Johnny_P's Street Parking Palooza

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:37 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:34 pm Pods are going to be here in 5 years not 10-20... we're getting really close...
Not for $30k and not fully autonomous where you can be asleep or :drunk: while traveling.
Who in their right mind would buy a pod. We're going to be too poor for car ownershit.

SHARE EVERYTHING.
We have had pods on the streets for nearly a decade here... they are getting close... and congress just made em legal too.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:38 pm

Not for $30k and not fully autonomous where you can be asleep or :drunk: while traveling.
Who in their right mind would buy a pod. We're going to be too poor for car ownershit.

SHARE EVERYTHING.
We have had pods on the streets for nearly a decade here... they are getting close... and congress just made em legal too.
:yeahok:

Then change the $30k to $300/mo for unlimited use counting insurance. Still can't use it while :drunk: either.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I use poober drunk every weekend.
troyguitar

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:45 pm I use poober drunk every weekend.
I mean for every trip of every day, never driving again unless you rent a racecar for a trackdaybro...
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:31 pm $32k or whatever MSRP for a base 230i is not expensive. Just skip the 27-way power seats and automatic sharks with frikin lazer beams headlights...

IF you could know that it would be reliable AND that you would keep it long enough for the depreciation to not be too bad, then a base 230i would be a fantastic way to roll for 10-20 years until we get autonomous pods.
Who the hell wants to keep a poverty bimmer for 10-20 years? :disgust:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:38 pm

SHARE EVERYTHING.
I'd rather pod than have Mohammad drive me around in his Camry uber.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:51 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:31 pm $32k or whatever MSRP for a base 230i is not expensive. Just skip the 27-way power seats and automatic sharks with frikin lazer beams headlights...

IF you could know that it would be reliable AND that you would keep it long enough for the depreciation to not be too bad, then a base 230i would be a fantastic way to roll for 10-20 years until we get autonomous pods.
:iono:

I'd drive an E36/46 today... especially if it were owned and maintained by myself since new. I DD a 2003 backward corolla :doe:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:54 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:51 pm

I'd drive an E36/46 today... especially if it were owned and maintained by myself since new. I DD a 2003 backward corolla :doe:
I don't have an attention span that long. I also don't have patience for broken things which an old BMW will certainly have.

It would be awesome if my next car were electric.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:57 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:54 pm

I don't have an attention span that long. I also don't have patience for broken things which an old BMW will certainly have.

Johnny going to be running extension cords out his window to charge his car?
troyguitar

Apex wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:32 pm

Just start filling potholes with wireless charging pads, eventually the entire road network will be a giant wireless charger and electric cars will have infinite range.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:51 pm

Just start filling potholes with wireless charging pads, eventually the entire road network will be a giant wireless charger and electric cars will have infinite range.
:notbad:
Johnny_P

I like this
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:36 pm

I like this
:dat: so many issues resolved by one action.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Also, pods will likely be here in 5 years (hell, GM just announced they'll start production now), but it'll be many years after before they're widely adopted.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:12 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:36 pm

I like this
Of course it would take federal money though. Which means that Troy would literally be subsidizing my car. Not bad.
Johnny_P

Dat dedicated EV parking spot doe.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:12 pm
Of course it would take federal money though. Which means that Troy would literally be subsidizing my car. Not bad.
:triggered:
Johnny_P

Drove around for about 3 hours today on back roads along the Brandywine Creek.

https://goo.gl/maps/12CDFemZbLn

These roads are very windy, many blind turns, road surface is maybe 6/10 with some potholes and a lot of off-camber. Very very pretty, and tons of fun if you don't get caught behind a slowpoke. I did a couple laps of this.

This car is incredible on a back road. So much confidence. Just enough power and makes all the right sounds. Strong fade-free brakes. A buttoned down suspension that at speed really does not get upset while soaking up the bullshit. I successfully heel-toed a few times too. Gun it down a straight, slam the brakes, blip, downshift, turn in, let the car set into the turn, halfway through boot it and it'll rocket you out. There is no understeer. None.

I love this damn car. :wub:

The only thing that sucks was it returned like 19 mpg, lol. Oh well.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:15 pm Drove around for about 3 hours today on back roads along the Brandywine Creek.

These roads are very windy, many blind turns, road surface is maybe 6/10 with some potholes and a lot of off-camber. Very very pretty, and tons of fun if you don't get caught behind a slowpoke. I did a couple laps of this.

This car is incredible on a back road. So much confidence. Just enough power and makes all the right sounds. Strong fade-free brakes. A buttoned down suspension that at speed really does not get upset while soaking up the bullshit. I successfully heel-toed a few times too. Gun it down a straight, slam the brakes, blip, downshift, turn in, let the car set into the turn, halfway through boot it and it'll rocket you out. There is no understeer. None.

:fuckyeah: :stig:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:15 pm Drove around for about 3 hours today on back roads along the Brandywine Creek.

we have some good roads around here, but it is quite a distance to get there. Not really sure if it's really worth the drive. :crang:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:15 pm

we have some good roads around here, but it is quite a distance to get there. Not really sure if it's really worth the drive. :crang:
Not worth the drive because of the GTI or not worth the drive because it doesn't interest you? Serious question and there's no wrong answer to it. I went into the STI not really knowing the answer as to why I wasn't going on drives anymore. I rolled the dice thinking I just wasn't interested in the car, and I'm finding that now that I have a car that I love to drive I'm looking for reasons to drive it.

But I could have rolled the dice the other way and who knows, maybe I'd have been just as happy in a 4Runner or something with zero sporting intentions. I really think I'd love owning something like a Q50, IS350, A5, etc. They're just flat out good no-nonsense cars. But I wouldn't be looking for back roads to hoon them on.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:17 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:15 pm

Not worth the drive because of the GTI or not worth the drive because it doesn't interest you? Serious question and there's no wrong answer to it. I went into the STI not really knowing the answer as to why I wasn't going on drives anymore. I rolled the dice thinking I just wasn't interested in the car, and I'm finding that now that I have a car that I love to drive I'm looking for reasons to drive it.

But I could have rolled the dice the other way and who knows, maybe I'd have been just as happy in a 4Runner or something with zero sporting intentions. I really think I'd love owning something like a Q50, IS350, A5, etc. They're just flat out good no-nonsense cars. But I wouldn't be looking for back roads to hoon them on.
I have done drives like that in the GTI, but it kinda got old or probably I haven't really got time for that anymore. There are couple backroads but, not as long as yours. However, I do bomb highway ramps on my commute almost everyday, this being my favorite https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8888024 ... a=!3m1!1e3

These are the roads I usually drive on, but they're about 15-20 miles away from me. The 647 & 643 https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7351856 ... 943,13.66z

here's a video of it.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:57 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:17 pm

I have done drives like that in the GTI, but it kinda got old or probably I haven't really got time for that anymore. There are couple backroads but, not as long as yours. However, I do bomb highway ramps on my commute almost everyday, this being my favorite https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8888024 ... a=!3m1!1e3

These are the roads I usually drive on, but they're about 15-20 miles away from me. The 647 & 643 https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7351856 ... 943,13.66z

here's a video of it.
Those roads look good. That guy has no control of his car and is driving like an assbag in that video.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:41 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:57 am

here's a video of it.
Those roads look good. That guy has no control of his car and is driving like an assbag in that video.
he's actually lou's friend on that one thread, but it isn't his account.
Johnny_P

:wub: