Kamry XSE impressions and further updates

Strut your greasy stuff!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:44 pm Ladies and gents this is it... I FUCKING LOVE THIS CAR. I had a dentist appointment this am... then bombed down the worst roads ever in the worst country ever in the worst car ever to work.

It was plain :amazing:
The sound is epic, it was the first time I took it to 7500, when you let off it gives off a huge baffled fart type noise. This thing is fucking fast... not uncontrollably fast though since the brakes and actual :265: tires up front and :285: in the back actually put the power mostly down.

The seats are epic, the suspension is amazing. There is 0 wet noodle in this car, unlike the 4 other F30s I have driven. (335M sport, 430 M sport, 430, 328) I guess this is why BMW gave it is own chassis code of F80.

I have never driven a 4 door car that came close to this in terms of rawness, fun, refinement. The whole package is unbeatable. I am in :wub: nothing came close... nothing. This car is pretty much everything I ever wanted in a vehicle... and it has 4 doors a very usable trunk and rear seat ass heaters... :mindblown:
Rear seat ass heaters would make my :doge: happy. :notbad:

No doubt it's an awesome car on a back road. Also interested to see how it handles the traffic/freeway slogs of daily driving. How the DCT is for normal use, etc.

Car sounds totally :fuckyeah: ! I want one! You haven't had a reaction like this to any car I've seen you review before.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

I can't resist so:
////MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :) :D
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:48 pm Image

My terrible way to work this am ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those awful US roads :gag:

Glad the car search worked out to something awesome man. What's the buyout on the Poonmobile? :lolol:

I love the M3, looking forward to hearing more about it.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:54 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:44 pm Ladies and gents this is it... I FUCKING LOVE THIS CAR. I had a dentist appointment this am... then bombed down the worst roads ever in the worst country ever in the worst car ever to work.

It was plain :amazing:
The sound is epic, it was the first time I took it to 7500, when you let off it gives off a huge baffled fart type noise. This thing is fucking fast... not uncontrollably fast though since the brakes and actual :265: tires up front and :285: in the back actually put the power mostly down.

The seats are epic, the suspension is amazing. There is 0 wet noodle in this car, unlike the 4 other F30s I have driven. (335M sport, 430 M sport, 430, 328) I guess this is why BMW gave it is own chassis code of F80.

I have never driven a 4 door car that came close to this in terms of rawness, fun, refinement. The whole package is unbeatable. I am in :wub: nothing came close... nothing. This car is pretty much everything I ever wanted in a vehicle... and it has 4 doors a very usable trunk and rear seat ass heaters... :mindblown:
Rear seat ass heaters would make my :doge: happy. :notbad:

No doubt it's an awesome car on a back road. Also interested to see how it handles the traffic/freeway slogs of daily driving. How the DCT is for normal use, etc.

Car sounds totally :fuckyeah: ! I want one! You haven't had a reaction like this to any car I've seen you review before.
Yea, I think I am pretty picky and peculiar when it comes to what I like and I point out all the pros and cons that most ppl take as "hate". This car is literally nearly perfect for me. The car that came close to this car (in terms of how much I liked it) was the 370z, but it had a shittier transmission, no interior space ( i barely fit and my head touched the ceiling) and no back seats and epic road noise that made phone conversations and sometimes even normal conversations impossible. Uf the Z was mode DD worthy it would have likely been my fav as it was around 26k and this bmw is double that :(.

So we can go down the path of what I don't like.
DCT in DD coniditions, just like the DSG it comes with the exact same drawbacks, I don't care what anyone says, they are bullshitting you if they tell you that it is "smooth". You have to adjust your driving to it and then it becomes ok.
1. You have to roll into the throttle or wait 1/4 second after getting off the brakes, as it takes a bit to engage
2. You can't decelerate/brake smoothly, you always feel the shifts and sometimes it even brakes you sooner than you thought. It isn't terrible but it is different than a traditional automatic which would be "broken" if it did the same
3. Coasting is odd sometimes, it isn't linear like on any other car as sometimes you feel the clutches engage and disengage.
4. I don't believe that it skips gears, it seems to act sequentially, I know in the manual mode it is for sure sequential only

I actually think the DSG is smoother than the DCT in this thing.

However flipside is... you get 6 modes for the transmission, and this transmission actually encourages you to shift it, vs automatics which don't. The shifts are naturally lightning fast, noticeably faster than the 8 speed in the fake sport. And it basically shoves you when it does 2/3 shifts. Overall just epic at the limit. Also it cruises at 2000rpm in 7th at 70 so mpg should be ok.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:04 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:48 pm Image

My terrible way to work this am ...

Glad the car search worked out to something awesome man. What's the buyout on the Poonmobile? :lolol:

He actually got 7k off the sticker price when he got it. Sticker is 78,250, current buy out is 62k, will be 50,5k when I am done with it. Which is actually close to the value of the car.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:08 pm

He actually got 7k off the sticker price when he got it. Sticker is 78,250, current buy out is 62k, will be 50,5k when I am done with it. Which is actually close to the value of the car.
When is the lease up?

You'll have to choose between $50k :stig: and $50k :jeep: . :notbad: :troywax:
max225

This is going to sound weird... BMW announced they won't build the M3 after may 2018, The thought of special ordering a Yaz Marina M3 comp package sedan crossed my mind, this car is THAT good. The only thing I don't like about my current car is the color.

It is fairly neat as it is completely blacked out from the FUCKtory
Black Badges
Black Kidney grilles
Black window surrounds
There is not a single shiny bit on the car outside of the wheels.
Johnny_P

Yeah 2015's are right around 45-55k on the used market depending on options. This one seems loaded, no? So 50k seems about right.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:10 pm
When is the lease up?

9/3/19. I am not paying 50k for a jeep. I think I made that clear by getting this thing. :yikes:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:10 pm This is going to sound weird... BMW announced they won't build the M3 after may 2018, The thought of special ordering a Yaz Marina M3 comp package sedan crossed my mind, this car is THAT good. The only thing I don't like about my current car is the color.

It is fairly neat as it is completely blacked out from the FUCKtory
Black Badges
Black Kidney grilles
Black window surrounds
There is not a single shiny bit on the car outside of the wheels.
I love black cars if you can keep them clean. Killer. Black M3 with the white interior would be :tits: to me if I had a place to wash it. The blue is rather smurfy in my opinion and looks odd on this car.

I like the dog pee yellow doe. So take my opinion with a heap of salt.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:11 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:10 pm

When is the lease up?

9/3/19. I am not paying 50k for a jeep. I think I made that clear by getting this thing. :yikes:
M3 > Heep any day of the week if you have the ability to enjoy the car and aren't driving over the surface of the moon daily.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:10 pm
Yeah 2015's are right around 45-55k on the used market depending on options. This one seems loaded, no? So 50k seems about right.
Exactly... and this one is a comp package which is rare, and apparently a "must have". I haven't driven a base M3 so given how much I love this thing... to take a step down and get less power and a more noodely suspension.

That said a base model m3 on 18s is right around 68k and they have at least 10% sitting on the hood.
max225

The question remains where will they be 18 months from now... I am thinking probably closer to the mid/low 40s. No one buys cars nowadays. At current market values the "Buy out" makes sense.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:14 pm

Exactly... and this one is a comp package which is rare, and apparently a "must have". I haven't driven a base M3 so given how much I love this thing... to take a step down and get less power and a more noodely suspension.

That said a base model m3 on 18s is right around 68k and they have at least 10% sitting on the hood.
Oh word? That's not horribad then I guess. :notbad:

I'd personally want the smallerish wheels. But I'm not an enthusiast. I like those machined face split 5 spokes they put on these cars. In silver. I'd blow out so many 20s driving around here that I'd be flat out poor.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:16 pm

The question remains where will they be 18 months from now... I am thinking probably closer to the mid/low 40s. No one buys cars nowadays. At current market values the "Buy out" makes sense.
If these dip into low 40s I'd consider it.

:want:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:18 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:14 pm

I'd personally want the smallerish wheels. But I'm not an enthusiast. I like those machined face split 5 spokes they put on these cars. In silver. I'd blow out so many 20s driving around here that I'd be flat out poor.
There is no question this car sucks over big pot holes or bad expansion joints. I have already adjusted my driving to it. However, considering how quickly it can change direction, they can be avoided rather easily. But yea... this is not a 0FG big gulp sipping vehicle.

The tradeoff is handling. You can't have your cake and eat it to. I love how flat this thing is through turns, and how much mechanical grip there is, I haven't tested the limits yet, but this comes close to my C5 in terms of mechanical grip when that thing was on 265/305s.

I just can't believe someone would say an E46 M3 is comparable and or better. It is an absolute pile compared to this car.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:19 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:16 pm

No carboner roof no care.
max225

Davestr

Max - sux to have to deal with such choices. New M3, buyout leased M3 etc etc. I can ONLY imagine the lack of sleep you endure with such debates weighing upon you :)

So - //////////MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM LOL :)
max225

Davestr wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:24 pm Max - sux to have to deal with such choices. New M3, buyout leased M3 etc etc. I can ONLY imagine the lack of sleep you endure with such debates weighing upon you :)

So - //////////MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM LOL :)
Life is good right now even though obviously driving in America is just torture ;).
Davestr

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:26 pm
Davestr wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:24 pm Max - sux to have to deal with such choices. New M3, buyout leased M3 etc etc. I can ONLY imagine the lack of sleep you endure with such debates weighing upon you :)

Life is good right now even though obviously driving in America is just torture ;).
No tortue.....not in an ///////MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM lol :)
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:23 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:19 pm

I like the painted roof though :iono: Not a deal breaker for me either way. I'd place the seats being oyster higher up than the roof being CF or not.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:28 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:23 pm
I like the painted roof though :iono: Not a deal breaker for me either way. I'd place the seats being oyster higher up than the roof being CF or not.
Carbon Fiber roof is like a signature feature IMO. It takes out 80-100lbs from the very top of the car since this way you don't have to get a broken moonroof. The moonroof on the 3 series is kind of lame anyways, pretty small unlike those in the C class. I never used it as is and it gives me extra headroom which I always need.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:22 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:18 pm

There is no question this car sucks over big pot holes or bad expansion joints. I have already adjusted my driving to it. However, considering how quickly it can change direction, they can be avoided rather easily. But yea... this is not a 0FG big gulp sipping vehicle.

The tradeoff is handling. You can't have your cake and eat it to. I love how flat this thing is through turns, and how much mechanical grip there is, I haven't tested the limits yet, but this comes close to my C5 in terms of mechanical grip when that thing was on 265/305s.

I just can't believe someone would say an E46 M3 is comparable and or better. It is an absolute pile compared to this car.
Yeah an old ass car like an E46 will feel like hot garbage compared to something new like this.

Ride sucks in both sport and pillow mode on the shocks? That's a little annoying I guess but there are limits to what a suspension system can do, and this places priority on handling as you mentioned so that's that. Does it ride more bouncy or more crashy?
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:31 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:22 pm

Yeah an old ass car like an E46 will feel like hot garbage compared to something new like this.

Ride sucks in both sport and pillow mode on the shocks? That's a little annoying I guess but there are limits to what a suspension system can do, and this places priority on handling as you mentioned so that's that. Does it ride more bouncy or more crashy?
I think the issue is the wheels (dubs), the suspension is good in "comfort" pretty close to an STI I'd say. However in sport + it is firmer for sure.
The base mode (comfort) is 20-30% firmer than the "sport" mode in the M sport. I can't use any actual metric to quantify it. I think a base model M3 with 18s would ride quite well though. I wonder what my car would ride like on 18s.