:plac: Finds: Show us your automotive goldmines

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Apex wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:09 pm Image

https://www.flemingtonsubaru.com/used-F ... 61BG512713

2011 WRX, 79k miles for $16.9k.
This intrigues me... Might go check it out tomorrow.
Went and test drove this on Saturday. Clutch was shot. :notsure:

Other than that though, the car was easily a 4/7. :dillerman: was also cool about not :dillerman: ing me while I was there. Will look to see what's available when I actually :plac: and something like this will be in the running for sure.
Everything felt great from behind the wheel. Gauges were a nice red that should be easy on the eyes at night. Power was ample during the test drive, and plenty of torques for commuting. Only 5 forward gears doe, so that's a little out-dated but the shifter felt nice. Makes me wonder what a kartboy would feel like in there.

A quick review of autotrader gave another couple of cars down around $15k with similar mileage, so that seems to be a better market price for one. Also, dat widebody is :tits:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:23 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:12 pm
You can keep an eye out. Will do same, there are a few around me for 4000-5500 but with more miles and not original owners.
Let me know what you’d want to do.
Thanks. I really need to make a list of cars that fit the target price range and set some autotrader searches.
The problem is you kind of have to assume she's going to jack the car up. Unintentionally. But a somewhat fast-ish RWD car will allow her to jack it up quicker. Getting something you love is just going to make it hurt that much more when she plows over a mail box or runs into the house while trying to park (my sister did both of those, lol).
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:01 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:09 pm Image

https://www.flemingtonsubaru.com/used-F ... 61BG512713

2011 WRX, 79k miles for $16.9k.
This intrigues me... Might go check it out tomorrow.
Went and test drove this on Saturday. Clutch was shot. :notsure:

Other than that though, the car was easily a 4/7. :dillerman: was also cool about not :dillerman: ing me while I was there. Will look to see what's available when I actually :plac: and something like this will be in the running for sure.
Everything felt great from behind the wheel. Gauges were a nice red that should be easy on the eyes at night. Power was ample during the test drive, and plenty of torques for commuting. Only 5 forward gears doe, so that's a little out-dated but the shifter felt nice. Makes me wonder what a kartboy would feel like in there.

A quick review of autotrader gave another couple of cars down around $15k with similar mileage, so that seems to be a better market price for one. Also, dat widebody is :tits:
That gen looked awful until 2011 when it got the wide body, then it looked good.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:17 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:23 pm

Thanks. I really need to make a list of cars that fit the target price range and set some autotrader searches.
The problem is you kind of have to assume she's going to jack the car up. Unintentionally. But a somewhat fast-ish RWD car will allow her to jack it up quicker. Getting something you love is just going to make it hurt that much more when she plows over a mail box or runs into the house while trying to park (my sister did both of those, lol).
Possible. But I do not have a young Lindsay Vonn here.....she would leave the stoplight in a Dodge Demon with nary a chirp.

But a fair point on the damage.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:16 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:17 pm

Possible. But I do not have a young Lindsay Vonn here.....she would leave the stoplight in a Dodge Demon with nary a chirp.

But a fair point on the damage.
My sister drove all the way to high school and THEN called my mom asking if the truck is supposed to have a mirror on the right side. She took it out while backing it down the driveway hit the mailbox plowed it over and had no idea LOL.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Johnny_P

Oh hey yeah this car is a good deal :derp:

$300k for a car with 162k miles on it.
Johnny_P

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-bmw-m5-37/

Any love for an M5 with an assload of recent maintenance including full engine rebuild but a couple minor-ish accidents on its record? Going for $8500 right now :popcorn:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:44 am https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-bmw-m5-37/

Any love for an M5 with an assload of recent maintenance including full engine rebuild but a couple minor-ish accidents on its record? Going for $8500 right now :popcorn:
:impressive:

I like this. A lot.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:29 am
Oh hey yeah this car is a good deal :derp:

$300k for a car with 162k miles on it.
Yea, this is :fullretard: The slant noses are ugly too. BUT RARE :triggered:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

3.6 Turbo S slantnose? :impressive:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:10 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:44 am https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-bmw-m5-37/

:impressive:

I like this. A lot.
Sad part is it won't go for what it should because of the accidents and tainted carfox. My man clearly took care of it and gave it the attention it deserved. I wouldn't even worry about the mileage really since it's got a new clutch, engine rebuild, fuel pump, brakes, exhaust, etc. No word on suspension and coolant systems though so better budget for a water pump and shocks soon-ish. But man what a car. Awesome interior too.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Depends on the price... damn the amount of work done to that thing is just staggering
max225

Did you guys look at the ppi and the fact that the rear diff, ac compressor, ps are all leaking and that it needs a new bumper and a headlight leveling kit ?
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:14 am Did you guys look at the ppi and the fact that the rear diff, ac compressor, ps are all leaking and that it needs a new bumper and a headlight leveling kit ?
Dang did not see that. My man put like $9k into the car and it needs another $3. No wonder he wants out. This is why old cars blow.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:48 am
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:14 am Did you guys look at the ppi and the fact that the rear diff, ac compressor, ps are all leaking and that it needs a new bumper and a headlight leveling kit ?
Dang did not see that. My man put like $9k into the car and it needs another $3. No wonder he wants out. This is why old cars blow.
///M cars are a nightmare. I have owned an older one... and about to own a new one. Fuck the old nickel and dime BS. These are to be enjoyed only with a warranty and a fixed upfront cost. Why worry about all this BS.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:38 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:48 am

///M cars are a nightmare. I have owned an older one... and about to own a new one. Fuck the old nickel and dime BS. These are to be enjoyed only with a warranty and a fixed upfront cost. Why worry about all this BS.
Any idea how the C63's are? First gen C63's can be had for $25-35k now. There was some head bolt stretch issue but I think that got resolved especially in the later models. I'd imagine any affected cars have been repaired at this point.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:12 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:38 pm

Any idea how the C63's are? First gen C63's can be had for $25-35k now. There was some head bolt stretch issue but I think that got resolved especially in the later models. I'd imagine any affected cars have been repaired at this point.
Pretty good idea actually. :member: i was trying to replace my current car with it.
The "headbolt" issue is from 08-11 IIRC. And it is utter shit, basically headgasket pops and engine hydrolocks. And that engine is 20k+ on a 30-35k vehicle.

Everything else is relatively solid (aside from parts costs for things like brake jobs). But depreciation on even on an OLD vehicle is still HUGE. I was pricing them at 30-40k depending on year/miles (non headbolt issues) and if you actually drove it like me... i.e 15k miles a year, they would be 20-25k in 2 years... since they would approach 100k miles (if purchased around 50k) and that would mean at least as much in maintenance/depreciation as I am paying for the M3. I :nope: 'ed out.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:25 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:12 pm

Pretty good idea actually. :member: i was trying to replace my current car with it.
The "headbolt" issue is from 08-11 IIRC. And it is utter shit, basically headgasket pops and engine hydrolocks. And that engine is 20k+ on a 30-35k vehicle.

Everything else is relatively solid (aside from parts costs for things like brake jobs). But depreciation on even on an OLD vehicle is still HUGE. I was pricing them at 30-40k depending on year/miles (non headbolt issues) and if you actually drove it like me... i.e 15k miles a year, they would be 20-25k in 2 years... since they would approach 100k miles (if purchased around 50k) and that would mean at least as much in maintenance/depreciation as I am paying for the M3. I :nope: 'ed out.
I always wanted one though. I love the C class and the C63 is like a guy that thinks chainsaw throwing is a fun game to play at a dinner party. It's just insane. So you'd need an aftermarket warranty on it if you don't want to shell out $3500 or so for the head bolt job. And yeah depreciation is a bitch. I doubt these will go up in value either. At least, not for another 10 years.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:29 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:25 pm

I always wanted one though. I love the C class and the C63 is like a guy that thinks chainsaw throwing is a fun game to play at a dinner party. It's just insane. So you'd need an aftermarket warranty on it if you don't want to shell out $3500 or so for the head bolt job. And yeah depreciation is a bitch. I doubt these will go up in value either. At least, not for another 10 years.
They will go up in "value" if you keep it parked in a bubble in a garage. I don't plan on doing that with any vehicle I currently own/lease. I want to drive and enjoy it.
Miles decimate the value of those things, and they are relatively common vehicles also. So yes if you bought one for 35k with 40-50k miles and drove it 2k miles a year you'll likely get 25-30k for it 3 years down the line after storing it for the next guy.
Also warranty doesn't cover head bolts unless they fail, AND it costs $4500-6000 on an AMG vehicle. So tax+warranty you're out around 7-10k for a USED vehicle purchase that you will never see again. You can lease a NEW C43 amg for around ~450-500 a month, which is a far better proposition.

But look no further than E55 AMGs for how quickly things depreciate.
Those are the guys you'd be competing with on the "used" market. :disgust:
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d ... 28257.html
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:34 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:29 pm

They will go up in "value" if you keep it parked in a bubble in a garage. I don't plan on doing that with any vehicle I currently own/lease. I want to drive and enjoy it.
Miles decimate the value of those things, and they are relatively common vehicles also. So yes if you bought one for 35k with 40-50k miles and drove it 2k miles a year you'll likely get 25-30k for it 3 years down the line after storing it for the next guy.
Also warranty doesn't cover head bolts unless they fail, AND it costs $4500-6000 on an AMG vehicle.

Good point. A C55 AMG is probably a better call. They should have flatlined by now, and the V8 in them is pretty stout. Dark ages of Benzo interiors though.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:35 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:34 pm
Also warranty doesn't cover head bolts unless they fail, AND it costs $4500-6000 on an AMG vehicle.

Good point. A C55 AMG is probably a better call. They should have flatlined by now, and the V8 in them is pretty stout. Dark ages of Benzo interiors though.

The interiors are great. I am not sure what you're talking about...
Personally I think a C55 is an epic deal. 4 figures for a nice interior/all the kinks worked out. The main downside is the 5 speed auto, it is an ancient slushbox from a JK.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/ ... 90656.html

Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:41 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:35 pm

Personally I think a C55 is an epic deal. 4 figures for a nice interior/all the kinks worked out. The main downside is the 5 speed auto, it is an ancient slushbox from a JK.

I've driven a C350 from that era and it was.... eh alright inside I guess. Certainly felt very dated. Guess it was decently built though. The C350 I drove had a 7G-Tronic so I can't comment on the 5-speed, but the 7-speed was really smooth and silky.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:46 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:41 pm

I've driven a C350 from that era and it was.... eh alright inside I guess. Certainly felt very dated. Guess it was decently built though. The C350 I drove had a 7G-Tronic so I can't comment on the 5-speed, but the 7-speed was really smooth and silky.
They are all "smooth and silky" which is an issue when you are actually trying to get on the car. Widely spaced gears and slow shifting... yay welcome to the 90s. They will all be dated on the inside, but look at that car with 160k miles... no rips in the seats, no saggy headliner etc. They are screwed together well... but yea Iphone wasn't around yet, so no angry birds will driving on the center screen.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:48 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:46 pm

They are all "smooth and silky" which is an issue when you are actually trying to get on the car. Widely spaced gears and slow shifting... yay welcome to the 90s. They will all be dated on the inside, but look at that car with 160k miles... no rips in the seats, no saggy headliner etc. They are screwed together well... but yea Iphone wasn't around yet, so no angry birds will driving on the center screen.
I'd rather have a 4Runner I think.