Kamry XSE impressions and further updates

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

[user not found] wrote:Typical of the segment means they're all meant to go fast in a straight line for 0-60 stats, get good MPG for the maxfax, and look good in a garage for your neighbors to ogle and envy the badge.

They're not real performance cars until you get into the M range.

That being said, it's a good balance between 328 spec and M spec for DD purposes.
At this point I can't imagine a 328i I'd rather GTI for sure.

Honestly all this car needs is a tune and tires. I am just bitching because I think it should have had better front tires from the factory. And IMO this is a performance car... 50/50 weight 300hp/300tq on a super tight suspension.
max225

It is interesting, my buddy picked up a 235M sport around same time as me... exact same complaints... car is under-tired.
max225

Melon wrote:Tune it.
If I can get away with it... I will... It adds 50 RWHP and 80 RWTQ which would be :mindblown:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

maxtdi wrote:
Melon wrote:Tune it.
If I can get away with it... I will... It adds 50 RWHP and 80 RWTQ which would be :mindblown:
:notbad: :doit:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Gotta drive the car first. Lack of power isn't my main complaint...

Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

[user not found] wrote:
maxtdi wrote:It is interesting, my buddy picked up a 235M sport around same time as me... exact same complaints... car is under-tired.
People don't know how to handle neutral handling or oversteer.

Thus, all cars are tuned to plow. :(
:dat:

When the front gets a little loose
Grow same balls, give it the goose
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
max225

This car should have 245 up front and 265s out back from the factory...

But really it should be 265s all around
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

maxtdi wrote:This car should have 245 up front and 265s out back from the factory...

You almost can't put too much tire on a car. Even a 2000 lb miata handles better with 275s all around.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Tires + Tune.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
max225

troyguitar wrote:
maxtdi wrote:This car should have 245 up front and 265s out back from the factory...

You almost can't put too much tire on a car. Even a 2000 lb miata handles better with 275s all around.
True ... but there is some DD limit somewhere due to reduced turning circle etc
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

maxtdi wrote:
troyguitar wrote: :word:

I agree. I haven't been in any cars like that though, they're all either loud or not.
Id think the NPP ls powered cars are like that ?
Even with NPP engaged the Corvette is loud compared to the Bimmer. You can get NPP for your car, BTW, a dealer add, but it's ridiculously priced and you're renting.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Interesting gripe.....top fuel dragster front tires. The 440i is like that as well....225s up front, 255s in back. 8 inch ramz in front 8.5 in back. I wonder what happens if you snagged a couple of 8.5's for the front?

Do you have summer tires or A/S?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote:Interesting gripe.....top fuel dragster front tires. The 440i is like that as well....225s up front, 255s in back. 8 inch ramz in front 8.5 in back. I wonder what happens if you snagged a couple of 8.5's for the front?

Do you have summer tires or A/S?
Summer I believe... I'd have to double check.
max225

Desertbreh wrote:
maxtdi wrote: Id think the NPP ls powered cars are like that ?
Even with NPP engaged the Corvette is loud compared to the Bimmer. You can get NPP for your car, BTW, a dealer add, but it's ridiculously priced and you're renting.
Looked into it... I can get it for high triple digits... Maybe less from a forum bro. And no interest in spending money on this car... I paid a lot extra to rent this for the performance. I could have had a 328 for 2/3 of the price.
max225

Desertbreh wrote:
maxtdi wrote: Id think the NPP ls powered cars are like that ?
Looked into it... I can get it for high triple digits... Maybe less from a forum bro. And no interest in spending money on this car... I paid a lot extra to rent this for the performance. I could have had a 328 for 2/3 of the price.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

N55 is generally a reliable motor right. Way more reliable than the N54. In my brief searches that seems to be the case.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

[user not found] wrote:Typical of the segment means they're all meant to go fast in a straight line for 0-60 stats, get good MPG for the maxfax, and look good in a garage for your neighbors to ogle and envy the badge.

They're not real performance cars until you get into the M range.

That being said, it's a good balance between 328 spec and M spec for DD purposes.
Nice post!
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Gberg2119 wrote:N55 is generally a reliable motor right. Way more reliable than the N54. In my brief searches that seems to be the case.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Yes. Its a totally different league of reliability than the N54, which is probably one of the least reliable motors on the roads today.
Johnny_P

maxtdi wrote:
Desertbreh wrote:
I dunno man, I think it would be worth doing. I've heard that going to a square setup really reduces understeer on these cars.

Sorry to hear about the power complaints. I thought the M235i was pretty quick but it certainly didn't feel HOLY SHIT fast. I think a lot of that has to do with how isolated you are from the road and noise. It's a quiet car, and quiet cars can feel slower than they actually are. Have you tried it in sport mode yet?

Glad you're enjoying the rest of the car though!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

:impressive: stuff in here.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Johnny_P wrote:
maxtdi wrote:
I dunno man, I think it would be worth doing. I've heard that going to a square setup really reduces understeer on these cars.

Sorry to hear about the power complaints. I thought the M235i was pretty quick but it certainly didn't feel HOLY SHIT fast. I think a lot of that has to do with how isolated you are from the road and noise. It's a quiet car, and quiet cars can feel slower than they actually are. Have you tried it in sport mode yet?

Will update more once I am going to put real time behind the seat.

So far I drove the car back on Thursday 50 miles of freeway only... And yesterday 2 miles to show the car to my dad. I went WOT with my dad who is a very STOUT gent... and it was kind of :disappoint: but he added 300lbs to the car.
I need to play with modes etc...
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

maxtdi wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: I dunno man, I think it would be worth doing. I've heard that going to a square setup really reduces understeer on these cars.

Will update more once I am going to put real time behind the seat.

So far I drove the car back on Thursday 50 miles of freeway only... And yesterday 2 miles to show the car to my dad. I went WOT with my dad who is a very STOUT gent... and it was kind of :disappoint: but he added 300lbs to the car.
I need to play with modes etc...
Throw some AZN poon at him so he can get some cardio in and drop some weight :iono:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: I dunno man, I think it would be worth doing. I've heard that going to a square setup really reduces understeer on these cars.

Yeah. I'd gladly take a bit more engine/road noise to make things feel fast.
Yep when I get the 440i first thing I'm going to do is run a catless downpipe that dumps right in front of rear wheels. Hopefully I can see some flames at night.
max225

Engine noise is wanted in a performance car IMO. Road noise... it depends on where you live I suppose. On the roads around me it can be unbearable. But amazingly enough they started repaving... finally...
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote:
[user not found] wrote:
Yeah. I'd gladly take a bit more engine/road noise to make things feel fast.
Yep when I get the 440i first thing I'm going to do is run a catless downpipe that dumps right in front of rear wheels. Hopefully I can see some flames at night.
In4review