So I bought some useless junk recently...

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:57 am That was an interesting read.. on the watches.. OMEGA's are classics... especially the 60s and 70s... since they were at the peak of their game then. Now that Swatch has copied the moon watch, it has destroyed the brand IMO.

Either way loved the read. Mechanical watches are dude jewelry ... I have come to appreciate them a bit.
This. Other than a wedding band a watch is the only piece of jewelry I will ever rock. And a mechanical watch reps several personality things about me:

1. My high hard middle finger to putting another way to harass and contact my inherently introverted self right on my wrist. The phone is bad enough. (I respect, and have heard, the arguments that the Iwatch reduces phone use, I just can't go there.)

2. My general :wap: :disgust: for over teching every god damned thing in the universe.

3. Mechanical watches are, (notwithstanding some extra luxury brand fluff) a link to an era when people took the time and craftsmanship to make beautiful things. It's like wearing a Weber Carbureted 12 cylinder Ferrari instead of a fucking Tupperware Plaid Tesla.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:22 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:57 am That was an interesting read.. on the watches.. OMEGA's are classics... especially the 60s and 70s... since they were at the peak of their game then. Now that Swatch has copied the moon watch, it has destroyed the brand IMO.

Either way loved the read. Mechanical watches are dude jewelry ... I have come to appreciate them a bit.
This. Other than a wedding band a watch is the only piece of jewelry I will ever rock. And a mechanical watch reps several personality things about me:

1. My high hard middle finger to putting another way to harass and contact my inherently introverted self right on my wrist. The phone is bad enough. (I respect, and have heard, the arguments that the Iwatch reduces phone use, I just can't go there.)

2. My general :wap: :disgust: for over teching every god damned thing in the universe.

3. Mechanical watches are, (notwithstanding some extra luxury brand fluff) a link to an era when people took the time and craftsmanship to make beautiful things. It's like wearing a Weber Carbureted 12 cylinder Ferrari instead of a fucking Tupperware Plaid Tesla.
:THANK YOU:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tar wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:30 pm

To belabor this a bit further. My wife bought me the print edition of Car and Driver for Christmas and I was sitting on the throne this morning reading about the new Electric E Class, which retails for 75 thousand dollhairs.

https://www.caranddriver.com/mercedes-benz/eqe. It looks like a gen 8 Honda Civic.

If I raced someone from San Diego to Boston in the Silver Bullet I would be eating lobster rolls and be drunk AF on Sam Adams while the other guy is looking for a charger in Lawton Oklahoma, quite unsuccessfully I might add. All while driving a car that looks and drives like a sedan should look and drive. At least he could call a flatbed on his IWatch. Before I ordered my lunch I would also deposit the extra 64 grand in a CD @ 5%.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

The Moonswatch was the best marketing campaign they could’ve done. Real Omega’s are still the aspiration, but the Swatch collab (mind you Omega is owned by Swatch) just makes it a fun way to market an old brand to a younger generation so they have something to aspire to as well.

I have a Moonswatch in my collection and it’s an awesome piece that’s fun. I wouldn’t collect them all, but my friend has.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

razr390 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:44 pm

The Moonswatch was the best marketing campaign they could’ve done. Real Omega’s are still the aspiration, but the Swatch collab (mind you Omega is owned by Swatch) just makes it a fun way to market an old brand to a younger generation so they have something to aspire to as well.

I have a Moonswatch in my collection and it’s an awesome piece that’s fun. I wouldn’t collect them all, but my friend has.
Which planet?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I feel like I really let my inner codger loose in this thread. I should go have a three-martini lunch.
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Brooks Glycerin

Sucks that y'all can't wear anything else, but I get it. Not enough to understand how a watch (or any jewelry for that matter) can be worth millions, but enough that I find my $39 Seiko fascinating.
max225

Valkyrie wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:52 pm

Sucks that y'all can't wear anything else, but I get it. Not enough to understand how a watch (or any jewelry for that matter) can be worth millions, but enough that I find my $39 Seiko fascinating.
Can't wear them anymore... You (we) just get targeted and robbed :(
razr390

I started getting back into watches earlier this year. My aspiration to start my collection would be to emphasize value for money and have unique pieces. Barring a few hand-me-downs from my pops, I acquired a few awesome pieces that I have to shout out here. But first, a quick pic of my collection from a few months ago:

A few standout pieces:
1. Tissot PRX. I have the quartz and it was $375; you can get the automatic/Powermatic 80 for $675. This is the best Swiss made integrated sport bracelet watch bang for buck watch. It’s one of the most popular watches in the last 2 years.

2. Glycine Combat Sub - I got this impressive dive watch from Costco for $300. For those who know about watches, it has sapphire Crystal, 200M of WR, Swiss ETA 2824 movement (found in higher end watches such as entry level Breitling and Tudor’s). For $300 I don’t see where the margin is with this watch. Glycine is an older Swiss brand that was recently acquired by Invicta. Invicta is a pretty shitty watch brand but I guess they are diversifying their portfolio. Everyone I know who knows about their purchase of glycine has said it will only make glycines more available across the world, which isn’t a bad thing. Otherwise they are hands off.

3. G-Shock GA-2100 “Casioak” came out a few years ago and it is the best wearing G-Shock I’ve ever had. Plus, the sleek design with the octagonal port hole bezel has earned it the name “Casioak” after the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak. These go for $100-500 depending on model/resin/metal/etc.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

It boils down to the complexity of the movement, and the number of complications (functions) the watch has. It really becomes a flex at some point, both on the consumer who can afford it, and the watchmaker that can build it.

I appreciate the higher end stuff, but I don’t think I would ever spend beyond the realm of realism. (Aka I wouldn’t pay $350k for a Patek Nautilus) but I can understand why their minute repeater movements cost so much.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

There are men who look cool enough to wear other jewelry. I am not one of those men. In particular I am envious of dudes exotic enough/native american enough to pull off a bolo tie on the reg. It simply looks ridiculous on a guy who looks like he just climbed out of a peat bog in the Scottish highlands.
Last edited by Desertbreh on Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
razr390

My dad passed down his Tag Heuer Formula 1 Senna limited edition. It’s the most entry level one, coming with a Swiss quartz and no chronograph function. I appreciate the watch but would never spend the close to $2,000 it cost new.

Since I love F1, and Ayrton Senna always commands a fanbase, and my dad gave it to me, I’ll keep this one as long as I can.

Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:53 pm

Can't wear them anymore... You (we) just get targeted and robbed :(
Yeah that point certainly is on my mind when deciding whether to wear or buy anything expensive/flashy. Right now I'm very much in the phase of re-building a wardrobe and I am constantly torn - get stuff that I like vs just try to draw as little attention to myself as possible.
razr390

Another cool piece I have is a Seiko 5 SNK SNK063J5. This one boasts an Arabic/Indian numeral dial and was only available in the Middle East/Asia.

This one is a 34mm and wears just big enough, but on the smaller end of my watches.

max225

I dunno why but Arabic numbers :triggered: me .... and the left handed watches on the wrong hand.
Last edited by max225 on Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
razr390

The Casioak G-Shock is god tier.

razr390

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:02 pm I dunno why but Arabic numbers :triggered: me .... and the left handed watches on the wrong hand.
I like it because it’s just a unique dial. Plenty of them available on the internet, but nowhere near as many on someone’d wrist here in the United States as opposed to elsewhere, so it’s cool/quirky to me.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Pretty crazy to hear/read a just the actual watch game. I thought the $2-300 watches I used to buy were crazy lol.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:53 pm I started getting back into watches earlier this year. My aspiration to start my collection would be to emphasize value for money and have unique pieces. Barring a few hand-me-downs from my pops, I acquired a few awesome pieces that I have to shout out here. But first, a quick pic of my collection from a few months ago:

A few standout pieces:
1. Tissot PRX. I have the quartz and it was $375; you can get the automatic/Powermatic 80 for $675. This is the best Swiss made integrated sport bracelet watch bang for buck watch. It’s one of the most popular watches in the last 2 years.

2. Glycine Combat Sub - I got this impressive dive watch from Costco for $300. For those who know about watches, it has sapphire Crystal, 200M of WR, Swiss ETA 2824 movement (found in higher end watches such as entry level Breitling and Tudor’s). For $300 I don’t see where the margin is with this watch. Glycine is an older Swiss brand that was recently acquired by Invicta. Invicta is a pretty shitty watch brand but I guess they are diversifying their portfolio. Everyone I know who knows about their purchase of glycine has said it will only make glycines more available across the world, which isn’t a bad thing. Otherwise they are hands off.

3. G-Shock GA-2100 “Casioak” came out a few years ago and it is the best wearing G-Shock I’ve ever had. Plus, the sleek design with the octagonal port hole bezel has earned it the name “Casioak” after the Audemars Piguet Royal Oak. These go for $100-500 depending on model/resin/metal/etc.
I like the Glycerine Combat Sub and the two Seikos on the top left. Sweet collection and box. I had a watch box but it was stolen during a B&E along with my whole collection.. it wasn't as nice as yours :doe:
Valkyrie
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:56 pm

There are men who look cool enough to wear other jewelry. I am not one of those men. In particular I am envious of dudes exotic enough/native american enough to pull off a bolo tie on the reg. It simply looks ridiculous on a guy who looks like he just climbed out of a peat bog in the Scottish highlands.
Sounds like you're ready for a (synthetic, skip the wool in the desert) kilt, lad.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:01 pm Another cool piece I have is a Seiko 5 SNK SNK063J5. This one boasts an Arabic/Indian numeral dial and was only available in the Middle East/Asia.

This one is a 34mm and wears just big enough, but on the smaller end of my watches.

I like the way this sits on your arm. Not too big or small IMO
max225

razr390 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:53 pm I started getting back into watches earlier this year. My aspiration to start my collection would be to emphasize value for money and have unique pieces. Barring a few hand-me-downs from my pops, I acquired a few awesome pieces that I have to shout out here. But first, a quick pic of my collection from a few months ago:

A few standout pieces:

Whats the box you're using? Its kind of neat
razr390

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:33 pm

A few standout pieces:

Whats the box you're using? Its kind of neat
got it from Amazon. The top storage areas are automatic watch winders. So you can put up to 4 watches 24/7 or alternate them. The things spin every 6-18 minutes to keep the rotors spinning and the watches wound up.

I can link it for you if you’re interested.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Valkyrie wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:26 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:56 pm

Sounds like you're ready for a (synthetic, skip the wool in the desert) kilt, lad.
Full Commando with style? Sign me up.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:42 pm
Tar wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:30 pm

To belabor this a bit further. My wife bought me the print edition of Car and Driver for Christmas and I was sitting on the throne this morning reading about the new Electric E Class, which retails for 75 thousand dollhairs.

https://www.caranddriver.com/mercedes-benz/eqe. It looks like a gen 8 Honda Civic.

If I raced someone from San Diego to Boston in the Silver Bullet I would be eating lobster rolls and be drunk AF on Sam Adams while the other guy is looking for a charger in Lawton Oklahoma, quite unsuccessfully I might add. All while driving a car that looks and drives like a sedan should look and drive. At least he could call a flatbed on his IWatch. Before I ordered my lunch I would also deposit the extra 64 grand in a CD @ 5%.
Classy MB design and comfort, access to cheap and easily accessible energy, lobster rolls, cold beer.... Keep the hideously expensive screen-clad electric Civic and all of its virtuous signaling.