Cucktrek: Making Money Never Felt So Good

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:25 am
max225 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:08 am

So now they’ve officially had it for 2 full months… still sitting at 33,995
It’s still there :wtf:
They've had it in their possession for nearly 4 months now. :impressive: :mindblown:

I wonder how long they'll sit on it?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:20 am
max225 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:25 am
It’s still there :wtf:
They've had it in their possession for nearly 4 months now. :impressive: :mindblown:

As long as it takes apparently. It is :amazing: to see that there has been 0 improvement in supply since you traded it in. Subaru has 3 DAYS ON HAND... Down from 60 pre rona.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:56 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:20 am

As long as it takes apparently. It is :amazing: to see that there has been 0 improvement in supply since you traded it in. Subaru has 3 DAYS ON HAND... Down from 60 pre rona.
In January, my dealer got a shipment of Cucktreks and they were all parked out front. It took a month for them all to move, so I assumed inventory got better.

Nope. Haven't seen that since, only a few coming per the website, just :mindblown: supply issues with these things.

But demand isn't strong enough to pay $4k over MSRP for a used one anymore it seems. People are just waiting or not buying now? :iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:19 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:56 pm

In January, my dealer got a shipment of Cucktreks and they were all parked out front. It took a month for them all to move, so I assumed inventory got better.

Nope. Haven't seen that since, only a few coming per the website, just :mindblown: supply issues with these things.

But demand isn't strong enough to pay $4k over MSRP for a used one anymore it seems. People are just waiting or not buying now? :iono:
Yea which is why sales are down 20% YoY... there is a compounding issue of HUGE supply and DEMAND drawdowns happening all at once, and it is masking the fact that things aren't moving anymore.

I.E they used to sell 100, now they sell 50, technically 50% decrease, but they also used to get 100, and now get 50... hence things are still not rotting on lots. We're reaching an equilibrium of sorts.

:fullretard:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:32 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:19 pm

Yea which is why sales are down 20% YoY... there is a compounding issue of HUGE supply and DEMAND drawdowns happening all at once, and it is masking the fact that things aren't moving anymore.

I.E they used to sell 100, now they sell 50, technically 50% decrease, but they also used to get 100, and now get 50... hence things are still not rotting on lots. We're reaching an equilibrium of sorts.

:fullretard:
Just weird that mine's been sitting. It's not like you can just go buy a new one. And even if you can, it looks like most have the :jalepenis: 2.slow :disgust:

Sports still seem somewhat rare. Carvana must have REALLY overpriced mine...
ChrisoftheNorth

And I still kind of miss the stupid thing. 4R is fantastic on the highway, but the fuel economy is :lolol: bad. Not surprising and not at all an issue because I expected it, but the Cucktrek could blast along at 85 and get mid 20's MPG ZFG and drive itself most of the way. The 4R can't get over 17 doing 80 and takes a lot more involvement. The Cucktrek really is a good vehicle, 100% understand why they're so popular.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:53 pm And I still kind of miss the stupid thing. 4R is fantastic on the highway, but the fuel economy is :lolol: bad. Not surprising and not at all an issue because I expected it, but the Cucktrek could blast along at 85 and get mid 20's MPG ZFG and drive itself most of the way. The 4R can't get over 17 doing 80 and takes a lot more involvement. The Cucktrek really is a good vehicle, 100% understand why they're so popular.
in4plac
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:07 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:53 pm And I still kind of miss the stupid thing. 4R is fantastic on the highway, but the fuel economy is :lolol: bad. Not surprising and not at all an issue because I expected it, but the Cucktrek could blast along at 85 and get mid 20's MPG ZFG and drive itself most of the way. The 4R can't get over 17 doing 80 and takes a lot more involvement. The Cucktrek really is a good vehicle, 100% understand why they're so popular.
in4plac
:nope:

Love the 4R too much. Like I said, I knew I'd be dealing with bad fuel economy, so it's not like I'm surprised. The thing is epic on the highway, crazy comfy, reasonably quiet for what it is on the tires I have on it (lightyears better than the Wrangler), even the ancient transmission and power are perfectly fine. It's great, not going anywhere.

But I could see a case for a 2nd vehicle at some point if highway trips become more frequent (they may for work). The 4R would be the adventure mobile and would go on trips for camping and whatnot, but a small thing that gets better mileage could be nice. GR Corolla if it's not 100% RACKOR status, for example.
max225

Yea I miss my Tacoma a lot... but then I remember the downsides. Multi stable car garages are the answer.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:13 pm
Yea I miss my Tacoma a lot... but then I remember the downsides. Multi stable car garages are the answer.
I think so in the long run. The ONLY thing I don't like about the 4R is fuel economy and I can buy A LOT of gas for the price of another car. I'd need other reasons to justify, and so far meh. But I may be traveling more, so the need may grow.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:46 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:13 pm

I think so in the long run. The ONLY thing I don't like about the 4R is fuel economy and I can buy A LOT of gas for the price of another car. I'd need other reasons to justify, and so far meh. But I may be traveling more, so the need may grow.
What happened with the Cruze or Sonic or whatever it was?
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:06 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:46 pm
What happened with the Cruze or Sonic or whatever it was?
Cruze. My mom is waffling on getting a new vehicle. She takes major purchases very seriously, and wants to test drive and think about things. I warned her that the car market doesn't allow that right now, so she's decided to wait the summer out and see if it improves later in the year.

I don't want it, so I'm not pushing her at all. She barely drives, she should just keep it but it's tough for her to get in and out of and she's gotten stuck in the snow a few times so it "makes her nervous" now.
ChrisoftheNorth

I'd just prefer to make the 2nd vehicle something I find fun. Reasonably fuel efficient (mid-20's highway) but decent power with :manuel: and AWD would be ideal. GR Corolla is still top of the consideration list, and since I'm not in a rush it may still be the thing. Also thinking about a :manuel: Countryman or Clubman...I really enjoyed those when I tested them before the Cucktrek. If values start to reflect the normal MINI depreciation, they could be a solid option. I also don't hate the new WRX as much as everyone else does, but :notsure: I'm into Subaru's giant screen BS.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:48 am I'd just prefer to make the 2nd vehicle something I find fun. Reasonably fuel efficient (mid-20's highway) but decent power with :manuel: and AWD would be ideal. GR Corolla is still top of the consideration list, and since I'm not in a rush it may still be the thing. Also thinking about a :manuel: Countryman or Clubman...I really enjoyed those when I tested them before the Cucktrek. If values start to reflect the normal MINI depreciation, they could be a solid option. I also don't hate the new WRX as much as everyone else does, but :notsure: I'm into Subaru's giant screen BS.
I have a tough time with the Rolla... given the price point. But I understand the want. Traditionally rare toyotas are fairly depreciation proof... which is :nice:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:52 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:48 am I'd just prefer to make the 2nd vehicle something I find fun. Reasonably fuel efficient (mid-20's highway) but decent power with :manuel: and AWD would be ideal. GR Corolla is still top of the consideration list, and since I'm not in a rush it may still be the thing. Also thinking about a :manuel: Countryman or Clubman...I really enjoyed those when I tested them before the Cucktrek. If values start to reflect the normal MINI depreciation, they could be a solid option. I also don't hate the new WRX as much as everyone else does, but :notsure: I'm into Subaru's giant screen BS.
I have a tough time with the Rolla... given the price point. But I understand the want. Traditionally rare toyotas are fairly depreciation proof... which is :nice:
Nobody knows about the price point, which is the hard part. BUT, I'm first on the list at my dealer who only sells at MSRP, so IF THEY GET ONE (which is extremely unlikely given our rural regional makeup), I'll have the shot. I suspect I won't have a chance until maybe this time next year at the earliest, and that may work :iono:

But nobody's driven it, so the jury is out if it's a full blown RACEKOR with anus shattering "track tuned" suspension. I really just want a fun fast all-arounder, I'll never take it to the track. I'm more nervous about that than pricing/availability TBH.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:00 pm

Nobody knows about the price point, which is the hard part. BUT, I'm first on the list at my dealer who only sells at MSRP, so IF THEY GET ONE (which is extremely unlikely given our rural regional makeup), I'll have the shot. I suspect I won't have a chance until maybe this time next year at the earliest, and that may work :iono:

But nobody's driven it, so the jury is out if it's a full blown RACEKOR with anus shattering "track tuned" suspension. I really just want a fun fast all-arounder, I'll never take it to the track. I'm more nervous about that than pricing/availability TBH.
It is clearly a RACEKOR expecting anything else is foolish IMO. Especially since you're rolling in one of the best riding toyotas on the planet.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

That is a major piece of the attraction for me. Should I wake up 2 years after the purchase, look in the mirror and wonder what an old man is doing driving the Vapin' Flatbrim Express, unloading it will be neither difficult nor financially painful.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:06 pm

That is a major piece of the attraction for me. Should I wake up 2 years after the purchase, look in the mirror and wonder what an old man is doing driving the Vapin' Flatbrim Express, unloading it will be neither difficult nor financially painful.
If you wanted to experience anus punishment that fits your Age bracket I would roll in a F80 M3. It is the same price point and unlikely to go down anywhere under 30k in 2 years. Yet it'll be superior inside+at the country club/CC flexing
Last edited by max225 on Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

Yea, I see it this way too. Especially if by some miracle my dealer gets one, I'll buy it no matter what try it out, and flip it if I don't like it. Won't lose a dime.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:02 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:00 pm

It is clearly a RACEKOR expecting anything else is foolish IMO. Especially since you're rolling in one of the best riding toyotas on the planet.
They keep advertising its rally "heritage" and "taking it to the dirt" where anus shattering suspension won't work. But I suspect it's marketing managers that have no idea what the car is outside of a few youtube videos they watched.

I'm hoping it's around a GTI, which would still be too harsh for rally, but I found to be a solid compromise between sporty and road friendly.

No car can compare to the 4R. It's a rolling pillow. People whine about brake dive and rolly polly handling, but that's not the point of the thing. The comfort is phenomenal, and having that in the stable could make it OK to have a harder 2nd vehicle. Maybe.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:07 pm

If you wanted to experience anus punishment that fits your Age bracket I would roll in a F80 M3. It is the same price point and unlikely to go down anywhere under 30k in 2 years. Yet it'll be superior inside+at the country club/CC flexing
Totally agree except I would be trading a six cylinder BMW for a six cylinder BMW with 100 more HP and better suspension and tires. Meh. I'm ready for a small hatch again and I think this thing is going to be the undisputed king of that segment. Besides I am getting SO OLD that I can buy whatever I want and its just another idiosyncrasy.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:20 pm

Totally agree except I would be trading a six cylinder BMW for a six cylinder BMW with 100 more HP and better suspension and tires. Meh. I'm ready for a small hatch again and I think this thing is going to be the undisputed king of that segment. Besides I am getting SO OLD that I can buy whatever I want and its just another idiosyncrasy.
Eh... Drive em back to back. F30 is a joke compared to the F80... there is a reason it got a different CHASSIS CODE.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:32 pm

Eh... Drive em back to back. F30 is a joke compared to the F80... there is a reason it got a different CHASSIS CODE.
Chassis code, CHASSIS CODE. I know when I drove the pre-lci 328i f30 loaner long ago, when blind folded, you wouldn't be able to tell whether you're driving a BMW at slower speeds or a Dodge Avenger.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth

New Hype R could give the GR C a run for its money. Won't be AWD tho, but you don't care about that.

I want AWD to make the thing usable in our winter.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:23 pm

New Hype R could give the GR C a run for its money. Won't be AWD tho, but you don't care about that.

I want AWD to make the thing usable in our winter.
Today I learned... that Civic may not be AWD. I thought they were considering it..