Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:19 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:44 pm After going to 410k I’m going to say a big fuck no. It’s a tedious excercise filled with lots of useless work where you “work” for the car and trying to keep it alive once every month/other month.
It’s definitely something you do to say you did more than for practical or financial reasons.

If it was that bad on a Crown Vic… :lolol: on an S4. Matt Farrah’s million miles Lexus sounded like a huge pain in the ass as well.
Yea... random shit started breaking in and around the 250k mark that just doesn't break if you're in a normal operating timeframe.

Some fun examples were.... a pin backed out of the steering shaft/shifer causing the car to be stranded in park... it was a "free" fix but it required a solid 2 hrs of research and almost a tow...

Anddddd the rear right axle seal went bad, taking out the wheel bearing... and then the axle because it ate into it... all in a span of a few 100 miles...

and my fav... the solder on the dash after 100s of thousands of miles went bad and the digital portion was displaying random #s so you couldn't see the speed... i had to pull the dash and then re-solder the back pins... and i actually fixed it... again "free" fix... but imagine explaining that to someone who doesn't have the car disease.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

"Quality is #1" - Ford
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:18 pm "Quality is #1" - Ford
It was still an incredibly durable car. 410k miles under original engine and trans. And it drove itself onto the Junker. I shed a tear inside for sure.

This was also a car where I learned its oem parts or nothing. 68 oil changes on the same car will teach you a thing or 20
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:01 pm
It was still an incredibly durable car. 410k miles under original engine and trans. And it drove itself onto the Junker. I shed a tear inside for sure.

This was also a car where I learned its oem parts or nothing. 68 oil changes on the same car will teach you a thing or 20
Crown Vic was not a police staple for nothing
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:53 am
max225 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:01 pm

Crown Vic was not a police staple for nothing
There were plenty of cabs out there with 600-700K as well. Although I'm kind of with Cale's comment. Ferd is one of the few brands I'd be very hesitant to purchase. I still have PTSD from a blown turbo on the side of a TX freeway in 115F heat... and three 'stang rentals with windows that didn't roll up all the way...

They were dece in the 90s though. My high school Taurus had 245K miles when my parents gave it from me to my bro, all on original engine/trans with no major issues throughout our family's 12 years of ownershit (and they bought it used).
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Here is a fun story:

My college best friend/roommate (drives :manuel: Taco) and his wife have a Golf AllTrac that she drives. They got a warning light on the dash that the battery wasn't charging. He actually called me and I suggested testing the alternator. Well, they don't have a volt meter even though she is an EE by trade :seriously:

So they take this car to the rape palace and sure enough, bad alternator. Come to find out, the part is backordered for 90 days. No loaner car offered, he calls every other :dillerman: around, same story. They suggest he rents a car for three months while they sit on this thing :notsure: So he starts trying to find a Bosch unit elsewhere, none seem to be found. They rent a car and continue the search. He ended up finding a GTI unit at a local junk yard, different part number but looks the same/same specs. The service advisor states that it 'will probably work, no guarantees until flights to Maui are brandished.

He did purchase the alternator from the junk yard and drove it to the :dillerman: , now they're waiting on results :popcorn:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Also, Cleveland airport had a very poor selection of rental cars, I opted for an Elantra with 400 miles on the clock. I can see why people buy these things, for the price it is quite loaded out. The newer interior is :nice: , cool looking off white leather semi sport seats, sunroof, lots of tech, heated seats, kind of has everything. It is slow as :balls:
golftdibrad1
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:25 am Here is a fun story:

My college best friend/roommate (drives :manuel: Taco) and his wife have a Golf AllTrac that she drives. They got a warning light on the dash that the battery wasn't charging. He actually called me and I suggested testing the alternator. Well, they don't have a volt meter even though she is an EE by trade :seriously:

So they take this car to the rape palace and sure enough, bad alternator. Come to find out, the part is backordered for 90 days. No loaner car offered, he calls every other :dillerman: around, same story. They suggest he rents a car for three months while they sit on this thing :notsure: So he starts trying to find a Bosch unit elsewhere, none seem to be found. They rent a car and continue the search. He ended up finding a GTI unit at a local junk yard, different part number but looks the same/same specs. The service advisor states that it 'will probably work, no guarantees until flights to Maui are brandished.

He did purchase the alternator from the junk yard and drove it to the :dillerman: , now they're waiting on results :popcorn:
fucking parts changers. Im sure that alternator was rebuildable, new brush pack and voltage regulator and good to go.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:26 am Also, Cleveland airport had a very poor selection of rental cars, I opted for an Elantra with 400 miles on the clock. I can see why people buy these things, for the price it is quite loaded out. The newer interior is :nice: , cool looking off white leather semi sport seats, sunroof, lots of tech, heated seats, kind of has everything. It is slow as :balls:
I always liked getting elantras as rentals. If you manually shift the CVT it’s a lot better, and the motor will make power to redline so it’s decent to wring out. I enjoy beating the hell out of slow cars though.

Damn Kia Boyz ruining these though. Even if it’s got an immobilizer who wants to deal with smashed windows and busted steering columns from attempted thefts?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

:jimp:

Camry V6 actually sounds pretty great.
max225

Is that thing finally here ?!
Desertbreh

That's ridiculous.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Would an auto parts place have the parts? and an indy rape palace? Should be in and out for around $700 if I had to guesss
Desertbreh

Not a single new alternator for a VW 1.8T in the entire Charlotte Metro Area? :ayfkm:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Is a CVT 1.5T accord total seppuku? Would you at that point just go for the more expensive used Camry Hybrid?

I have a feeling I’m going to need to quickly buy a car in the next 3 weeks and have been looking at what’s available. Used prices are still insane. $20 grand doesn’t buy much.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:18 pm Is a CVT 1.5T accord total seppuku? Would you at that point just go for the more expensive used Camry Hybrid?

I have a feeling I’m going to need to quickly buy a car in the next 3 weeks and have been looking at what’s available. Used prices are still insane. $20 grand doesn’t buy much.
Depending on how much you decide/need to drive. You should lease a new Japanese/domestic car for $230 a month.
Melon2.0
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Many Things

For those who haven't heard, a lady turned left in front of me on Friday. Fairly certain the Camaro is totaled, it's quite damaged.
I'm doing okay, left shoulder is fucked. I went to the doctor, and nothing is broken so that's good.

Been doing a lot of car shopping.
max225

Melon2.0 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:33 pm For those who haven't heard, a lady turned left in front of me on Friday. Fairly certain the Camaro is totaled, it's quite damaged.
I'm doing okay, left shoulder is fucked. I went to the doctor, and nothing is broken so that's good.

:wtf: glad you're ok...

Pics of the car?

time to get a C8
Melon2.0
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

max225

Melon2.0 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:44 pm Image
What a fucking shame... did the door open on it's own?
Also that "SMASHED" sign in the back :yikes:
Melon2.0
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:46 pm What a fucking shame... did the door open on it's own?
No, it took quite a bit of effort for me to get out of the car.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

Melon2.0 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:44 pm Image
Goddamn. This hurts my heart. Glad you’re ok bro. Fucking shame. 🫗
max225

Melon2.0 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:00 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:46 pm What a fucking shame... did the door open on it's own?
No, it took quite a bit of effort for me to get out of the car.
Yea that thing is def toast. Only thing one can ask for is to be able to walk away.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

After growing up in a household with 4 fords alone. :notsure:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Melon2.0 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:33 pm For those who haven't heard, a lady turned left in front of me on Friday. Fairly certain the Camaro is totaled, it's quite damaged.

Oh shit! Glad you're ok, man.
:( for the 'Maro, :doe:

:popcorn: to see what you get to replace it.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.