and noticed no readings from some of the sensors I replaced. Swapped them with the original factory ones I didn't throw out, and it fired right up. Car parts are absolutely garbage now, and I rarely replace things "while I'm in there" or proactively anymore because often being proactive just causes more problems. And that makes trouble shooting virtually impossible because you can't rule out things you replaced as an issue, because they absolutely can be.
WOW :|
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:57 pm
Tar wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:07 pm

These are little black birds that kind of look like ravens but smaller, and with a bluish shimmer to their heads. Absolutely brilliant creatures, but stubborn and filthy. They drop pouches of :poop: into bodies of water as a defense mechanism for keeping their nests clean and ultimately predators away. This could be a fairly big problem for pool owners, like myself. Went away for the weekend and the pool was absolutely decimated, we're talking Hiroshima style :nuke: droppings. I got the pool and deck clean, but I'm not sure I want to do that again. Strategies include bb gun/pellets, running fishing line strategically over the backyard to create a web that confuses the birds, fake owl/snakes... Scare crow?? :iono:

It's comedic but annoying.
:disgust: I love bird watching now that I live in the wilderness and don't have a pool or anything for them to destroy. Biggest thing we deal with is trying to keep the birds from pecking the wood siding on the tower. They've pecked the shit out of it, and I've yet to find a good solution for making them :gtfo:
Just getting back into this convo after a work thing..
I'm going to try running fishing line over the pool to see if that scares them off this nasty habit. Something tells me they're too smart to be tricked by a little wire. They're determined little buggers.
wap

Tar wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:38 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:57 pm
I'm going to try running fishing line over the pool to see if that scares them off this nasty habit. Something tells me they're too smart to be tricked by a little wire. They're determined little buggers.
:wat: if you hang strips of cloth from the fishing line to flutter in the wind? Would that scare the little fuckers off?
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:59 am
Huckleberry wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:25 am
Those late C3s are nice buys. Nobody wants them because "smog motor" and "plastic bumpers," but if you are planning on modifying the car, that stuff is can be addressed.

Of course, I would select a C4 over a C3 just because the chassis is vastly superior.
I wasn't kidding about the UHaul guy, he was legit perplexed that I was taking a 1980 Corvette anywhere. Must have been a car guy because he mentioned all the reasons nobody wants 80's and how worthless they are. All to which I agreed, but 11k mile original owner made some bit of sense to him.

My old man didn't buy it out of choice, his friend needed some financial help and wouldn't take money for nothing. So it'll be a project to get running and cruise around in. It's long-term prospects with us are up in the air.

I do fit remarkably well in it :doe: The small steering wheel that moves makes a huge difference. I could drive it without issue, so maybe I'll take it if my old man loses interest. It'll be a dog, but at least it's a stick.
If you ever feel like giving it some oomph, the engine I built for the El Camino is very affordable and surprisingly responsive for how mild it is:

355 hydraulic roller block
Keith Black hypereutectic flattop pistons
Crane 2032 hydraulic roller cam
Vortec heads
Fel Pro 1094 shim gasket, .015 thickness (piston is .025 below deck)
Summit air gap dual plane intake

It is 10.1:1 compression and moves out surprisingly well.

It's the one thing old guys always overlook when they rag on a smog-era engine: it's still a small block V8. A nastier small block V8 will bolt in its place.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:39 pm
Tar wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:38 pm

:wat: if you hang strips of cloth from the fishing line to flutter in the wind? Would that scare the little fuckers off?
Interesting idea, maybe some reflective tinsel or something. Good suggestion! Wife needs to approve the "look", even nearly invisible fishing line was met with a raised brow and concern.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:51 pm
I wasn't kidding about the UHaul guy, he was legit perplexed that I was taking a 1980 Corvette anywhere. Must have been a car guy because he mentioned all the reasons nobody wants 80's and how worthless they are. All to which I agreed, but 11k mile original owner made some bit of sense to him.

My old man didn't buy it out of choice, his friend needed some financial help and wouldn't take money for nothing. So it'll be a project to get running and cruise around in. It's long-term prospects with us are up in the air.

I do fit remarkably well in it :doe: The small steering wheel that moves makes a huge difference. I could drive it without issue, so maybe I'll take it if my old man loses interest. It'll be a dog, but at least it's a stick.
If you ever feel like giving it some oomph, the engine I built for the El Camino is very affordable and surprisingly responsive for how mild it is:

Vortec heads

It's the one thing old guys always overlook when they rag on a smog-era engine: it's still a small block V8. A nastier small block V8 will bolt in its place.
Spark plug cables are a stretch right now, 😄
wap

Tar wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:04 pm

Interesting idea, maybe some reflective tinsel or something. Good suggestion! Wife needs to approve the "look", even nearly invisible fishing line was met with a raised brow and concern.
Reflective tinsel is a good idea, too. When I was a kid, we used strips of cloth tied to string strung across the lawn when we put down grass seed. It worked ok to keep birds away. I bet something reflective would work even better.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:11 am We hit a new chain chicken place that’s been popping up, Dave’s Hot Chicken. 5/7. I got the two slider meal, and added an extra tender. Meal comes with some seasoned wrinkle cut fries that were nice a crispy. Went for their medium heat sauce on my chicken, and they give you an outstanding dipping sauce for everything. Kind of sweet like the sauce at Raising Cane’s, but better imo. All the pieces of chicken I got were nice thick, meaty :tits: . Will absolutely be back.
We've seen these and wondered. Good intel.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

Vortec heads

Praise the Lord.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tar wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:04 pm

That didn't work for us, sadly.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:25 pm

Vortec heads

Praise the Lord.
Yep, there is a path to salvation for the thing.
ChrisoftheNorth

Vortec heads

I like this idea a lot. If this thing wins a place in our hearts, it could be fun to build a real engine for it at some point. Your formula sounds like a ripper. :megusta:
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:30 pm

Vortec heads

I like this idea a lot. If this thing wins a place in our hearts, it could be fun to build a real engine for it at some point. Your formula sounds like a ripper. :megusta:
I was actually quite surprised at how well it performed given how mild the engine is.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:22 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:11 am We hit a new chain chicken place that’s been popping up, Dave’s Hot Chicken. 5/7. I got the two slider meal, and added an extra tender. Meal comes with some seasoned wrinkle cut fries that were nice a crispy. Went for their medium heat sauce on my chicken, and they give you an outstanding dipping sauce for everything. Kind of sweet like the sauce at Raising Cane’s, but better imo. All the pieces of chicken I got were nice thick, meaty :tits: . Will absolutely be back.
We've seen these and wondered. Good intel.
Absolutely recommend. I can’t speak to any of the sides besides the fries, but when we go back we’ll try the mac and cheese.

The “sliders” are a full size chicken sandwich. The tenders are served on a slice of bread. They give you ample pickles and sauce on the side, so I stuck some pickles between my bread and tender, wrapped it up like a bastardized white boy taco, and dunked in the sauce to my heart’s content.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:10 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:30 pm
I was actually quite surprised at how well it performed given how mild the engine is.
Those are my favorite builds...when something modest ends up surprising you.

It's tough for this car because it's SO ORIGNAL. The stock engine and everything is just fine, and whatever small value the car maintains is due entirely to its originality. Even though originality sucks.
Huckleberry

Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:49 am
Huckleberry wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:10 pm

It's tough for this car because it's SO ORIGNAL. The stock engine and everything is just fine, and whatever small value the car maintains is due entirely to its originality. Even though originality sucks.
Originality just means you're keeping it for the next owner to appreciate.

However, if you want to be sneaky, I do have some LT1 rods and flattop pistons laying around should you ever want to replace those dished pieces and gain some compression under the factory heads. It obviously requires pulling the engine, but these would be free.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Brahs, I am burnt the fuck out, still haven't unpacked for my small weekend, along with helping with my parents departure and :tits: meeting them and so I hit 50 hours at the hotel this week overtime. So yesterday I worked from 6:30 AM to 10:30 PM with only 2 small lunch/dinner breaks. I was training a new front desk member who usually does housekeeping cause she wanted to seek growth. She is guadalupe, her english is :notbad: compared to most ladies, but definitely needs some improvement for certain customers. Also very soft spoken, which she needs to improve as well when it comes to certain guests. But she's slowly picking up.

On top of that, some dude in a beat up 7th gen civic scratched the rear bumper of the accord when parking, I was unable to get the license plate as he drove off like :stig: in the parking lot. I asked for cameras at the taco place where I was getting my food. Unfortunately there isn't a pov that views the exact location of the incident. I recent just got my dashcam mount for the dashcam I used in the GTI, was gonna install it yesterday until overtime hit. On with the insurance back and forth on the phone.

ALSO will post deets on what happened to my overtime. I had to put a room for out of order for the trashy guests that just checked out of there and demanded refund simply because we were doing our jobs right and they dislike that. Then fucking leave if you have a problem with us.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:05 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:49 am

Originality just means you're keeping it for the next owner to appreciate.

However, if you want to be sneaky, I do have some LT1 rods and flattop pistons laying around should you ever want to replace those dished pieces and gain some compression under the factory heads. It obviously requires pulling the engine, but these would be free.
Interesting thought, though I'm really not sure it's worth the effort. Would probably also change the heads at a minimum, but using the "numbers matching" (if that's a thing on an 80) stock block could be :neat: