DYELB: The Gainz Train

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Calvinball wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:22 pm
SAWCE wrote:
I personally like starting with pull-ups before deads, but if you don't do pull-ups, then starting with deads is good. Do you use a mixed grip on your deadlifts? If so, I would avoid doing biceps superset with them since the underhand gripped arm is already at risk of biceps tear when lifting like that. If you do a double-overhand, then superset away.

My qualm with supersetting the rest of your workout with biceps is that your biceps assist in all your pulling back movements, so if they're fatigued between each set, you aren't working your back as hard as possible.

My suggestion if you need to superset for time constraints would be to mix chest and back and superset them. As antagonistic muscle groups working one between the other won't hurt your performance as much as supersetting with an assisting muscle group.

Then just do a bi/tri superset day.

This looks good. I'd add some calves personally, but if you aren't worried about adding size to them then keep doing what you're doing. If you want to add size. Do both standing and seated/donkey(leg press machine) calve raises. Alternate the seated and donkey each week. 3 sets each 15-20 reps.

Same critique here as for back/bis. You already noticed this on your bench press though.

Other general advice is to do pattern specific warm ups, and save your cardio "warm-up" for after your lift to burn some body fat after lifting.
Don’t really need to burn fat. Cardio speed and endurance are important to me so I put that at the start so I can give it more, rather than at the end when I’m gassed.

Here was my thinking on the superset pairings. I want to make sure I bench and deadlift every week and I like to hit those compound lifts first so I can give as much as I can to them. I felt like if I did a chest/back day then no matter what I would have done at least one exercise for that muscle group before I got to the second big lift, cause if I just did deads then bench, most days that would mean I’ve only got enough time left for 1-2 supersets cause I definitely take much longer on the big lifts. One more set and usually a bit more rest in between.

Maybe I can do deads on their own but then superset bench, or something like that. I’ll have to game plan.

Sent from the Beer Depository
Day 1: deads, back/chest supersets (no flat bench)
Day 2: shoulders
Day 3: legs
Day 4: off
Day 5: bench, bi/tri supersets
Day 6: off/running
Day 7: off

Could something like that work? Three full days should be plenty of time for your chest to recover enough to go give a max effort bench session before some arm works
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

SAWCE wrote:
Calvinball wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:22 pm Don’t really need to burn fat. Cardio speed and endurance are important to me so I put that at the start so I can give it more, rather than at the end when I’m gassed.

Here was my thinking on the superset pairings. I want to make sure I bench and deadlift every week and I like to hit those compound lifts first so I can give as much as I can to them. I felt like if I did a chest/back day then no matter what I would have done at least one exercise for that muscle group before I got to the second big lift, cause if I just did deads then bench, most days that would mean I’ve only got enough time left for 1-2 supersets cause I definitely take much longer on the big lifts. One more set and usually a bit more rest in between.

Maybe I can do deads on their own but then superset bench, or something like that. I’ll have to game plan.

Could something like that work? Three full days should be plenty of time for your chest to recover enough to go give a max effort bench session before some arm works
:notbad:

Fuck now I have to redo everything in jefit.

:therapist:
SAWCE

Calvinball wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:35 pm
SAWCE wrote:

:notbad:

Fuck now I have to redo everything in jefit.

Hope you like it and it works for you
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:40 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:14 pm

Easy enough for everything but the scale. I will check the BX but doubtful. There is no Walmart, Target, or commissary here. Im deployed right meow. Amazon is about my only option if its not on base. Hence why prime takes a week+.

I just want you to know. I will still eat crap one day of the week guaranteed. Pasta friday is the only day with enjoyable food. I am having spaghetti and meatballs every week.
:word: I forgot you're deployed right now. How long are you out there for? If getting a scale is too much of a hassle, just try to make an effort to start grabbing twice as much meat at every meal as you are low, cut back on fats and processed carbs and fill up with veggies instead.

And one cheat day a week is fine. You won't get optimal results, but you can still do some solid work. If pasta is the main draw of that day, then have that meal, but try to keep the rest of the food that day a bit healthier. Also, to minimize the effects of the pasta, load up on meat, and eat all of that off your plate before you start in on the noodles. 1) the meat will fill you up and you'll naturally eat less processed carbs. 2) the protein will slow the digestion of the carbs which will help your insulin response to the carbs and your body wont have to flood out all this insulin to clear the glucose in your bloodstream, which will help you stay more insulin sensitive.
Yeah id have to carry a scale around all day to weight my meals. Which would not only be difficult but also super odd to be sitting in a chow hall of 100 people trying to weight food I get from a cafeteria server.

I can certainly increase protein and cut down carbs/fats. The main draw on pasta day is actually the meatballs. I want all the meat/balls in and around my mouth. The pasta is secondary. I could probably just cut that out 75% of the time.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

:sawce: how do you warm up for squats/deads?
Barnes93cb

I’m still super sore. I should have stuck to the program
Barnes93cb

My food scale never came in the mail. However I have tracked about every meal or snack for the past week or so.

Other than a few slip ups this weekend I don’t think I’m doing terrible. If anyone wants to take a look and give tips. I’m all ears. Btw our chow hall staff are in the middle of transitions. So options kinda suck. Which makes eating clean difficult.
SAWCE

Barnes93cb wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:26 pm My food scale never came in the mail. However I have tracked about every meal or snack for the past week or so.

Other than a few slip ups this weekend I don’t think I’m doing terrible. If anyone wants to take a look and give tips. I’m all ears. Btw our chow hall staff are in the middle of transitions. So options kinda suck. Which makes eating clean difficult.
Sure, post it up and I'll look through it and try to offer some constructive criticism.
Barnes93cb

I don’t have computer access except at work. So this is all from my phone notepad. Hopefully the formatting isn’t terrible.

Food intake

9 March
Breakfast
Scrambled eggs(3-4) cheese, green pepper two sausage patties
Two cups coffee

Lunch
6 meatballs, small grilled chicken breast, 2ish cups cooked pasta, 1.5 cups raw cucumbers, pint skim milk
One cup coffee

Dinner
10 meatballs, small grilled chicken breast, 2 cups raw cucumbers, pint skim milk

10 March
Breakfast
4egg whites scrambled with cheese, green peppers and four sausage links
24oz caramel latte

Lunch
4 egg whites scrambled with cheese green peppers and three sausage links
One cup coffee

Dinner
Two chicken breasts baked
One cup raw cucumbers
Half a baked potato
3 shots Jameson
1 7 up soda

11 March
Breakfast
Sleep

Lunch
Chicken enchilada, chicken breast, 1cup steamed corn, 1 cup raw cucumbers
32oz iced caramel latte

Dinner
Two chicken breasts
Half cup baked beans
One cup steamed corn
One cup raw cucumbers

12 March
Breakfast
4 egg whites scrambled with green peppers and two sausage patties
One cup coffee

Lunch
Two chicken breasts
One cup steamed carrots
One cup raw cucumbers

Dinner
5 teriyaki chicken strips
8 steamed Brussels sprouts
1/2 cup steamed peas.

13 March
Breakfast
Two cups of coffee

Lunch
Taco salad. (Bad)

Dinner
Same as lunch

14 March
Breakfast
4 egg whites scrambled with green peppers and five sausage links
One cup coffee

Lunch
Two chicken breasts
Two cups peas
One cup of coffee

Dinner
Two bean burgers no cheese no bun
Half cup of tuna

15 March
Breakfast
Cantaloupe and sliced chicken sammich

Lunch
Two chicken breasts
Carrots cucumbers

Dinner
Two chicken schwarma

16 March
Forgot lunch and breakfast but assume similar to previous days

Dinner (bad)
Arby’s crispy chicken sammich combo with large curly fry and 7up

17 March
Breakfast
Eggs and sausage

Lunch
Chicken parm with one cup carrots and one cup cucumbers

Dinner bad
Arby’s chicken sammich not crispy medium fry and 7up

18 March
Breakfast banana

Lunch
Lamb gyro with fries

Dinner
Chicken, steak, lamb, fries, pita and hummus, 1 coke

19 March
Breakfast bowl of smart start cereal with a banana

Lunch
Two breaded baked chicken breasts with one cup sweet potatoes and one cup green beans

Dinner
One chicken breast
One cup raw cucumbers
Two cups Mac and cheese
SAWCE

Reviewing.. what did your weight do during this week? Gain weight? Lose weight?
Barnes93cb

SAWCE wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:42 pm Reviewing.. what did your weight do during this week? Gain weight? Lose weight?
Lost 3lbs but only worked out 2x. Walked a minimum of 4 miles a day. Max about 10miles on the 18th.
SAWCE

Barnes93cb wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:02 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:42 pm Reviewing.. what did your weight do during this week? Gain weight? Lose weight?
Lost 3lbs but only worked out 2x. Walked a minimum of 4 miles a day. Max about 10miles on the 18th.
Solid start. Few quick tips:
Skip the sausages and eat extra eggs instead.
Next week on pasta days, grab slightly less pasta than you did this week.
If possible, plan to workout on the days you have pasta, and preferably within an hour or two of eating the pasta either before and after.

Simple tweaks like that will add up over time. Try to reduce the amount of pasta each week for an increased caloric deficit as you go. Working out more will dig that deficit deeper too.
Barnes93cb

SAWCE wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:08 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:02 pm

If possible, plan to workout on the days you have pasta, and preferably within an hour or two of eating the pasta either before and after.

Simple tweaks like that will add up over time. Try to reduce the amount of pasta each week for an increased caloric deficit as you go. Working out more will dig that deficit deeper too.
Cutting out more of the pasta is simple. Working out within 2 hours is impossible due to work schedule.

And the sausage is to make the eggs taste better when I cant get egg whites. The pre scrambled egges are powdered disgustingness. When I can get whites I will skip the sausage.

Ill be working out more in a few days. Just sick at the moment and dont want to spread my germs throughout the gym.
SAWCE

Barnes93cb wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:59 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:08 am

Cutting out more of the pasta is simple. Working out within 2 hours is impossible due to work schedule.

And the sausage is to make the eggs taste better when I cant get egg whites. The pre scrambled egges are powdered disgustingness. When I can get whites I will skip the sausage.

Ill be working out more in a few days. Just sick at the moment and dont want to spread my germs throughout the gym.
Cool man. We’ll just keep finding small changes we can make to help hit your goal. If you post up a log like this every week along with what your weight did that week I can compare them and see what else to suggest to keep you going.
SAWCE

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:58 am
SAWCE wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:33 am

I'd suggest a kettlebell or two like :fax: said, or get a cheap used barbell off craigslist and a couple of 10 and 25lb bumper plates, then find some full body complexes to do in your garages. Full body workout in 15-20 minutes is pretty easy with those. You won't build crazy strength, but your conditioning will be insane.
https://www.t-nation.com/training/rebui ... -complexes

https://www.t-nation.com/training/brutal-complexes

https://www.t-nation.com/training/complexes-made-simple

https://www.t-nation.com/training/screw ... d-physique

Each of those articles has at least one good barbell complex you can do.. one I especially like the look of for full body is:

•Row: x 8
•Clean: x 8
•Front squat: x 8
•Military press: x 8
•Back squat: x 8
•Good mornings: x 8

HIt a few rounds of that every Monday Wednesday and Friday and you'll be in pretty good shape. Move through the whole thing without setting the bar down, then you get to rest after the last rep of Good mornings. Slowly increase your reps for some progressive overload.
Here you go :fax:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:36 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:58 am

https://www.t-nation.com/training/rebui ... -complexes

https://www.t-nation.com/training/brutal-complexes

https://www.t-nation.com/training/complexes-made-simple

https://www.t-nation.com/training/screw ... d-physique

Each of those articles has at least one good barbell complex you can do.. one I especially like the look of for full body is:

•Row: x 8
•Clean: x 8
•Front squat: x 8
•Military press: x 8
•Back squat: x 8
•Good mornings: x 8

HIt a few rounds of that every Monday Wednesday and Friday and you'll be in pretty good shape. Move through the whole thing without setting the bar down, then you get to rest after the last rep of Good mornings. Slowly increase your reps for some progressive overload.
so, reading thes it looks like they are a combo cardio/muscle building tool. should I do these as a cardio warm up then hit the heavy weights or vice versa?
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:02 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:36 pm

so, reading thes it looks like they are a combo cardio/muscle building tool. should I do these as a cardio warm up then hit the heavy weights or vice versa?
It is a combo cardio/muscle building tool, so these would be your lifting. You can do extra steady state cardio at the end if you really want to kill some extra time, but this is going to cover both bases together.

If you're looking for more of a lifting routine, you'll like what I'm sending you.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:07 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:02 pm

It is a combo cardio/muscle building tool, so these would be your lifting. You can do extra steady state cardio at the end if you really want to kill some extra time, but this is going to cover both bases together.

If you're looking for more of a lifting routine, you'll like what I'm sending you.
Ok thanks!
brain go brrrrrr
Apex

Squats erryday! :massles:
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:11 pm Squats erryday! :massles:
I moved my squat weight up to 265 last Friday. Four sets of 8. Not a lot of weight, but it's killer after having done extensions and curls right before them. I'm gonna really try to grind out all four stes of 10 this week so I can hit that 275 soon.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

I actually have been doing legs every workout-day for awhile.

I may be fat, but my legs actually look :notbad: these days. Calves too.

Its just time for me to get serious about dropping some more body fat.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:29 pm

:fuckyeah:

You are putting up some solid #'s IIRC :fax: :like:
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:17 pm
I moved my squat weight up to 265 last Friday. Four sets of 8. Not a lot of weight, but it's killer after having done extensions and curls right before them. I'm gonna really try to grind out all four stes of 10 this week so I can hit that 275 soon.
265 for 10's is :notbad: my friend. :massles:

I'm a :pussy: at 245 for fahves still, but I'm only getting in the gym about once a week right now.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Apex wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:35 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:29 pm

yea i can squat a few reps at 315 but its honestly my wrists and forarms that limit more reps at that weight. I work with 225-275 depending on the day and how I'm feeling. I also warm up and finish with front squats at a lower weight... warm up with 135 and finish at 165.

seated incline is leg press is at 495 at the moment. IE that level where loading and unloading plates is a pain in the ass.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:47 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:35 pm

yea i can squat a few reps at 315 but its honestly my wrists and forarms that limit more reps at that weight. I work with 225-275 depending on the day and how I'm feeling. I also warm up and finish with front squats at a lower weight... warm up with 135 and finish at 165.

seated incline is leg press is at 495 at the moment. IE that level where loading and unloading plates is a pain in the ass.
Wrists and forearms are limiting squats? Can you get a pic of you under the bar?