Car Talk 6: Best of times and Worst of Times

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

That's surprisingly reasonable for that car.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

I :wub: these
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:48 pm
Dare I say, worth the money. That is a current/future classic.

I think the market is finally getting unfucked! (and I lost like $10K on an 86 :lolol: :disappoint: ).
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:52 pm

I think the market is finally getting unfucked! (and I lost like $10K on an 86 :lolol: :disappoint: ).
It's kind of weird... some vehicles came down... others are holding steady. I.E used porsches are still well above MSRP. Which is :fullretard:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:53 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:52 pm

It's kind of weird... some vehicles came down... others are holding steady. I.E used porsches are still well above MSRP. Which is :fullretard:
I don't even bother with looking at Porsche :lolol: #poorlyfe
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Concur.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:04 pm

I stopped after seeing 170k msrp GT3's that are 3 years old advertised back at 250k as of now. :disgust:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

I honestly think having a GR86 is truly the way to go. You get plenty of sport car feel/performance (Great brakes, great handling super light weight) in a package that you can use.
Yes the local drunken milf won't go home with you after having 5 skinny margaritas. But who gives a fuck you can actually have fun and not pay $1699 for an oil change annually. And take out a mortgage sized loan to have it sit in a garage and collect dust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Speaking of 86s, seems a viable oil pressure solution is on the way.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:18 pm

I stopped after seeing 170k msrp GT3's that are 3 years old advertised back at 250k as of now. :disgust:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

I honestly think having a GR86 is truly the way to go. You get plenty of sport car feel/performance (Great brakes, great handling super light weight) in a package that you can use.
Yes the local drunken milf won't go home with you after having 5 skinny margaritas. But who gives a fuck you can actually have fun and not pay $1699 for an oil change annually. And take out a mortgage sized loan to have it sit in a garage and collect dust.
:notwrong:

My wife and I have these conversation cards, we normally grab one at dinner for fun (just a topic to talk about). Last night we got 'What would we do if we got a gift of $100K?" To which I literally have nothing. I guess I'm very lucky, but I'd probably donate like $10K, blow $10K on a nice trip, save the rest for maybe a new house in the future or whatever else we need. I probably would've said 'buy an Evora, Emira, GT4, etc. a couple of years ago but honestly have near zero desire for such things now. It's just more car to be bummed out about when some dipshit hits it, birds shit on it, I curb a wheel, etc. :iono: the whole PPF shop fucking me and seeing Gberb's PPF journery kind of made me realize I don't really want an expensive vehicle. I mean, I guess $35-40K OTD on both of our cars is pretty expensive but no real desire to go past that.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

:dat:

I still play with their configurator every so often but I never look at actual listings as they'd ruin the dream. :(
max225

35-50k in todays world is not "expensive" per say since the average transaction price is 48k. :disgust: I keep waiting for the shoe to drop but somehow the average american family making 70k can afford a 48k car and a 470k house and many vacations as AIRBnB is thriving... I just don't get it anymore and I stopped caring.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Cybertruk fails to sell after being bid to $158k and not meeting reserve. You love to see it.

:impressive:

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3RyYX4 ... ion-series
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:22 pm Cybertruk fails to sell after being bid to $158k and not meeting reserve. You love to see it.

LOfuckingL man. I hope whoever tried to flip that lost their fucking ass. These will be reduced to $70K new in 18 months.

The pictures of that really allow you to see how each panel looks different. Such quality. Wow. :doge:
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:22 pm Cybertruk fails to sell after being bid to $158k and not meeting reserve. You love to see it.

the current "owner" if that is in fact even the case was a complete dick/bitch. Not disclosing how they can sell it without violating the non sale agreement with Tesla that is being brutally enforced by tesla.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:05 pm 35-50k in todays world is not "expensive" per say since the average transaction price is 48k. :disgust: I keep waiting for the shoe to drop but somehow the average american family making 70k can afford a 48k car and a 470k house and many vacations as AIRBnB is thriving... I just don't get it anymore and I stopped caring.
I am very much anti airbnb, considering the fact that you pay 190$ for cleaning fee and you have to leave spotless. Unless maybe there isn't an accommodation I can find outside for intended destination
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:57 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:05 pm 35-50k in todays world is not "expensive" per say since the average transaction price is 48k. :disgust: I keep waiting for the shoe to drop but somehow the average american family making 70k can afford a 48k car and a 470k house and many vacations as AIRBnB is thriving... I just don't get it anymore and I stopped caring.
I am very much anti airbnb, considering the fact that you pay 190$ for cleaning fee and you have to leave spotless. Unless maybe there isn't an accommodation I can find outside for intended destination
:metoo:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

Yet somehow there are 100s of thousands of them in this country and they are generating iNcOmE and creating massive housing shortages.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I saw an Emira last weekend in this spec. It looked incredible

wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:05 pm I saw an Emira last weekend in this spec. It looked incredible

:jimp:
That's hot.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

It works pretty well for kids but yeah. I’d much rather stay in a hotel.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:54 pm

Yet somehow there are 100s of thousands of them in this country and they are generating iNcOmE and creating massive housing shortages.
There really should be legislation against this. Hawaii found a way to do it. Short term rentals are not allowed outside of Waikiki. You have to rent it for 6 months or something. Because yeah housing costs are ridiculous and only became worse as homes were bought to be short term rentals, reducing the housing stock for residents.
J-Ho-Fo-Show69
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 328, TJ, Grand Trailhawk

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:46 am

If I’m traveling alone, I’d rather stay in a hotel, but if we’re doing a couples trip, like we’re doing this weekend with D Griff to Wilmington, I’d much rather have an Airbnb. Just a heck of a lot more fun than hanging out in the lobby of the hotel, or much awkward one of our hotel rooms. I also can’t cook in my hotel room if I wanted, or have a yard for my dog. Which you all know I love more than anything.

As an airbnb owner myself, I try to make it as easy for the guest as possible. I’ve stayed in some shit airbnbs in the past. Bachelor party to Atlantic City where it was 15 dudes and they stocked the house with 4 towels….. like thanks! Walmart run so I can dry off after a shower. Which we didn’t! Air dried by the pool was most guys choice. Also, AC is. Shithole!

Alas, I’m not taking away some lake lure residents primary house with my house in the mountains. No lake lure local employee is living there. I don’t get Charlotte airbnbs personally. That market has to be pretty dry. Not many people vacationing in the Queen City! Mostly corporate shit. Which I have to imagine they have deals with hotels, etc. Charlotte is epitome of great place to live, shitty to vacation to.

You inventory is being scooped up by hedge funds and private equity. Which accounted for like 35% of all Charlotte transactions last year. That’s where legislation needs to take action. We’re slowly becoming a nation of renters.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

J-Ho-Fo-Show69 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:08 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:46 am

If I’m traveling alone, I’d rather stay in a hotel, but if we’re doing a couples trip, like we’re doing this weekend with D Griff to Wilmington, I’d much rather have an Airbnb. Just a heck of a lot more fun than hanging out in the lobby of the hotel, or much awkward one of our hotel rooms. I also can’t cook in my hotel room if I wanted, or have a yard for my dog. Which you all know I love more than anything.

As an airbnb owner myself, I try to make it as easy for the guest as possible. I’ve stayed in some shit airbnbs in the past. Bachelor party to Atlantic City where it was 15 dudes and they stocked the house with 4 towels….. like thanks! Walmart run so I can dry off after a shower. Which we didn’t! Air dried by the pool was most guys choice. Also, AC is. Shithole!

Alas, I’m not taking away some lake lure residents primary house with my house in the mountains. No lake lure local employee is living there. I don’t get Charlotte airbnbs personally. That market has to be pretty dry. Not many people vacationing in the Queen City! Mostly corporate shit. Which I have to imagine they have deals with hotels, etc. Charlotte is epitome of great place to live, shitty to vacation to.

You inventory is being scooped up by hedge funds and private equity. Which accounted for like 35% of all Charlotte transactions last year. That’s where legislation needs to take action. We’re slowly becoming a nation of renters.
Agreed on all this. Airbnb is nice with family, larger group, etc. That said I could see the value in regulating it in some places (Hawaii maybe makes sense for reasons mentioned above). Lake Lue is interesting as I’m sure it is tough for locals to afford anything but I think wealthy out of town people would buy properties even if they couldn’t rent them :iono: Tough problem to solve, touristy area locals are basically limited to service industry gigs and properties are expensive. At least LL you could live in BFE WNC and that’s probably still cheapish.

I don’t know enough about it to really say but I think you’re right on a lot of probs being caused by banks and foreigners buying our property. Like why are a shitton of American and Canadian homes owned by Chinese? Fuck off with buying up our houses and making our poors poorer if you’re living on the opposite side of the globe.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:05 pm I saw an Emira last weekend in this spec. It looked incredible

If I was going to :troywax: $100k on a car, I think Emira would be it.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I would still 718 Spyder over an Emira, but it'd be close.