Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

MrH42 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:07 am I'm afraid the R3X will become like the Camaro and NSX. It's shown so far ahead of actual production, that by the time actual production starts, the design will feel dated.
Maybe… but the current rivians seem to be pretty decent still. But yea that’s why I pump and dumped that stock during the reveal … I got excited then it was too far away and off it went
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:26 pm Oof. Inside is just as bad as the outside, as expected. Bummer.

Wow that is atrocious
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:08 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:26 pm Oof. Inside is just as bad as the outside, as expected. Bummer.

Wow that is atrocious
Yes’th. Hard pass.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:08 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:01 pm Man the R2 and R3 are so sick
They are pretty decent... R2 is like an EV JGC. And R3 is like an EV golf... but the production for the R2 is all the way in first half of 2026... that's way too far out imo.

Dat R3 looks like an old school VW Rabbit. I’m here for it. Especially that dark green one
max225

We all seem to dig the prototypes … but the company is a shit show when it comes to delivering the product. They need to be bought by Tesla and rebranded imo
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:14 pm We all seem to dig the prototypes … but the company is a shit show when it comes to delivering the product. They need to be bought by Tesla and rebranded imo
I just read they halted construction of a factory in Georgia or somewhere down south.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

wap wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:21 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:14 pm We all seem to dig the prototypes … but the company is a shit show when it comes to delivering the product. They need to be bought by Tesla and rebranded imo
I just read they halted construction of a factory in Georgia or somewhere down south.
Yes because they expected to sell a lot more 90k ev pickups and 100k suvs. Which is :fullretard: that’s not a mainstream price point
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

One of the other guys on my team got an early R1T back when they were $76K and he's loved it, I guess he's owned for almost two years now. I'll have to get an update from him at some point from a reliability/quality standpoint. He lives in Minneapolis, so I've never gotten the opportunity to drive it sadly.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

So we can get dumb looking cars instead?
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

:iswydt:

Too obvious. You need to be more subtle with your trolling.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:42 pm
So we can get dumb looking cars instead?
I drive one every day and love it :iono: :lol:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:36 pm
wap wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:21 pm

Yes because they expected to sell a lot more 90k ev pickups and 100k suvs. Which is :fullretard: that’s not a mainstream price point
:dat: and I'm holding an uncomfortable amount of their stock, avg $19/ps
max225

dubshow wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:48 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:36 pm
I was an idiot and bought at 32 when they dropped 50% from their IPO.

I think evs are about to go through a major reckoning as most places in US made it very price prohibitive to own own one. There is no cost advantage over a hybrid anymore.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:16 pm
dubshow wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:48 pm

I was an idiot and bought at 32 when they dropped 50% from their IPO.

I think evs are about to go through a major reckoning as most places in US made it very price prohibitive to own own one. There is no cost advantage over a hybrid anymore.
same same. I avg'ed down :doe: :neek:

meanwhile I timed the bottom of tesla at $100/ps :geek:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

What do we know about 3-row SUVs in this forum? We are stopping at two kids but the CRV is already feeling tight as hell with the baby seat in there.

All the car mags want a 3 row that handles like a Miata which I don’t understand. I’d be looking for something dependable with good interior space because I’m tall, and hopefully not wallet destroying to own from a MPG or insurance perspective. Something that the dog and kids can easily climb into. So middle row captains chairs.

CX9 seems cool until you read about engines cracking and needing full replacement. CX90 prioritized handling over everything a 3 row needs to be. No to Ferd. Chevy doesn’t seem to want to compete in this segment unless you go Tahoe which is way too much.

Telluride seems sweet but I can’t do H/K now with the Kia boyz destroying insurance rates of those brands. Pilot? Atlas? Highlander? Grand Cherokee?
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:09 pm What do we know about 3-row SUVs in this forum? We are stopping at two kids but the CRV is already feeling tight as hell with the baby seat in there.

All the car mags want a 3 row that handles like a Miata which I don’t understand. I’d be looking for something dependable with good interior space because I’m tall, and hopefully not wallet destroying to own from a MPG or insurance perspective. Something that the dog and kids can easily climb into. So middle row captains chairs.

CX9 seems cool until you read about engines cracking and needing full replacement. CX90 prioritized handling over everything a 3 row needs to be. No to Ferd. Chevy doesn’t seem to want to compete in this segment unless you go Tahoe which is way too much.

Telluride seems sweet but I can’t do H/K now with the Kia boyz destroying insurance rates of those brands. Pilot? Atlas? Highlander? Grand Cherokee?
Check out an Atlas as a punishment box (cheapest on that list) or if you can find a Highlander or Grand Highlander HYBRID that's really the way to go if you can't stomach a Van. But honestly... I'd probably try and get my name on a list for a Sienna. It's the thing that makes the most sense.

I like the Pilot but MPGs are shit as is the epic depreciation... :iono:
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Probably Pilot. But I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger on one until they put the new Accord infotainment in. It has a comically small screen in it right now.

CX-90 would probably be my personal pick, but you get more bang for the buck with the Pilot.
Desertbreh

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:15 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:09 pm What do we know about 3-row SUVs in this forum? We are stopping at two kids but the CRV is already feeling tight as hell with the baby seat in there.

Check out an Atlas as a punishment box (cheapest on that list) or if you can find a Highlander or Grand Highlander HYBRID that's really the way to go if you can't stomach a Van. But honestly... I'd probably try and get my name on a list for a Sienna. It's the thing that makes the most sense.

I think this is the most sensible thing out there right now. Enough size, good power, good mileage for what it is. Plus depreciation should be low.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:minivan:
Johnny_P

Yeah. A pilot seems like least seppuku however that only applies to the current one. Prior ones are awful looking. And yes shit mpg.

Grand Highlander Hybrid seems dece. The lower power one gets like 35 mpg in an enormous box. But also pretty expensive for a mainstream brand.

At least with the Atlas they’re available used for cheap. I don’t recall anything bad about them other than shit mpg with the V6 motor.

I’m slowly getting Lisa to come around to a minivan. I want one, she doesn’t.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:36 pm

Yeah. A pilot seems like least seppuku however that only applies to the current one. Prior ones are awful looking. And yes shit mpg.

Grand Highlander Hybrid seems dece. The lower power one gets like 35 mpg in an enormous box. But also pretty expensive for a mainstream brand.

I’m slowly getting Lisa to come around to a minivan. I want one, she doesn’t.
To be fair they are all essentially minivans in slightly different skins and far less practical. A sienna does everything you need to do...

2024 Sienna LE AWD + LE Plus package is $43,380. The most sensible choice. But it is also hard AF to get as toyota has been prior focused on selling 60k fucking crotch fruit booger haulers.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I have two friends with Atlases. The head room is fucking wild. I think the MDX is also a sleeper. I don't think they're THAT much more of you're ok with a couple years old.

Chevy came out with a new Traverse this year that's actually pretty hot.

https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-vehi ... 4-traverse

The Nissan Pathfinder uses a real trans now and looks great too. The options are really limitless.
Johnny_P

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:26 am

I have two friends with Atlases. The head room is fucking wild. I think the MDX is also a sleeper. I don't think they're THAT much more of you're ok with a couple years old.

Chevy came out with a new Traverse this year that's actually pretty hot.

https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-vehi ... 4-traverse

The Nissan Pathfinder uses a real trans now and looks great too. The options are really limitless.
That traverse looks pretty great.
Yeah the Nissans. Fled’s experience with his Frontier makes me shy away from them but they do look nice now.
Johnny_P

MrH42 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:16 pm Probably Pilot. But I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger on one until they put the new Accord infotainment in. It has a comically small screen in it right now.

CX-90 would probably be my personal pick, but you get more bang for the buck with the Pilot.
The new pilot seems alright with the refreshed infotainment and interior to match the civic / accord.

The Odyssey minivan uses the 10 year old infotainment and gauges just like my CRV and no way fam. I can’t deal with that in 2024.

CX90 certainly looks good and has a PHEV option but it’s brand new so questionable dependability and lack of interior space / storage is tough.
max225

I'd stay the F away from a top of the line super complicated mazderp product...