Johnny_P's Street Parking Palooza

Strut your greasy stuff!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Winter marshmallows are back on. I took a pic but faptalk is borked. :whocares:

Got em on in like 30 mins which is :notbad: since I had to cart the wheels to/from my house which was like 100' away.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

Johnny_P

Kinda sorta getting the :dong: for a basic bitch A5.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:Kinda sorta getting the :dong: for a basic bitch A5.
...and I kind of want a 2018 WRX with the new performance pack (recarbros + sunroof delete and wider wheels).

:plac: is dumb :doe:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:44 pm Image
:jimp:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:00 pm
Johnny_P wrote:Kinda sorta getting the :dong: for a basic bitch A5.
...and I kind of want a 2018 WRX with the new performance pack (recarbros + sunroof delete and wider wheels).

:plac: is dumb :doe:
Well, the rex, especially the sport one, won't lose a ton of value in 3 years or so. As far as new cars go they're not a bad pick. Of course you're out tax and have to pay a finance charge assuming you're not dipping into the gold coin fund. Not exactly a cheap thing to do, but for new car purchases not exactly a reckless decision.

:iono:

Worth a test drive I think?
troyguitar

Eh, between interest and property taxes and depreciation and insurance it would likely cost a solid $15k more than the Vibe over 3 years. There's no way I'd enjoy it that much.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote:Image
Looks good mang!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Johnny_P

Renewed my registration. At the end of this week I will have had the car for a year. :mindblown: how quickly that goes by.

Anyways.

I really truly do love this car. I walk away from it and give it the second look. I always walk away from it smiling and happy. And that's what really matters as an enthusiast, isn't it? Sure it has some drawbacks, the radio could be better, there are rattles and vibrations, it rides a bit bouncy, and the throttle tip in is annoyingly fast. But it has so much charm and character that is completely missing from modern cars. I find that it's more entertaining and less rage inducing to drive in the city with this car than it was in the GTI. And it's far more capable and ridiculous on a back road than that car could ever hope to be. The eradication of understeer and wheel hop has changed my outlook on fun cars entirely. This car always puts the power down, and understeer is completely absent unless you're on marshmallow winter tires but that's a separate issue.

I toy around with the idea of getting something with an automatic and more sedate demeanor, but really I'd miss the hell out of this thing if I did that. In a few years it'll happen but for now I'll continue to enjoy my ridiculous rice rocket. IMO, it's very hard to top this car if you can only have one vehicle and want an involving, fun, and rewarding car to drive and use every day.

:fuckyeah:
Johnny_P

Also my LED fog lights should show up this week. Maybe today, even.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I wonder how you would feel about the sti if you drove around 12-15k miles a year ... putting lowish miles on an enthusiast vehicle seems fun for sure
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:26 am Renewed my registration. At the end of this week I will have had the car for a year. :mindblown: how quickly that goes by.

Anyways.

I really truly do love this car. I walk away from it and give it the second look. I always walk away from it smiling and happy. And that's what really matters as an enthusiast, isn't it? Sure it has some drawbacks, the radio could be better, there are rattles and vibrations, it rides a bit bouncy, and the throttle tip in is annoyingly fast. But it has so much charm and character that is completely missing from modern cars. I find that it's more entertaining and less rage inducing to drive in the city with this car than it was in the GTI. And it's far more capable and ridiculous on a back road than that car could ever hope to be. The eradication of understeer and wheel hop has changed my outlook on fun cars entirely. This car always puts the power down, and understeer is completely absent unless you're on marshmallow winter tires but that's a separate issue.

I toy around with the idea of getting something with an automatic and more sedate demeanor, but really I'd miss the hell out of this thing if I did that. In a few years it'll happen but for now I'll continue to enjoy my ridiculous rice rocket. IMO, it's very hard to top this car if you can only have one vehicle and want an involving, fun, and rewarding car to drive and use every day.

:fuckyeah:
Totally agree with all of :dat:, especially that last sentence. It was the only car I test drove that really felt markedly different from the others, that made getting in and firing it up feel like a special occasion.

The only thing that has me annoyed, really, is how unrefined the car is on highway trips. At 75-80mph, this thing is LOUD, the engine is spinning at 3k plus, there's tons of road noise, and after a couple hours the stiffer ride does get more noticeable for some reason. We should really just take the RDX anywhere we go that's more than an hour away, but I just felt like driving the Subie to see family over Thanksgiving and was sort of tired of the thing after 2.5 hours.

Meh. The tradeoffs are worth it. It's been warm enough the last couple days to put the windows down, enjoy the burble, and romp around the city just for fun. The car really makes everyday trips entertaining and gives you every excuse to find the long way home. For a sedan this practical, IMO that's all you can ask for.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:26 amotally agree with all of :dat:, especially that last sentence. It was the only car I test drove that really felt markedly different from the others, that made getting in and firing it up feel like a special occasion.

The only thing that has me annoyed, really, is how unrefined the car is on highway trips. At 75-80mph, this thing is LOUD, the engine is spinning at 3k plus, there's tons of road noise, and after a couple hours the stiffer ride does get more noticeable for some reason. We should really just take the RDX anywhere we go that's more than an hour away, but I just felt like driving the Subie to see family over Thanksgiving and was sort of tired of the thing after 2.5 hours.

Meh. The tradeoffs are worth it. It's been warm enough the last couple days to put the windows down, enjoy the burble, and romp around the city just for fun. The car really makes everyday trips entertaining and gives you every excuse to find the long way home. For a sedan this practical, IMO that's all you can ask for.
It has its trade-offs. I don't mind it for road trips but I haven't attempted a 12 hour trip with it. It's a bit louder than my GTI was but not unbearable. The ride is most noticeable IMO, it can be bouncy at times.

Everything else felt like it was trying to be a GTI. The Mazda 3S, 9th Gen Civic Si, WRX even all felt like they were following in the GTI foot steps. STI is a complete departure from that.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:23 am I wonder how you would feel about the sti if you drove around 12-15k miles a year ... putting lowish miles on an enthusiast vehicle seems fun for sure
Got me. I haven't driven that much..... ever. But if I drove that much I would have prioritized gas mileage much more than I did, and wouldn't have been looking at this car.

Also if I were doing all highway type driving... this car isn't made for straight highway trips. It's best on back roads. Something like the GTI is really unbeatable if you're doing non-stop highway driving.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:16 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:23 am I wonder how you would feel about the sti if you drove around 12-15k miles a year ... putting lowish miles on an enthusiast vehicle seems fun for sure
Got me. I haven't driven that much..... ever. But if I drove that much I would have prioritized gas mileage much more than I did, and wouldn't have been looking at this car.

Also if I were doing all highway type driving... this car isn't made for straight highway trips. It's best on back roads. Something like the GTI is really unbeatable if you're doing non-stop highway driving.
Yea... comfort/fun equation is a hard one to come by, which is why ppl tend to move upmarket... BMW M/Fake sport and MB C43AMG are the best blends of both... same goes for mustangs/cameros if you wanted to stick to Murica fuck yea.

BRZ/STI/Miata are more fun for sure... but they are also more compromised as dailys.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:20 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:16 pm

Yea... comfort/fun equation is a hard one to come by, which is why ppl tend to move upmarket... BMW M/Fake sport and MB C43AMG are the best blends of both... same goes for mustangs/cameros if you wanted to stick to Murica fuck yea.

BRZ/STI/Miata are more fun for sure... but they are also more compromised as dailys.
That's the problem, prioritizing fun. I didn't think the 2 series was much more fun than a GTI :iono: Faster, sure, nicer inside, yeah, but fun? About the same really.

I probably could have rolled the dice on a Cayman or 997. Depreciation would have been the same as the STI but nicer car overall.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:27 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:20 pm

That's the problem, prioritizing fun. I didn't think the 2 series was much more fun than a GTI :iono: Faster, sure, nicer inside, yeah, but fun? About the same really.

I probably could have rolled the dice on a Cayman or 997. Depreciation would have been the same as the STI but nicer car overall.
Yea I am not sure a 2 series is more fun than a gti... or a 3 series. But it is a nicer car that doesn't look like a minivan or someone who got it as a first car in highschool on 10 year stretch pay.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:32 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:27 pm

Yea I am not sure a 2 series is more fun than a gti... or a 3 series. But it is a nicer car that doesn't look like a minivan or someone who got it as a first car in highschool on 10 year stretch pay.
Yeah that. Other bennies are it drives the right wheels and can be had with a bigger dick engine.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:32 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:32 pm

Yeah that. Other bennies are it drives the right wheels and can be had with a bigger dick engine.
The mk7 GTI is plenty fast, I don't feel like the 2.slow is underpowering it, however in a 2.0 BMW it feels wrong... unless you rock it in sport only.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:19 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:32 pm

The mk7 GTI is plenty fast, I don't feel like the 2.slow is underpowering it, however in a 2.0 BMW it feels wrong... unless you rock it in sport only.
Just needs a toon, FBO's and some E85 brah.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

These winter tires are fucking awful. Don't buy Michelin Xi3's. They're marshmallows with no grip. You're better off buying Goodyear Turanzas or some other not-very-respectable all season touring tire made for Toyota Avalons.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:31 am These winter tires are fucking awful. Don't buy Michelin Xi3's. They're marshmallows with no grip. You're better off buying Goodyear Turanzas or some other not-very-respectable all season touring tire made for Toyota Avalons.
:notsure:

You have magic diff's doe.... Or is this some sort of :plac: ploy to get into a S5?
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:These winter tires are fucking awful. Don't buy Michelin Xi3's. They're marshmallows with no grip. You're better off buying Goodyear Turanzas or some other not-very-respectable all season touring tire made for Toyota Avalons.
I told you to get PA4 or similar :bruh:

Xi3 is what we put on the wife's car. The best at ice/snow, not the best at anything else.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:31 am These winter tires are fucking awful. Don't buy Michelin Xi3's. They're marshmallows with no grip. You're better off buying Goodyear Turanzas or some other not-very-respectable all season touring tire made for Toyota Avalons.
No grip in snow or elsewhere ?!
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:08 pm
Just sell them to some flatbrimmer looking for winter tahrz and order a different set.
He should do that white "MICHELIN" stencil on the tarz for maximum flatbrimmer appeal.